Chapter 168: Gator Unleashed
33 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I’m already regretting being nice to Enidri." Itzel lifted her boot from a deep puddle of mud. Moist dirt dripped from the heel and fell back to the soft earth with a chunk splat. Janus looked down at the ground, focusing on putting his feet on the firmer parts of Earth. "She's used to the filth in the Refinery Sector. She could have gotten through this easy."

"She saved our lives, remember?” Janus said as he took careful steps. “Without her we'd still be strapped to those chairs and watching Gurk get blasted on a live broadcast."

Itzel grumbled as she took another step. "Yeah, yeah. I'm just trying to vent, Janus. Not like trekking through a foot of mud is what I thought of doing on our way to Sano Mosado."

"Come on," Janus waved at Itzel. "Looks like there's some solid ground up ahead. We should be able to move faster around the edge of the swamp."

"Don't have to tell me twice." Itzel picked up her pace, walking past Janus only to have her foot sink through another thick patch of mud. Her leg fell through, going all the way up to her knee. "Gah! Help me out here Janus!" She extended her arms out towards Janus.

"Watch your step," Janus remarked as he took hold of Itzel's arms. With a bit of heaving, he pulled Itzel out of the mud. “A lot of the footing here is looser than it appears.”

"You couldn't have said that sooner?" Itzel snapped as she shook her leg, scattering dirt across Janus' jacket. The physicist winced as mud slid down his shoulder.

"I figured a warning was unnecessary seeing as how we've spent the last hour or so walking through this swamp," Janus replied as he flicked the grime off his shoulder with his finger. 

"Ugh." Itzel stood upright and focused on the ground, taking careful and delicate steps across the ground. As they ventured closer towards firm footing, the sound of the environment intensified. Creatures in the distance made their usual sounds; chirps and groans permeated through the air. Every few steps Janus would take his eyes away from their destination to look around the verdant environment. Dense branches from towering trees lingered with arm's reach above them, casting distorted shadows across the ground as they danced from every stray breeze. 

"Do you recognize any of those... sounds?" Janus asked softly as he looked behind himself. There was a low howl followed by a deep gurgle.

"Not really. There's definitely Essencima around though. And other creatures too. If we're lucky, they'll be too busy killing each other to pay us any mind."

"If our lives weren't at stake, I wouldn't mind studying these organisms."

Itzel glanced over her shoulder and gave Janus an irked stare. "I'm sure they'll appreciate your fascination with them as they're peeling the flesh from your bones."

Another grumble came from behind, pushing Janus to pick up the pace. Within minutes, both reached the firm ground. A thin layer of moss covered the soil. After venturing a few feet into the foliage that encompassed the perimeter of the swamp, Janus noticed the trail of footsteps left in their wake.

"Mag and Sheila are going to have an easy time tracking us," Janus whispered. "We're leaving a trail for them to follow! We're practically asking to get shot!"

"Then we'll just have to defend ourselves, Janus. I know Mag is good with his gun, but you saw how his daughter handled herself. She's the weak link in that family." Itzel cracked her knuckles. "That means we'll just have to focus on her first."

"Right..." Janus replied with apathy. Hearing Janus' tone, Itzel turned around and gave him a stern glare while keeping her hand on her hip and pointing a finger inches away from his face. 

"I know she's young and a bit on the scrawny side, but don't forget that she's the main reason why we're in this mess in the first place!" Itzel snarled. "She's trying to kill Gurk, remember? You'll have to put your nice-guy demeanor to the side. This is life or death! If it ever comes to one of us or that spoiled brat, I know who I'm picking. And you better be thinking the same way."

Janus groaned as he lowered his head to hide his discomfort. "Right. I'm sure my fight and flight response will kick in if that situation arises."

"Good." Itzel turned around and continued the march. "Now, you focus on the rear. I'll keep my eyes forward. That way we can have most of our angles covered in case the Granis try to take us out with a sneak attack."

"Got it." Janus obeyed the command, always making sure to look over his shoulder in between his steps trailing Itzel. The woman in front of the procession stayed true to her word as well, making sure her focus jumped to everything that moved in the distance. More ominous sounds loomed, taking Janus' attention away from his assigned position. He stopped once he saw some rustling in the trees to his left.

"Everything all right, Janus?" Itzel stopped in her tracks and watched as Janus leaned towards a specific direction. "You notice something?"

"Yeah," he whispered. "It's that same sound I heard from the swamp. Just... louder..."

Itzel moved herself next to Janus and stared into the dense jungle with him. Both squinted. The longer they stared, the more intense the rustling became. It wasn't long before a large silhouette overcame the specs of sunlight that penetrated the thick leaves. The groan soon morphed into a disgruntled roar.

"Itzel!" Janus said. "Let's get going!" He patted her on the shoulder and pointed in the opposite direction of the oncoming threat.

"That sounds familiar," Itzel said with worry. Still looking over her shoulder, she began to run away from whatever lurked in the shadows. Janus followed right behind, panting as his eyes jumped between looking ahead and glancing behind to see what pursuing. 

The roar grew louder. The next moment the monster revealed itself with a lunge. Breaking through the branches and leaves of the jungle was a large gator-like Essencima. Its mouth opened wide, flashing an endless abyss of jagged teeth. Its sharp tongue shook as it let out a fearsome howl. Long purple veins coursed throughout out the black scaly exterior of the beast, pulsating as the claws on its feet dug into the wet earth beneath it.

"Jagmaw!" Itzel shouted while pointing at the Essencima.

"That's the same species that killed Enidri's dad, right?" Janus asked as he followed Itzel behind a tree.

"Yeah. But they don't grow to that size! At least not in Labrisson!" Itzel stuck her head out from the shelter of the tree and stole a peek at the creature. It waddled forward on all four legs. The weight of its body and tail left a trench in the mud as it darted across the jungle floor. "It's the size of Ringa and Brielle's Transport!" Itzel whispered. 

"You know of any weaknesses?" Janus asked. He looked over Itzel's shoulder. The Jagmaw titled its head up. Sunlight bounced of its beady yellow eye. It sniffed the air before slowly angling the rest of its body in the Exterminator's direction.

"Underbelly," Itzel mouthed while pointing at her stomach. "Rest of its skin is armored." Janus nodded. 

"Got it. Just need to find a way to get it on its back."

"Easier said than done. Especially one of that size."

"Is running an option?"

The Jagmaw stopped its crawl and sniffed the air again. It took a few more steps in Janus and Itzel's direction. 

"Doubt it. This thrives in this environment," Itzel replied. She pulled Janus to her side and cupped her hand over her mouth before starting to whisper. "Once we start running, it'll start chasing. Those claws are good for traction, so the mud won't slow it down like does us. It's got a good sense of smell, too. Our best bet might try and sneak away. Even though it's big and fast, Jagmaws are known for having trouble getting prey behind it."

Janus looked past the tree again. The Jagmaw paused to continue sniffing. It turned its head away and started wagging its tail around. "Think there's something else that caught its attention?"

Before Itzel replied, the Essencima opened its mouth. The creature's jaws stretched to almost Janus' height at full length. And in a flash, it jutted forward and snapped it shut. The Jagmaw made a deafening crash with its bite, startling Janus and Itzel enough to make them jump back. Both remained calm in spite of the display of power and watched as the creature rolled over, its entire body writhing as it tussled with something in its mouth.

"Goodness..." Janus said under his breath. The Jagmaw dragged a Primore out from a tree. The other creature's limbs stuck out from between the Jagmaw's teeth along with sticks and branches. Its arms and legs that protruded from the Jagmaw's mouth flung haplessly as it chewed on the deceased remains. With a few snaps of its mouth, the entirety of the Primore vanished into its devourer's gullet.

"Essencima...eat each other?" Janus asked. 

"Yeah. Not often. But I've seen them go after each other. Not like they got any sense of morality."

"Makes sense. Don't know why I expected comradery among monsters."

 Itzel put a hand on Janus' shoulder and nudged him in a perpendicular direction from the Jagmaw's position. "We need to make a move now. While it's digesting. Follow me. And try not to make too much noise."

0