Chapter 130: Like Father, Like Daughter
51 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How's my little girl doing!" Mag exclaimed after bursting the door to the lab. A startled Sheila turned around to see her father with his arms spread open wide as he moved in a hug. She eagerly accepted, sprinting to Mag and embraced him tightly. "I knew you could do it!"

"My first catch, Father!" Sheila said as her father hoisted her up. "All I can say... is that it feels exhilarating!"

"If you thought that was a rush, just wait until the big day!" Mag let his daughter down gently and put his hands on her shoulders. She looked at him with big eyes and an even bigger smile. "It's one thing to detain targets. But actually going out into the field where they're willing to kill you? That's a completely different experience altogether!"

"I understand, Father. But I've done well on the simulations!"

"That you have, that you have. But you know just as well as I do that those simulations are only so accurate. Those programs will only get you understanding the basics. You’d be surprised at how differently a hunter acts when their life is on the line."

"Isn't that why I'm sticking with you, Father? So you can show me how to properly hunt?"

"It is, it is. But I don't want you thinking that because you've been acing all those practice modules that you're able to do what my friends and I can! I've seen a few rookies go all gung-ho on one of their first hunts only to end up as Essencima or Neo-Sapia chow."

"I will be careful, Father! You know how am I with my studies."

"Now you know that filling out a homework assignment and doing an essay once a week does not compare to actual experience on the field, all right?'

Sheila lowered her head. "I know."

"That's why you'll be sticking to my side for the duration of the event. Is that understood?"

Mag's daughter nodded. "Yes, Father."

"Good. But that doesn't mean I'm not proud of you for what you've done today!" Mag walked to the dormancy chamber that contained Gurk. He slapped his hand against the metal casing and peered into the tiny window of the door. "This Neo-Sapia may not be too bright when compared to us regular folk, but he's definitely a formidable fighter. One wrong move and he could have iced you solid!"

"I doubt that Father." Sheila walked next to Mag and stood on her balls of her feet to look inside the chamber window. "He's a very friendly creature. I don't see him attacking me even if I pulled a high-powered concussion blaster on him."

"That's true. Regardless, what you did is something that most people wouldn't be capable of achieving. They'd see that big crocodile and turn away. But you," Mag turned to look at Sheila. "But you managed to catch him using wits alone! Now that's a Grani move if I've ever seen one!"

"I learned from the best!" Sheila said with a wink. "Did you get in touch with the others that will be attending the Hunt?"

"I did. They'll be here on time. I'll make sure of it."

"Good," Sheila replied. She kept her arms crossed in front of her body while her eyes cocked towards her father. "I've waited eight years to be old enough to join you on a hunt! I don't want to wait a minute longer than I have to because of your friends being arrogant!"

"I told them how important tomorrow is to you, sweetheart. And I'm sure they'll be here on time, hell.. even early... with the incentive I put up."

The young woman's eyes grew. "Incentive?"

"It's part of your birthday surprise. You'll find out tomorrow."

Sheila pressed the palm of her hand over her heart. "I can't take the wait anymore, Father. I'm too excited."

"I know. I was the same way too when I first went with my Father on my first hunt." Mag looked up towards the ceiling with longing eyes. "I can still remember it. Clearly."

"I do too," Sheila said jokingly. "You tell me the story whenever you get a chance."

"Right. Just getting a bit sentimental is all." Mag took the back of his hand and wiped away a stray tear that dripped from his right eye. "I just... never thought the day would come where I would get to take my own child on her very own Hunt. Time flies by so fast." He stuttered with his breath before walking towards Sheila once more. He took her in a hug, both wrapping their arms around the other's body and hugging tight. Mag gave her a series of soft pats on the back. 

"You know, I always hated the phrase 'time goes by so fast.' I've heard my parents say that all the time growing up," Mag said quietly. But when you're young... you don't see life that way. You just want to get older. You want to do your own thing and be free from the tyranny of parents. But ever since we had you... that statement couldn't be more correct. Seems like just yesterday you were still in diapers." He ended the hug and stretched his arms out straight, keeping both hands on his daughter's shoulders and she stared back at him with tears forming on the cusp of her eyelids.

"Stop it, Father. You're going to make me cry too."

Mag released the young woman and began scratching the back of his head. "Of course. Don't wanna embarrass you on such an important occasion. Better get in the habit of doing all that dopey father stuff." He looked up to the metal prison holding Gurk. "The other Neo-Sapia in our possession are ready for deployment as well. All that's left is to set up the Eco-Sphere and do a bit of last-minute preparation."

"I'm a bit sleepy at the moment." Sheila opened her mouth wide and blocked the escaping yawn as best as she could with her hand. "I think a little nap could do me well before the Hunt tomorrow. Don't want to be tired."

"No, no. Don't want that. Go ahead and get some shut eye. I'll be sure to get the final bit of prepping done."

Sheila headed towards the door, pausing at the entrance to turn around and face Mag. "Thank you, Father. I'll see you later tonight for some last-minute training modules?" 

"You know it!" Mag said with a wink. 

2