Chapter 33: A Small Diversion
214 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Itzel, there's a very important question that I wanted to ask you," Janus said loudly as he reached the peak of his Ion Comet. Itzel kept her arms crossed as he watched him come back down to the ground, this time landing upright and without wobbling. 

"Go for it."

"Do I have to say the name of my Technique every time I use it? Now that I think about it, that's somewhat counterintuitive when it comes to fighting an opponent in something like a Ranked Challenge."

"As you can see, it's not like you have to say the name of your Technique every time you use it. But it's just what all of the top of fighters in Rumble Circuit do. There isn't a single Broadcaster out there that doesn't call out their Techniques as the perform them."

"And why is that?" Janus asked as his body lowered for another Ion Tail. He sent himself upwards once more, but this time at a lower height than the first. Gurk and Ven watched with awe as their eyes followed his trajectory. "Seems like you're giving your opponent an ample opportunity to counter your attack when shout it aloud."

"It's not all about winning. Don't get me wrong, that's important too, but Rumble Circuit isn't strictly about gaining rank. Personality plays a huge factor in whether or not you'll make it as a fighter, too. It allows people to familiarize themselves with you. They learn your Techniques. They get to hear your voice. It helps to establish a connection with viewers."

"I see, I see." Janus leaned forward on his knees as he took in a few deep breaths. "I don't have much interest in becoming a professional in Rumble Circuit, so maybe I'll just keep the names of my Techniques to myself. I'll be spending more time Exterminating anyway."

"Do it!" Gurk said with a smile.

"Yeah! Say Ion Tail!" Ven said, grinning as well. "It's more fun when you say it!"

"See?" Itzel said, pointing at the other two with an open hand. "Rumble Circuit is entertainment first and foremost. It's the audience that you want to please as well. And besides, people say the name of their Technique as they perform it. It's not like you telegraphing anything if you say Ion Tail as your foot collides into their jaw."

Janus looked up at Gurk and Ven. "Alright. I'll try it. For you two, my viewers," he said with a laugh. “Ion Tail!” Janus propelled himself towards the ceiling once more. As he rose, he heard a small round of applause from the other three. He landed gracefully once more, bowing his head once his legs were upright. "Thank you, thank you."

"Alright Janus. I think you've mastered your first Technique. Now we need to get going. You're not going to earn a lot of Tokens just doing Ion Tail in an empty room,” Itzel said.

"We're going to go hunting for more Essencima?" 

"You know it."

Janus smiled. "If I'm being honest, I'm excited to try out my attack on a Lurker or two. Is that wrong?"

"Nope. Not at all. But hopefully we'll come across something a bit more profitable than a couple of Lurkers." Itzel headed towards the exit. The others followed behind her. They all exited the building while Itzel looked at her Tracker. "Seems like we've got a bit more walking to do. There aren't more Essencima around here."

"Where are we going next?" Janus asked.

"Just going to roam. See where the Tracker takes us."

"Hopefully it won't take us an hour or two to come across more Essencima," Janus said as he wiped away some of the Essencima gunk off his jacket.

"That eager to use your new Technique on something, huh?"

"You could say that."

"I don't think it'll be too long. Labrisson is the home of Essencima after all." Itzel took another glance at her Tracker. It was still blank. "Oh, check out your banking account. See if you got paid for those Lurkers you took out."

With some hesitation, he brought up the banking menu. "I don't want to look at this. It's a bit too much like being at home in Oregon." The big number was still there and red, but the total itself had gotten smaller. "310,994," he said. "Looks those Lurkers I took out were worth a few Tokens."

"Congratulations. You're on your way to becoming debt free," Itzel joked.

"At this rate, I'll just need to take out one hundred fifty thousand more." 

"Prices of bounties fluctuate. Usually Lurkers only give one Token. Just then they gave out two. Who knows? Maybe you'll be lucky enough to find some that'll give you three!"

"Wouldn't that be nice."

"Look at the bright side," Itzel said as she led the group out of the single door gate. "With the more you fight, the more Techniques you'll learn!"

"That does make this all worthwhile. I'll probably be as strong as you and Gurk by the time I pay off this debt."

"Don't get too ahead of yourself."

"I have an Affinity, at least. Doesn't that put me ahead of most other Exterminators and fighters?"

"Not necessarily," Itzel said. She looked both ways down a long street. A low-flying carrier swooped down by, sending a breeze across the group before traveling further down. "You don't need an Affinity to do all that stuff," she continued as she crossed the pavement. Everyone else followed behind her. "Enidri uses a weapon because she doesn't have one. As much as I dislike her, I can't deny that she's one of the best Exterminators in all of Labrisson. Her Rumble Circuit ranking isn't too shabby either, even if that last win of hers wasn't properly earned."

"Her sword is her Affinity?"

Itzel nodded. "Yeah. It's what she uses to fight with. Most of her Techniques are centered around it. And if she didn't have it, she wouldn't be all that formidable. It gives her an edge when Exterminating, but with the way Rumble Circuit is able to balance out how damage is dealt via Implants, she needs to use proper strategy and timing just like everyone else to perform well."

"I wanna have a 'finnity!" Ven said as he let go of Gurk's collar. Like Janus back at the abandoned building, he began throwing out imaginary projectiles with his hands. "I hope mine's ice like Gurk."

"Yeah. Cool..." the crocodile said as he nodded. With a few more steps they crossed the street and were on the other side of the street. There was an empty park gated away behind a long fence. Ven's attention turned towards the expansive area; it was the only location within the city that they had passed that any amount of green within it. His eyes became fixated by something that was going within the perimeter of the metal fence. The child pulled on the collar of Gurk's jacket like the reins of a horse, making him come to a complete halt. 

"Look Gurk!" Ven said, extending his pointer finger towards the middle of the grassy area. The crocodile turned his head and looked through the beams of the metal fence. "Cyber Rivals!"

"Where?" Gurk's eyes panned the field. The area was populated with Labrissoners of all shapes and sizes participating in all manner of activities. The crocodile squinted, looking for anything that resembled the activity that Ven had mentioned. Itzel noticed that Gurk trailed behind and beckoned to him with a wave of her hand.

"Gurk! Come on. We don't have all day!" Itzel said, stopping mid-step to get her friend’s attention.

The crocodile continued to stare into the field while Ven continued to point towards at something in the park. "There Gurk! To the right! The other right."

"See? This is why I didn't want him tagging along," Itzel whispered to Janus with her arms crossed. "Now we've got to be babysitters. For free." 

"I don't see anything wrong with a little diversion," Janus said as he headed towards the other two. "I'm new here. I'd like to see what else this world has to offer." He put his hands in his pockets and took a spot next to Gurk.

"Oh, so you learn one Special Technique and now you're all for living in Labrisson, huh?" Itzel said as she stood next to Janus. "Hasn't even been a full day since you were crying about Ore-whatever."

"I'm just trying to familiarize myself with my new home," Janus replied. "Is that so wrong? There's got to be more to living in Labrisson than fighting and working."

"Yeah. Sleeping and not dying," she said as she rolled her eyes.

"Come on Itzel," Janus said, gesturing towards the open field with his hand. "Why don't you just unwind for a bit? The temperature is nice and comfortable. The sky is clear. The Refinery Sector's exhaust hasn't blown over towards this part of the city yet. Let's just enjoy the moment while we can."

"Fun," Gurk said after having heard the conversation.

"Yeah. They're playing Cyber Rivals over there!" Ven said as he climbed down Gurk's back.

"What's Cyber Rivals?" Janus asked the child. He received a pair of wide, blue eyes as part of his response. 

"Oh no, don't get him started," Itzel remarked with some sarcasm. "Ven will go on about it all day. Gurk too. They're both into it."

"Game," Gurk said.

"The best game!" Ven began bouncing up and down, giddy at the mere thought of it. "Lemme show you." The child took hold of Janus' arm and began to lead him to the entrance of the gate. He was surprisingly fast, catching Janus off-guard once he began his sprint. 

"Wait!" Gurk shouted as he took long strides behind them. Itzel shook her head once she saw Ven take Janus into the park, still tugging onto the sleeve of his jacket. 

"Fine!" Itzel shouted. She stomped her way to the park, trying to get the attention of the other three. "But we're not going to be here all day! Hey! Are you three even listening?"

10