Chapter 82: True Intentions
68 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arva entered the building first and held it open to let the other three enter. Maluk stayed behind just long enough to block the crowd of onlookers from entering. Once the guests were inside, he slammed the door shut and locked it tight with a digital panel. The swarm of people could still be seen through the windows, all looking at Gurk with awe.

"Again, I apologize," Arva said as she adjusted her sock cap. "They usually aren't this rowdy. Must be because there's been a lot of hype for this upcoming Broadcast."

"Almost like they're here to see something... or someone... that they're not used to seeing," Itzel said softly, but not quiet enough for Arva and Maluk to not hear her.

"Yes, that is true. We've had a bit of a lull since the Exterminators went missing. The viewers have been craving for an exciting Broadcast for a few months now," Arva replied

"Should be a good fight!" Maluk got behind Gurk and smacked him on the shoulder. "Have you been practicing for the upcoming match, my scaly friend?" The big man smiled, letting a deep laugh as he continued to pat the crocodile on the back.

"Kinda," Gurk replied.

"Just 'kinda,' eh? What have you been doing all this time since we gave you this offer?"

"BRUTE."

"You've been sparring against one of those BRUTE robots?" Maluk replied with awe. "You must be serious about this Challenge then!"

"He went up against the BRUTE once. And lost," Itzel butted in. "Hopefully he learned something from it. Cost a decent chunk of Tokens."

"I did," Gurk said.

"Even Siergi doesn't use BRUTE!" Maluk stated.

"Probably because he doesn't like losing," Itzel murmured with crossed arms and an averted gaze. Maluk glanced at her with narrowed eyes but continued his conversation with Gurk as if she had said nothing.

"Siergi doesn't use BRUTE, so maybe you can use some of those tactics that you picked up to your advantage."

"Where's he?" Gurk asked, his eyes scanning the room. The inside of the area was clean and sleek; a few glass tables and black angular furniture filled up the space. There were holographic projections that dangled from the wooden panel walls that served as decorations. They rotated between an assortment of images of Siergi taking on his various opponents from past challenges.

"Bathroom most likely," Arva said with her hands on her hips. She poked her head towards the long hallway, looking to see if Siergi was on his way back. "He was just here a few minutes ago. Hopefully he'll be back any second to greet his guests."

"He can take his time," Itzel remarked, staring at the glowing projection of Siergi engulfed in lighting that floating in front of a nearby wall. "We've got plenty of Siergi right here."

"Tell me Gurk, do you Broadcast often?" Maluk asked. The crocodile turned around and softly shook his head from left to right.

"Nah. Broke."

Maluk made a bellied laugh. "Oh, what a shame! I'm sure after this fight that will all change."

"Please," Itzel said without turning around, "Elaborate. I'd love to hear how going on Siergi's Broadcast will all of a sudden fix all of our money problems. You know it costs a decent chunk of Tokens to do even one Broadcast, right?"

The bulky man gritted his teeth. He turned to his partner, receiving a look that implied that she wanted him to hold his temper. "I have a feeling in my gut that Gurk will be huge with the crowd, win or lose!" he said with forced enthusiasm. "Perhaps he could even find himself a few devoted fans! They might be happy to send him enough Contributions for him to host more Broadcasts."

"Who wouldn't want to see such a loveable guy duke it out every night?" Arva said with a smile as she nudged Gurk in the arm with her elbow.

"Yeah. That's wishful thinking."

"You never know if you don't try!" Maluk said in a raised tone. "Perhaps if you weren't negative all the time, you might be open to new things and new people!"

Itzel turned around, giving Maluk a cocked eye. She stepped forward, looking up at the taller man with annoyance. Arva stepped between the two, pushing Maluk back to prevent a heated confrontation.

"I don't need someone who isn't even from Labrisson tell me how to live in this city!" Itzel barked as her pointer finger aimed directly at Maluk's face.

“You know nothing about me!” He barked. Maluk’s mouth opened again but no words came out as he watched Arva give him a worried look from the corner of his vision. He scoffed before backing off.

"Let me handle this, Maluk," Arva said.

"Fine." Maluk tossed his hands up in the air and walked towards Gurk. Arva faced Itzel. She had her arms behind her back as she let out a long sigh. She took her hand brushed away some stray bangs from the front of her face.

"Itzel," Arva said softly, "I'm sorry about Maluk. He's a bit hard-headed. Doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. Love him to death but he's the type of person to see things his way and has a hard time wrapping his head around other's points of view."

"I can tell," Itzel replied, keeping her arms crossed across the front of her body. Her eyes cut towards Maluk. He looked over his shoulder, pausing his conversation with Gurk and Janus to look back at her. He shook his head and the resumed his dialogue with the other two. "Maluk doesn't seem like the kind of person that makes for very intriguing conversations."

"He's nice once you get to know him. But it might take a while."

"Too bad I'll only see him today."

"Hey Itzel," Arva said shyly. She adjusted the hem of her cap, trying to avoid eye contact with Itzel. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah? What is it?" Itzel said coldly.

Arva took in a deep breath and mustered the ability to make eye contact. "Why don't you like us, Itzel?"

Itzel's head poked back. "Don't like you?"

"Come on, Itzel. It's more than obvious," Arva replied with the loudest possible whisper. "The way you talk to me and Maluk. Your tone. I’ve got a feeling for your reasoning. But I just want to know why."

"You want the truth?"

Arva nodded her head. "Of course."

"We already touched on this at the restaurant a few days back. I don't like how you and your friends come to this city and make fools of Labrissoners on the regular! Have them lined up and clamoring to appear on Siergi's Broadcast, only for him to take on lower ranking fighters and humiliate them in front of countless people!"

"But they want to show up, Itzel! They'll pay good money to do it. It might even give them a head start with a career as a Rumble Circuit Broadcaster."

Itzel's eyes narrowed in on Arva. "But what if it doesn't? Sure, here and there a few Labrissoners might have gotten a shot at stardom after fighting against Siergi, but that number is a lot smaller than you might think." She then looked at Gurk. He and Janus both looked invested in what Maluk was telling them, completely ignorant to the conversation she was having. "What if Gurk doesn't make it big? What if this makes things worse for him?"

"Worse?" Arva asked. Her eyes quickly looked behind her, giving Gurk a discreet glance. "How are things bad for him?"

"You must not head that deep into Labrisson, huh?"

"Just into the Market Sector for an occasional lunch."

"So you don't know how the city really is then. If you think it's just people having fun with Ranked Challenges all the time, then you really are out of touch," Itzel replied. Her tone had turned somber.

"Hear me out, Itzel. I don't want to come across as ignorant. Or as unsympathetic towards the people of this city. We just want to provide as many entertaining Broadcasts we cam for as many people as possible."

"What's Gurk going to get out of it?" Itzel said bluntly. "Other than exposure? And that pittance of a compensation you had him agree to? And don't say 'meeting Siergi' is some kind of comparable payment." She stepped closer to Arva, resting her hands on her hips as she leaned forward. She was neither angry nor upset; on Itzel's face was a purely serious look. "What are you going to do for Gurk after the Broadcast, huh? Forget that he exists now that you've got all those desperate fighters back? Maybe you'll have him show up again whenever Siergi's viewership dips again."

"It's not like that Itzel!" Arva protested. She frowned, her emotion showing through the tremble in her voice. "We love Gurk! We really do!"

"But not like me. Or even Janus. I've been there for him for as long as he can remember. And I'll stay there with him. But once this Broadcast is over, it's back to living in the dredges of Labrisson while the rest of you live it up in whatever city you three live until it's time for another Broadcast." Itzel turned her back to Arva. The holographic banner above her shifted images once more, this time to Siergi and his teammates with him posing front and center. "I've got a feeling you're full of it, Arva. You're just telling me what you want to hear. Deep down, once Gurk is off that Broadcast and the Contributions have been tallied up, you won't care what happens to Janus, me and Gurk. At least not until you want him to show up again. If that even happens."

"No matter what I say Itzel, you won't believe me, will you?" Arva said. She walked beside Itzel and turned towards her. The Labrissoner remained focused on the banner, ignoring the stare Arva was giving her. "You've got us all wrong. And you know what? I'll prove it to you!"

"How?" Itzel's eyes shifted to the side just enough to see how determined Arva was.

"You'll see. Just give me a minute to talk to—" Arva’s attention shifted from Itzel to the long corridor that lead out of the room.

"Ah! Finally!" Maluk shouted. He smiled as he walked towards the corridor that went into the center of the building. He spread his arms wide like he was getting ready to embrace someone in a fierce hug. "Siergi! Our guests have been waiting for you."

3