Prologue (2)
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was four days after the speech given by the leader of the Garden of Irises. Midnight had just arrived, donning her starry coat. It was almost spring so cloudless night skies like this one was a rare occurrence. On a rocky hill, some whispers can be heard coming from the inside of a cave.

Inside the cramped cave stood four hooded and masked figures, revealing only their eyes. The cave was dimly lit by several torches but it was still too dark for their eyes to be visible. The four ominous figures surrounded a smooth rock, on which was a damped paper map.

As the light from the torch flickered, the right figure shivered and complained, “How can it be this cold even inside a cave? I’m trembling!” It was a man’s voice. He further exaggerated his shivering and said, “See? I told you I’m trembling!”

The top figure sneered at him and gave him a nasty look.

“Soon, you’ll wish it was colder!” The bottom figure responded. “Focus on the map!”

Suddenly, a small rock near the left figure cracked with a loud thud. Everyone else’s attention was drawn to the left figure. The three figures instantly realised that the left figure had just slammed her fist onto the rock and cracked it. It was a feat not even an experienced martial artist can accomplish easily. Inwardly, they were all impressed by her skills.

“What more is there to wait? The longer we stay here, the longer that filthy scum stays alive!” A woman’s voice echoed in the cave.

The top figure looked at her and gave an approving nod.

The left figure continued, “That traitor… He betrayed us! He betrayed all Eustacians! I… I…”

The top figure interrupted, “I know, I know. By morning, everything will have ended. Wait for just a bit more.” He then looked at the bottom figure and calmy said, “Please continue.”

The bottom figure thanked him and announced, “There is drastic change in the number and position of guards. Perhaps there’s an information leak. We’ll deal with that in time.” He then pointed to a few locations on the map.

“These will be our new breakthrough chokepoints,” he gave the left figure a brief glance and continued, “and I’ll add more personnel to your team from mine.”

Unable to contain her rage, the left figure exclaimed, “We’ll give all’em grey rats hell! For Eustacia!”

Normally, the top figure would give her a piercing look for being so loud but this time, her passion resonated strongly within him, so much so he did not notice that he was bobbing his head to her words.

“Well said. Except for these changes, everything shall proceed as planned. I hereby conclude the emergency meeting. To your destinated locations!” announced the bottom figure.

*

The four figures disbanded and swiftly reached their assigned locations, assassinating any guards who came in their way. Not a minute later, some smoke can be seen coming from the west.

“Library’s on fire! Quick! Hurry and put it out!” Someone screamed.

“What do you think I’m doing, idiot? Argh… Damn it! It’s getting bigger! Get all the people on duty here. And hurry!” Another voice responded.

Suddenly, a swarm of people poured into the Amber Manor through the southwest entrance. Dozens of guards near that entrance were killed before they could even react.

As chaos quickly ensued, a hooded figure who was hiding behind a tree muttered to himself, “That’s my cue.”

Masking his sprinting sounds with the clattering noise from weapons clashing against each other, he dashed towards the east wall of the Amber Manor. The wall was over two meters tall, but he leaped over it effortlessly.

He landed on the grass ground silently and tumbled forward. Immediately, he covered the nearby guard’s mouth with his left palm, and simultaneously slit the guard’s throat with a sword on his right. This entire process took no more than a second.

Before the falling body of that guard had even reached the ground, he hopped onto the second floor of a big mansion and entered by breaking through the window. The screams and taunts from the west meant not a single soul paid heed to the breaking of the window.

It was dark as a veil inside the mansion, but the hooded figure ran at full speed in the hallway, turning corners when needed. After passing by some doors, he suddenly stopped in place and closed his eyes. He took a deep breath and held it for a few seconds before opening his eyes and exhaling. He repeated this process once more before muttering to himself, “You are ready for this.”

“Bang”! He slammed open the door to his right. Raising his foot, he crossed over the threshold.

0