Chapter 8
263 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I see"

I look at the man in front of me and see if he has any hidden intention. He is. The man in front of me has a hidden agenda but what he said earlier about his group recruiting me is true. I guess he wants to use me to get himself a promotion.

This is hard. If I accept this offer, I will be put under someone's command, and I know that I will be pushed around like a well-oiled tool. I will be paid, but I'm still a tool in someone else's hand in the end.

If I reject it, I get a rather powerful enemy. Even if Deluge said that the Banker organization would not take it to heart, I know some higher-ranking personnel would hate me.

Meaning that it only leaves me with only one choice.

"I cannot accept the Banker's offer, sadly. However, I am willing to help any member of your organization that has a severe injury, and for a price, of course."

I can see Deluge smiling behind his mask. It looks like I hit the right button in his hidden agenda. It seems like he wants to be the ambassador between the Banker and me. Because he is the first to come to me, he will be appointed to be the bridge between a powerful metahuman, me, and the Banker.

"I see. That is unfortunate."

False, I can hear the difference in his voice. He was excited about this deal. I'm not too fond of this. I hate being used by someone for their gain. I know I benefit from this agreement, but it still stinks. I guess I'm just too prideful for this kind of thing.

"However, I can see why you did not want to join our organization, and I'm grateful for your agreeing to work for us."

"Not for you. I never agree to work for you, and I agree to be your business partner."

"Ahhh, I'm sorry for my words. Yes. We are grateful that you agree to be our ally."

This bastard really wants to put that word into my mouth, huh? Business partners and allies are two different things. A business partner can leave you at any moment if you are not profitable to them but an ally? You will be viewed as a traitor if you leave your ally.

"Business Partner."

"Of course. Of course. Anyway, when can you receive your first patient?"

"How fast you can get them here?"

"We can get them here tomorrow afternoon. We have a tinker that dwells in a water vehicle."

"Sure. Just notify me when you guys arrive."

"Understood. Lastly, for the price, how much do we need to pay you?"

"That depends on the injury."

"I see. Can you regenerate limbs?"

"No. However, I can make artificial limbs that should work like the original. The same with other organs."

"I see."

I can do that, but I want them to think that I cannot do that. I want to sell my organ transplant service. After all, I need a stable income, and I need the money to pay the worker I want to hire in the future.

"Then, is there anything else you need?"

"No. That is all we need to know. As long as you do a good job and do not betray our trust, the Banker will be your best friend. However, if you decide to betray us, let it be known that there is no place in this world where you can hide from us."

"Yeah, sure."

Deluge and his bodyguard get up from the couch and extend his hand to me, and I grab it and shake his hand.

"If you need something please call us. We'll help you as much as we can."

"Of course."

He nodded his head before walking away from my home. Seeing them disappear from my sight, I release a sigh.

"Papa? Are you okay?"

I look at Jacky, who is standing near the couch where I sit. Since when has she been there?

"Jacky? How long have you been in there?"

"When we feel someone coming into our home."

"How can I not see you?"

"We hide behind our smoke! Like this!"

I widen up my eyes when I see Jacky disappear from my sight. I focused on the area around Jacky and could see a slight difference in the light. If I did not focus on that place, I would never notice it.

"Woah. That is really good, Jacky."

When I said that, Jacky dispelled her cover, and I could see her bright smile.

"Really?!?"

"Yes. I'm proud of you."

"Yay~"

"There. There."

I smile at her and give Jacky a head pat she deserves.

"Hehehehe~"

While patting Jacky on the head, Daisy walks toward me and says,

"So, we will work with the Banker?"

I look at her and say,

"Yes. I think it was the best decision. I did not want to work directly under them, and I did not want to reject their offer outright. This is the only thing I can think of."

"And you are right, boss. The Banker is a powerful organization that can even be compared to the MRT in terms of power. If the MRT is the leader that controls the Hero, then the Banker is the one leading the Rogue Metahuman of the world."

"And the Villain of the world?"

"Currently, there is none, but there is a guild that is filled with villains, and their guild has known killers for hire. They are called the Thousand Hand, and I only know this name from a rumor."

"I see."

"Anway, what I want to say is that you made the right decision, Jojo. While many governments did not want to admit it, the Banker controlled the economy of the world. They can flip the global economy if they want to, and because of this, they are someone that we want to be our Business Partner."

"Oh? You didn't think of them as our ally?"

"No. By the end of the day, they are a group of rogues that band together, and we cannot trust them fully. At least not yet, I think."

I nodded my head. Fair enough.

"Anyway, knowing that they will come here tomorrow afternoon or evening, we need to tighten up our base. Daisy, how is your progress?"

"I think I can finish a simple defensive system by the end of the day."

"Good. Just don't push yourself too hard."

"Understood. I mostly leave the hard work to the Drone and only do the mechanical work like turret building."

"Speaking of turrets, can you make the turret non-lethal?"

"Hmmm. I can do that, but it will take longer."

"What kind of tinker tech do you have in mind?"

"I can make a turret that fires glue bombs, and the glue will need at least a medium to high-rank brute to break."

"Make those. You can make the lethal one the next day."

"Sure. I can do that."

"Good. That is all for today. Remember to sleep, Daisy. I did not want to see you with a bag under your eyes."

"Yeah. Yeah. What are you? My mom?"

I chuckle a little before picking Jacky up and walk toward her room. I have another child story to tell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|3rd POV|

"Yes, sir. Yes, he did not agree to join us, but I have secured an alliance between his group and us. Of course, sir. Thank you, sir. Yes. We can send them here tomorrow. Of course. Yes, sir. Understood."

Deluge put his phone inside his pocket and looked at his companion before saying,

"It looks like we need to stay here for another day to receive a dozen or so frontline members that are injured."

Aegis looks at her team leader and says.

"They trust this Behemoth this much?"

"Not really, but there is no reason for him to betray us either. As he said earlier, we are a business partner, even when I try to tell him that we are an ally, and as long we pay him, he will do his part."

"Haaaa… I guess you are right."

Deluge takes a sip of his vodka and releases a pleasant breath. His goal coming here has been fulfilled, and his standing in the organization has been promoted, but he regrets that Jojo did not want to be an ally to the Banker organization.

"Also, Jackalope."

"Huh? What do you need, boss?"

"How is Behemoth's base?"

"... You know that I'm staying behind you the entire time, right?"

"I know, but I also know that you are looking around searching for weaknesses in the building."

Jackalope looks at her boss before sighing.

"Yes. I do that. Am I that easy to read?"

"Yes. You blatantly look around the room as if you are a caged rabbit. While I did not see Behemoth mind you looking around, I know the tinker that is arming the base annoyed at your attempt to assess the base."

"Haaa… I'm sorry. It was just my instinct to search for an alternative exit door, and that's just how my power works."

"And I did not blame you. We are fortunate that Behemoth and his group are new organizations and did not have much power to fight against us. However, I need to tell you to hold back or at least make it more subtle when we are meeting a big organization."

"Understood."

"Now tell me, how good is their base?"

"Right now? Easy to be attacked and easy to get away from. I think the Tinker that works for Behemoth specializes in drones."

"That means they will reinforce their base before we get back to their base, huh? I also agree with your assessment. That woman specializes in drones, by the look of it. There are at least ten drones building something inside the base."

Deluge released a tired sigh before messaging his forehead. He knows that Behemoth and his group become more and more dangerous. Tinker is a rare commodity in the Metahuman world, and they are one of the most versatile metahumans.

Even when they only have one type of specialty, they can make many items that make them powerful metahumans. Deluge still remembers how one of their organizations became a heavy hitter even with a specialization that went for a support tinker in the book.

The man that Deluge means is called Sharko. He is a tinker that specializes in Underwater vehicles. His specialty is a support field if we only look at it on the cover, but it does not say that Sharko cannot make tinker armor with that specialty.

Sharko made a 'vehicle' in the form of armor for himself. This armor makes him a Brute 3 that can take heavy damage before the armor breaks, and also Mover 2 that makes him move at the speed of your average car.

Not only the tinker, but Deluge also knows how dangerous Bolt is, and there is a reason why he is called a bolt. Officially, he is a mover, but the MRT did not realize that Bolt is a high-rank breaker.

The name of Bolt comes from the breaker power that lets him change into lightning. When he is in this state, Bolt can run at the speed of lightning, not light but lightning. While it cannot be compared to a speed of light, Bolt still can run from London to Bristol in a matter of a second.

Sadly Bolt can only use this state every year and only for only fifteen seconds. He used this state's last time when Bolt tries to rob a villain organization but gets himself surrounded. He did not have any choice but to shift into this breaker state and kill all of the witnesses.

The only reason why the Banker knew about this is that Bolt forgot to destroy one of the hidden cameras.

"High-rank Brute, High-rank Mover and lastly a Tinker. That is a dangerous combo. There is also a problem with Behemoth's new daughter named Jacklyn Johnson, who has unknown power. The more I think about it, the more I know that it was the right decision to make a friendly relationship with this group."

However, Deluge and co did not know that Behemoth has a hidden trump card that is even scarier. Panacea power is terrifying.

3