46: Continental Conference
52 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Here are the chapters for the week...Sorry for missing last week...And being late this week. I've needed to make some adjustments to my schedule after taking on a new job. Thank you to everyone who's been reading my work and supporting me. You folks are great!

Countessa Alanna Dorothea washed her hands after finishing in the restroom of the republic of Aster’s State House. At her current cultivation level, she normally didn’t need to use such facilities, but something at the state dinner she’d just attended had disagreed with her. Alanna suspected she’d just been poisoned. There’d been something off about the fish that had been being served, and it hadn’t just been poor preparation, or unfamiliar spices.

Though thankfully, it was too weak to overcome her natural and cultivated immunities to such things, she’d taken a few samples that she’d seen to the Dorothea family’s corporate laboratories for testing. If her suspicions were right, she might not necessarily act on it personally, but she’d file the grievance away, as fodder for the next time Eumelia needed leverage on the republic of Aster. Allowing a diplomatic guest to come to harm while they were under one’s care was something that would greatly affect a nation’s face if it came to light.

After finishing up in the restroom, Alanna headed back out. Walking down an ornate hallway filled with countless old treasures, and down an ornate staircase, to stand amidst a crowd of penguins and peacocks, that stood in the banquet hall of the State House chatting. A gathering made up of the leaders of all the nations within the continent, as part of an annual conference that always took place before a second conference that would include the folks overseas, and a few folks from Velena-Rana’s neighboring dimensions

************************************************************************************************************

Alanna entered the mob of people, doing her best to avoid tripping and making a fool of herself, because the press was also present, and heaven forbid those in power do something human, lest it show weakness, or ignorance, or some other fatal failing that would affect one’s electability.  As she made her way through the floor, she smiled and made small talk with a few familiar faces. Staying polite, but distant enough that there'd be no hint of impropriety, since a lot of those smiling faces were technically enemies of the Eumelia government.

Alanna eventually was able to make it back to her own countries group. A cliquish gathering made up of Eumelia’s people, and headed by the queen herself.

“Ah, you’re back,” said Queen Polymnia Melody. The tall swan-like woman wore a pale-blue dress suit that complemented her warm orange-brown skin and dark-blonde hair. On her head, she wore a simple circlet instead of the ornate crowns that wore on ceremonial occasions.

“Yes, your highness…I’m afraid, I was having a bit of stomach trouble,” said Alanna.

“Hmph, I knew there was something dodgy about that fish they were serving,” said Alanna. Eyes narrowing agitatedly, because even though she likely wasn’t going to kick a fuss about the matter now, she was still thoroughly offended that someone would attack her people while she was standing right there.

“There was something dodgy about the wine too,” said a man who was standing next to the Queen. The man’s name was Darius Flint. He was a fellow representative of the Eumelian parliament, and was present as a secondary aid to the queen, with Alanna being the primary aid.

“Hmph…Those old foxes in Aster’s congress must be ‘really’ going senile if they’re testing us like this already…” muttered Polymnia.

“Hey, isn’t that Prime Minister Kulikov?” said the male representative.

“Hm…Oh, so it is…He’s looking a little gray around the gills I see…” said Polymnia.

“Nhn,’ said Alanna. Nodding. As she saw the normally haughty and stalwart man walking a little more stoop-backed, and showing his 100+ years of age. His dark buzz-cut showed a lot more gray than it had held the last time the Prime Minister of Mirsada had made a public appearance.

“I can’t blame him…Considering the pressure the Violet Empire started putting on Mirsada all of sudden…I used to think they were friends…They certainly seem to hold similar ideas when it comes to governance…” said the male representative.

“The Violets aren’t friends with anybody…They’re too busy remembering when they used to own half the continent…Still, you’re not wrong about them,” said Polymnia. Brow furrowing, because even Eumelia found itself being pressured to pressure Mirsada. A curious and alarming state of affairs, because it revealed that A) there was someone pulling Violet’s strings, and B) whoever it was, they were powerful enough that they could give wings to the tiger that was the Violet Empire. Granting the empire, a frightening amount of influence.

Polymnia turned her head and found the current head of Violet’s political world, and Violet’s representative for the Continental Conference, Lucinda Jane Lavender. The current Crown-Princess, and future Empress, of the Violet Empire. A tall, imposing, young woman, with dark skin, spiky gray hair, and pale-purple eyes. Dressed in the Empire's royal colors. 

Polymnia ended up looking a bit too long, and caught the young woman’s eye. Lucinda nodded and smiled, and Polymnia smiled back. The two women shared some false goodwill before breaking eye-contact. Polymnia couldn’t help feeling annoyed because she could recall that not so long ago, Lucinda, and her mother, the current Empress, had been looking even more distressed than Prime Minister Kulikov currently looked.

Polymnia mulled Mirsada’s matter over in her head, as she’d done countless times in the last few months. Almost overnight, the kingdom of Mirsada became the enemy of not only the entire continent, but the entirety of Velana-Rana and many of its neighboring servers. This wasn’t just nations. Everyone had been called. The temples, the old families, the corporations, the guilds, the criminal underground. All the forces of heaven, earth, and hell.

There was no clear explanation for it, all that was clear was that everyone found themselves compelled to suppress Mirsada through any means they had. Despite investigating the details, Polymnia still had no clue of how all those disparate forces could be made to step forward. All she knew was that the sheer pressure that was brought forward was so great, that it was a miracle that Mirsada was still a country after all that.

Polymnia turned her gaze to Alanna who suddenly found herself intensely interested in the decor of the Aster statehouse. Gazing up at some overhanging crystals.

“Countessa Dorothea…” said Polymnia.

“...Yes, your highness?” said Alanna. Stifling a sigh.

“That son of yours…Did he ever get back to you about accepting my invitation for tea?” said Polymnia.

“Unfortunately, not, your highness….” said Alanna.

“And you ‘are’ extending those invitations as I’ve asked, yes?” said Polymnia. Her tone grew arched, as the feeling of anxiety towards a dangerous unknown kept growing.

“Yes, your highness…As we…discussed…before. I’m afraid I don’t have much say on my son’s actions and activities…” said Alanna. Feeling a bit put upon, because they were in a very public place, and she didn’t really want to air her dirty laundry before all the power-players of their continent’s political world.

“Ah…Right…my apologies,” said Polymnia. Unwittingly making the matter worse, as her words drew the attention of the male representative and other politicians who happened to be nearby and listening in.

“Not at all, your highness…My earnest apologies for failing to fulfill your command,” said Alanna. Bowing deeply, but not so deeply that she drew looks from the surroundings.

Polymnia frowned. Suddenly feeling like she was wasting time at this conference. Suddenly feeling like she should be back home cultivating. What was the point of all this talk and schmoozing, when there were people out there who could make the whole world shake with their personal strength alone?

Though rationally, she knew her work as the head of the Eumelia state was important, the mysterious goings-on the Violent Empire, and Mirsada, had Polymnia despairing that one day she might find herself stepping afoul of some unknown being, and letting all her hard work come undone. In the end, she quickly made plans to try and do whatever she could to meet the enigma known as Ellis Holst face to face.

 

5