Chapter 134: Motherly Instinct
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Oh, Bodahn! Welcome, welcome." Evelyn held the door to the front entrance of the estate's main building wide open. Standing in front of her was a man completely covered from head to toe. A black mask hid his face while unruly dark brown hair flowed underneath the wide brim hat he wore. Across his shoulders was a dusty cloak that covered half of his white button-up shirt. He carried a long satchel over his shoulder while remaining motionless and staring back at the woman. 

"Afternoon ma'am," the masked man said, giving Evelyn a two-fingered salute. His voice had a deep and distinct drawl to it.

"You're the first one here. Seems like the others are running late."

"As usual." Bodahn walked past Evelyn and looked around the estate. "Is Mag upset?"

"Of course he is," the woman replied, placing one hand on her hip. She fanned herself with her gloved hand as she rolled her eyes. "He's making such a fuss because the other two haven't shown up at the time he told them too."

"Sounds just like him."

"Well, he is a very punctual man. It's important to be that way when you're an investor."

"Doesn't make it any more bearable. But I understand where he's coming from. It's for Sheila's overdue birthday. He's just trying to make the day as special as possible for her."

"Exactly. It's just that he puts so much pressure onto the entire family... sometimes it becomes so stressful." Evelyn began to sob, wiping away a single tear from her eye with her finger. "I'm sorry. I'm just... stressed out at the moment. I haven't slept since last night. With all the cleaning... and cooking... and other preparations..."

Bodahn turned around and dropped his bag to the ground, letting it crash with a metallic clank. "Sounds like you've got other problems bothering you besides Mag's obsession with punctuality." He placed one hand on her shoulder. Evelyn kept her head down, tears still running down the side of her face. "No one else is here. You can tell me what's really got ya bothered."

"Oh, it's that Hunt! I'm always worried whenever Mag goes out. But now that little Sheila is tagging along..." Her crying intensified as she buried her face into her hands. Bodahn patted her on the back softly. 

"I'm sure Sheila will do just fine, Missus Grani. She's a smart girl, that's for sure. And everyone's got to do something for the first time. With Mag working alongside her, I know they'll make it out intact."

"I wish I could have the same confidence in this as you do." Evelyn sighed quietly. She pulled out a handkerchief from the pocket of her dress and wiped away the remaining moisture off her face. "Maybe it's because she's growing up so fast! Seems like just yesterday that we first dropped her off at Academy."

"My Ma was the same way when I first tagged along with my Pa on one of your family's sponsored Hunts. I guess that's just how mothers work."

"I suppose. Nothing gets me more worked up than wondering what's going to happen to my family today. I can't help but think of the worst."

"Me and my Pa did just fine during our hunts. We never killed anything outside some of the Essencima that spawn in there, but still. We both came home safe and sound. Mag's the best there is at this. If anyone is gonna keep your daughter safe, it's him."

"Why couldn't Sheila be like other girls her age and want a marketing campaign for her own personal Broadcast? At least that way I would know for certain that she's safe."

"She takes after her Pa. And that just means he's been a good father."

"A good father would convince her to do something else for her twentieth birthday. We have enough money to send her anywhere on Tersaia yet she chooses to spend the day going through that Eco-Dome... in the jungle. With all those creatures and Essencima." She sniffled once before looking at Bodahn with sorrowful eyes. "I've seen the targets this time. The two birds don't seem to be much of a threat. But that other one. The crocodile from Labrisson…" The woman's eyes bulged at the thought of Gurk. "He's friendly in person but I have a feeling he poses a serious threat!"

"I know who you're talking about. I went over the briefing file Mag sent me last night. And I'm inclined to agree, Ma'am. That Gurk fellow is one to watch out for. But we've gotten through worst. I've seen Mag take out multiple Neo-Sapia on his own. Doesn't matter how big and brutish that croc fellow is. Mag is gonna take care of him."

"I can only hope you're right. There's always this nagging feeling in the back of my head that this will be the one time things go wrong. Maybe it's just my motherly instinct driving me to worry... but I still can't shake it. At all."

Bodahn nodded, bobbing his head up and down as he contemplated Evelyn's words. She still looked worried; her eyes unable to remain focused on the masked man in front of her. "Tell ya what, Missus Grani. I'm gonna watch over your daughter. That's gonna be my main goal today. To ensure that Sheila has the best birthday possible. It’s already been partially ruined by being so late. But otherwise, I think it’s set up to be her most memorable one yet! Of course, that means making sure that she ends up safe and sound once this is all done."

"You'd do that?" Evelyn asked, her sobbing now non-existent. 

"'Course! After all that you and your family have done for mine? Least I can do. Not too many people are willing to even talk to Outskirters, let alone invite 'em over to their home."

"Even if it means falling behind during the Hunt? I know how important getting those kills is to you boys. And the fact that you have never gotten one already makes you seem... inexperienced. I've heard them making fun of you after every session."

"Ah, that doesn't bother me in the slight. I mostly tagged along to spend time with Pa. Getting a trophy here and there never interested me. The experience was what I was really looking forward to."

Evelyn took Bodahn in a big embrace. She hugged him tight, patting him on the back as she smiled into his shoulder. "Thank you, thank you. I will say that I do feel somewhat better knowing that she's got multiple people looking after her."

"My pleasure! Now, I was wondering. You got any snacks ready?" Evelyn ended the hug, allowing Bodahn to rub his stomach as his eyes continued to wander around the estate. "It's a long ride from Sano Mosado to here. Especially when you've got a junker for a carrier."

"You're just in just in luck!" Evelyn's enormous smile returned. She clapped her hands twice and began walking down the estate's corridor. "I've prepared a fresh platter of sandwiches. They're in Mag's office. He's in there with Sheila getting plans ready. You're more than welcome to stop by and help yourself."

"I'd be delighted, Missus Grani."


Art Spotlight: Bodahn Petchke

2