36: A Talk of the Town
53 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Thanks for reading my work and supporting me! I'll be taking a little break for the next couple of weeks. See you, folks, the 1st or 2nd week in March!

The throne of the Eumelian Republic had retained for themselves powers that would ordinarily fall to the executive branch, legislature, and judicial branches, in countries that were more purely democratic. They also held certain symbolic and constitutional powers that were partially supported by the temples that made up Eumelia’s core faiths. Thus the royal family continued to hold a great amount of political power, and constitutional power, within the Republic.

The current ruler of Eumelia was her Majesty, Queen Polymnia Melody. Tall, elegant, haughty, and swan-like. Her skin was a hearty orange-brown. Her elbow-length hair was dark gold and worn in loose-style beneath the simple gold crown she wore. Her face was diamond-shaped and comely. Her nose was small. Her lips were puffy. Her eyes were a chimeric orange-green. Her clothing was staunchly militaristic, yet still held a touch of clear femininity and grace. On her hand, she wore a wedding band, a ring marking her as a follower of the chief local faith, and the old bronze ring that was passed down between the Melody clan’s family heads.

This was Eumelia’s Queen. The consummate image of a warrior-queen. Haughty, high-handed, and arrogant, but grounded and made down to earth due to her military background, and the tides of time. Polymnia currently sat on the throne she’d sit on, when she was overseeing one of the minor, less pomp-filled, meetings of Eumelia’s parliament.

It had been a long day. Her attention had wavered a bit, but Polymnia was roughly certain that they were still in the middle of planning a banquet that the nation was throwing to celebrate a certain holy day. They would also be using that day to show off to their neighbors across Eumelia’s borders, by inviting their allies abroad to attend.

*************************************************************************************************************

Alanna Dorothea was naturally also present in parliament that day. After she and the other representatives had already settled were the refugees of one of the more recent large-scale magical disasters to hit the continent would be going to, she was now obliged to sit and listen to some of her current political frenemies argue about their right to host the event at issue. Since these same frenemies' votes were what allowed her to push back some troublesome nimbyism that her other peers were showing in regards to giving aid and shelter to some of Eumelia’s long-time allies.

Besides, it’s not like Alanna particularly cared about what was being argued anyway. The refugees were taken care of, thus defending the republic’s honor and reputation. And it had been done in a way that wouldn’t negatively affect the people of Eumelia, thus assuring the republic’s stability. Her lands were already fairly prosperous, she had no need to care who’s cities got the tourist trade that would come directly before, during, and after the holy day’s big event.

Meanwhile, Alanna was pretty sure the queen was looking at her. Naturally, she didn’t turn to look back. Not only could that be considered a minor lese majeste if it were taken the wrong way, being seen as being overly close to the queen whether for good or for ill, would bring Alanna unwanted attention.

An hour later, the talks were finally over and parliament finally adjourned for the month. Everyone would return to their lands to set the plans they’ve agreed upon in motion, as well as seeing to their other business. Alanna, herself, couldn’t help sighing as she recalled that she’d likely need to play host to her family’s other households again. It was getting to be “that” time again. The period where all the households would get together, and talents in the junior generation would stand out before Alanna, and the family’s elders and executives, to gain acknowledgment and the family’s cultivation.

“Alright, folks. I think we’ve all jawed long enough. I hereby pronounce this meeting adjourned,” said the current speaker of the house. A tall woman with feathers for hair, and serpent-like slit-pupiled eyes.

Alanna and the other representatives bowed before the throne and saluted the flag and sigil of Eumelia that were mounted and carved behind the throne. Then all the representatives turned to leave the hall of parliament, filing out through its large double doors. Just as Alanna was at the door, a voice called her.

“Oh, Representative Dorothea…If it wouldn’t be too much trouble, I’d like to borrow a moment of your time,” said the voice of the queen.

Alanna froze. Several of her peers did the same, turning to give the Dorothea clan head, a curious, sidelong, look. At that moment, Alanna would have liked nothing more than to say now. Apologize, while making up some excuse for why she was busy, and scurry off. In fact, she might have done just that if it was anyone other than the queen calling her. It wouldn't do for her to offend the throne. Thus instead, Alanna closed her eyes, prayed for patience, and put on a calm, respectful, but suitably reserved smile before turning and bowing.

“Yes, your majesty. If you would like to talk, this humble servant is at your disposal,” said Alanna.

“Very good…Please, meet me in my office,” said Queen Polymnia. Smiling lightly as if she’d expected no other answer.

“Uh, the one in this building, your majesty?” said Alanna. Trying not to betray that she was still hoping that this would be just a small brief matter.

“Ah, no…We’d prefer to meet in the palace if that’s okay,” said Queen Polymnia.

“Mh…Very well, your majesty…” said Alanna. Using all her willpower to abstain from throwing a tantrum.

*************************************************************************************************************

Fifteen minutes of walking, and one very short car ride later, and Alanna found herself inside the queen’s personal office within the palace. While this office did have a desk and workspace in the traditional sense, it wasn’t the office that she generally came to do work in. There was a separate official office for that, and there was a secondary, or rather tertiary, office located in the House of Parliament.

The Office that Alanna was currently standing in had a big-screen television, several gaming consoles, a hookah lamp, several sofas, and resting pillows in it. It was less an office, and more like a royal breakroom, and from what Alanna knew it was something like the queen’s inner-sanctum. A place that Alanna should feel a touch privileged to see, if Alanna’s presence there didn’t also put a great deal of pressure on Alanna.

“So…How’s that ‘thing’ I asked you about going?” said Queen Polymnia. Lying languidly on a sofa like a leopard on a sturdy tree branch.

“Ah, well…I’m afraid, as I feared and suspected, the answer was no, your majesty,” said Alanna. Stifling a sigh and an eye roll, because she’d been fairly certain what this little talk was going to be about.

Alanna was never going to be able to hide the matter of the Empire of Violet’s attack on her life. After all, the man the empire had sent to kill had been a low-sovereign ranked elite. From there, she’d had to explain how she’d survived, after all, Alanna was good but she was not yet, “that” good. Ordinarily, that day should have been the last day of her life, but it wasn’t because her son saved her. A thing that still filled her with some faint warmth and relief, because in truth, Alanna hadn’t been entirely certain that the boy didn’t secretly hold animosity for her. Especially for her part in his mistreatment and malalignment by the rest of the Dorothea family.

To make matters worse, and more public, the kingdom of Mirsada, where Alanna had been meeting her son, had made a public statement. Placing a “temporary” moratorium on Alanna’s entry into the country for the time being. A thing that was embarrassing, but also very normal, since Eumelia had often done the same, when some powerful, or influential, so-and-so ended up tracking “mud” and conflicts into their borders.

The moratorium was later lifted when Violent apologized for the actions of its noble, signifying an end to the conflict between Alanna and Violet. However, that drew more attention to the whole situation. Now there were a whole lot of questions about Alanna’s first conceived, who was still not her eldest born. Alanna’s forthrightness about the whys and wherefores of her monthly trips to Mirsada was of great aid to her. Since everything was done openly and above board, Alanna was able to use basic rules of social etiquette to avoid most of the prying eyes and questions. Of course, when it came to the royal family, and Alanna’s own family, things weren’t that simple.

Alanna’s heart was made ten degrees colder as she found that the Dorothea clan’s long-term memory was worse than she thought. The other executives and elders of the clan kept asking why Alanna had hidden such good news from the rest of the family. The old monsters and ambitious younger household-heads, all believed that she could and should somehow order the boy to come back to the family, to serve the family’s ends.

“So, you’re sure there’s nothing our republic couldn’t offer the boy to make him consider entering the service of the Republic?” said Queen Polymnia.

“I’m afraid not, your majesty,” said Alanna. Shaking her head.

As for the royal family, it was only understandable that they’d take a close interest in the existence of another sovereign-ranked elite. Especially one that was as powerful as her son appeared to be. Especially one that apparently was already doing business with them in myriad industries. Especially one that was still under thirty years of age.

“What if I were to convey that doing such could affect the Dorothea clan’s standing?” said Queen Polymnia.

Alanna froze and frowned. Her eyes narrowed slightly. The Queen’s words spoke of carrots, but there was something about the woman’s tone and look that told Alanna that she was being subtly threatened and shown the stick instead. Which was the point where Alanna finally gave up. She’d been playing the part of a stuffy-stuff for the last 17 hours. She’d just wanted to go home, but she was stuck here, doing whatever this was instead.

Alanna sighed and she sagged, and she shrugged.

“If I might speak plainly, your highness,” said Alanna.

“Go ahead…” said Queen Polymnia.

“As I’ve said numerous times…Things between my son and I are…complicated…I might not have been particularly plain about it…but suffice to say that my visits weren’t under the most auspicious of terms, and there is a reason that they were visits to Mirsada, rather than my son, who was born in Eumelia returning to his childhood home,” said Alanna.

“I understand…It’s hard to do…all that we do and be good mothers and wives at the same time…” said Queen Polymnia. Her cold tone was a notch sympathetic, as her thoughts went back to issues in her own household. With four Prince-Consorts, and 36 potential heirs, even if the media didn’t dare speak of it overmuch, it was a well-known thing that the Melody Household was a bit of a mess.

“...Yes,” said Alanna. Not expecting the sudden sympathy.

“Which is why, I would like your majesty to believe me when I say, that I wish I could help you and the republic in regards to my son, Ellis, but that’s simply just not the case. After spending a few years believing my son was dead…I learned that his death was at least partially my fault, and was definitely caused by others that I would have trusted to look after my household when I can’t…I don’t have the import and influence you seem to believe I have,”

“The last few years since the discovery of my son alive and well, weren’t just for the sake of it…I have been me trying to rebuild a broken bond…And at my most optimistic I can only say I have only barely begun to succeed in that endeavor…At the moment, I honestly cannot say that should the earth open up and swallow the Dorothea household, or the heavens place on a golden mountain, my son would care either way…He would not cry if we were all slain, nor would he cheer if we became exalted…I’m fairly certain my son…Ellis “Holst”…Is apathetic to the fate of the Dorothea…” said Alanna.

Revealing for the first time, that her son had completely cast aside his old surname. Revealing that “Ellis Holst” wasn’t just a traveling name, or pseudo-name, taken for reasons of convenience. Revealing with two words, that her eldest son had ostensibly disowned the clan of his birth. A thing she hadn’t quite hidden, but until now, Alanna had refrained from emphasizing because sure things just generally weren’t done, especially amongst the upper-class clans. Making this change of name a thing could potentially bring a heavy disgrace to the Dorothea clan.

“.......”

“.......”

For a few minutes, the two women simply sat in silence. Then after taking a sip of tea the queen said,

“Are you saying your son married into a different family by any chance?”

“No, your majesty…While he has married in the time since I’ve seen him last, it was fairly clear that the “Holst” clan was his own creation,” said a somber Alana. Shaking her head tiredly.

“Ah…Well…In…In that case, that’ll be all for the evening. Thank you for your time,” said Queen Polymnia.

“...Anytime, your highness,” said Alanna. Exhaustedly getting up from the couch she was sitting on, and letting the palace staff show her the palace’s exit.

 

5