Chapter 18: Take You for a Ride
242 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“If that’s the case, then you’ve got one option.” Ringa brought up her Implant and sorted through some screens. “Technically, you are required to come into our custody. But you seem like a good guy, so we won’t drag you out in a pair of cuffs. And I don’t won’t to hold you in the detention center, either.”

“Where will you take me?” Janus asked.

“If you want to be free to roam around Labrisson, you’ll have to get Implant.”

“You can do that?” Itzel said with a hint of surprise. “I thought they had to be put in you when you’re born.”

“That’s the easiest and most efficient way to do it, yes. But it is still possible to receive an Implant well into adulthood through other means. It’s a rare occurrence but it happens. Although I personally haven’t seen one myself.”

Janus rubbed his forehead with the palm of his hand. “Alright. I guess I have no other choice.”

Ringa gave the distressed Janus a friendly jab on the shoulder. “Cheer up. I know it sounds daunting if you’ve never had one, but you’ll come to appreciate it. I don’t even know how you could get by without an implant in the first place.”

“That’s what Itzel told me. But I’m more concerned with the process itself. Is it… painful?”

Ringa shook her head. “Sorry pal. No clue. Like I said, it’s such a rare occurrence. I have no clue how it works or even what it looks like. All I know is that the procedure is possible and where you can get it.”

“What about these two?” Brielle asked as she stood between Itzel and Gurk. She received a cold glare from the former while her back was turned.

The detective shrugged her shoulders. “They’ll have to come along.”

“What? Why?” Itzel moaned.

“Technically you two have been aiding an Implantless individual. Janus even admitted to it when he said that he discussed what to do with Gurk about rescuing that trapped civilian. And I know you two are always together. You’ve been abetting an abettor.”

“Great.” Itzel jabbed Gurk in the arm with her elbow while giving him a mean look.

“We won’t hold you up too long. Just until the perp gets an Implant. Is that fair enough?”

Despite the lax terms, Itzel couldn’t stop her eyes from rolling back into her head. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Good,” Ringa turned to face her partner. “I finished the Primary Survey of the scene. No deaths so that’s always a plus. Not very often someone can say that when there’s an Ogre involved.”

“With the Secondary Squadron on their way and the Rescue Crew already here, I guess that means we’re clear to leave,” Brielle said to her partner.

“There’s a Medical Center a few blocks away from here that can install a Late-Term Physical Implant. We’ll take Janus and his pals over there.”

“I wouldn’t say we’re his pals,” Itzel butted in. “Just acquaintances.”

Both the detective and the officer turned towards the other pair. They stared at Gurk for a moment then looked towards each other.

“I don’t think he’ll fit in the standard issue carrier,” Ringa said.

“Guess we’ll need back-up,” Brielle responded.


“Where are we headed?” Janus asked. Ringa held the back door open to the shining white carrier that she and her partner had arrived in. There were flashing red and blue lights that traveled along the edges of the vehicle, but the accompanying sirens were silent. Along the side door was the word “ENFORCEMENT” written in bold and black letters. Ringa cracked the door open wide and invited him to enter with a bow. He obliged and took and seat behind the driver’s side. In a few moments, both the detective and the officer entered the front of the vehicle, with Ringa sitting in front of the operator’s panel.

Janus’ eyes floated around the vehicle’s inside. Despite his situation, he found excitement in being able to ride inside one of the flying machines he saw earlier. The interior wasn’t too different from what he would have seen back in Oregon in a typical automobile. There were panels across the dashboard, but unlike the police vehicles he was familiar with, they were floating much like the ones created by Implants. The detective tapped a few options on the glowing screen in front of her and the vehicle made a gentle revving sound.

“Don’t forget to buckle up,” Ringa said with her looking towards the backseat as shut her door.

“Oh, right. Nice to see there’s some consistency.” He fasted his seatbelt and leaned sank back into the cushion.

“We’re going to Labrisson Medical Center 68. They’re one of the few LMCs that can give you an Implant at your age,” Ringa said. She proceeded to operate one of the glowing panels hovering in front of the dashboard and the carrier started to lift off. Janus looked out of his window and he watched the horizon slowly lower. A feeling of weightlessness overcame him as the ground beneath began to vanish as the altitude of the vehicle increased. Then a sinking sensation came in; his mind raced back to being a child riding on a rollercoaster for the first time. The vehicle stopped rising several stories above the ground. Fear kicked in. He felt the carrier wobbling from side to side. Janus looked out the front window and could see more floating vehicles pass in front like lanes of grounded traffic. The nostalgia of reaching the peak of the rollercoaster came flooding back as he braced himself for the inevitable jump in acceleration. He closed his eyes. Tensed his muscles. Then he tilted his head away.

“Everything alright there, Janus?” Ringa said as she glanced into the monitor that showed her a live feed of the back seat.

“Huh?” Janus opened his eyes. He looked out the window and saw a glowing city skyline ease by. Other floating carriers passed by at a slow pace. “Are we moving?”

“Yes, we’re moving,” Brielle replied curtly.

“Oh,” Janus let out a sigh of relief. “I thought were going to be travelling just a tad bit faster.”

“In this traffic? Don’t think so. Have you ever been inside an enforcer’s carrier before? Or any carrier at all?” Ringa asked. She inched the vehicle forward, making sure not to bump into the one in front of her. Janus turned his head to peek outside the rear window. Another carrier was practically hovering bumper to bumper relative to the one he was in.

“No, this is my first time. But I’ve been in something like a carrier before.”

“Looks like you were about to start crying there for a minute,” Ringa said with a chuckle.

“Just some memories coming back is all.” Janus stared down at the black floorboard and began to twiddle his thumbs. “Hey, is it alright if I ask you some questions?” he asked, looking towards the front of the vehicle. He could see Ringa looking back at him through the mirror projection towards the top of the front window.

“Of course!” Ringa replied.

13