Book 2: Chapter 8
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A server had come over and asked the two cloaked figures what they wanted to eat. After ordering, the man gave a strong nod to his companion.

“My name is Sabez Sa-Alum. There are many more parts to my name, but I can leave those out until another time.”

He and his companion reached under their headwraps and removed their masks. Like Jon had noticed before, Sabez’s face was a light brown tone. However, what stunned Jon was how young his face looked. The entire time he talked, the man had given Jon such a commanding tone. Maybe he was the same age as one of Jon’s older brothers.

When Sabez’s companion removed their face, Jon could now see that she was female. Unlike Sabez she had a fair complexion and red hair that Jon could now see clearly under the headdress.

“So, you’re acquainted with my compatriot's older sister,” Mallory said. ‘How did that happen?”

“My people have a vested interest in the current link of political and social movements that’s been happening in this part of the land…” Sabez responded. “Well… the part of the part where you’re from.”

“And who are your people?” Mercy asked. Jon could hear the acussatory nature of her question.

“Well… beyond the obvious fact that they are of the Vindazi… I cannot tell you anymore,” Sabez answered simply.

“Fair enough,” Mallory answered. “But why are you guys here?”

“Why are you so nosy?” The red-haired girl asked. Her arms had been crossed.

“Tallow, please, be kind to our companions,” Sabez told her. “We’ll be working with them for the remainder of the mission.”

“We are? Whatever.” She didn’t add anything afterward.

“...Tallow is my apprentice. Please forgive her insolence.” Sabez said. “In fact, we are often used to working alone, just me and her. So to be working in a larger group is a bit unnerving for her.”

“I think you mean, I don’t want to be some escort to some prancing princess.” Tallow said, glaring at Mercy.

“I’m not a princess,” Mercy said.

Right,” Despite Mercy’s insistence, Jon didn’t think Tallow believed her.

“You guys are here to see Mercy home?” Mallory asked.

Sabez nodded. ‘Yes. It is of interest to the Vindazi people that we return her dignitary to her home.”

“So we’re allies, then,’ Mallory summed up. “Why did you sneak up on us?”

“We were doing a customary reconnaissance,” Sabez answered. “Tallow had spotted you, and wanted to make sure it was clear of present danger before she revealed herself.”

“But that guy… he just kept… staring…”

It took Jon a moment before Jon realized that Tallow was now glaring at him.

“I’m sure he was simply curious about your intentions,” Sabez said. “Would you have not done the same?”

“Curious… or creepy…” Tallow suggested.

“He’s not creepy-”

“Aren’t you ever tired of being wrong?” Tallow said curtly to Mercy.

With that, she turned back to Jon, who could feel her disapproving glare. He felt ashamed, and couldn’t look her in the eye anymore.

“Would you like to introduce us to your… farmer friend?” Sabez asked.

Jon realized Sabez was talking about him.

“This is Jon,” Mallory said. “He’s a farmer.”

“...Hi…” Jon felt nervous speaking to Sabez. His presence was much more intimidating than Jon had ever felt.

When it came to meeting Hector, Jon was afraid to look him in the eye. With Sabez, however, there was a demand for eye contact. His presence was calming, and it was like he was the only thing in the room Jon could focus on.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Jon.”

“Why is a farmer here?” Tallow asked, though she really didn’t seem interested in knowing the answer.

“Jon helped save his village,” Mercy explained. “And he decided to put aside his life so that he could come and help bring me home.”

“Bugger, I would have stuck with the farm,” Tallow said.

Just then, the food had been brought for everyone.

Jon was excited. Today had been a long day, and he was ready to eat.

“Bullshit!” The sound echoed through the tavern, making everyone but Sabez look up from the table.

Hector stepped out from the back of the tavern.

“I’m not being spied on by some people just tagging along just-”

“Hey, man!” A guy stood up to confront Hector, who simply grabbed his shoulder and forced them back into the seat.

“-because my sister said it was…” Hector suddenly broke down into a defensive position and put his hand over his handle.

Jon didn’t know why. When he turned to Mercy for an answer, he saw that she had her hand on the handle of her sword as well. She was paying attention to a tall figure behind Sabez and Tallow.

It was another Vindazi man. He was larger in just about every way compared to Sabez, but the presence coming from this new man was making Jon tremble.

“It is a wonderful surprise to expect a visit from you, my brother,” Sabez said, though he didn’t sound very excited. “Do you wish to join us for our meal?”

“...Are you with the girl?” The new Vindazi man asked.

“..I am. She is under my protection,” Sabez answered.

“I am not under-”

Mercy didn’t say much before Mallory silently hushed her by putting his hand over her mouth.

“...The girl needs to come with us.” The man responded.

“...That can’t happen. She needs to come with me.”

Sabez was assured in his tone.

The man looked down with wistfulness in his eyes.

“Then we must fight-”

“Then we must,” Sabez said simply.

Tallow looked between both of the Vindazi men. Jon saw a pained look on her face.

“This isn’t right!” Tallow said. “We shouldn’t be fighting.”

“And yet we are.” No matter what Sabez said, he kept the same cool tone he always had. Jon didn’t know if he should have been scared, but Sabez was making it easy not to be.

“...I will give you 2 minutes to bring the girl outside, my brother, then we will come in here to retrieve her.”

“You can try,” Sabez answered.

With that, the big man left the table.

“Hey, you come back here!” Hector yelled, pointing at the man.

Mallory quickly stood up and stopped Hector from going any farther.

“Hector, let’s listen to the man…” Mallory said.

“You brought your fellow clansmen into this!” Hector yelled, pointing at Sabez. “It was all fine until you ended up coming here and bringing your-”

What?” Tallow stood up. “Are you gonna start swinging around your stupid caveman sensibilities and expect me to listen to it?”

“It doesn’t involve any of you!” Mercy had stood up as well. “This isn’t about you. It’s about me!

“And that’s the problem!” Hector yelled. “It’s all about you! You’re the problem!”

“You think you aren’t involved in any of this!” Tallow yelled at him. “It wasn’t until I met you did I have to start fighting other Vindazi!”

“What? Me?” Hector seemed appalled by the accusation. “You-”

“Children!” Everyone seized up at the sound of Sabez’s voice.

“This is not the time to squabble. This is the time to fight. Get your weapons ready.”

“Did he just call me-”

“Hector, less talking, more sword swinging!” Mallory interrupted. “Isn’t that your thing, anyway.”

“We’ll talk about this later,” Hector mumbled, drawing his sword.

“If you’re so important,” Mallory said. “Why can’t you just tell him who you are”

“This reeks of foul play,” Sabez answered. “I can’t make my presence known-”

“Until you get to the bottom of it.” Mercy’s tone had returned to normal. “Okay.”

What? You’re okay with this?” Hector asked. “Bargaining your life?”

“Since when were you worried about me?” Mercy asked.

“I’m not! I mean, I am, but-”

“Weapons,” Sabez said again. He stood up. “Are you ready?”

...Yeah. We can talk about this after.” Hector drew his sword.

Mercy had already equipped her small tool. “Ready.”

“Tallow?” Sabez looked at his apprentice for an answer.

“...Ready…” she said, clearly disappointed.

“I’m not ready to die tonight,” Mallory added.

“...And you, Jon. Are you ready?” Sabez asked him.

Jon nodded. He had just finished eating his sandwich. He was ready.

 

0