Chapter 140: Father-Daughter Moment
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Father!" Sheila called out. She was inside her room with the front door shut. Mag stood outside the room, out of his usual dress attire and in a tight black body suit. Intricate patterns were printed across the length of the clothing while a tooth necklace dangled from around his neck. He tapped his foot impatiently as he fumbled through the various pockets that were attached to his belts. 

"Yes sweetheart?" Mag shouted back. He tilted his head back and took in a deep sigh. "Is everything all right?"

"No, Father! Everything is not all right!"

"What is it now?"

"The vest!"

"What about it?"

The ivory door opened wide. Sheila looked at Mag, her hand holding onto the edge of the door as she pouted. She wore a matching skin-tight suit as her father along with a pith hat that had a pair of goggles strapped around it. On her shoulders she wore a pocketed vest that drooped down, leaving a large amount of space between her body and the fabric. "It's too big!"

"That's the only size that we have, darling."

"But it looks ridiculous on me!" Sheila looked down at the piece of clothing, tugging at it and letting the bottom hem swing back and forth.

"Looks like it fits your shoulders. I think it's just too long towards the bottom."

"What are we going to do, Father? The nearest shop is forty-five minutes one way." Sheila's pout turned into a frown. She let her shoulders slink as she slouched forward. 

"You'll just have to wear that for the time being. Not like it provides any protection. That's what the under-suit is for. The vest just gives you more pockets to hold supplies. It's not a big deal if it's a couple sizes too big for you."

"But I look absurd! Isn't this getting Broadcasted? I don't want people thinking—"

Mag placed a finger over his lips and made a loud hush. "Don't say that so loud! Especially since we have... unexpected guests sitting in the Entertainment room. And the people that watch the Hunt aren't the most law-abiding of individuals. I'm sure they won't care if your vest doesn't quite fit you."

"You couldn't have gotten me a new one?"

Mag leaned forward and put his hands on the shoulders of his daughter. He looked her in her disappointed eyes. The father maintained a somber tone as he began to speak. "That's the same vest that I wore when my father took me on my first Hunt. And that's the same one he wore when Grandfather took him on his. That vest has heritage. It's Grani tradition to wear it on your very first Hunt."

Sheila tugged on the collar of her vest again. She eyed with a look of unease as she stared at a dark stain on the fabric. "Some traditions just aren't meant to last, Father."

"Just wear the thing. For me, all right? Don't you think I at least deserve that much after all I've done to make sure this event goes by smoothly as possible?"

The daughter lowered her head, hiding away her disappointment. "Yes, Father."

"Thank you. Trust me, you look great in it regardless. But functionality is far more important than how you look. Your appearance wouldn't matter much if you're dead."

"I suppose."

"Don't worry. We'll get you a brand new one after this first Hunt."

"But—"

"No more ‘buts.’ You will be wearing the vest." Mag let his cross in front of his chest. He put one foot forward, leaning his weight on it as he looked his daughter in the eye. "End of discussion. Do you understand?"

Sheila silently nodded her head.

"Thank you. Now, I've heard from your mother that you and Bodahn got into a disagreement?"

"Oh, that?" Sheila said, lifting her gaze from off the ground. "It's nothing, Father. Just a small disagreement about the other two guests in the entertainment room."

"It won't be a problem, will it? I know how you two have been looking at each other when you think no one is looking."

"What?" Sheila's cheeks turned a bright crimson. She turned her head away rubbed the back of her neck. "You must be seeing things. Bodahn and I... we're just friends."

"Uh-huh. You don't think I was your age before? You give him those same big eyes that your mother gave me when we first met." Mag smiled softly as he placed one hand on Sheila's cheek, carefully turning her to face him. "I know you better than I think I do. Nothing wrong with having a crush on someone. But don't let your feelings get in the way."

"What do you mean?"

"Distraction can mean the end. Don't let your feelings get in the way of a life-or-death decision. Just because you're teaming up with the best doesn't mean you can afford to hold back and lose your focus. Bodahn is competent when he's with his father. But now that he'll be participating by himself, I'm not sure if he'll be able to keep up."

"But Bodahn is a great shot! I've seen him take out more than his fair share of the Essencima that spawn in the Eco-Dome!"

"There's no denying that. But he's still young. He's prone to making mistakes. I don't want you getting hurt sticking your neck out for him." Mag pointed at Sheila's heart. "Your primary goal should be to make sure that you make it out alive. Nobody else in there matters."

"You make this seem like it's going to be more dangerous than it really is." Sheila pouted. "I've watched you go on Hunts ever since I was just a little girl. I've never seen anyone get seriously hurt. Maybe an injury or too but nothing life threatening when you were in the Eco-Dome."

"I know, sweetheart. I'm just nervous is all. Not like it's impossible for you to get hurt. And the Essencima in there don't have kill switches like the Sand Carver did. If something happens to me, I don't trust anyone else that’ll be in there to be able to secure your safety."

"Nothing's going to happen to you. You've killed so many Neo-Sapia and Essencima it's almost like your second job at this point! Are you trying to scare me out of participating?"

"No, no. Not at all." Mag and Sheila's eyes met. The father began to tear up. He took his finger and wiped away some of the moisture that formed. "It's just... you're grown up now. I have been waiting for this moment for decades. And... just the thought of something happening to you on this very day terrifies me. No matter how much I try to shrug it off... there's always this lingering feeling that something could go wrong."

Sheila embraced her father in a hug, pulling him in tight. She pressed the side of her face against his chest. "You worry too much, Father. And you know what that means?"

"What?"

"It means that you're a good parent. You and Mother have both done so much for me. And I'm not just talking about this birthday event. I'm so grateful for everything you two have given me."

Mag sniffled as he patted his daughter across her back. "You sure know how to pull at my heartstrings, Sheila."

"I learned from the best," the young woman said with soft laugh. "Both you and Mother seem to have an ability to see the best in each other."

"We weren't always as close knit as we seem to be. We've had our fair share of bumps in the road during our relationship. But you managed to bring us together."

"Stop it, Father!" Sheila pulled back. She smiled but her eyes were moist and were turning red as well. "You're going to make cry as well! I don't want to go on the Broadcast sobbing."

"You're right. We need to focus on something else for now. Regain our composure."

"What about some last-minute training?" A giddy Sheila replied. She put her hands close to her chest and began to bounce up and down. "I got a new high score on the simulator! Perhaps we can give the program one more shot before trying out the real deal!"

"That sounds wonderful! The others are eating lunch, so we should have time to get a session or two practice in. Give us a bit of an edge over the competition."

"As if you need it, Father."

"Even though you're right, don't get too confident. Letting your guard down can lead to disastrous results. I've seen it happen on more than one occasion back when I was hunting with my father. That's part of the reason why I'm so good at what I do now. I never underestimate my prey. I know I've said things about Gurk before, but he’ll be a formidable foe. He may not be able to form compound sentences, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to let up my guard."

"Oh, I’ve heard some of the things you’ve said about him. And his friends.”

"But in the field, prepare for the worst. You'll never know what a trapped animal is capable of."

Sheila smiled and winked. "That's rule one, Father."

"Atta girl!" Mag gave his daughter a firm pat on the shoulder. "Looks like I've taught you well."

"Let's see if your teachings will help you out in topping that score I set in the simulator!"

"Ah! You know I'll take it back in no time!"

"Prove it!" Sheila headed down the hallway first with Mag keeping close behind her. 


Art Spotlight: Sheila Grani (Hunting Outfit)

1