Chapter 8
120 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The man who was revealed when the door opened was well groomed and just a tad plump. This was at odds with the short line he had which often condemned people to poor income jobs and poverty-stricken lives. He surveyed Elise with mild displeasure, but his gaze softened when he saw Willow sitting at the table with an incomplete channel layout diagram.

"My apologies Elise I didn't realise you were with a client,"

Elise watched the newcomer carefully.

"Do I know you?" she asked, a little dismissively.

She really just wanted whoever this was to leave and let her get back to designing Willow's focus.

"I'm Declan, from the guild. You know me! This is hardly the first time we've spoken!" he snapped.

"Still nothing, now if you'll excuse me I was-"

"You threw a chair at me last guild meeting," he growled.

Ah now that was a memory she had no trouble recalling, she'd had some disagreements with the other guild members and things had gotten 'fun'.

"Oh right! You're the guy who knows how to dodge. I do remember you! If you're here expecting me to apologise for all that then you're wasting your time,"

"Oh, I am well aware that trying to get you to apologise for anything is pointless. No, you never apologise. I'm here to deliver a request. The examination for promotion from apprentices to journeymen will be taking place soon and since the examiner is selected from guild recognised masters in the city you get to be this year's examiner. It's not mandatory of course but you have spat in a lot of people's soup down there. Taking on some appropriate guild duties might help unruffle some feathers. I mean by all the gods Elise you were selling your focuses at way below market value to random people in the slums. That devalued everyone else's work a lot. As a member of the guild you can't do that. We're still-"

"I don't care how valued the other focus crafters work is I never have. That's their business. What bothers me is seeing potential wasted. People who could achieve great things that prevented by forces outside their control. Great materials being made into poor tools. Excellent wood being used to make terrible wands. I don't care about the profit margins of the other focus crafters that is their business, not mine. It was the guild that came to me and begged me to join, not the other way around. However, if it will make things flow smoother; sure I'll preside over your test."

"You know what fine, I'm not going to argue. Since you're willing to do the testing there's no point in me taking this discussion down a path that'll lead to flying furniture, again,"

Elise leaned in closer to whisper to him "Now I have a related question. So ehhm, how does the whole apprenticeship thing work exactly. I was self-taught so I never was one. I knew vaguely that they do work for you in exchange for education but that's it. I'll need to know for this examination thing right?"

"The exam itself is pretty simple they'll just bring you their 'sticks' and you'll get to ask them questions about the way they made them and their design decisions. Also, why are you whispering the only one else-" as Declan spoke his eyes flicked over to Willow who was still sitting at the table ever patient, "She's not a client is she? Did. . . did you take on an apprentice without any idea of what that means? You did, didn't you? By all the gods Elise, do you ever think through your actions? No don't answer I already know,"

"Do you have a problem with me taking an apprentice then?" Elise responded with defiance in her voice.

"Without you knowing all the rules and responsibilities involved? Yes. If you knew what you were doing then no. In fact, given your earlier speech about being bothered by wasted potential, I'd be tempted to try and poach her from you. There is much about you I dislike but I must admit when it comes to focuses you are capable of pulling off crazy things. If you say someone has good potential as a focus crafter then I'll trust you on that. Look the basics are you have to provide them food, lodging and pay them at least three copper a day. I'll send you a copy of the guild rules since I am entirely convinced you've never even touched a copy. It has a whole section on apprentices and the like,"

He stepped toward Willow.

"Now as for you, you should know if she gives you any problems you can take it up with the guild. The guild doesn't look kindly on any member who mistreats their apprentices. If Elise is ever cruel or violent to you we can help you out,"

Willow looked up at him with innocent eyes. Her words timid, quiet, sincere and utterly certain. What she said awoke a deep fear in Elise. It terrified her more than perhaps anything else she might have said.

"Don't worry, I trust her,"

The girl had known her less than an afternoon and already she seemed comfortable to give out trust so easily to her. Elise could feel the weight of it bare down on her. She couldn't imagine herself living up to that trust. The last time anyone really trusted her she had fled and left them to their fate. She had failed them. And now she was being trusted again, so honestly and earnestly, by someone she had just met. She wanted to distract herself, to get back to work.

"That's enough Devlin," she said "You've delivered your request and been very helpful pointing me in the direction of materials that'll answer my questions but it is time for you to get the hell out of my shop,"

"MY NAME IS DECLAN! By all the gods I get YOUR FUCKING NAME RIGHT! It's Declan, Declan, Declan! I swear if I come back here and you don't remember me or are calling me Devlin I am going to paint my name all over the front of the shop. Not that you'd ever figure out who did it if I did!"

Like so many customers, clients and visitors before him Declan exited the shop unhappy and yelling incoherently about names. It really was rather odd how frequently that happened. People often put so much importance on their names but in Elise's eyes, names were unimportant. Perhaps that was why so many left unhappy.

But she had other things to work on at the moment. She sat back down across from Willow.

"Now before I get back to finishing this channel diagram, I think I should explain why I'm doing it and start teaching you some things,"

1