Chapter 104: New Opportunities
79 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Itzel opened the door to the apartment. As she entered, she could see Galo sitting on the sofa, staring at the projection floating in front of the wall. His attention was diverted from the programming as Itzel stepped inside.

"Oh! How did the fight go?" Galo asked, turning his head just enough to see the others make their way through the door. 

"You didn't watch it, dad?" Itzel said. She took off her jacket and tossed it on the table. Janus and Gurk walked in behind her and began to remove their jackets as well. "I even left you the Network Address that would have taken you straight to the Broadcast."

"I know, I know. But I got caught up in this show!"

Itzel tilted her head at the projection. "Deep Galaxy Drifters? You really are older than you look, Dad."

"It's a classic!" Galo protested. 

"Yeah, such a classic that you and Mom have seen every episode. At least twice."

"Can't ya just tell me how the Challenge went?" Galo then looked towards Gurk. "Did you manage to beat that big shot?"

"Yeah," Gurk said. He hobbled towards the spot on the floor adjacent to Galo and sat himself down. he became fixated on the on the spaceships that traversed across and black void on the projection's screen. 

"Really?" Galo darted up from his seat. "Of course, I'm glad you won the fight and all that. But uh... did you manage to take home any earnings?"

"Yeah." The crocodile continued to stare at the show. 

"How much?"

"A lot."

"They turned the Challenge into a Team Battle, dad," Itzel said. "Me, Gurk and Janus all fought on live on the Broadcast. We each won a fight in front of hundreds of thousands of people."

"Is that so?" Galo said as his head slowly bobbed up and down. "That's quite the audience you had watching you."

"Tell me about it," Janus said. He lowered himself and took a seat next to Gurk on the floor, crisscross style. "I had shivers going up all throughout my body from start to end. Even when I wasn’t in the ring I was trembling."

"With all of those viewers, surely you three must have gotten a pretty Token or two as compensation?"

"Yeah, we did dad." Itzel went to her banking screen and showed it to Galo. 

He let out a loud whistle as he stared at big green number on Itzel's banking information panel. "You all earned that much in just a day?"

"Each. We each earned that today."

"Woo! And here I thought this Rumble Circuit thing was just a way for young folks to let out some steam. Didn't think people could actually make a career out of it!"

"The team we fought against Broadcasts a few times every week and they're loaded," Itzel said as she deactivated her projection. "This might be the start of a change in careers!"

"I'd love to see that! Rather you be a Broadcaster in Labrisson than an Exterminator!"

"We won't even have to live in Labrisson anymore!" Itzel began bouncing up and down with excitement. "We could move to a real city!"

"Now don't you get my hopes up!" Galo said with a chuckle. "I'd love to leave this place behind and live somewhere like Ezaku. Ooh, or a nice home on the beach down by Jelios!"

"The sky's the limit dad!" She opened her arms and gave her father a hug. They both patted each other on their backs and smiled. "We just need to go full speed on this! No more excuses. It might take a while, but I know the three of us has what it takes."

Itzel and Galo ended their hug. Itzel sat down next to her father. "I'd offer some advice, but you know that I'm not familiar with Rumble Circuit. But I'm more than willing to help you out in any way possible."

"I know. Means a lot, dad."

Startled, Gurk broke his attention away from the show and to his notification screen. "Hey Itzel!" he said, waving at her to come closer. 

"What is it, big guy?" She leaned forward in her seat and started reading the message on his screen. "Is it another 'missed message' from Enidri?"

"No. Offer!"

"An offer?" Itzel's eyes slowly traveled down the screen. She began reading the words aloud.

"That was quite the fight you and your friends put on Siergi's Broadcast, Mister Gurk. Never before have I seen someone of your build with that much charisma. Your teammates are also quite formidable. I think the Labrisson Slayers have what it takes to go the distance in Rumble Circuit's Ranked Team Division. With a little bit of assistance, of course. That's why I invite you to come over to Sano Mosado to participate in a Ranked Exhibition. We will be holding the event there with a number of other teams under my organization's banner. A team recently dropped out, leaving a vacant spot for a sponsorship.

If you do accept, we will be more than willing to cover travel and other expenses. The Ranked Exhibition is two weeks away, so apologies if this offer came up on short notice. However, there are plenty of other teams vying for slots in the Exhibition, so if you don't think you'll be able to make it, please respond as soon as possible so we can send the offer out to another team. 

But if you are interested, we have rented a room in Sano Mosado's Entertainment Hall for the exhibition. We will be able to provide more information then. Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the Labrisson Slayers soon!

Best Regards,
Chantella DuMoix

Itzel froze, her eyes lingering on the name that the message was sent from. "Is that... really from... DuMoix?" she said with pauses scattered throughout her statement.

"Yeah," Gurk said. 

"Who is DuMoix?" Janus asked.

"I'm with the new fella," Galo added. "Never heard of that name before."

"Chantella DuMoix is only one of the most prolific Rumble Circuit agents in the world! She's represented some of the most famous fighters in history!"

"And she's got interest in you folks?" Galo said.

"That's what the message said!" Itzel replied. She placed a hand on her chest and started taking in deep breaths. "This... this just might be it, Dad! This could be the opportunity that changes everything for us!"

Galo smiled as he watched Itzel pace around the room, bouncing up and down with each step. "I'm so happy for you! All of you!"

Janus walked towards Gurk screen and read the message for himself. "Sano Mosado?" he said with an inquisitive tone. 

"That's a good distance from here," Galo said. "And you two have never been out of Labrisson before."

"But it's better than being in this city, that's for sure," Itzel replied as she continued her walk around the room. "It'll be a nice change of pace to see something other than the Refinery Sector for once!"

"Did that message say anything about someone else tagging along? Like... oh say... a guest?" Galo leaned his head in the direction of Gurk's projection. He squinted to try and make out what the words said.

"Nah," Gurk replied.

"Oh, I see."

"I'm sure Chantella will pay for it! Do you know how much money has? That woman has made worked for the biggest names in the sport! Paying for your ticket and housing would be nothing to her. Gurk probably just has to ask."

Galo shook his head. "No, no. Don't worry about it. I don't want to risk you three getting out of this lady's good graces by asking her to pay for another person's expenses. I know she could, but don't you think that would look bad for a team that's just starting out? You haven't even officially signed and you're already making demands like it's the big leagues."

"But Dad!" Itzel protested. "I don't think it could hurt to at least ask."

Galo shook his head. "Nope. Don't risk it. I'm not gonna ruin my family's one shot at hitting it big time. I'm not even all that fond of Rumble Circuit in the first place. Just... focus on winning your fights. We can always talk over the Network. Besides, it's Sano Mosado. Not like there's anything out there besides desert and... well... more desert."

"We'll call," Gurk said. 

"Yeah, dad. Everyday!” Itzel added. “We won't use our concentrate for anything else."

"That's more than enough for me," Galo replied as he chuckled. "And I promise I'll actually watch your matches this time."

"Who know? Maybe you'll actually enjoy it!"

"I know I will if you three will be participating."

Itzel turned on her screen and started scrolling through a long list. "Looks like our options to getting to Sano Mosado are looking pretty slim."

"What do you mean by that?" Janus asked.

She continued to swipe upwards, looking more worried the further she went through the list. "Looks like all of the tickets we can get are after the proposed deadline. Oh wait, here's one!" Itzel said.

"When does it leave?" 

Itzel turned to Galo, her face looking dire. "Tomorrow."

3