Chapter 157: Towards Separate Sectors
45 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the path to the entrance of the estate clear, Enidri led the group through the myriad of metal scrap and metal glass. Once outside, Janus and Itzel blocked the blinding sun with their hands. 

"Ugh, didn't notice that room Evelyn had us locked up in was so dim." Itzel lowered her gaze and as she placed the entirety of her forearm over her head. 

"Better get used to it, Itsy," Enidri said as she cut through a section of chain fence that separated the main building of the estate from the grassy expanse that led towards the Eco-Dome. "The sun's going to be at its peak for a while."

"Thanks, Eni. I forgot how time worked for a moment."

Enidri ignored Itzel's remark. She lowered her body to a crouch, prompting the rest to do the same. All four kneeled below the tallest blades of grass, each staring straight ahead at the towering Eco-Dome. The heat bore down on the stationary party as they waited for Enidri's next move. The swordswoman activated her Implant and stared at a blue screen inches away from her face. 

"Bad news. Looks like we don't have a signal. No access to the Network, so no getting in touch with the Justice Department."

"Evelyn admitted to using Obscurium to line the walls," Janus said.

"That explains it then." Enidri turned off her projection. "And us being stuck in the middle of the desert isn't doing us any favors either."

"What's the next part of the plan then?" Donva asked as he rubbed away the thin film of sweat that coated his forehead. "Stay out here and fry?"

"You know Donva, you're starting to sound a lot Janus when I first met him," Enidri replied. 

"Is that a good thing?" 

Enidri looked at Donva than towards Janus in silence. She shook her head. "I'm not gonna answer that. We've got more important things to worry about right now. One of you." Her finger pointed to the others. "My vision isn't what it used to be. Do you see anything that can provide a bit of resistance?"

Itzel placed herself next to Enidri and scanned the horizon. "I'm not seeing any more BRUTEs."

"Then that goes with what Zuwya told us. She said that the Granis put all the security inside their estate. Mag's against having outside help when it comes to his hunts, so he doesn't station any BRUTEs near the Eco-Dome."

"Didn't sound like he was against outside help when he was begging his wife for Gurk's coordinates!" Itzel snapped.

The swordswoman shrugged her shoulders. "Yeah, well I don't know the guy. Maybe he's getting desperate. Anyone with this kind of money definitely has some kind of ego problem."

"All the more reason to knock him out like I did his wife!" Itzel scowled and punched the palm of her hand. With the path to the Eco-Dome clear, Itzel took lead. Her crouching walk soon turned into a full sprint that separated her from the rest of the group. 

"Itzel!" Enidri stood up straight, extending one hand as if to reach out and grab her. "Slow down! You might get us caught!" 

The swordswoman's words fell on deaf ears. In a matter of moments, Itzel was in front of the large metal door that separated the outside from the Eco-Dome. Having crossed safely, the rest of the group followed with a dash through the overgrown grass and weeds. 

"That was mighty... reckless of you, Itsy," Enidri said in a huff as she put her hand on the metal panel that served as the entrance. She yelped in pain as the hot surface scolded her fingers. 

"Yeah. I'm the reckless one." Itzel watched as the swordswoman blow on her fingers before shaking them out. "You said that scientist gave you the code to get into this thing?"

"Got it right here in my head. Now step aside." 

Itzel did as she was told and moved away from the panel. Enidri stood on the tips of her toes and pressed an assortment of buttons on the physical screen. A soft chime played followed by the metal doors to the Eco-Dome opening wide. A rush of cool escaped, sending everyone's hair flowing back. 

"Ah, now that's a relief." Donva closed his eyes, spread his arms apart and smiled as the cold air coursed around his body.

"Enjoy it while you can." Enidri ignored the wind and stepped inside the narrow chamber. In front of the pane of glass was a lush green jungle with the leaves of the trees pressing against the surface. "You know how these Eco-Domes operate. Only the entryway has air conditioning. The 'Eco' part of the dome is only going to be a few degrees cooler than the desert."

"Don't remind me." Donva entered last, just in time to avoid being locked out as the metal panels sealed the Eco-Dome tight. 

"We agreed to split up, right?" Itzel looked at the map plastered on the glass. "Think we should do the same as the hunters did and take on different section?"

"Sounds like a winning tactic to me." Enidri stood by Itzel's side and squinted at the printed map. "Did you have any place in particular that you wanted to spend your vacation?"

Itzel looked down at Enidri's exposed legs. "Might best if someone other than you goes into the swamp. Got a feeling that you don't want ever is lurking in there getting a bite of your bare legs."

"Huh." Enidri looked down. "Didn't think of that. Guess I'm heading to the Fallen Canopy then."

"I'll head on over to the Scorched Plains. I might be able to camouflage myself among the burnt debris." Donva stood over the two women and pointed towards his preferred section of the Eco-Dome on the map. 

"You better not just hide, Donva," Enidri groaned.

"I'm here, aren't I? I care about all of you. Gurk risked life and limb for me. I can at the very least do the same for him."

"Now that's what I wanna hear!" Enidri winked and gave him thumbs up. "All that leaves is you two and the swamp."

"Joy," Itzel chided. "But at least the good news is that we've got a better chance of meeting up with the Granis face to face in that part of the dome. With how much Sheila has been messing up, I can’t imagine them gaining much ground." She then turned around to face the physicist. "You coming along with me?"

"Makes sense seeing as how the Granis are travelling in a pair." 

"That went faster than expected. Now we can get to hunting the hunters." Enidri headed towards one of the transportation chambers at the end of the entryway. 

"Wait!" Donva called out. Enidri paused as soon as the door to her chamber opened.

"Yeah? What is it?"

"How do we know if one of us has found Gurk? If their home has Obscurium lining the walls, then I'd bet money that their Eco-Dome does too if they're broadcasting illegal activities from it."

A silence fell among the group as they each pondered a solution to the conundrum. Janus then looked at the radio he had fastened to his belt. "We might have to get a bit old-fashioned." He lifted the small black device for everyone to see.

"We're going to use that thing?" Itzel asked. 

"Yeah. Well, we're not all going to use this one. But if Mag and Evelyn have one, then maybe the other hunters do. We’ll just have to make sure to set it to the same channel." Janus took a glance at the smalls screen on the front of the device. “This one is set is to channel B. To be safe, we’ll go to channel D if we do manage to find other radios.”

"Something tells me that they're not just going to let us use them if we ask nicely," Enidri remarked.

"All the more reason to throw down!" Itzel alternated cracking the knuckles of her hands. "Find Gurk. Take out the hunters. Grab their radios. And escape. Should be easy enough."

"When you leave out all of the more intricate details, I agree," Donva said. "Let's say we can't take a hunter's radio. What do we do then?"

"We'll just meet up by the exit. Not like there's any other way out of the Eco-Dome," Enidri replied.

Donva tilted his neck from side to side before as he stretched one arm across his chest. "Fair enough. No more questions from me then. Seems like it's now or never." He began to walk to the opposite end of the entryway, and then pressed a few buttons on the chamber's monitor to activate it. Enidri vanished behind hers first. There was the sound of gears and metal grinding against one another as Enidri's pod travelled up a long chute that travelled along the top perimeter of the Eco-Dome's architecture. 

The other chamber rattled, drawing Janus and Itzel's eyes. In seconds, his pod soared through the intricate transport system built into the structure. "I guess that means it's our turn," Janus said and trudged forward. He pressed the glowing red button that said 'Open' on the front panel. The metal door slid to the side, revealing a small elevator-like room. A dim light shot up from beneath the floor as another glowing screen beckoned with the word 'Greetings."

"Doesn't seem like the most luxurious way to get around," Itzel said. She stepped inside first and pressed the entirety of her palm against the terminal. 

"Select your Sector," a robotic yet feminine voice beckoned. 

"Ugh. The swamp." With a soured face, Itzel pressed the small icon on the map.

"Sector selected. Setting course now."

The entire machine shook. A sudden vertical force shot the chamber upwards, making the passengers slip onto the floor. As the transport shook, a gentle jazz melody played through the speakers in the terminal. And just as quickly as the transport started, it stopped. Janus and Itzel's bodies crashed against the wall a thump before the chamber door opened again. 

A rotting smell filled the cramped area, making both contort their faces.

"Dammit!" Itzel shouted as she plugged her nose with her thumb and pointer finger. With her other hand, she waved away the wretched scent in futility. "I knew I never should have been nice to Enidri!"

0