Chapter 123: Food for Thought
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"And this here is the kitchen." Sheila stood in front of the entrance to the cooking area. There was no door. Instead, a large archway gave view to a room containing tables, fridges, counters and cupboards in an immaculately white space. Gurk stood in the middle of the archway, staring at the large metal refrigerator along the back wall. 

"Are you hungry, Gurk?" Sheila asked politely. 

"Kinda," the crocodile replied. 

"Perhaps we could fix you up something to eat then!" Sheila entered first with Gurk trailing directly behind her. 

"Sure!"

Janus and Itzel entered in next, both taking in the surrounding décor. Once all were inside, a woman popped up from underneath the tables. Startled, she jumped back upon seeing Gurk staring back at her. 

"Oh, goodness!" the older woman exclaimed as she put a gloved hand against the frill and lace top she wore. Her big green pupils shrunk once she saw that Gurk remained still. "Are these the guests that you were talking about earlier, Sheila?" the woman said with a tremble.

The young woman nodded. "Yes Mother! These are the kind people that helped Father take out that Essencima that attacked our Transporter." Sheila then gave Gurk a pair of gentle pats on his stomach. "And this one protected me while the others went to take on that dreadful creature."

"Why, thank you, sir!" The mother went around the table and met with Gurk face to face. She reached down and took hold of one of his scaly hands, pressing it gently with hers. She then looked at him in the eyes. The woman wore a wide smile on her aged yet clear face. From the waist down her body was completely covered by a long and elegant skirt, much like that of her daughter. Their complexions also matched, along with the color of the hair, making the fact that they were mother and daughter even more evident as they stood side by side.

"I would like to thank you two as well!" she said as she turned towards Janus and Itzel. "For all we know, my entire family could have been wiped out today if it weren't for your bravery and quick thinking!"

"It's all part of the job, ma'am," Janus replied with a smug grin, accompanying his response with a short tweak of his glasses. 

"It is comforting to know that there are people like you three who are always putting your lives on the line to make sure that people are safe from dangerous monsters like Essencima." She extended her hand, shaking Itzel's first and then Janus. "My name is Evelyn."

"Pleasure to meet you," Itzel said.

With greetings out of the way, Evelyn angled herself towards the fridge. "Surely you must be tired of the food they provided on the Transporter! I know people don't ride it for the cuisine. Perhaps I could whip up something for you in the kitchen?"

"Sure," Gurk said bluntly with enthusiasm. 

"Just give me one moment and I'll make something for you!" Evelyn moved towards the large metal fridge, shining the light upon the guests. She scoured it from top to bottom before looking back towards the crocodile. "What kind of meat would you like?"

"He can't have meat," Sheila replied. "Makes his body... uncomfortable."

"Say no more." Evelyn continued to dig through the contents of the fridge before exiting with arms full of containers. She kicked the door to the fridge shut before returning to the counter and placing the contents of the fridge across the top. "Anything catches your fancy?"

The members of the Labrisson Slayers all poured over the ingredients placed before them. Fresh fruit and vegetables were strewn across the table along with a wide assortment of spices and condiments. Gurk eyes widened upon seeing cauliflower sitting in the middle. 

"That!" he said enthusiastically, pointing at the vegetable. Evelyn reached down and lifted up the head of cauliflower and examined it. 

"I could make something with this," she said with confidence. "But I'm guessing that you'll be able to eat a lot more than just small bit right here."

Gurk nodded. 

"Let me go down to our stashes then. We should have some more. That way I can cook up a proper meal!"

"Thanks!" Gurk watched the woman move out of the kitchen and down the hall, leaving the others behind. 

"Your family sure is generous, Sheila," Janus said. 

"It's part of being a Grani," the young woman said with a big grin. "We are quite fortunate. It's important to understand that very few people can live like we do. That's why we always help out whenever we can."

"If only the upper class of Labrisson thought the same way you did," Itzel replied.

"How unfortunate," Sheila said with a sigh. "It's a shame that so few people are willing to part with even just a fraction of what they own, even if it means helping out those that truly deserve it."

Itzel pulled out one of the chairs from underneath a table and sat down. "When you're an Exterminator in Labrisson, you get used to it." She plucked an apple from the pile of produce and eyed for any spots. After a quick inspection she took a chomp out of it.

"Here's to you three finding more fortune in your careers with Rumble Circuit!" Sheila cheered as she took a seat on the opposite end of the table. She lifted a fresh peach and began to nibble on the flesh. "You can be sure that I'm going to watch every single one of your matches the moment they come on. And I'll be sure to send a special Contribution your way!" she said with a wink.

"Appreciate it," Janus replied as he sifted through the remaining produce. Once they were all seated, Evelyn came in from the hallway, lugging a crate with cauliflower. Gurk got up and took the vegetables out of her hands and placed it on the table. 

"Thank you, Gurk," the mother said as she clapped her hands. "Help yourself to whatever is on the table. Consider it an appetizer for the main course that is soon to come."

"Thanks!" Gurk took his hand and scooped up half of the food on the counter before cradling it against his body. He took out a celery plant, tilted his head back and devoured it one bite. Sheila stared both in awe and worry as he hoisted another stalk of celery and ate it in its entirety immediately. 

"Don't fill yourself up, now," Evelyn said with a chuckle. "Then you won't have any room for what I'm about to prepare."

"Come on big guy. Don't be rude." Itzel put a hand on Gurk's elbow and pointed at the counter with the other. "We don't want to clear out these nice folks' fridge."

"Sorry." Gurk placed the remainder of the food he had back onto the counter. 

"Don't apologize! We've got plenty of food. But maybe I can show you around our home some more while Mother finishes getting your supper ready," Sheila said. 

"Sounds good."

Sheila jumped up and clapped her hands together, smiling with glee. "Excellent! Hopefully our Servant Bots have kept this place tidy." She took Gurk by the hand again and led him out of the kitchen. Itzel took another bite from her apple and followed behind her with Janus trailing right behind.


Art Spotlight: Evelyn Grani

2