Chatper 4: The Colossus
70 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A short while later, the three met back up and set out into the city. They followed the long road west, passing many apartments buildings until they came across a large opening. Before them was a giant square marketplace surrounded by a variety of crowded restaurants. The square was packed as far as the eye could see.

On the side opposite them was a giant stadium made from marble and glowing blue bricks. It was designed with giant archways built in a massive circle. It looked as though it could fill hundreds of thousands of people. Inside, roars leaked out, filling the market and streets outside.

“Sounds like this is where are those explosions have been coming from.” Horace said. “I wonder if there are mages fighting.”

“Maybe we should go check it out… But look at all these people. This place is completely packed.” Marcus said.

The three of them walked up to the massive stadium and joined a long line. The line moved fast, and they quickly found themselves confronted by a strong-looking guard, giving off a faint aura. He wore a blue and gold hooded cloak and was armed with deadly-looking blades.

“Identifications?” the guard asked.

Ban and the others pulled out their cards and gave them to the guards.

“New guys, huh? Pretty brave exploring on your first day.” Said the guard, laughing.

“Entering the arena usually costs coin, but since it’s your first day here, ill be nice and let you in for free. Take these tickets and go ahead.” He said with an impish smile.

Giving their thanks, the three walked in.

The inside of the stadium was equally packed with thousands of people all buying food, weapons, and other strange items.

“These magic swords were approved by Rolight himself, the most powerful human in the arena, the first one to wound The Colossus! These are the best magical swords money can buy!” A vendor yelled as people flocked around him.

Looking at their tickets, Ban and the others walked through the arena until they could find their section of seats. Walking up some stairs, then down a hall, they found themselves in the stands. Around them, thousands cheered. The Arena was truly massive. There were hundreds of rows filled with seats stretching high into the sky. Booming rang throughout the arena as hundreds jumped and screamed.

They immediately forgot about their seats and looked at the fight taking place in the arena.

In the center of the arena were two mages battling so fast the eye could barely discern what it saw. One was in a black hooded cloak, holding a pair of long daggers, with red eyes staring down his opponent. The other was a large shirtless man with black hair, holding two curved swords made of blue mana.

The two clashed hundreds of times, neither gaining the upper hand. Both flew through the air, every hit causing shock waves throughout the arena. Some sort of force field dulled the effect the crowd felt, but still, some explosive sound and dull vibrations radiated out.
The double-bladed man, who the crowd referred to as Archon, stopped attacking. He raised his swords, crossing them before his chest, then spoke words no one could hear. Suddenly, lightning formed and began to dance across his blades. In the blink of an eye, Archon advanced once more. Chains of lightning booming from every swing of his lightning-covered swords, as he relentlessly chased the hooded man. Red shields came into existence around the robed man but fizzled out every time the swords struck.

Eventually, the robed man threw his hands up and a massive black mist, that roared like a dragon, charged Archon. Crossing his swords, Archon went on the defensive. Meanwhile, a giant spell formation formed below the robed man’s feet. He looked like he was chanting something and the formation glowed blood red.

Archon, having defended against the roaring black mist, flashed forwards hoping to strike before the formation completed. Lightning danced as he swung his swords faster than the eye could see, but it seemed he was too late.

A giant black wall formed before the robed man, blocking all Archon’s attacks. Slowly, a huge sphere of black mist formed above his head. Deep red eyes opened from the mist before the ball exploded out in a mass of misty tendrils the size of trains.
The tendrils of mist moved at insanely fast speeds as they slammed into Archon, completely devouring him. Ban watched as Tendril after tendril pierced into one another in the spot Archon used to be flying. The sound was like a tornado ripping through the stadium, and the crowd boomed with wild excitement. Every inch of Ban’s body felt like it was being beat like drums, as explosive sounds ripped through the surrounding air.

After a few moments, a bright blue light exploded in the center of the arena.

“Class B’s, The Reaper, ”Achlys” of the shades has ended Archon’s 6 match win-streak.“ A large voice boomed throughout the stadium.
Ban heard as people roared in happiness over winning massive bets. Apparently, this Archon was supposed to be an obvious win. The upset made people rich.

“That was fucking insane.” Horace yelled with huge, excited eyes. “Magic is this powerful!?”

“And that was only Class B, isn’t there usually a class A, and S in these types of things?” Marcus said shakily.

“There has to be a class A! I can’t even begin to imagine an S class. Could we even survive that?” Ban said.

The three of them hurried to find their seats before the next match started. They found themselves next to a friendly-looking man in his 50s, high up in the stands.

They spoke excitedly about the last fight and the crazy magic, wondering what was in store for them in Velsia. The man next to them noticed their chatting and joined in, introducing himself as Silas. He told them of incredible battles he had seen before, and about all sorts of incredible magic.

“The next battles will be the start of Class A. Archon definitely belongs in class B but that shade could probably win in class A if he didn’t have to charge his formation so long. That’s the scale of magic that will be seen often in Class A matches.” Silas told them.

“Here, let me give you all a gift, you’ll probably need them.” Silas said, handing the 3 of them blue rings.

“What is it?” Ban asked.

“Just something that might help you later.” Silas responded.

Soon the Class A matches started, and the boys watched in awe.

The first fight was between an elvish woman with a bow that shot massive explosive arrows against a dragonic man who breathed black and gold flames that could blot out the sun. It was an insanely destructive battle that ended after over 10 minutes of back and forth fighting. The elf had shot a giant barrage of arrows that slammed into the ground like meteors before blowing up and killing the weakened dragonic man.
Multiple fights with incredible magic passed. They saw a woman that could control massive tsunami-like waves. A giant man who caused massive explosions with every thrust of his fists. A demon that could fight by controlling an enormous ball of blood, who lost to a man that could summon hundreds of mighty weapons from thin air.

Ban and the others were fully blown away by what they saw. Eventually, Class A ended and a special Class S match was beginning. The only S-class fight that would take place.

A beautiful angelic woman took the field, bathed in golden light. She was armed with all sorts of deadly looking gold weapons. She floated in the sky looking like a god.

Her opponent was a weak-looking man in his mid-30s. He had black hair and an unkempt beard. He looked up at the angel, somehow not nervous in the least.

“The special S Class fight, Archangel Lailah vs The Colossus, begins now!”

Everyone stood up in the arena stood up in excitement, including Ban.

Ban watched the angel with awe, before glancing at the weak-looking man.

“How could he possibly win this fight?” Ban thought.

Next to him, Silas muttered.

“Well, let’s see how the shield fares…”

Horace let out a loud laugh.

“Ha! That guy is screwed.”

Then the weak man transformed.

A sound akin to a bomb exploded throughout the arena, and the protective barrier instantly sprang to life before them.

Inside the arena, where the weak-looking man once stood, was a massive white titan. It looked as though he was made from marble. He stood 40-stories high with massive U-shaped wings on his back. The massive Colossus took up a huge portion of the arena. The angel floating before it immediately threw her arms up and summoned what could only be described as a star. A blinding light flashed before the protective screen turned dark, allowing everyone to see the field without being blinded. The star was like a giant molten ball of lava. It was 10 times the height of the angel, around 50 feet in diameter.

As soon as it fully formed, she threw out her arms, and the star flew straight at The Colossus before her, turning the arena into a molten field. The burning waves of heat made even the crowd sweat.

“Holy shit, I didn’t expect him to transform… But he’s still screwed.” Horace said, stunned.

Silas sat down next to them.

“Here we go…”

[BANG!!!]

The enormous star collided with The Colossus in a huge eruption of molten flames. Even through the barrier the sight was blinding, forcing Ban to look away. The earsplitting explosion reverberated throughout the arena, causing a sense of panic.

When Ban looked back at the fight, he was astonished.

The Colossus stood without so much a scratch, and the angel's face paled.

The titan slowly raised his hand in a fist, like he was getting ready to strike, but waited. Soon, a purple aura formed around his fist. Even Ban could sense a massive pull in the air like the fist was a whirlpool sucking up all the mana in the area.

After a brief moment, the massive purple fist moved back, before it struck forward like lightning, slamming the angel straight into the arena floor.

The protective barrier instantly shattered. A huge purple shock wave roared in every direction.

Ban knew he was dead. No doubt about it. His eyes filled with extreme terror as he watched death approach. Then he felt his finger burn in pain, and his world turned black.

Moments later, the world re-appeared around him, his finger still burning like molten metal was wrapped around it. He looked down and saw what was left of the ring Silas gave them, a red band that fizzled out into ash.

Around him was hell. Screaming and death filled the arena. Ban saw thousands of mangled bodies, and blood that soaked stone seats like paint. Small chunks of the arena had collapsed and giant stone slabs slid into a massive gaping hole where the arena’s field used to be.

Then the crowd roared with excitement and awe.

Ban looked around, completely terrified, but amazed. Although thousands had died, the majority survived. Many protected themselves with magic and threw the giant chunks of stone away from themselves.

“I thought this would happen.” spoke Silas. “Never should've brought him to this arena. The spell formation just isn’t strong enough here.”

“How am I alive?” Horace croaked.

“I told you those rings might save you.” said Silas

“How can people cheer? So many just died..” Marcus said shakily.

“Everyone knew how strong The Colossus is, and how weak this arena was. If they decided to show up without the proper power or equipment anyway, they’re fools.” Silas said. “I gave you those rings just in case this happened. Since you're new here and did not know what to expect, you don’t deserve death.”

The three of them stood terrified.

“Look at your hands.”

They did, and Ban saw a black burn mark where his ring used to be.

“Let that be a reminder. Without power, you are nothing in this world. If you go through your tests and find you don’t have magic, you’re a bug. Sure, maybe some people have talent with the sword, or are skilled at some profession. But look before you. That is real power. Magic rules all. Don’t forget.” Silas said as he left the stands.

Trembling, Ban looked back at the Colossus, when he realized it was staring right at them, like it sensed something, something powerful. Then in a flash, the Colossus was gone.

3