Chapter 186: Reunion and Farewell
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Reunion!” Gurk said with a wide smile. He spread his arms wide enough for Zuwya and Eva to fit in.

“Sure, Gurk,” the scientist said as she accepted the offer. The duckling did the same, chirping as she pressed her wings against the crocodile’s legs. 

“Isn’t that sweet,” Enidri said genuinely. She activated her projection and activated the camera feature. “Let’s capture this moment.”

“Err, maybe you should let me do it this time, Eni,” Itzel said as she stepped in front of swordswoman. She brought up her own projection and put the other three in the frame. “I’ll be sure to send you the pictures once I’m done.”

“Fine,” Enidri said as she crossed her arms. “Guess I’ll get my practice in taking pictures of flowers or something.”

“Gotta start somewhere,” Itzel replied as she snapped another photo. “But not with something as important as this.”

“Well, if you don’t need me taking photos, I think I’ll just get Donva and head out.” Enidri said as she called her brother. “We’re good to go, right? Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m already missing Labrisson.”

“Don’t you want to stay and give the other enforcers your side of the story?” Janus asked.

“Why do you think I want to leave now? Not like they need my side of the events to figure out that Mag has been hosting illegal hunts for years.”

“I think it’s because she doesn’t want to fill out one of those ‘self-defense justification’ forms after what happened between her and Larson,” Itzel said.

Enidri nodded her head. “Damn. Forgot all about that part, too. All the more reason to get out of her now rather than later.” Within a few seconds, Donva’s face appeared on the screen. “Hey Donva. You ready to head out?”

“I am, I am,” he replied. “Where are you at?”

“By the front entrance. I can see my personal carrier from here. Where are you?”

“Other side.”

“All right. I’ll meet you there.” Enidri squinted at the screen. “Wasn’t there someone else there with you? I thought one of the hunters helped you to get out of there.”

“Oh, you mean Bodahn?” Donva turned his head and scanned the vast expanse of desert behind him. “He was just here a moment ago. Not sure where he went, but he seemed really eager to leave.”

“Probably because we’ve got an enforcer on the premise,” Itzel said as she fit herself into Enidri’s call. “Probably booked it as soon as he could.”

“Should we try to find him?” the former researcher asked. “Seems like he could be a lot of help in preventing future hunting events like these from taking place.”

“Nah. I wouldn’t worry about it,” Enidri said with a wag of her head. “Besides, you know how enforcers are. They’ve got so much work on their plates, they can’t mange every single case thrown their way. I say we let Bodahn get away for now.”

“If you say so, sis.” Donva shrugged his shoulders before ending the call. Enidri then pressed a few buttons on her projection and her personal craft came soaring towards her.

“Wait! Enidri!” Itzel exclaimed as she stood between the swordswoman and her vehicle. “Before you go... I just wanted to say thanks. Again,” she said as her eyes tilted towards the sand and her hand rubbed the back of her neck. 

“Let’s just say we’re even now,” Enidri replied with a smirk. “You helped me get Donva back. I helped you get Gurk back. And rescued Janus. And you.” She then looked at the duckling that waddled closer to her. “Oh, and how could I forget little Eva here too?” The swordswoman reached down and patted the duckling on the back. 

“If you ever need anything from us, just let us know,” Itzel said with a smile.

Enidri cocked her head back. She closed her eye and tilted her head away. “Yeah. I’ll... keep that in mind. But don’t expect a call. Unless it’s an emergency.”

Janus walked around to the side with her closed eye and pointed at her cheek. “Looks like you got something wet on your face,” he said with a smirk.

“What?” Enidri fumbled around her thumb on her face and wiped away the lone tear that escaped. “Oh. It’s the desert heat... making me sweat. And that crash probably got a bit of sand in my eye.”

“Nah,” Gurk said as he towered over Enidri. “You cried.”

“Did not!” the swordswoman protested.

“Sure.” Gurk then stretched his arms and hugged Enidri tight. “See ya?” he asked while pressing her against his chest. 

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll see you again. Maybe in person at Sano Mosado. But at the very least, on the official broadcast.”

“Cool.” Gurk ended the hug. Enidri straightened her outfit and hopped on her carrier.

“Now all of that is out of the way, am I free to go?” she asked the group.

“Of course,” Itzel said. She stepped to the side and graciously bowed. “Just don’t forget to tell Donva the same thing. That we appreciate what he did and that he’s free to call us at anytime.”

“Right. I’ll be sure to let him know.” Enidri pulled on her carrier’s handle, revving the engine and sending sand flying away from the exhaust pipes on the back. “I’ll see you all later.” After one final rev of her engine, Enidri flew forward on the carrier, disappearing once she went around to the other side of the estate. 

“I think that might be my cue to leave, too,” Zuwya said. All eyes turned towards her.

“What? Already?” Itzel moaned. “But... we just met you!” 

“And as much I hate to leave Gurk behind, I think it’s best if I left too. Now that Mag’s secret is out, more eyes have been brought onto my experiments. No doubt that there are countless others that want to use me and my research for even more nefarious purposes. And I can’t put you good people in harm’s way.”

“But mom!” Gurk said longingly. He interlocked his fingers together and shook them in front of the scientist. “Please stay!”

“I’m so sorry, Gurk. It hurts me more than anything to say goodbye again. But you saw how much danger my existence put you in. Just imagine how much more dangerous things will be if we were to stay together.” The scientist held onto Gurk’s snout and pulled him closer. 

Once his head was level with hers, she carefully pulled the mask off and stared into his bright yellow eyes. “I’m just thankful that I got to see at least one more time,” she whispered. 

“Same here,” Gurk replied, blinking a few times and letting a few tears slip down his scaly face. Zuwya took her hand and rubbed a finger along the gaping scar on his face and sighed. 

“I love you, Gurk.” She then looked down at Eva. Zuwya knelt to her height and gave the duckling a soft smile. “And you too, Eva. I apologize to both of you for not being able to stay around longer.”

“You don’t have to leave, Zuwya,” Itzel said. “We’ve got friends in Labrisson! A couple of enforcers that owe us! We’ll make sure they turn a blind eye to you staying with us. And it’s not like the Justice Department would be concerned with some scientist hanging out in some random Exterminator’s home!”

“I appreciate your offer, young lady. But it’s not the Justice Department and its enforcers that I’m worried about. There are other organizations that would do anything to get a glimpse of what I’ve worked on. And that’s why I can’t stay with those that I love.”

She handed Gurk his mask back. He held it in his hand, staring at his reflection before making eye contact with Zuwya once more. “Bye, mom,” he said with a wave. 

“Make sure you take good care of Eva.” Zuwya lifted the duckling up and placed her on his shoulders. “She could use a big brother to guide her through life.”

“Gurk’s a great candidate for that,” Janus said. “Don’t think I’ve met someone with a kinder heart.”

“I know. I can already tell these two will accomplish great things together,” she said with a smile. More tears dripped down her cheeks as the family stood together one final time. 

“I... I shouldn’t be here much longer. I know that more enforcers are on their way and they’re going to go through this entire facility, searching for any evidence and intel that they can. It’s best that I cover my tracks to make sure my data doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.”

“Does that mean you’re done making Neo-Sapians?” Janus asked.

“Yes. No more toying with life. Those days are behind me,” Zuwya said with a huff. “But... don’t worry. Just because you’re not going to see me doesn’t mean that you won’t hear from me. Maybe you’ll get a message or two from an anonymous sender. Keep your inboxes open and check your ‘unsolicited’ folders every now and then.”

Itzel and Janus nodded. “We’ll be sure to keep that in mind.”

“Then it’s best for me to head back now.” Zuwya headed towards the long corridor from the escape route. She glanced over her shoulder and gave the group one last wave. Everyone waved back, all saying goodbye as the scientist disappeared into the dark tunnel.

0