Book 3: Chapter 5
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

While he closed the door behind him, Jon noticed two unarmored guards standing on either side of the door outside of the room.

They looked on in surprise.

“...Did you just come out of the princess’s room this time of night?” the first guard asked.

“...Does it matter?” the second guard asked.

The first guard gave him an angry look.

“What if he was doing something improper?” He asked.

“The door was open.” The second guard said. “If there was anything funny happening, we would have heard it, and the door wouldn't have been open!”

“Yeah, well… okay…” The first guard stood up straight. “Fine. He shall go.”

Jon realized he didn’t know where to go.

He then heard a whisper. He turned and saw Mallory waving to him from the staircase. He was further down the steps, so only his hand was waiving.

Jon walked into the corridor and started down the steps, meeting Mallory.

“Took me forever to get rid of Lester,” Mallory said. “Sorry about that. Did you tell Hector?”

Jon nodded.

“And?”

Jon shook his head.

“...Oh… I understand. I mean,” Mallory took a deep breath. “I suppose that’s not something you should wish for, right? I’m okay with things not working out.”

He sighed. “Come on. The girls are waiting for us outside.”

True to what Mallory said, Tallow and Mercy were on a grassy hill, skipping rocks over a small lake.

“Cowards.” Mercy said as she tossed a rock hard onto the water. It skipped three times before jettisoning itself into the water.

“Calm down, will ya?” Tallow responded. She threw a rock, which skipped several times before sinking. “Or don’t. Just don’t yell about it in my ear.”

“Cowards…” Mercy whispered, still loud enough for everyone to hear. She threw the next rock. It skipped on for what seemed like an eternity. Jon couldn’t see the rock anymore before it sunk.

“I’m sure you know he’s under a lot of stress,” Mallory said. “I can understand if-”

“Coward!” She kicked a larger rock near her, and it flew high over the lake until it finally splashed down upon landing.

“Hun, I don’t know what you think Hector is,” Tallow said. “He’s a slave to the system. A lackey. A good boy.”

“Aren’t you worried about him?” Mercy asked.

“Well, yeah,” Tallow responded, “but I’m not in love with him.”

Mercy swiftly turned to Tallow, who was still preparing her next rock, and unhooked her small black tool.

“Oh, you’re so dramatic,” Tallow said. She ignored Mercy’s threatening stance and threw her rock.

“I don’t think it’s that Mercy’s in love with him,” Mallory said. “It’s that she sees herself in Hector. If he can’t do anything about his situation, then…”

He got a sad look from Mercy.

“Things aren’t quite looking up.” Mallory shrugged.

“I didn’t say it was a bad thing,” Tallow continued, shifting through her other palm for her next projectile. “Sabez is a government worker as well. Everything he does is for the good of their country and their sake, and he doesn’t whine about it.”

“Sabez still has a lot of agency and freedom,” Mercy responded. She put her tool back on her hip, and her shoulders relaxed. She knelt down to look for some more rocks to throw.

Tallow walked up to Jon and gave Jon a rock.

Jon took it. He moved close to the lake and mimed her movements, getting ready to throw the rock.

“That took a while for Jon to earn,” Tallow said. “He proved himself to be exceptional.”

“Hector doesn’t have anyone to listen to,” Mercy answered.

“Actually,” Mallory interjected, Hector wouldn’t be completely king. He’d just be a lord watching over the castle. He would still have to listen to the current king and whatever advisors were at his side, including the father For the most part.”

“Aren’t you an advisor?” Tallow asked him.

“Even if I was, I would lack in seniority compared to the others… or Luther would stomp me into the dust anyway…”

“You were willing to be stomped in the dust now,” Mercy said. “Are you still scared?”

“...I’d be happy to be stomped into the dust for Hector’s sake, but it wouldn’t change anything.”

“Politics are stupid,” Tallow said. “Stupid rules for stupid people.”

“It also makes sure that we all don’t kill each other in massive conflict,” Mallory added with a shrug. “Among other important things.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, it’s stupid to be involved!” Tallow threw the rock over her shoulder. It flew out over the lake.``

“Yeah,” Mallory grimaced. “It is.”

Jon tossed his rock. It skipped once and sank.

He smiled. It was a good effort.

“Here!” Both girls went up to Jon to show him how to throw the rock.

They stopped when they were in view of each other.

“I can do it,” Mercy said.

“...Whatever,” Tallow backed up with her hands out in surrender. “You can do it.”

Mercy’s eyes widened with realization.

“Oh… I…” she looked away with shame. “I am a monster, aren’t I?”

“What? Hey, I make the insults around here.” Mercy ignored Tallow and walked back up the hill towards the castle, away from the group.

“I could have done it…” Mallory said slowly, watching her walk away.

“So, are we going tomorrow?” Tallow asked. “Like, what’s the situation?”

“I think Hector will be able to finish the mission. The marriage still won’t happen for a couple of weeks,” Mallory explained. “We should get some rest.”

“You mean dinner.” Tallow responded. “We still haven’t eaten dinner.

“...I can take care of that,” Mallory said. “Let’s take care of that.”

The three of them followed after Mercy.

After catching up with her and convincing her to stay with the group, Mallory led them to the barracks.

“A lot of the guards have overnight shifts,” Mallory explained as they walked. “That means that there’s always enough food for people to eat even if it’s late.”

Mallory opened the door to the barracks. At one of the tables, Hector could be seen eating his food wildly with his hands.

He made no mention of them as they approached his table.

“Eating like a King?” Mallory asked.

Hector put the leg of whatever cooked animal he was eating down. “Shut up, Mallory.” He went back to eating.

“You’re right. Poor choice of words.”

“So, you heard about the plan?” Mercy asked as Jon took the seat next to Mallory.

“I did,” Hector responded. “What about it?”

“Are you down for it?” Mercy asked.

“...Maybe,” Hector put the leg down again. “It would be a hell of a lot, for you-”

“I know, it would be alright,” Mercy said. She sat opposite of him.

“I mean…” Hector took another bite of his leg and talked with his mouth full. “It would be a lot to do for me-”

“I’m doing it for me!” Mercy nearly yelled. Since the barracks were nearly empty, the only thing that was louder was Hector’s smacking of his food in his mouth.

“...You’re right. This would be a giant middle finger to your folks too, wouldn’t it?” Hector said. “That’s dangerous.”

“It’s all dangerous,” Mallory said.

“No, I mean, especially…” Hector wiped his mouth. “Not just our families, but any political enemies that would be involved.”

“We’d worry about that anyway,” Mercy said. “I’m willing to fight for my freedom.”

“But then there’s also Jon-

Mercy stood up. “I.. got Jon.”

“I have him,” Hector responded.

“We all… got Jon,” Mallory said softly, holding his hands out to suggest their solidarity.

“...Jon, and Mallory, and Tallow.” Hector looked down to his plate. “If anything happened to any of you guys, I would-”

“We can all protect ourselves,” Tallow said. “Besides, something, yadda-yadda, I would rather die fighting than being bored to death. We have your back. What is there not to understand?”

“...Okay…” Hector took a breath. “We… will consider it. In the morning.”

“You’re right. Shouldn’t make these decisions on an empty stomach.”

As if on queue, another plate of food was placed in front of Jon by a woman with a headscarf.

“Didn’t know you ordered food for us!” Mallory said.

“No, are you kidding? That’s for me.” Hector pushed the first plate over and began on the second plate.

Soon enough, everyone was eating. The late dinner was pretty quiet, as nobody had bothered to leave their plate alone enough to start talking.

Still, Jon felt a good sense of camaraderie. This was the first time they had eaten properly as a group since they had first met Sabez and Tallow, and even then, they were interrupted by the other Vindazi men.

Tallow was the last to finish her food.

“So, what now?” she asked. “We sleep?”

“Yeah... “ Hector looked down at the table, “...and we wait.”

Mallory stood up and patted Hector on the shoulder. “Come on, man. Let’s go.”

“...I want to stay here,” Hector said. “You guys can go on ahead.”

Mallory nodded. “I gotcha, man.”

Both Mercy and Tallow whispered “Good nights,” to him as they all left Hector to his plate.

They went back to the room where Hector had destroyed the beds and they all found a place to go to sleep.

When Jon woke up the next day, he was the only one in the room.

On the bed next to him, he saw a pair of overalls and shirts left for him, probably pulled from the bag his mother packed.

Once he changed, he made his way back to the barracks, having memorized the path from having gone there and back so many times.

Once he opened the barracks door, the same rush of noise came out towards him. It wasn’t as hectic as when he first arrived, but there was still enough bustle to occupy the general soundscape.

Unarmored knights, and even some without the uniform, were sitting at the tables, talking and enjoying their food.

Sure enough, Mercy was in one of the sparring circles in the other end of the room. This time, she was by herself, hopping side to side as she was tossing out quick punches to an invisible opponent.

“Hey, Jon!” she said without stopping as he approached. “How are you today?”

“Good,” Jon said.

After a couple of more punches, she stopped and wiped her head with a small cloth that was held on her right shoulder. “Wanna see the others?”

The two of them walked out of the barracks to see Tallow jogging around the field outside.

Mallory was sitting underneath a tree, with a book open in his lap. He waived.

Tallow jogged up to him, meeting Jon and Mercy as well.

“Should we get him now?” Mercy asked.

“Sure.” Mallory closed his book and stood up. “He’s with Amalia now, at the front of the castle. They’re gonna meet the King.”

“Then we should do it soon,” Mercy said.

“I don’t know how she’s gonna feel about it,” Mallory added.

“It’s not her choice.” Mercy crossed her arms. “She can’t hold Hector to something like that. Even if they are friends.”

“Yeah, but she might not see it that way,” Mallory respond. “Still…”

He led the group towards the castle entrance. Sure enough, Hector and Amalia were standing with each other.

As they got closer, Jon realized that they were arguing again. His stomach began to get butterflies. He wondered if it was about the marriage again.

He didn’t know whether to be relieved or not when he learned that it wasn’t.

“I can’t believe you!” Hector said. “That’s why he’s here? I knew something was up!”

“It’s not like you’re doing something about it!” Amalia said.

“What did my sister say?”

Your sister asked him to take care of it!”

“Hey, hey, hey!” Mallory approached them with his hands up. “What’s the problem?”

“Lester’s trying to recruit Amalia for a King’s Guard operation. Out of her given range.”

“It’s a pitiful range!” Amalia yelled back at Hector. “And besides, I’ve been going out of range anyway! Lester’s been taking me.”

“Why would you ask him to do that?” Hector said. “You know he can’t say no!”

“He can say no, Hector, ‘cause he’s not a pussy like you!”

The words seemed to hit Hector somewhere vulnerable. His face changed.

Jon wondered if he was going to yell again. Instead, he took a breath.

You… are doing something shelfish-”

“But I get to help people!” Amalia said. “Or is that a privilege you would like to keep to yourself?”

“It’s not a privilege!”

“Should we come back later?” Tallow asked the group quietly.

Her eyes caught something approaching. “Oh, too late.”

“Hector!” King Harris strolled up to the group with his usual entourage. “You’re here! With my daughter! You guys are looking like a couple already!”

Amala took one look at Harris, screamed loudly at Hector, and pushed him in the chest as she walked off.

“Why… would you say that, sir?” Hector asked unconvincingly.

“The King… hasn’t…” Tallow didn’t finish her question as Mallory was already shaking his head side to side. Jon saw that he looked incredibly scared.

“Because I have some exciting news!” Harris said. “I was talking with your father yesterday, and-”

“Actually!” Hector said, with his finger up. “I have some exciting news too…”

Harris looked confused. “Oh, really?”

“Yes… I…”

“Well, this is most certainly more important,” Harris began.

“I…”

“And you must let your King speak first!” Harris added.

Hector kept his mouth shut with a grunt.

“Like I was saying, me and your father announced that we would like to set the date for you and Amalia’s binding in matrimony! You’ll be getting married to my daughter! Ain’t that exciting. You’ve known her since kids. And from what I hear, you actually like each other.”

“Uh… actually….” Hector took a breath. He was shaking, but not out of anger.

In trepidation.

Actually?” The king looked concerned by the words.

“I can’!” Hector said quickly. “I can’t! I’m sorry, but I cant’!”

He quickly knelt down to the king. “I’m sorry!”

“...What do you mean, you can’t?” The king asked.

Hector stood back up to speak, but then he knelt back down again.

Mallory tried to stop Mercy, but she already started to approach the two of them.

“What he means is,” Mercy said, “is that he can’t get married.”

Harris looked troubled, but he tried to keep his ground. “But… how can you…”

“Because he’s already getting married to me,” she finished.

There was a gasp from the entourage of guards, as well as a small “ohhh…..”

Mercy made eye contact with Hector.

His face slowly calmed, and he stood up straight.

“Is this true, Hector?” Harris asked, worried.

“It’s true, King Harris,” Hector said. “Mercy Shark-killer Highlander of the Highlanders…”

He reached over and grabbed on to Mercy’s hand, who returned his grasp.

“...is going to be my wife.”

“I… I… But… she… the Highlanders are a fierce clan,” Harris said, stuttering, “but for her to be recognized, she would have to be”

“A direct descendant of one of the highest level of dignitaries with the Highlander clan name?” Mercy asked. “Well, if you would be talking about the War Minister, then yes, I am his daughter.

There were plenty more gasps from the guards, this time none of them hidden.

Hector backed away in shock. “The war minister?

“Holy, holy, holy, holy, holy, holy hell…” Mallory whispered under his breath. He pulled away at his collar, and Jon could see sweat forming rapidly on his brow.

“The… War Minister…” Harris took a few steps back in fear. “But why?” Hector… that’s foolish…”

Mercy looked at Hector, who understood and regained his composure. “It’s because I don’t care. I love her, your majesty. And I want to prove my love to her.”

Hector turned to Mercy and he held up both of her hands.

“But still… Hector… what will her father say?”

Harris then looked away. “What will your father say?”

“I… will worry about that…” Hector said. He had lost the surge of confidence he had just a moment ago.”

“But Hector… this was years of planning. I don’t know if we can let this happen. Especially with the daughter of the war minister, I-”

“Then I should have been involved in that. Me and Amalia-”

“Wait!!!” Mallory ran in between the two parties. “I can explain.”

“Mallory…” Harris frowned. “I don’t know if this is the time-”

“Luther- I mean, Hector’s dad and you are worried about having protection for the castle, right?” Mallory said. “Well, the War Minister just wants to know that his daughter’s safe. And as of now, he knows that, right?”

He turned to Mercy, who nodded. “Right.”

He turned back to Harris. “So, if you prove that you’re keeping his daughter safe, then he won’t have any reason to have been involved in anything. And you get the protection of the Highlanders for your castle.”

A light came to Harris’s eyes. “Oh. I mean, Amalia may be a little disappointed, but maybe… we could…”

He shook his head. “But they have no duty to us. And besides, the Highlanders. You can’t play with fire-”

“Uh, poor choice of words, he’s good at that,” Mallory quickly interjected.

“Uh, poor choice of timing for my part, too,” Mallory quickly said after receiving Harris’s glare. “Please, keep my head on?”

“Hector, this is a very serious decision. Understand-”

“I understand,” Hector said. “Weren’t you about to let me marry your daughter?”

Harris stopped, then sighed. “This… this will definitely require your father. This… this is beyond me..”

“But this is your castle,” Tallow said.

“What she means!” Mallory yelled, trying to hide Tallow’s voice with his own, “is that, if you host the wedding here, then you would be entitled to the protection of the Highlanders.”

“...Yeah, I suppose,” Harris said. “But-”

And Hector’s father,” Mallory added.

This seemed to strike a chord in Harris. He nodded slowly.

“Yeah… Yeah… Yeah…” He smiled. “We would be, for just one wedding, the most impenetrable force in the entire kingdom! And others would have to respect my authority!”

“And the Highlanders have no reason to take you out,” Mallory added. “It would make you look good on their part as well!”

“I… oh…” Harris wiped his brow. “More Highlanders. A castle full of Highlanders.”

A castle full of Mercy’s, Jon thought.

“I can talk about it more with you inside,” Mallory said. “It’s started moving steam anyway.”

Harris sighed. “You’re right, Mallory. Say, you’re really good at this.”

He patted Mallory on the back. “I thought the others were just grandstanding when they say you understood this stuff. I don’t even-”

He coughed. “What I mean to say is, there should be a guard around the Highlander at all times.”

I can be around her,” Hector said. “You don’t need me.”

“But Hector,” Harris started.

“Uh, Harris- I mean, King Harris, you probably wouldn’t want to hurt the Highlander, even accidentally. You’re better off waiting ‘til the wedding.”

“...Right again. Luther wasn’t joking when you said you’d be an asset. Well enough. Watch your women, Hector!”

Mercy had stepped up to the King as he turned away, but Hector quickly grabbed her wrist and gave her a look.

She gave a small grunt, ripped her wrist out of his hand, crossed her arms, and pouted.

Mallory walked away with the King and Hector. As they moved further and further away, Tallow and Jon approached the two.

“What the hell’s a War Minister?” Tallow asked.

“It’s… agh!” Hector shook his head and walked away. “I’m gonna die!”

Jon looked at Mercy, who gave him a sad look.

“It’s gonna be the long haul from here,” Mercy said.

Jon nodded. It was going to be a long haul from here. He was glad he brought his gun. For anxiety-reducing purposes, obviously.

 

0