Chapter 117: Tried and True Tactic
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as Janus and Itzel passed the corner of the front of the Transporter, they could see the Sand Carver move away from the side of the vehicle. It travelled in the opposite direction before doing a U-turn in its burrowing tunnel. It dug at a breakneck pace before leaping out of the sand and crashing into the Transporter's side at a perpendicular angle. The vehicle rocked from side from the impact as the Sand Carver went underneath the ground again to prepare for another strike. 

"I don't think it's going to be able to stand another direct hit like that!" Janus said as he focused on the damaged area of the Transporter. All the windows were smashed to bits and the metal was contorted and caved in. "Looks like it's trying to split the entire thing into two!"

"If it does that then it would probably be able to dig it's way to the very back and get to all of the passengers!" Itzel replied.

"It looks dedicated to breaking through that specific section," Janus said. "We'll have to capitalize on that."

"Use your plan then? Try to get the Sand Carver to ram into the spear on its own?"

Janus nodded. "Exactly."

"One of us should let Mag know about the change in plan. You got his ID to call him?"

Janus froze. "I don't think so. Did you get it?"

Itzel shook her head. "Nope. Never asked for it."

"So one of us has to find a way to let him know then, huh?"

"We've both got Rising Techniques. One of us could use it to try and get back up on the Transporter to give the man the news about the new tactic."

"It might best to have him down here with us. That way he can always have a steady shot on the Sand Carver," Janus said. "Especially now that our plan involves timing lunging the spear into it when it's close to the Transporter."

"Alright. You go do it," Itzel said as she pointed in the direction of the roof of the Pilot's Section. "I don't think you'll be able to survive going up against the Sand Carver if it decides to change its focus from the Transporter to you."

"Got it." Not wanting to waste any more time, Janus sprinted across the scorching and towards the Pilot Section. Once in front of it, he watched as it shook once more from another ramming by the Sand Carver. The area of the Transporter that had been hit curved the entire vehicle inwards. Janus jumped back as the tip of the Pilot's Section skid towards him. He could faintly hear Mag shout out an expletive from above. 

"Hold on Mag!" Janus yelled. He then readied himself to perform his Ion Tail Special Technique. He launched himself high into the air with a backwards kick. After reaching the apex of the jump, he clutched onto the ledge that Itzel had fallen from earlier. With a bit of struggling, Janus pulled himself back into the Pilot's Section. "Mag!" he shouted up towards the hatch. "There's been a change in plans!"

"I'm coming down there! I can't hit that thing from this vantage point!"

"That was part of it," Janus replied. Instead of using the leader, Mag hopped straight down the hatch, landing on the ground with a stomp. 

"We've been wasting time with this convoluted, multi-directional tactic. I'm just going to blast that thing until it can't move anymore!"

"That's what Itzel and I were thinking. Since the Sand Carver can move at high velocities, we were hoping to use its momentum to our own advantage."

"Yeah, yeah. Do whatever you think is best. As long as I can just start shooting, I'm more than fine with it."

"I uh... think we can work that into our revised strategy."

"No time to revise it any further." Mag looked out the empty window, staring at the sand that was being upturned. Itzel kept the spear pointed in the direction of the Essencima, but by the way it moved it was clear that it was more concerned with trying land another direct hit on the side of the Transporter. "I'm going down there now. Feel free to follow me if you want to be useful." Mag swung the strap of the gun around his back and crawled out of the Pilot's Section window. Janus looked down and saw Mag let go of the edge and land on the sand perfectly. He then turned around and put the cannon into his hands, keeping it low as he sprinted towards the Essencima.

Mag really seems to know what he's doing... Janus thought as he watched the man move like a soldier through enemy territory. With some hesitation, Janus followed in Mag's footsteps by going through the same window and falling to the ground in a less graceful manner. Once he regained his balance from the fall, Janus turned to see Itzel and Mag both facing down an approaching Sand Carver buried beneath the sand.

"Did Janus fill you in on the plan that we came up with?" Itzel asked, not taking her eyes of the wave of sand.

"Yeah. You two can try to get your plan working if you want. But I'm going to focus on what has at least had some effectiveness. But please, try not get in the way. 

"But that gun only annoys this thing! Janus and I were thinking that maybe if we could use the power from both the spear and the gun at the same time, maybe then the—"

Mag took his eyes of his target to look at Itzel. He gave her an irked look. Taken back by the sudden change in tone, Itzel pulled took a step back. "The Transporter is on the verge of being split wide open! I'm not going to waste any more time testing out plans that don't work! My daughter is in there. I'm going to take out that Sand Carver or die trying. You two can try to do what you want, but I'm not partaking in anymore convoluted tactics!"

Janus ran forward and joined the conversation. "I get where you're coming from, Mag," he said. "You seem to know what you're doing. I've got a feeling that my plan has a shot at working. I don't think our ideas are incompatible." Mag kept his gun pointed at the still approaching Sand Carver, paying no mind to what Janus had said. 

"Come on Janus," Itzel began to run towards the section that had become dented from the Essencima's repeated attacks. "Help me place this spear!"

"On it!" Together they ran towards the damage section of the Transporter. The ground beneath them rumbled more with each passing moment. Itzel didn't stop her sprint until she right up against the warped and collapsed section of the Transporter.

"Think that's a good spot?" Itzel pointed towards a small gap between two twisted steel panels. 

"Not like we have the time to test out anywhere else!"

Itzel took the hand of the spear and thrust it into the spot indicated. Noticing that she was having difficulty securing the spear, Janus helped her to adjust the angle of the weapon. With a bit of twisting, the spear was successfully wedged into the side of the damaged Transporter wall. Itzel gave it a quick tug, making sure that it didn't bend or fall out.

"Now just press the button!" Janus exclaimed with his head turned towards the Essencima. It showed its countless rows of jagged teeth as it leapt out of its tunnel. Itzel activated the switch on the handle. Blue sparks flew from the metal tip, sending lighting out in all directions. Itzel and Janus dashed away in opposite directions, but still away from the soaring Sand Carver. 

As he fell to the ground, Janus kept his eyes locked on the now-plummeting creature, his gaze fixated out of pure fear. The Sand Carver's body blocked out the desert sun, casting a shadow over him. At the apex of the creature's leap, a blue projectile rocketed through the sky, hitting the Essencima in the side. Instead of falling in an arc, the Sand Carver spasmed as electricity shot through its body. 

The creature landed on the protruding spear jaw first. Black gunk and purple flesh splattered across the sand as the Sand Carver landed back on the ground. The crunching sound of metal cutting through Essencima flesh was overcome by the blunt crash the creature made as its spasming body hit the side of the Transporter. 

Convulsions could be seen going throughout the length of the sand crawler in short and violent spurts. It made a long and dreadful hiss as its body continued to squirm. Janus crawled further away, unable to look away from the sight. Mag took another shot, hitting the Sand Carver in the middle. The part that took the last expanded in an instant before bursting open, sending black gunk spraying across the scolding desert sand. 

Both the shaking and hissing of the Essencima came to an abrupt halt. 

"What do you know," Mag said, lowering the gun to his side. "Looks like your plan worked."

2