Chapter 40: Mind Your Manners
168 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"No, no!" Arva shook her head, looking worried as she did so. "That's not what I meant at all! But even you can't deny that someone like Gurk is bound to draw some attention."

"Let me guess. You want him on Siergi's Broadcast. Then you want him to lose in front of hundreds of thousands of viewers. Siergi gets an influx of contributions and views while Gurk goes home humiliated." Itzel sat back in her seat and crossed her arms. "Let me know if I'm wrong."

Arva opened her mouth but didn't say anything. Noticing that his partner had gotten hung up, he continued the discussion. "There is some truth to what you say. Not all is true. Just some," he said to Itzel. "Remember, being a Broadcaster is business! You do things that will bring in viewers. And you know Gurk is the kind of person to turn heads just by walking into a room!"

"Even when he's just passing a window, people can't help but look at him," Arva added.

"Now we aren't saying you're some kind of freak," Maluk turned to the crocodile. "We saw how you handled yourself against that Essencima. You're a very formidable fighter, Gurk. I respect that."

"And Siergi is always looking for fresh talent to bring onto his broadcast,” Arva said. “We'd love to have you on! You can show him what you're capable of. And we'll pay you to appear."

"Fighters are always lining up to challenge Siergi," Maluk continued. "And they'll hand over large number of Tokens! We'll pay you just to let Siergi issue you a challenge! This is something that almost never happens. Very rare opportunity."

"Siergi must be desperate if he's paying others to show up on his Broadcast. All these missing Exterminators must have really narrowed his pool of suckers... I mean opponents... to challenge," Itzel butted in. Arva continued to look concerned, bordering on embarrassed. Maluk turned to Itzel, nodding with one eyebrow raised.

"You are brutal. I kind of like that. Reminds me of me!" he said, pointing at his chest with his thumb. "But yes. Again, you are kind of correct. Missing Exterminators have cut into his options. All that's left are ones that aren't much of a challenge. But Gurk. Gurk has what it takes to put on a show!"

"Thanks!" Gurk replied, grinning.

"You know, I was there too, right?" Itzel asked. "Janus too."

"Yes, but you two aren't very special," Maluk leaned back in his seat. "No offense. But your ranking is nothing impressive," he said to Itzel. "And you. You're not even ranked!" he then said as he turned to Janus.

“No offense taken,” Janus said with a wag of his head.

"So what do you think, Gurk? Are you interested in our offer?" Arva asked.

The crocodile gave a big, eager nod. "Yeah!"

"Gurk!" Itzel said loudly. "You didn't even hear how much they're offering! Why are you taking deals that you know nothing about?"

"Even if we gave one single Token, he'd be taking a great deal. Remember? Everyone else has to pay to challenge Siergi!" Maluk said aloud.

"I understand your concern with your friend, Itzel," Arva said. Her patient demeanor began to fade, evident by her tone. "But I'm sure he's more than capable of making his own decisions. It's not like we're trying to scam him or anything. We're giving him an offer where everybody benefits!"

The employee came rushing back to the table, holding a wide tray in one hand containing four separate dishes. Everyone became silent as the waiter moved in closer to them. The dishes on the tray clattered as he slowly lowered all of the food into the center of the table. Hot steam rose from the plates, captivating Janus with the fresh aroma of the ingredients that were used.

"Guests first!" Maluk said with a grin. He waved is hand over the tray of food, inviting the others to grab their meal. Gurk moved in first, snatching the large bowl of steaming cauliflower from the middle of the table and placing it in front of him. Janus took the next turn, carefully reaching over the meals of the others to grab his bread and noodles smothered in tomato sauce and herbs. A whiff of the food made his entire body tremble from excitement. He turned to Itzel, nervously watching her to see how she reacted. Her meal was placed on the same side that she was on. She ordered a platter of rice rolls with a vegetable center.

"Finally! Time to enjoy what we came here for in the first place!" Maluk rubbed his hands took hold of his large plate of red, grilled meat. He plucked one of the condiments from the center of the table and began dousing the crimson slabs of meat with a thick, brown sauce. Janus looked at his meal with a raised eye.

"You like your meat red, huh?" he inquired.

"Yes! That is the only way to enjoy it! That's how us humans were designed to eat it! It's in our nature. Do you know how many nutrients you're missing out on when you heat it up too much?" Maluk took hold of his fork and knife and sawed into his food.

"I'll take your word for it," Janus said as he broke off a piece of his bread and dipped it into his tomato sauce.

"I think all that raw meat is starting to take a toll on your head," Arva said with a smile. She put the top slice of bread back on her sandwich, making sure that it was aligned properly. While everyone was handling their food, the employee poured drinks into tall clear glasses and slid each beverage to its respective owner.

"Apologies for the delay," he said, lifting the empty tray and stepping back.

"All is forgiven!" Maluk said, still chomping on his meal. "Tell the chef that they did excellent job!" He gave the employee an okay sign with his right hand. Without saying else, the employee vanished down the narrow walkway into the depths of the diner.

"Looks like you're enjoying your meal, my reptilian friend!" Maluk said with a smile as he watched Gurk pour the cauliflower into his jaw.

"Tasty," Gurk said, taking a break from his meal to respond.

"That's not going to be enough to fill up a big man like you. Go ahead, order some more." Maluk pulled up the menu again.

"Really?" Gurk asked.

"Of course! That goes for you two as well." Janus stuffed his face with another piece of bread as he scanned the menu once more. He nodded, not wanting to say anything with a mouthful of food. Itzel, however, ate her rolls at a leisurely place. She hid her enjoyment of her food behind a bored face.

"Back to the conversation we were having before," Arva said, drawing all eyes of the tables towards her. "What do you think Gurk? You're fine with showing up on Siergi's Broadcast?"

"When?" he asked in between another gulp of food.

"Any day works. We Broadcast all the time. All you have to do is stop by where we record."

"How much are you paying?" Itzel inquired. Arva shot her a cold glare as she put her sandwich back down on her plate.

"Ten thousand. Just for showing up."

"Good!" Gurk said immediately.

"Awesome!" Arva made a big smile, showing off her immaculate white teeth. "What day did you—"

"I think someone like Siergi could do better than that," Itzel said, putting her fork into another roll. She didn't look at Arva, instead focusing her attention on the plate before her. "Especially if he's trying to bring on someone as unique as Gurk."

"Is she your manager?" Maluk said to the crocodile.

"Hmm. Kinda."

"She likes to make hard bargains!"

"Yeah."

"Well, Itzel. What do you think would be a fair price?" Arva asked.

Itzel prodded her food with her fork. She grabbed her glass and took a sip of her drink. "He's going to need a percentage of the Broadcast's contributions."

Arva and Maluk looked at each other. The woman was clearly annoyed while her partner carried a look of fatigue. "At first I liked you," he said. He placed his fork and knife back on the plate. "But now you're just making things complicated."

"You do know that's how we make most of our earnings, right?" Arva said. "There's no way Siergi is going to give up a big portion of that."

"Gurk's going to be the one bringing in the viewers, right? I don't see why he shouldn't get a percentage of what viewers send in." Itzel took a sip of her drink all while avoiding eye contact.

"If Gurk wants contributions, he can start his own Broadcast!" Maluk raised his voice, just enough to show that he was becoming frustrated. "Anyone who challenges Siergi gets massive boost in viewers. Believe me. People will want to give Gurk Tokens! He won't need a portion of Siergi's contributions!"

"Doesn't he Broadcast five times a week? Is giving Gurk a small chunk of one day's earnings going to break him?" Itzel too raised her voice, leaning forward towards Maluk, staring at him with fervor. "It's not like he'll have to live in Labrisson just because he gives his guest of honor a bit of the profit that he's helping to generate!"

"Gurk is an adult! He can make his own decisions!" Maluk barked back. "He doesn't need you take make choices for him."

"Maluk, keep it down," Arva said. "I know you're worked up, but we're in a public diner."

"I know, I know. But you know how I get when I have to be around rude and ungrateful individuals!"

"I'm grateful!" Janus said, scooping up some noodles with his spoon.

"I'm the rude and ungrateful one?" Itzel shot up from her seat, leaning forward as she pressed down on the table with both of her hands, shaking all the plates on the surface. "You two and Siergi are just like the Refinery Sector! Exploiting desperate people for your own personal gain! And now you're trying to turn Gurk into some kind... of attraction... all because there's no one left in the city for you take advantage of! And you have the audacity to say that I'm the one that I'm being rude and ungrateful!"

"Itzel, calm down!" Janus said, raising one hand with the hopes to calm her down. She pulled her arm back and stepped away from the table.

"I'm not hungry. And I can pay for my own food!" Itzel walked away from the table in a hurry, her fists dangling from her side as she drudged down the narrow path of the diner. All the customers eyed her as she walked past, creating a small murmur as the patrons returned to their meals to discuss the scene that had just transpired.

"Bah! Good riddance!" Maluk said, flicking his hand towards her direction. "Now that she's gone, we can have actual discussion!" He looked at Gurk and noticed his head was turned back towards where she had just left. Janus too stared towards the diner's exit, shaking his head as he put his fork back on his plate. For a brief moment, no one said anything, leaving Maluk to look around the table to see if anyone would be willing to break the silence.

"Would anyone want to continue discussion?" He looked at Arva. She had her head down, adjusting the cap on her head as she made a deep sigh. "Don't tell me you think she's right!" Maluk said to her.

"Not now, alright?" Arva said, raising her head to give her partner an irked looked. "Can't you just let it go for now?"

"Fine, fine. If you say so. I'll keep my mouth shut for the rest of lunch, eh?"

"I like that idea."

Maluk pinched two of his fingers together and fastened the imaginary zipper that sealed his mouth shut. He then returned to his meal, cutting away at another piece of meat, but this time with a heavy hand.

"Sorry for what just happened," Janus said. "Itzel can be... passionate... about certain things."

"I can tell," Arva replied. "I'm sure she means well. But Gurk. Our offer still stands. And it's not like you have to accept it here and now. If you ever want to come by and challenge Siergi, just let us know, okay?"

Gurk nodded. "Alright."

Arva brought up her Identification Code. "Just send me a message once you've made up your mind. After that, we'll make arrangements for you to appear on our Broadcast. Does that work with you?"

Gurk's screen was brought up. He quickly scanned Arva's UIC and then made it disappear. "Yep."

"Thank you, Gurk." Arva gave him a soft smile before turning off her screen. She put her hands in her lap and let out a small breath. "Now that's out of the way, let's just go ahead and try to enjoy our food, shall we?"

"I'm ahead of you!" Maluk mumbled with a few forkfuls of his food in hand. Arva took a bite of her sandwich, noticing that Janus was looking towards her.

"I feel terrible for asking this, but would it be possible to order a meal for someone who isn't here?" Janus asked with some hesitation. "It's not the politest thing to do, I know. But this person could use a meal."

"Absolutely!" Maluk said. "If this person is a friend of you and Gurk, then they are more than welcome! Well, except for— Yee-ouch!" The man jumped back in his seat. A short and sharp sound of static crackled as Arva gave her partner a jab in the side with an elbow, charged with electricity. Maluk reached over to rub the area where he was shocked. By the way her eyes squinted and her eyebrows furrowed, it was obvious she was irritated.

"You never listen, do you?" she whispered.

9