(Canadian) Thanksgiving special!
1.2k 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Canadian) Thanksgiving Special

 

Maxim P.O.V

 

“Man, Eddie you’ve always got our backs you know?”

 

Maxim, Ben, Simon, and James were holding a private thanksgiving celebration in Mike’s pub. After getting some booze for the boys, they had held a public get-together with the soldiers and citizens that were transported over as well. They held it over a mix of MRE’s since, to them, it didn’t really matter what they were eating, it was just about family and happiness after all. 

 

They had their MRE’s as well, but also had a few other snacks that were given to them as well, one in particular was a wheat pudding that was quite nice. James and Ben were digging in while Simon took small bites, while watching them fight over the last cup.

 

Eddie moved over to them from the bar top, holding a few cups of steaming nutmeg hot chocolate. Maxim gladly accepted it, while Eddie handed one over to Simon as well and set the other two on the table to wait for James and Ben.

 

Maxim took a sip and sighed

 

“Thanksgiving already huh? I wonder how mom’s doing back at home, I’m sure they’re doing fine but they can’t be too happy about me being on a different planet..”

 

Eddie smacked his back, 

 

“Cheer up man! I know this may look bad, but you still got the guys with you! We’re all here with you until the end, and...although it probably doesn’t look like it, those guys are also with you. We’re your family as well, are we not?”

 

He looked at the group to find Simon was also dragged into the fight, but even then, they all had smiles on their faces. They finally stopped after a while, with James breathing out and downing the hot chocolate all at once, instantly regretting it.

 

“HOT! Holy shit, someone get me ice water!”

 

Hard laughter rang out throughout the pub as they watched him grab a glass of water that Eddie handed him and down it.

 

As long as I’m with these guys, I think I’ll be fine.

 

And thus, they spent Thanksgiving day messing around and eating until they couldn’t anymore. Even though they all wanted to go home, that didn’t mean that they couldn’t be happy and celebrate at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Not a chapter, but I decided to put a fun little intermission in. I started this story just over two weeks ago but I’ve met so many amazing people along the way. I can’t express to everyone reading how much I appreciate you guys, how much it means to me that people actually like the work I put out. 

 

And with that out of the way, here’s a few fun facts about the story and stuff I should mention.

 

  1. Since no foreign spices could be grown in the area of Europe such as England, Germany, and all the other countries in those areas, merchants tended to create abstract stories to drive the market value up. The two I used were the Cinnamologus and the poisonous vipers for black pepper and cinnamon. It was said that cinnamon were taken from a mythical bird’s nest. The bird was called a Cinnamologus, and were apparently (it was made up) very rare and they had to fight the birds to take the branches of cinnamon back. It was said that black pepper was formed from white pepper that was scorched black by a mythical vipers fire, which rendered it extremely precious. Of course it was eventually debunked in less than a decade of these rumors and myths being created.

 

 2.A man spent three weeks only eating MRE’s, and the results were explosive. Literally. The U.S military has said that consuming only MRE’s for more than two weeks would cause long lasting health problems, which included indigestion, diarrhea, and could even cause diabetes! The preservatives cause most of these instances, but if citizens ate them the high calorie count would also cause many problems.

 

3.Papyrus was made in Egypt, so when the trade was cut off it was extremely devastating to many European countries. There were alternatives, but they more or less caused prices to increase dramatically. Eventually, a notebook could cost as much as two houses!

 

4.What was eaten back then would still most likely taste very good even now. Life hasn’t changed, we have been exposed to more culinary delicacies but diet’s were still generally the same and people still wanted to enjoy food.

 

5.It is calculated from various media that a regular adult Wyvern could fly with speeds up to 350 kilometers per hour, while Dragons could likely do 500 kilometers per hour. This puts them at slightly higher speeds than a biplane, and dragons as fast as the earlier jets. However, since they aren’t nocturnal, they would move at a much slower pace at night just like how we would. They are also living creatures, so they would only be able to fly so much before exhaustion, but they don’t need refuelling.

 

       6. Grapes didn’t grow in the North due to harsh weather, or the east since they weren’t a native plant there. This led people who lived there to drink mead and ale instead, which was also drunk warm to keep their bodies heated up in rough climate.

 

      7. The engines on many of the military vehicles are diesel, which means that they can accept a multitude of oil sources and still be run perfectly fine. It even accepts vegetable oil!

 

8. The stuff that they put in an IV drip at the hospital is a saline solution, a mixture of salt and water that is mixed to around the same ratio as our blood so it could be substituted in for anyone that was dehydrated or had blood loss.

 

 9. A chinook can hold a humvee in it’s bay, with the driver and passengers still in it! It would be a tight fit but if they’re sitting in the humvee it generally wouldn’t matter too much.

 

  10.  The green official army uniforms for formal events were initially phased out, but are now once again being introduced into the army. 

 

And that’s 10 facts out of a bajillion that I had to research, but I had a fun time finding this stuff out. Again, thanks for the support and I’ll see you this week with another release!

W.O.V

18