Chapter 106: Claiming a Favor
76 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Packed up already?" Janus asked as he watched Itzel return from around the corner of the hallway. She had a cloth bag slung over her shoulder that carried by a drawstring. "That was pretty quick."

"Just realized that I don't have too much that I need to bring along. Just a couple changes of clothes and some small knickknacks. I'm sure the place we'll stay at will have stuff like towels for us to use. DuMoix is known for her class. She always treats her clients well." She dropped her bag onto an empty spot on the sofa. She looked down at the ground and saw Gurk still sleeping.

"Come on, big guy!" Itzel clapped her hands. The crocodile stirred, slowly opening his eyes before groggily getting back to his feet. "We've got to get ready. You can take your shower first. I know how you like to take your time, so you need to get started now.

"Fine." Gurk moved towards the bathroom and started to unbuckle the front of his shorts.

"Don't start now!" Itzel moaned. "At least wait until you're in the bathroom to get undressed!"

Gurk grumbled. He then opened the bathroom door and shut it behind him. The muffled sound of running water went throughout the room. Itzel focused on her projection and was typing a message.

"Everything all set?" Galo asked.

"Almost. Just getting in touch with Ringa and Brielle. I'm going to make sure that they'll be down with the plan I suggested earlier."

"Oh."

A buzzing sound came from her screen. The "Incoming Call" message lit up. Itzel accepted the call. "Hey Itzel," Ringa said. She was dressed in her standard uniform. Behind her was a big and bulky man squirming in the back of the carrier. "Everything alright?" the detective asked.

"Yeah, yeah. Everything's fine. But I had a favor to ask for you."

"Name it."

"Me, Gurk and Janus got an invite to go to Sano Mosado to participate in a Team Battle exhibition."

"Congrats."

"Thanks. But I was wondering if you could help bring food and other stuff to our place."

"For you dad?"

"Yeah. We'll pay for everything."

"I don't have a problem with it. How about you, Bri?" Ringa turned to the side and looked at her partner. "Bri?" The Enforcer was leaning through the slim space between the two front seats. The captive in the back began to flail around and grunting loudly. Then there was an electric zapping sound followed by a sharp wail from the captive in the back.

"What did you say Ringa?" Brielle said as she sat back in her seat. She pressed a button on the electric prod in her hand and deactivated it.

"Did you hear what Itzel was asking about?"

"No. I was busy doing my job."

"Itzel wants to know if we can drop stuff off for her dad while she, Gurk and Jay are out of town for Rumble Circuit."

"Yeah, that's fine. Not a prob—" The prisoner started kicking the back of the Ringa's seat. "Give me a sec." Brielle turned on the prod again and lunged towards the backseat again. "We already told you your rights!" A zap rang out. "Don't make us toss you in the back of the Hauler! You know how much more time you'll get in Confinement if you don't behave!"

Ringa sighed and looked at Itzel. Her body continued to bump forward from the onslaught of kicks from the prisoner in the back. "We'll be more than happy to help you and your dad out. I've got to get going. Just... send us a message."

"Will do, Ringa." The Detective turned her head as the thumping continued. She drew her gun and looked behind her seat. The call cut out as Ringa aimed the weapon towards the man in the back.

"Perfect. See, Dad? Told you that they wouldn't mind lending a helping hand. Especially after we rescued their nephew for free!"

"One less thing to worry about," Galo replied.

Itzel sat down in the last available spot on the sofa. She leaned back and focused on the program playing on the projector. A silence overcame the individuals in the room as they all remained focused on the program. "I remember this one," Itzel said abruptly. She pointed at the main actor on the screen. "This is where he drags that monster out of the water by the neck."

"This episode was your mother's favorite," Galo replied without taking his eyes off the program. On the screen, the actor began wrestling with a shadowy monster, one that looked like a more humanoid Lurker. "We watched this episode together back when we first met."

"And this was one of the first episodes that you showed me. I remember because that monster used to terrify me."

"That creature looks so life-like," Janus asked in awe.

"Yeah, but it's nothing compared to the stuff you've seen as an Exterminator, eh?" Itzel replied.

"Good point."

Galo stared at the projector. Tears started to form in his eyes.

"Dad..." Itzel said quietly. She gently placed a hand on his shoulder. "Everything alright?"

Galo wiped the wetness out of his eyes with the back of his hand. "Just some memories coming back is all."

"You mean of Mom?"

Galo nodded. "Can't help but recall the first time you watched this episode when you brought it up. It's almost like I'm reliving it right now."

"I'm sorry Dad." Itzel reached over and gave Galo a hug across his body.

"Don't be."

"We can stay if you're worried about being alone," Itzel whispered.

"No. You know your mother wanted you to chase your dreams." Galo blinked a few times. He looked up towards the ceiling before taking in a long breath. "Do not give this up because I might feel lonely for a bit!" He looked into his daughter's eyes. "No more discussion. You got the tickets. You're going. And that's final."

Itzel remained quiet. She averted her gaze from her father.

"I know you want to go. More than anything," Galo said. "Please. Do it for me Itzel."

"Thank you, Dad."

"But before you go..." Galo started. "Could you finish this episode?" He then smiled. "You know. For the memories?"

"Of course." Itzel's eyes turned red. She blinked a couple of times to clear out her tears before resting her head on Galo's shoulder. They both turned towards the projector and continued to watch the program.


Announcement

And that's the end of Book 2! Again, thank you so much for the comments, follows, faves and ratings! Stuff like that keeps me trucking along!

Rumble Circuit will be back a week from now! In the meantime, you could always check out my other story, Lethal Combo

And as a bonus, here's a small preview of my other story that will be available soon...

3