Book 2: Chapter 11
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tallow led Jon through a series of stretches, before eventually getting him to hold up his hands in front of his face.

“You’ve done a bit of sparring, haven’t you?” Tallow asked.

Jon shook his head.

“Really? And you just left your village like that?”

Jon nodded with a grimace.

“Oh well then. I suppose-”

“What are you doing?” Hector was standing at the door. With his arms crossed as always. Sabez was standing behind him.

“Jon doesn’t use his hands to fight,” Hector added. “He uses a gun.”

“It’s good to see you performing well after last night,” Sabez said, as Tallow put her hands down and rolled her eyes.”

“Yeah, well, you still owe me,” Tallow said. “This whole situation sucks.”

“Well…” Sabez started, “I suppose that this could be a whole lesson in-”

“No!” Tallow crossed her arms and turned away.

“...Sorry…” Sabez said.

“I’ll take that for now,” Tallow responded.

Sabez sighed. “May you join us outside? If you are well enough.”

“Come on, Jon,” Tallow said, patting Jon on the back before leaving the room.

“You act like I have a choice,” she said to Sabez as she walked out of the room.

“...Why does she talk so much?” Hector asked as he watched them leave.

“To make up for my lack of verbal insight…" Sabez explained, "she often fills the space with her own…”

“Well, for whatever reason it feels like both of you haven’t been able to stop talking since you’ve got here.”

With that, Hector also followed after.

Sabez sighed again.

Outside, the other Vindazi had organized around several tables they had pushed together.

Mallory was sitting at one of these tables, having a conversation with several of them.

“So like, I have to ask about the robes,” Mallory said, “‘cause I’ve been trying to get the academy to adapt them so that I don’t have to walk in these rags all day, but like, they say that the cloth and spells only exist in your region, but like, I think they’re just too lazy to do so.”

“Mallory.” He turned and saw the others enter the room.

“You’re alive!” Mallory said.

“You’re still talking…” Tallow said. “Did you even go to sleep? I was afraid that your voice was going to be the last thing I ever heard…”

Sabez approached the large man, who was supported by the others. Unlike Tallow, Jon noticed that he still seemed to be leaning over from the pain.

“I’m glad you’ve recovered, sister,” the large man said to Tallow.

She put her hands on her hips and gave him an angry glare.

“Tallow is not as forgiving as many of our other brothers and sisters,” Sabez said. “But that is not to worry. Have my preparations been made?”

The man nodded. “Of course. You are prepared for the journey.”

“And you will report back to me when everything is done.”

The man nodded. “Of course.”

“Good. then we have no reason to stay here. Correct?”

It took Hector a while before he realized Sabez was waiting for him to answer.

“...Sure,” Hector said. He motioned to the door. “Let’s go.”

Outside, Mercy was leaning on the outer wall of the inn.

She stood up when Jon came out, but once Tallow exited after him, she went back to her position on the wall.

“...Hi, Jon,” she said.

Jon waved cheerily.

Tallow looked down at Mercy’s waist and saw the sword.

“That’s one of ours,” Tallow said. “How’s you get that?”

“I won it in a duel,” Mercy said. “That’s a part of your customs, right?”

“Yeah, but for someone to wager that, you would have to wager something of worth in return, right?”

Mercy grimaced. “Yeah, and?

After Tallow didn’t answer, Mercy turned red again. Jon could have sworn she was trembling.

“I won it... fair,” Mercy said finally. “Deal with it.”

“If you say so.” Tallow didn’t seem to care anymore. “Where’s our ride?”

“That.” Mallory pointed to Dan’s wagon.

“...That hunk of junk?”

“Our mission is best served under clandestine operations,” Sabez said, climbing up into the front of the wagon.

Tallow stepped up to the other side to go in, but Hector stepped in front of her with his hand up.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Hector said. “That’s my seat.”

“...So where am I sitting?” she asked.

He pointed to the back of the wagon.

“Guess it's fair you're the one sitting closes to the horse's ass." She then looked to Sabez, ignoring Hector's angry look.

“...Please, Tallow,” he said. “We are in company. It will be fine.”

Tallow shook her head in disbelief and climbed in the back.

“Do I have to sit with her?” Mercy asked.

“Not my problem,” Hector said. He climbed into the front as well.

Mercy, Jon, and Mallory also climbed in the back.

The large Vidazi man and several others stood outside of the inn.

“Be strong, my brother,” the man said. “Good luck on your quest. Be wary.”

Sabez nodded. “You too. We’ll meet back soon.”

With that, Hector flicked the reins, and the carriage set off away from the inn.

Jon, sitting closest towards the front end of the wagon, listened in on Hector’s and Sabez’s conversation.

“I’m just saying,” Hector said. “I know you mentioned clandestine operations and whatnot, but wouldn’t it make sense to have the entire group of Vindazi come with us? Then it wouldn’t matter who would see us, be damned we be found.”

“This mission would be best concluded if there isn’t any knowledge of how far along we are in succeeding it,” Sabez said. “In the interest of all parties involved. Also, a mass of Vindazi escorting a caravan would raise questions regardless of affinity with the beholder.”

“Yeah, but then a farmer, a ninja, a wizard, a mercenary, and a couple of Vindazi walk into a tavern,” Hector said, “that’s bound to raise some questions by itself, wouldn’t it?”

“True…” Sabez admitted. “But I still don’t know too much of the situation with command, so I wish to keep these things separated, for all of our safety.”

“So you trust them enough to give them a job, but not enough to bring them along… that’s fair enough. But what if they don’t do the job correctly?”

“Then I will take care of it myself,” Sabez answered.

“Okay… show off…” Hector muttered the last part under his breath, but Jon heard it.

Jon was then distracted by a hand on his knee.

He turned around. It was Mallory.

“Alright, we’re talking about our favorite dessert,” Mallory said. “You have anything to suggest?”

Jon couldn’t think of an answer. He liked all food pretty equally, except for lavabread. He didn’t know if that was dessert.

He looked at Mercy and Tallow to see if they had any input. Instead, they both glared at each other while leaning back into their seats.

“Come on, man, you gotta help me,” Mallory whispered. “One of them’s gonna throw the other one off of the wagon pretty soon.”

“...Pudding…” Jon didn’t think it was his favorite, but he wondered if the others would like it.

Mallory didn’t seem to hear him. He was still whispering to Jon.

“I know that having them sit across from each other seemed like it might have been the better option, but if we have them sit next to each other then they won’t be able to look at each other without straining, and-’

“Mallory! He said pudding,” Mercy said.

“Ah… yes… he did…” Mallory slunk back to his seat next to Tallow.

“Do you… like pudding, Tallow?” he asked.

“I dunno,” Tallow said, not breaking eye contact with Mercy. “Does she like it?”

Answer the question,” Mercy said. “Do you like pudding?

“Depends. Eating, yes. In a fight, watching my back, probably not.”

Mercy stood straight up in her seat despite the moving wagon. “Why don’t I make an example out of you!”

Tallow stood up as well. “Alright, then. Show me what a piece of pudding fights like.”

Jon was amazed that the two girls could stand so perfectly on the sides of the wagon and not be bothered. His heart was anticipating a fight, but he also kind of wanted them to get along. He wondered if this was how they would do it.

“Hector! There’s a fight about to go on!” Mallory said.

Hector turned around and observed the two girls standing. Jon expected Hector to yell at them.

Instead, he simply turned back around.

“Just don’t break the carriage, it’s not my problem…” he muttered.

“Dude! Aren’t you supposed to be like, the leader,” Mallory said the last words with a mocking tone. Jon might have laughed if he wasn’t afraid of the fight that seemed like it would break out.

“A leader would do well in being able to calm down dissension among his unit,” Sabez suggested.

Hector sighed, then turned back around.

“You guys would do well to save your energy, in case we get into another fight,” he said.

“...You made a good point for once,” Mercy said.

“I always make good points.” Hector turned away.

“Besides, if you guys mess things up, I’ll have to come back there and take care of you myself.”

“Hector!!!” Mallory was repeatedly patting Hector’s back to get his attention again.

“What, I….” Hector finally noticed the looks he was receiving from both women.

“I mean, uh, think about how Jon would feel!” He brought his attention back to the horses.

After some silence, the girls both sat down in their respective seats.

“...Good effort,” Sabez said to Hector.

The rest of the wagon ride was quiet from thereon in. Jon was at least glad other people considered what he thought.

Eventually, the carriage stopped.

Jon looked to the front. Once again, he was amazed by what he saw.\

The ground was light brown. It seeped seamlessly into the ocean, which extended endlessly into the horizon.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” Mercy said, close to Jon.

“Meh, it’s alright,” Tallow commented, ignoring Mercy’s glare afterward.

The carriage started to move again, this time very slowly. It turned and started going up alongside the beach.

Sabez turned to the rest of the group. “We’re making a quick stop at the embassy nearby. We can get going as soon as I finish here.”

“...I guess it’s up to Hector,” Mallory said. “He’s the one leading the way most of the time.”

“Well, right now I just need the directions to make it to the embassy,” Hector said. He was obviously very grumpy.

“...Yes, of course…” Sabez said. “Just simply-”

“Is that all you ever do is complain?” Tallow asked.

“...I’m trying not to lose my cool…” That’s all that Hector said.

“About 40 paces this way,” Sabez said.

“Alright.” The carriage continued slowly.

Jon could now see the small clay houses that sat alongside the land. They were dark brown, and none of them seemed to be taller than a single story.

“Here…” Sabez pointed to a building that was different from the others. It was a square, Unlike the other buildings which were part misshapen in some way, the walls were completely smooth.

“Here we are,” Sabez said. “Feel free to stay in the carriage or…”

He stopped speaking.

“.What’s wrong?” Hector asked a long silence.

“Sabez, what is it?” Tallow asked after even more silence. She sounded concerned and free of her usual mocking tone.

“Wait here,” Sabez said. He began to climb out of the carriage. "Something may have been afoot."

“If it’s something dangerous…” Hector drew his sword. “Then we should stay by your side.”

Hector then noticed that this gave him several curious glances from the others.

“...We should stay together. That’s obvious. Especially if we don’t notice anything.”

“But shouldn’t we have a lookout?” Tallow asked.

“...Strength and numbers. Nobody gets left behind anymore.” Hector pulled his sword out and leaped out of the carriage. He turned to the others.

“..What?” He asked.

“...Nothing, Hector. Just…” Mallory stepped out of the wagon. The others followed behind him.

Sabez led the party slowly into the building. Inside, there were two clear sections to the building. A large section in front, and a smaller section in the back, which had a table and a chair behind it.

“...Slowly…” Sabez said. He took soft steps.

“I can go ahead…” Mercy whispered. She moved rapidly across the floor in front of the others.

There were a ton of gasps, but Mercy’s feet made no sound at all as she glided to the other room.

“She is a ninja,” Mallory whispered.

She moved into the other room, seemingly disappearing into the darkness.

They stayed still as long as they could.

“...This was a bad idea…” Hector said.

“Cause it’s not yours?” Mallory asked back.

“Of course,” Hector said. “But what I mean is-”

“It’s clear.” Mercy stepped out of the room normally, making everyone shake in fear.

“Clear?” Sabe asked.

She was frowning. “Not… empty…”

“Ah…” Sabez quickly walked into the room. He looked down into the corner behind the table for a while.

“Sabez…” Both Tallow and Hector stepped up forward to check the room, but Sabez held his hand up.

“It’s best… you don’t see what’s come of my brother…”

“...I’ve seen a dead body before,” Hector said.

You have, but... “ With that, Hector took a glance at Jon and Mallory, who both gave a thin grimace.

Sabez was right. Jon had never seen a dead body, and judging by the looks the others had, it made sense that he shouldn’t be nosy about something like this.

Besides, he could already see the grim look on everyone’s faces. There was enough bad emotion to go around, and he didn’t need to add any more.

“I… apologize again,” Sabez said, “but… I think I will need to make more time here… for the burial.”

0