Ch.7: Next Opponent
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The third stage of the Conclave of Immortals is well underway. The duels have been happening daily and the arena officials are running on tight schedules. Slowly, the top ten slots of the competition are filled as the forerunners gradually emerge. The battle for the championship is within sight and the Imperial City is bustling with excitement more than ever.

More and more people are flooding the already teeming capital, not just to witness the legendary event but to keep an eye out for rare talents. Rich merchants, local lords, heads of aristocratic families and sect patriarchs have been paying close attention to the competition. All are on the lookout for new blood to recruit under their banners.

Zhou Xue Xian, who’s been performing well in the competition, caught the eyes of these prominent figures. Curiously, no one could trace Zhou Xue Xian’s origins. Numerous forces sent out spies and spent a lot of resources in order to acquire information about the mysterious competitor but all of their attempts were decidedly blocked. No matter how much money was offered or what means were used, aside from her name, age and current cultivation realm, every information about Zhou Xue Xian was sealed.

To some, this meant that Zhou Xue Xian did not have strong backing nor upstanding status. The absence of information could be due to the mediocrity and the shallow history of her family that caused it to be overlooked until a genius like Zhou Xue Xian came along. But  to those who are more discerning this unprecedented result could only mean one thing, royalty.

In the continent of Si Xiang, to purposely conceal a person’s information and identity, only the Imperial Family of Wuxing have the authority and capability to do so.

What is Zhou Xue Xian’s connection to the Imperial Family of Wuxing? Who in the Imperial Family of Wuxing is Zhou Xue Xian connected to? Once these questions took form and lingered in everyone’s minds, investigations about Zhou Xue Xian’s background were immediately withdrawn. Knowing too much could spell disaster for those who are too inquisitive.

But not long after the inquiries were cancelled a piece of sensational news started circulating within the Imperial City. The mysterious contestant, Zhou Xue Xian, is, in fact, the only child of Si Xiang’s War God, Zhou Chen.

The news spread like wildfire and sweeped everyone in one swoop. Once the truth of her background spread, a lot of forces wanted to extend a greeting and exchange pleasantries with the person famously known as Young Master Zhou. But no one dared to act impulsively. Zhou Xue Xian is a person protected by the Imperial Family of Wuxing and the prestigious Zhou Manor, who would want to provoke such hegemons?

But the commotion within the Imperial City was none of Zhou Xue Xian’s concern. Currently, the object of curiosity and the reason for the upheaval is casually sitting inside a private room of a tea house, leisurely sipping fragrant tea and sampling sweet snacks.

“I guess I should thank you for my quiet days in the capital, big brother.” Zhou Xue Xian smiled at the handsome youth sitting across from her.

“No need, younger sister. It’s what I should do.” The Crown Prince, Nangong Yu, smiled back as he filled another cup for Zhou Xue Xian. “If I allowed younger sister to be disturbed during your first visit to the capital, Imperial Father would definitely skin me!”

Not many people know that Zhou Chen married Imperial Princess Yao, the elder sister of the current Emperor of Wuxing. Back then, the situation of Wuxing was not stable due to the former emperor’s untimely passing and the plot to rebel by the former Prince Regent.

After foiling the plot of rebellion of their vicious uncle, Imperial Princess Yao, Nangong Xiyao, helped her younger brother secure the throne and ascend to become the Emperor of Wuxing. But after helping the new emperor stabilize the imperial court and get rid of the enemies hidden in the shadows, Nangong Xiyao set off to get married.

Many believed Imperial Princess Yao sought out a strong vassal country in secret to form an alliance to ensure her brother’s throne. But no one could prove the speculation because no one was able to trace Imperial Princess Yao’s whereabouts after she was married off and left the Imperial Capital. Only a select few amongst the courtiers knew the truth. 

Nangong Xiyao married her childhood sweetheart and the Emperor of Wuxing’s sworn brother, Zhou Chen.  After performing the sacred vows in a secret ceremony within the Imperial Capital and Imperial Princess Yao lived out the rest of her days in Hai Shan Valley.

Nangong Yu quietly studied the young woman in front of him. It had been two springs since he last saw his cousin. Although Zhou Xue Xian’s behavior towards him did not change from the separation, he couldn’t help but feel that she was different from before. True, she’s become stronger than the last time he saw her. But the unusual change he’s currently feeling from her does not stem from her cultivation advancement. Nangong Yu can’t discern, exactly, what it is about her that changed, or whether it was good or bad. But knowing Zhou Xue Xian’s temperament, Nangong Yu decided not to dwell on the matter.

Instead of worrying about something that couldn’t be explained, the Crown Prince decided to ask Zhou Xue Xian about more pressing matters. “Xian’er, what do you think of your next opponent?” He curiously asked.

Zhou Xue Xian did not answer but instead asked back, “What do you think of him, big brother?”

“He’s very talented. The best of his generation, to be honest. Even if he quit the tournament now, Imperial Father would surely want to recruit him. It’s a pity though. The man will not accept such an invitation even from the emperor.” Nangong Yu did not mince his words nor held back his praises. In front of him is his blood related cousin, who is closer to her than his own siblings, between them there was no such thing as artful words or secret agendas. 

Zhou Xue Xian’s next opponent is one of the top favorites to win the championship of the Conclave of Immortals. The number one genius of Jiàn Sect, Ye Xiao Lan.

Ye Xiao Lan is the third prince of a vassal kingdom of Wuxing and a core disciple of one of the Seven Sects of Si Xiang, Jiàn Sect. Ye Xiao Lan awakened one of the strongest soul avatars in Si Xiang, Purple Winged Fire Qilin.

Cultivating to the peak of Core Formation Stage at only ten and nine springs, Ye Xiao Lan is on his way to becoming the youngest Nascent Soul cultivator in the continent of Si Xiang. If nothing goes wrong and Ye Xiao Lan emerges as the champion of the Conclave of Immortals, he would join San Yuan palace and become the next patriarch of Jiàn Sect.

The battle with Ye Xiao Lan would be Zhou Xue Xian’s last match before the finals. In truth, Zhou Xue Xian and Ye Xiao Lan did not need to fight this battle. Both have already racked up enough wins to secure a place in the top ten. The outcome of the upcoming bout would not affect their current placing in the ranking. They could have waited to face each other during the duels amongst the top ten. But when Zhou Xue Xian received the invitation from Ye Xiao Lan, she did not think twice and promptly accepted the challenge. 

Perhaps Zhou Xue Xian was hasty in her decision to compete with Ye Xiao Lan before the finals. A loss would definitely put a dark mark on her otherwise unblemished record in the competition. But after watching some of his matches, Zhou Xue Xian believed that battling Ye Xiao Lan earlier would be more beneficial for her.

“Are you worried, big brother?” Zhou Xue Xian teasingly asked as she played with her cup. Seeing Nangong Yue’s darkening face, she chuckled mischievously and turned her head to look out the open window. Coincidentally, the topic of their conversation was walking on the busy street below.

Sensitive to his surroundings, Ye Xiao Lan immediately looked up and met Xue Xian’s smiling gaze. The two briefly shared a meaningful glance until Ye Xiao Lan broke eye contact and continued on his way.

“Interesting.” Zhou Xue Xian whispered, clearly amused by the subtle exchange. She watched as Ye Xiao Lan disappeared amongst the crowd before turning back to face her annoyed cousin.

0