Chapter 2 – Contact!
56 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Your Majesty has entered! Please calm down!" was commanded.

 

The voice of her majesty's assistant echoes off the tall, neon pillars and acrylic paintings that adorn the walls of the chambers, which depict significant events in the history of the nation. She is sitting in one of the numerous battle-themed paintings that run down the walls around her.

 

The fourth-generation regal queen of Alervon, Queen Savannah the IV, stands firmly in charge in an ottoman upholstered with a finely described pattern, draped in golden cloth, with seat padding made of wool and the softest materials. She observes a messenger delivering a message while seated on the royal throne among her royal nobles, the parliament, and high-ranking members of her military staff:

 

"According to incoming reports from the ARN Wunderle, they observed an unidentified flying object pass by their craft and that it was making an effort to contact us by light signals.

 

Even though she was a monarch and never served in the military, Queen Savannah was a powerful figure in her country's society. As she turned to look at the sole Head of the Navy, Lady Jeba Lee, who was looking back at her, she bowed and gently replied:

 

This messenger informed your Majesty that this flying object had somehow managed to broadcast back to one of our patrolling fleets. "We employ light signals when we communicate ship-to-ship, your Majesty.

 

Savannah was informed by the navy's commander that Jeba Lee was confused as to what this item was and why it would make initial contact with its vessels. Additionally, the explanations are omitted because this is the first time they have heard them. Knowing that this world has remained untouched since the first civilization made its first movements by dividing oceans and regions, Savannah should be wary and receptive to first contact while discussing the next logical answer.

 

When Queen Savannah noticed Rosemary Filler, the current captain of the first royal guard wyvern squadron, she and those who were next to her immediately bowed in respect. Rosemary Filler stood out among the crowd at 6'1", her golden hair shining more vibrant than the sun, the armour she wore adorned with metals, and the bravery that she was rewarded for and accompanied by her soldiers.

 

She asked in a direct voice, "Your Majesty, what services can we offer?"

 

"Rosemary, if we can make it land on your wyvern airstrips, have one of your wyverns intercept this flying object and attempt contact, and have this thing be taken to a current air base."

 

Although bringing it to the capital seemed absurd, hearing this was shocking, and other nearby aristocrats who didn't know what this monster was thought less favourably of the proposal.

Why would Savannah pick that plan?

 

some chitchat.

 

They all stood up and again bowed, even though Rosemary and the rest of her group were less inclined to do so because they believed it would take them to a crucial place that would endanger the entire country. "Those flying things might be from the first civilization! For the sake of our country, decline that order!" they exclaimed aloud.

 

As desired, Your Majesty. With one caveat, though: if the object chooses to project its hostile intention towards us, we may respond in self-defense.

 

"Request granted," Savannah replied. "In the event that this flying object has any ill-intent, take it and hand it over to the bureau of RAD."

They bowed once more as they departed the throne room. The audible wooden thud of the door slamming shut overshadowed the room's hushed murmurs of concern as the nobles and parliament became aware of their concerns about a flying object.

 

It appears that this is more than just a flying object, given the possibility that the royal guards are a secret to the parliament. The courier had allowed the crowd to disperse while he continued with a lecture on recent events, describing this peculiar thing to everyone before shifting the subject. But after making sure that everyone was focused on him, he was hazed right away. He quickly reported the issue after it was posted.

According to subsequent reports, we learned that Prince Gourmet aims to visit Sollan with his new fleet. "Your Majesty! Prince Gourmet recently commissioned four pre-dreadnoughts and plans to commission the pre-dreadnought vessel that was purchased from the Thurmifiman empire by tomorrow." 

 

She was extremely uneasy after learning about the Prince's government's intentions for his visit to her capital city. With the arrival of the news, the reaction in the throne room started to get louder. Hearing that they would arrive bloated with their just-constructed ships was alarming. The small group of people within believe that this is an example of gunboat diplomacy, assuming that Prince Gourmet will change his stance on international affairs and adopt aggressive imperialism. Everyone was anxious and somewhat concerned to learn this.

 

Like everyone besides Queen Savannah, the reaction from the messenger upon hearing the news was shocking and disbelieving. The sensation of imagining seeing the prince on this throne made Elizabeth apprehensive. Savannah gazed at her daughter,patting her back and whispering,

 

"It isn't something we should worry about. We can handle it, Elizabeth."

Whispering to her ears made it seem as if her being taken from the Alervon kingdom to live elsewhere as the bride of an arrogant prince wouldn't be possible, since everyone in the room shared her distaste for the policies of the Artesian Empire, which had become somewhat of a sticking point for the diplomatic views on Alervon foreign affairs. She sighed softly and glanced into her mother's clear eyes.

 

She murmured a low "Thank you." Their stunning eyes caught my gaze, but I quickly stopped. Savannah immediately turned to face the messenger, sensing that there was more to his statement that needed to be clarified.

She asked the messenger, "Anything more to spill?"

“This is what was received for the most recent reports, Your Majesty; there is nothing to speak about."

 

In summarising this short report, it would appear that the Artesian empire directly poses the greatest threat to the Alervon kingdom's internal affairs right now. Elizabeth's strategies against their potential imperialism are best served by concentrating their energies on their influence. Even though it seemed somewhat illogical merely from hearing it, they would soon recognise it as a problem and proceed to strengthen their union. The fourth civilization's nations signify a decreasing likelihood that her country would be invaded by the Artesian empire.

 

Several people soon left the royal room. Princess Elizabeth and Savannah felt at ease being alone in peace, acknowledging that even in these stressful times, there would be times when it would seem very quiet. With the discussion already resolved, it would now be important to see what fresh knowledge there is on this flying object to determine the next course of action to take, having her chief of staff along with the remaining Alervon nobles leave without question.

 

Elizabeth gazed at her mother, who was lying on her lap. Savannah brushes her hair softly as she hums over a beautiful rhythm with relaxing rays from the morning sunbeams over to the left side of the royal throne. Savannah chuckles:

 

"My Elizabeth, the longer I brush it, the more it seems to sparkle."

 

Her golden hair stood out beautifully on its own. Her hair appeared smoother the more she combed through it. Because it appeared that she would soon assume the throne and because her father had left everything to her mother to handle as her responsibility in a manner similar to her own, Elizabeth felt as though she was being appreciated by her mother as anyone would. The main question, however, was what role she would play.

 

"Mother, would it be possible for me to play the role of a foreign affairs diplomat as a princess?"

 

It was her. For Elizabeth, the thought of getting to know people from distant countries and sustaining ties with them was something novel. Savannah was unsure of the idea's wisdom when she pitched it to her. Even for her, it wouldn't be ideal for a princess to hold such a position because she would lose her status as the next in line for the throne. This is the main reason why foreign affairs positions are typically assigned to low-ranking nobles.

"Maybe."

 

She responded. Notwithstanding Savannah's adamant opposition, no one dared say anything outright that might offend her daughter. As they gazed over the left side of the room, brightened by the blazing sun, the bright blue ocean filled the empty horizon, the vast won't, and the buildings that surrounded the deeper sections of the municipality. Her smile could be seen, and she chuckled along. Waiting for the report from this flying object, they patiently wait for the next news of this item to arrive on the door. The industrialised factories on the other side are genuinely a beautiful city and the capital of Alervon, and ensuring their safety is vital. 

 

[ • • • • ] 

 

Yokosuka Naval Yardbay of Tokyo, Japan

Five days before the departure of the Joint 1st-carrier Group.

November 12, 1773. 11:23 AM.

The sounds of heavy metal being carried in the distance could be heard along with the breeze blowing from the easel—the chatting worker, the flock of birds in the garden, and the breeze. And many people who work in Yokosuka Bay like the dazzling sun shining with light on a foggy day.

 

Minister Takahashi's lips suddenly exploded into a puff of grey, ashen smoke. Sitting on the edge of the navy yard, he took a break—something that many would consider odd for a leader to do. He was staring at some vessels when they shot him an icy glance. The decision was made by his superiors to let the elderly guy continue working to the best of his ability before his replacement comes in two years. Yokosuka Bay requires substantial effort in exchange for his gifts. It is the first task that both Japan and America will be able to complete after two months of chaos.

 

They would be wise to search nations beyond their border levels, and it was especially necessary with protests and riots across Tokyo, Hiroshima, and even cities in America against the conspiracy. None of these were stressful at best; it wasn't something he was more concerned about, as Takashi knows that if they don't fix the country quickly, it will go into an economic meltdown worse than even Venezuela if they don't stay on course.

 

Despite the operation to find a new world, he had been wondering since he arrived in Yokosuka: what would exist outside of this new world and the beings that inhabit it? Although these are things that could be easily learned with more information, the question is whether any of these countries or peoples will see them as friends rather than enemies.

 

In the same circumstances as the European Explorers found the Continent of America in the early 20th century, would it be possible for Japan or America to turn it into a territory like theirs? Possibly, but that could be an issue for the residents and Congress calling upon it as 'imperialism, and neither his staff nor he would be aboard it. Likely, he would have to form a new foreign affairs policy to prevent any hostile activities.

 

As his inner thoughts fade away, he flicks the butt of the cigarette into the seawater beneath the bay. Takahashi gets up and glances behind him. Standing and waiting for the prime minister, Minister of Foreign 'Name' Affairs, and Secretary of Defence 'Name' await Minister Takahashi for his smoke break:

 

"Tough times, I would say, Mister Takahashi."

 

He commented that seeing the prime minister in this state was something of a first for his staff to view, but knowing that the prime minister was already on his 2nd term, it was a different world for many like them to be patting his trousers, Takahashi replied.

 

"Somewhat so, but we can manage it."

 

Before moving beside them to the Yokosuka Bay headquarters, he huffs as he takes a good look at these two secretaries. Both men took a good look at each other. As 'Name' made his way cautiously over to the structure, he became rather apprehensive. He quickly alerted the prime minister:

We've discovered an island immediately south of Okinawa, some 200 kilometres away, with what appears to be a port city that is less developed than Tokyo.

"Primitive?"

 

Hearing what Hirai Ko was talking about was strange. Though 'Named' continued: "He didn't hear about the country being down south, other than Taiwan from what he already knows."

 

No, Minister Takahashi! I advised that we start our offensive from a landmass that one of our reconnaissance troops had spotted.

He was intrigued by his secretary of state's approach to this unidentified nation, but Takahashi was more worried about what lay within those territories—primitive, as they were described as having tribal forces resembling those of a sentinel island. Imagine a country going beyond what is considered appropriate international relations.

When are we going to locate a country that will stabilise our economy? "I can't be too receptive to the idea. Hirai Ko can't stand to imagine a nation still using sticks and stones as their mode of trade." is the only query and response.

Hirai Ko answered, "Because this is the kind of country we're looking for in a prime minister. After 'drawing' a bird's-eye view of the port city, they stopped as they were entering the building, and Takahashi looked out over a blossoming harbour with sail ships passing naval yards stuffed to the gills with both old and new ships. The city itself was unlike anything he had ever seen; it was highly European with an American aesthetic flair. It is obvious that Mr. Takahashi needs to change his mind on this. They had a great chance to observe the confidence of this country.

As soon as he puts the document away, Prime Minister Takahashi's demeanour changes from being uncertain to being certain.

 

"We should take it momentarily."

 

  • • • 

 

Cabinet meeting room, Yokosuka headquarters

 

Military and civilian representatives from both the United States and Japan were present within the cabinet twenty minutes earlier, listening over Prime Minister Takahashi as he presented a succinct but significant update on recent events. After finishing, he rapidly pauses, then swiftly returns to his seat and continues over. Many inside are considering what plans they should make for the country they have seen, but the primary concern is what they should do because this isn't exactly something they have done before. Even American and Japanese officials are baffled or think it would be ridiculous to receive a letter informing them that "here is a new country wanting to trade."

Although the Japanese side was still debating how they would go about it, Aboard this meeting sat a man wearing clean and appropriate attire for a well-dressed and important individual, all while having an American flag pin. As Ambassador Johnson sat down alongside the rest of the officials, they quietly considered a simulation to which Johnson had the answer: 

 

"I'll say that we moved forward by dispatching a fleet from their aircraft, and once they receive the message, we dock at their ports and put on a friendly front to demonstrate that we are not a threat but rather nations in need of supplies," the speaker said.

Johnson seemed to be extremely confident that everything would probably go as planned; he just needed to make sure it worked in their favour, but some people didn't agree.

 

"No, Johnson, I wouldn't go into your idea completely; we should make sure that this country doesn't go and kill our pilots or anyone else involved in this mission."

One official retorted that he was just marginally opposed but required complete proof. Johnson might wholeheartedly concur with this since he, too, does not want to bear witness to any accounts of needless bloodshed. Minister Takahashi was fully aware of the debate, despite everyone's talk, and he wanted to know when it would be over so he could give the go-ahead for their departure and send them on their way to their diplomatic mission. Most military officials, including his staff, remained silent as the Senate and diplomats competed on their different tasks, so when they heard this, it was primarily idle conversation on the ground. 

However, in the prime minister's opinion, it would be more logical to ensure that they get the message by having someone take the initiative and make the first move.

"Well, This would be a long-awaited question that would need to be solved quickly. I would have two guys send the message, then you. After completing the first mission, Ambassador Johnson and a Japanese representative would return to their portsyards."

Takahashi said it was a full six hours through with a 50/50 split of peace or a threat to the nation itself; however, looking over at the table, it appears that the majority aren't contesting and would prefer to proceed with his suggestion. Taking a small sip of Japanese whisky and looking back. 

"A week of anxiety, tensions, and doubts was nothing less than a nightmare. This wall of fog completely engulfed the Japanese archipelago and our American allies as well; but as the fog settles, what remains for us is a new world, a new hope to reclaim ourselves from the mistakes we have made in the past!”

 

Another pour from the whisky into his Shot glass, many more imitating what the prime minister was doing, raising his glass above his head, many so accomplishing:

 

"May our countries live on!"

 

They cheered, and everyone immediately took the drink of honour as they saw that an hour from now, the joint carrier fleet between Japan and America would depart by 12:35 PM. Although they could see it, the changing world is vastly different from what they have known for so long on Earth.It seems that they would have to rewrite history, knowing that the people inside both Japan and America would be against the new world's history. Takahashi believes that his parliament would be forced to make numerous changes to education and tourist attractions as a result of free exchange. 

Acknowledging that there would be people who would be against it, the day of a changing world is tomorrow and beyond, and how would he change it to prevent the downfall of the two forces who altered the history of the old world they lived in? These questions plagued Takahashi’s consciences, as never in the country’s history would they find themselves in a situation where scientific hypothesis and logic were ultimately thrown under the bus. And with the magnitude of issues that are gripping both nations, he felt that it would be only logical to declare strict protocols that may save the country from a torturous fall.

 

[ • • • • ]

 

White Castle Palace Northern regions of the Alervon Plains 10 km away from the capital, Sollan.

 

3:52 PM 

 

The Royal Monarchs of the Kingdom of Alervon lived in a tiny, diverse castle that was constructed amid the lush plains of the northern Alervon region, surrounded by stone walls. Despite the tales of the "flying object," there were people keeping peace in this palace, realising that it might be their final meal, surrounded by modest stone walls guarded by royal soldiers from the 1st Calvary regiment.

A few structures created from the blueprints of more recent industrialised technology could be found inside a chamber. They dined there, where the table was full to the brim, which was regarded as a noble edifice, and the room was lit by a light bulb filling the dark gaps on the inside. In addition to the nobility in charge and the majority of the workers who were able to consume this dinner, there was a sizable roast pig in the middle of the table, along with grilled fruit and smoked pork. She glanced to see many enjoying their meal as Queen Savannah, who was in charge of this dinner event, gave them a very kind gift:

"Enjoy every bit of it!" Savannah announced, and everyone at the table immediately raised their chalice above, complimenting the queen.

"Yes, your majesty!'

Digging down, every dish served was taken piece by piece, showing that loyalty even means the food there was given, as the nobles, royal guards, and even the staff took on their supper. Quickly after Savannah takes a glass of wine and sips through her thoughts, despite the recent reports about the Artesian Empire's current affairs and the changing political views within the 4th civilization conference, it would be ideal to step up their influence by making the most of what they have and increasing their military and border size.

 

The next logical step to becoming regarded as a superpower in this fifth civilization is to put into action a five-year plan to rapidly expand their nations' borders and military capabilities. On paper, it appears that they are moving quickly and smoothly, and they have increased their knowledge of so-called "tanks" and armoured vehicles by having military personnel attend a military summit. Their industry is trying everything possible to duplicate the equipment others above them have but that they never get to see. They were grateful for the invitation from the kingdom of Aisha, which gave them access to the more advanced weapons from the third and fourth centuries and gave them a perspective on how far behind their country really is. 

Looking over to the secretary of foreign affairs. She wonders about an issue she had spotted: 

"At the moment we speak, we have gotten around four political issues and have spotted an unnecessary amount of difficulties that even I wouldn't be capable of fixing." 

Her wording made the secretary somewhat concerned, and after placing down her utensils, she asked directly.

"What would that be?"

Queen Savannah continued:

"Personal reports from the mage's intelligence reports had sighted that we're three decades behind than most countries beyond the 4th civilization; apparently, ever since the "Great Expansion Crisis," the realisation of this issue was noted before but wasn't given if the Alervon kingdom should have a greater industrial revolution."

She was aware that their neighbours were more developed than they were, but she believed that this was more a result of their previous government's strong isolationism, which caused their nation to lack beyond its basic needs even after they had split apart ten years earlier.

The secretary would prefer a military buildup, but Savannah would benefit more from a technological breakthrough becausebecause,n military construction, it would probably entail employing more outdated weapons. She is, however, exploring other choices due to her advisors' varying levels of enthusiasm. Once communication between this unidentified flying object and the regional civilization conference improves, it would be more reasonable to plan this out further.

She looked at her daughter Elizabeth as supper came to an end while keeping her gaze fixed on her empty plate. “I’ll be excused.” 

As Elizabeth exits the dining room, Queen Savannah follows suit and looks over from her seat as she says, "I'll be excused." She then gets up from the tables.

"I'll be back."

Shortly after getting up from the table and following presumably her daughter's direction, the secretary gazes over to everyone on the table, staring towards the Queen. She snaps her fingers immediately, and everyone resumes eating their dinner. As Elizabeth walks down the short hallways, she yells out for Elizabeth to wait up, gazing back at her and halting any movement.

 

"Mother! This is a situation that should be dealt with accordingly! We can't be in the white castle having dinner and calling it our last supper!"

She was agitated. Savannah understands her annoyance and believes it was a mistake to call it their "last supper," knowing that it wasn't this that had made Elizabeth uneasy for the previous 14 hours. Elizabeth breaks down in tears, sitting down on a small corridor table as Savannah walks over to her, sobbing in hand. The political spectrum around the Alervon royal party and her daughter's uneasiness at learning about a possible marriage with the 3rd prince of the Artesian empire She bent her knees and knelt beside her daughter.

"I'm here. There isn't something that would hurt you. You must have to be strong for this Elizabeth. The throne needs a new leader as soon as you know that I won't be in this world for too long."

Comforting her, Savannah knows that she would need her only daughter to become a strong individual; the world wouldn't have her rule as a queen on Alervon within the next forty decades as it means making Elizabeth and preparing to become a new ruling monarch on this beautiful land of Alervon.

"But how mother..."

She whispered, and Savannah got closer to her ear.

"Once the day comes, I'll make it up to you!"

Savannah stood up soon after they hugged. As her steps alarmed her sobbing daughter Elizabeth, who was now facing over to see the royal guard bowing down, the red carpet marched down from the hallway in front of her.

"The unknown object was spotted and had requested if they could land on the Wyvern airbase, your majesty!"

Surprising report to hear. "So it was true!" she uttered. "Let it enter the airbase, but proceed to the object with caution; have Captain Rosemary take command of this thing, and we shall head back to Sollan."

The royal guard bowed once more, changing her direction back to where she had entered. The princess and the queen both gazed towards each other, surprised to hear that the flying object was a real deal. Requiring that they would need their present to swell quickly. Savannah heads back to the Dining room, with Elizabeth following along.

"May the gods be with us."

2