Chapter 56: A Private Affair
115 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Ogre went for an overhead slam towards Gurk. The crocodile stopped the attack by raising both hands over his head, holding onto the forearms of the creature. Gurk trembled as he struggled to keep the Ogre still as he dug his claws into its flesh. As Gurk and the Essencima continued their struggle, Enidri turned her attention back towards Donva.

He summoned another tendril by lowering his hand with an open palm. This time it jutted out from the ceiling and swung at Enidri’s head. A swift slash from her Ion Blade slit it into two. She then jumped and dashed through the air once more, trying to minimize distance between her and her target. However, with another wave of his hand, a new tendril spawned and snatched Enidri mid-air by wrapping itself around her waist. It slunk back into the sludge that it came from, slamming Enidri into the ground on its way out. 

"I thought the Saelex family was affinity-less," Enidri said with a wince. She got back to her feet shakily. 

"Not this one," Donva said, pointing to himself with midnight-black thumb. "At least… not anymore. I developed one in the lab as I spent time with Essencima. Now I can control them, as well as—"

"Serrated Gale!" 

The wind attack struck Donva in the face, making him stumble backwards and down into the hole of the floor. Enidri set herself upright and faced a rapidly approaching Itzel.

"Good shot," she said as she brushed some of the Essencima gunk off her waist.

"Thanks. There are situations where that technique can be useful." Itzel looked behind her and saw Gurk still holding onto the Lurker's arm while Janus moved around it from behind. "What's the plan now?" she asked. 

"I'm heading down to chase Donva before he gets away!" Enidri said as she pointed into gap in the floor. She lowered her legs onto the edge before looking at Brielle. "Is Ringa alright?"

"I think so. I can't get a signal in here to let anyone know of our location though!"

"You and Itzel go help Gurk and Janus with that Ogre. Get it out of here before it hurts any of the missing victims," Enidri said as she gestured towards the battle behind her with her thumb. Brille nodded and ran over to the fight, holding her gun down low in the process. Enidri hopped down the hole once she saw the officer aim her gun at the Ogre. Once she landed, she turned around and saw that Itzel was lowering herself down as well. "What are you doing!?" she exclaimed.

Itzel's legs swung back and forth before finally landing on the pile of rubble directly beneath her. "You're going to need my help!" she said. "That guy summoned an Ogre all by himself! What if you get in over your head, huh? You'll need someone to back you up to make sure you make it out alive."

"Itzel," Enidri began as she headed in the direction of the front entrance of the refinery. "You're the last person I'd ever want to be my back up." The swordswoman shook her head while keeping her eye open for any possible clues that could reveal where her half-brother had disappeared. Realizing that stealth was crucial in this moment, Itzel opted not to reply and instead stay close behind Enidri.  The light from the Ion Blade went out as she pressed a button to retract it. Both women remained silent, listening for anything that could potentially give away Donva's location. 

The sound of a metal door swinging wide open made them both dart their heads to direction that it had come from. Enidri led the walk, carefully moving along the floor as to not make any sounds. Itzel did the same, occasionally taking glances behind her to see if there was anything that was trying to flank them. 

Enidri activated her Ion Blade again, but this time a shorter distance so that the amount of light it generated was minimal. Up ahead was the large metal door that they heard swing open moments earlier. Sticking out of it was a metal track ran across the ground that led to a large, rusted cart that was toppled sideways inside the room they were currently in. Enidri followed the track’s path with her eye and noticed that the end of it was curled upwards like it was deliberately pulled from the ground by a tremendous force.

"That's a cart used to carry Concentrate," Itzel whispered, pointing at the object from over Enidri's shoulder. 

"I know. That means there's a mine on the other side of that door."

"That's... dangerous!" Itzel said with a shaky voice. 

"I know. Heavy equipment that's rusted by now. High heights which mean deep falls. And who knows how many Essencima are crawling down there." Enidri turned her head to look at Itzel. Despite the limited glow, it was clear that Enidri looked concerned. The swordswoman pointed back towards the hole that led into the floor above them. "Go back there and help them deal with that Ogre." Enidri paused when she heard a thumping come from directly above them. "Sounds like they could use your help."

"You said so yourself that the mine is going to be dangerous to traverse! You're really going to go down alone?"

"He's my brother. I have to do this!"

"This is just like you, Eni. Being so dramatic over everything!" Itzel replied, placing a hand on her hip. "Do you hate me that much that you don't trust me to accompany you on this life-or-death task?"

"You're the one that hates me, remember?" Enidri replied as she pointed towards herself. "Just let me go alone so I can at least try to talk some sense into my brother before I kill him! This is a private matter, and I don't want you intruding in case I have to make a difficult decision. Maybe if you're lucky, we'll take each other out! Wouldn't that make your day?" 

Enidri’s body trembled while her breath quivered. Itzel took hold of the woman's shoulders and kept her still. She angled her head down and looked her in the eye. "Eni," she said calmly, "Get it together. I know this is a stressful situation. But you have to keep your composure."

"I know. I know. It's just..." Enidri looked down to her side. She clenched her Ion Blade even harder. "If I lose Donva... then I'll really have no one! And it looks like there’s no convincing him. I have to kill him, Itzel! If we want Labrisson to be safe again… it’s the only option." she said as tears began to roll down her eye. "My brother finally talks to me after all these years and all he says he hates me!" Her breathing became rapid. She took a step back, making Itzel release the grip she had on her jacket before turning around to face the entrance of the mine. "I'm going down there. Alone. You go back up there and make sure Ringa and the others are safe."

"Eni..." Itzel said as she stretched out one hand. The swordswoman continued without looking back. She pushed the doors open with both hands and walked forward. As she passed through, the inside of the mines became clear. The metal floor panels of the main area of the refinery gave way to chunky orange stone. Large metal scaffoldings were left crooked and dangling from years of neglect. In the center was a large and seemingly endless chasm, of which was surrounded by a long spiraling rock trail.

Enidri slammed the doors behind her. Itzel could hear Endri's Ion Blade burning into the metal panels that made up the entrance. A bright yellow glow slowly traversed the length of where the two metal doors converged. Itzel ran to the now-closed entrance, slamming on it with both hands. "Eni!" she shouted. "Eni!"

"Stop wasting time!" a muffled voice came from the other side of the doors.

"Eni! If you can hear me," Itzel cupped her hands over her mouth and shouted back. "I'm sorry! For your eye. It was something that had always eaten away at me! I-I wish I could take it back, Eni! I really do."

"I guess that makes two of us!" the muffled voice said in return. "Go help the others!"

Itzel pressed her forehead against the wall, cursing herself for not stopping Enidri. She slammed her fist onto steel door one last time before turning around to obey Enidri's order. 

5