Vigilante System: Chapter 4 – Tough Memory
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Enidri let the phone ring, playing the generic tone that came pre-installed with every Implant. She stared at the bold letters stuck on the screen, anxiously staring at the little blip indicating that her call was attempting to connect to the other end.

After a few minutes of waiting, the text finally changed.

Call with Donva failed.

“Whatever.”

Enidri leaned back on her bed and went back to looking up at the ceiling. She sighed again as memories ran through her mind. She thought of the last time she saw her brother; they were arguing over the ethics of Enidri’s occupation.

Even though it happened years ago, she could recount the event with crystal clear vision. They faced each other at the edge of the Refinery Sector; the place where most Tersaia’s energy is harvested, but better known as the planet’s biggest breeding ground for the bloodthirsty monsters known as Essencima. It was just as dirty as ever; a thick cloud of smog lingered over the ground, coating the pipes that coursed along the sides of the factories with an eternal layer of grease and grime.

“I’m telling you, Enidri. There’s something more to these things,” Donva pleaded. She stood with her back towards him with her trusty Ion Blade still activated. The long electric beam dragged against the ground as she got closer to the black, shadowy beast she had just slain in a back alley.

A Spittler lay split in two on the ground in front of her. Usually, they looked like feral dogs with flowers for heads, know for spitting out chunks of acids at unfortunate bystanders. But this one looked a smidge different from the typical Refinery Sector variety Spittler.

Namely, because its head was detached from the rest of its body while a stream of purple goop seeped from the point of severance. A cloud of indigo smoke emerged from its motionless body, meaning the decaying process had already taken effect.

The exterminator turned on her screen to look at her funds, making sure that her Tokens for the kill went through. “You came all the way from your uptight school just to give me a scolding on why I should switch professions?” she asked her brother without taking her eyes off her banking information.

“If you want to simplify it like that, then yes,” Donva replied. He wore the same old leather jacket over his bare chest and a pair of long black pants. He wiped away some sweat from his forehead and straightened out the long black hair that blocked his face. “You know I care about you, sis.”

“You say that now,” Enidri replied as she turned around to face her brother. “But it seems like ever since you’ve gone to live with your family in Scholburn, you’ve forgotten all about me,” she said calmly.

“I’ve been busy with school, Enidri,” Donva said curtly. “You act like its something that I can just pause whenever I want to.”

“Not this spiel again.” Enidri turned off her glowing yellow blade and holstered the hilt on her belt’s clip. “I know how university works, Donva. But you act like I don’t know about how wealthy your side of the family is! I’ve seen some of the pictures and videos you’ve posted to your social feed!” She held an imaginary glass in her hand and tilted her head back. “You got time to head to every bar and club in Scholburn but there’s no room to give your sister a call?”

Donva turned his head to the side, trying to hide his frustration. Enidri noticed his scowl but continued towards the end of the Refinery Sector as if she didn’t notice. “I get why you’re upset. I promise I’ll try to be better at communicating. But there’s validity to what I’m saying!”

“Oh? About Essencima being more than just mindless monsters?”

“Yes!” Donva stepped forward and put a hand on Enidri’s shoulder to stop her from advancing any further. “I’m only in the preliminary stages of my research, but I think there’s more to them. Like… they’re here for a reason.”

“Causing destruction,” Enidri snapped back. She jerked her shoulder forward, freeing herself from her brother’s gentle clutch. “There. Mystery solved. Saved you four years of tuition.”

“Gah!” Donva threw his hands up in frustration. “I knew you wouldn’t listen. Don’t know why I even bothered to come all the way back here!”

“To gloat,” Enidri muttered just loud enough for her half-brother to hear.

“What?” Donva asked with his head tilted. “You really think I’d do that to you?”

“You haven’t talked to me since dad was killed. Seems odd that now of all times you decide you want to meet up with your sister you’ve neglected for the past few years.”

Donva wadded his fists but turned his head away from Enidri. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out as he suppressed his first thought. “Don’t bring dad into this, all right? This has nothing to do with him! I… just want the best for you. And killing these creatures will only put you in an early grave.”

“And you somehow know that better than me?” Enidri raised her voice as she stepped towards her half-brother. She gestured towards herself with her thumb while Donva narrowed his eyes at the sudden tonal shift. “I’ve been killing these things for a living ever since they killed dad, and that’s what I plan on doing until either they’re all dead… or I am!”

“And it’s that exact mentality that brought me here!” Donva pointed at Enidri’s chest. “You’re going to get yourself killed doing such a dangerous job! Couple that with the fact there’s so much more to the creatures that we just don’t know about. Please, Enidri. Just… take my offer to come with me to Scholburn.”

“Nah,” Enidri said with a shake of her head. “I’ve been getting along just fine by exterminating. And I’m gonna keep doing it. Not going to let some Labrissoner-turned-yuppie come over here and change my lifestyle because he’s got a couple years of higher education under his belt.”

The exterminator walked past Donva and walked closer towards the edge of the Refinery Sector. Instead of stopping her from going any further, Donva let her walk.

“I knew this was a bad idea. You were always hard-headed.”

“Yeah, yeah. I’ve heard it all before, Donny,” Enidri said with her back towards Donva. She flicked her wrist, dismissing him with a single wave. “If you’re so smart, go ahead back to Scholburn. I’m sure your brain will find a lot more use there than in this part of Tersaia.”

Enidri darted up from her bed. She covered up the scarred side of her face with her hand and grunted. Her mind raced to focus on something else. First those two bickering children in the carrier.

And then her mind focused on Hidiko. Specifically, the photo of him and his sister.

“I can’t believe I’m going to do this,” she said with a sigh. With her projection in front of her face, she called up the bar from earlier in the evening.

Now Calling: Buster’s Drinks

Immediately, a familiar robotic voice picked up the other end. AL’s glowing blue eyes peered back at her through the projection.

“Enidri Saelex,” AL said. “How can I help you tonight?”

“Yeah,” Enidri said slowly, exhaustion present in her voice. “You remember the guy that sat next to me tonight?”

“Of course.”

“Well, I need his contact info.”

“I apologize, Enidri. But that is classified information. I cannot hand over something like that without approval from the other party first.”

“Come on, AL. He would have done anything to get my help. You heard our conversation, right?”

“All recorded. It will remain in our records for the next forty-six hours.”

“Then you know that he’s in a tough situation. Someone’s life is at stake here.”

“I have the conversation recorded, but I haven’t processed what was said.”

Enidri rubbed her forehead in frustration. “Can you just give me the guy’s contact details? It’s an emergency.”

“As I said before, the information is classified. And we only keep those recordings in case of a request from Justice Enforcers.”

“Oh?” Enidri raised an eyebrow. “So you’ll reveal his info if the authorities are involved?”

“Yes.”

“Like if someone were to reveal all those funds your owner gets that go under the table?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” The robot’s soulless tone remained unchanged.

“Uh-huh. Sure.” Enidri smirked. “But I’m sure Tax Collectors understand exactly what I’m talking about.”

AL remained silent and stared back at Enidri with its vivid blue lines.

“Yeah. That’s what I thought. Just get in touch with your operator. I’m sure he’d be willing to override your protocols.”

“As you wish. One moment, please.” AL stood still while Enidri stared at the screen. Within a few minutes of waiting, AL spoke again.

“I’ve sent the information you’ve requested.”

“Thanks, AL!” Enidri said with a big smile. “Now, was that so hard?”

“Is there anything else you need from me?”

“No, that’s all for tonight. And tell your owner I said thanks. I’ve even sent a few extra Tokens his way.”

The robot bowed its head. “Pleasure having your business, Enidri.”

“Yeah, yeah. Maybe next time we can cut out the middleman.” With another wave of her hand, the call ended. A red exclamation mark covered her notification tab. She tapped the icon and nodded her head. “All right. Let’s see if this guy is still willing to talk to me.”


Art Spotlight: Donva Saelex

0