Chapter 118: Carver Carved
43 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Itzel came from around the body of the Sand Carver, keeping her eyes fixated on the gore. Her face contorted into a look of disgust as she passed by the gaping crater in the Essencima's side. Black chunks leaked out of the remains, spilling into a long creek of black sludge in the sand. 

"We did it," Itzel said with relief. 

"I'm surprised," Mag replied. He let the gun rest on his back before activating his projection. On the screen, Sheila appeared with Gurk's face poking in through the background. "How are you doing, Sheila?" Mag asked worriedly.

"I'm just fine, Father!" Sheila replied. "A bit shaken up but no injuries!"

Mag let out a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness. And are you holding up fine, Gurk?"

The crocodile gave a thumbs up. "Yep."

"And what about the rest of the passengers?" Mag asked.

Sheila turned behind her as Gurk stepped to the side. Multiple passengers were pressed against the wall, still covering themselves with their hands. "We've got a couple of bumps and bruises, but I haven't seen anything severe."

"Great! The Essencima has been neutralized. Tell everyone onboard that things are safe. At least for now. We'll be back on the Transporter shortly."

Sheila closed her eyes and flashed a smile that showed her pearly teeth. "I'm so glad to hear that! I'll let everyone know!"

"Over and out," Mag said.

"Over and out!"

The screen cut off. Mag looked at Janus and Itzel who were still staring at the carcass of the Sand Carver. "Rescue Crew should be here. Eventually," Mag said.

"Hopefully they won't take us back to Labrisson," Itzel replied. "This Transporter was the only trip that was going to Sano Mosado for the next two weeks."

"Don't know about you Itzel, but I'm just glad to be alive right now," Janus said as he wiped away the sweat that gathered on his forehead with the back of his hand. 

"I am too. And it's even better that no one was hurt. But I wanted to go to Sano Mosado to get a break from Exterminating, you know? Not only was our little reprieve postponed to do exactly what it is we're try to get a break from, but now we'll probably have to go back and give up our spot in the Rumble Circuit Exhibition!" Itzel kicked some sand in the direction of the Sand Carver's body. "Of all the luck! A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity ruined by a once-in-lifetime disaster!"

With a huff, Itzel crossed her arms and continued to stare at the dead Essencima in silence. Mag put a hand on her shoulder, snapping her out of simmering frustration. "Sheila and I will still be heading towards Sano Mosado. I was going to contact a private Carrier company to pick us up. If you'd like, I could order a larger transport so you two and Gurk can tag along."

"Really?" Itzel turned herself around in a flash to face Mag. Janus could see hope in her eyes as she looked at the generous benefactor. "You'd be willing to do that for us?"

"Of course! Without you two, my daughter and I might not even be around in the first place."

"Thank you so much!" Itzel said with glee. She took hold of Mag's hand with both of hers and gave it a strong shake. "You hear that Janus? The dream still lives!"

"I appreciate your generosity,” he said to Mag. “I was actually looking forward to attending the Exhibition event."

"Don't mention it!" Mag gave Janus a heft pat on the back, making him stagger forward from the impact. "It's the least I can do for the team that helped save everyone on the Transporter."

"I don't know about you two, but I could really use a drink of water right now," Janus said as he put a hand to his throat. "This desert is really starting to get to me."

"I know how you're feeling Janus," Itzel replied. She walked away from the deceased Sand Carver and towards the Pilot's Section. "A few more minutes out here and I'll probably pass out."

"Don't worry. Once we're inside the Transporter. I'll buy everyone drinks. How does that sound?" Mag said with a large grin.

"The Transporter company better buy them for us!" Itzel jokingly snapped. "We saved them a whole lot of customers!"

All three reentered the vehicle through the Pilot's Section. With Mag leading, together they moved the empty sections of the front of the vehicle. Each one was empty with a wide assortment of luggage, food and furniture scattered across the ground. After some careful movement through the caved in area of the vehicle to avoid the sharp protruding bits of jagged metal, the trio picked up the pace and made their way to the rearmost car. Mag opened the door and entered first. 

All eyes shifted to the man as he stepped inside. He was greeted with copious applause. Sheila ran to him, embracing him in her arms with a tight hug as she buried her head into his chest. "I'm so glad that you're alive," she said with relief.

Mag patted her on the back. "Couldn't have done it without the help of Itzel and Janus," he said. The other two then walked in behind him and were greeted with similar fanfare. Gurk approached them, raising one hand to which Itzel promptly responded with a high-five. 

"Nice," the crocodile said before offering the same notion to Janus. 

"Thanks, Gurk," Janus replied after giving him a high-five of his own. "Mag did most of the work though. His aim was on point the entire ordeal!"

"I was impressed," Itzel added. "Didn't think an investor would make for such a great shot."

"Well, you know," Mag said hesitantly. "The things a father is capable of doing for his daughter. Oh! How could I forget about my promise!" Mag looked around the crowd of people, searching for an employee of the Transporter. His eyes narrowed in on the pilot. "Hey," he shouted in the man's direction, grabbing his attention. "Is it possible to get us some water? That desert can really dehydrate you."

"Of course, sir!" the pilot said. He left the room and scurried towards the front of the vehicle. The entire room soon succumbed to a loud ruckus as the passengers all surrounded the three that had slain the Essencima. Janus, Itzel and Mag were all bombarded by compliments and questions from those that they had rescued. Pictures were taken by grateful riders as they waited for a chance to get their questions and comments in.

"I think we'll be stuck in here for a while, Janus," Itzel said in a low tone. 

"We're hours away from any other town. I think it's a good way to kill some time," Janus replied. He then faced the group of people asking him questions, laughing as he partook in conversation.

2