Chapter One: Powers And Assets
968 6 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the same quiet corner of my mind where the awareness of “Subtle” and “Planeswalker” were located, there was now a firm awareness of “Power Matrix”. I again closed my eyes and turned my mind to that corner where my powers were “Located” so that I could reach out and feel the power inside of me. 

“Power Matrix” was an incredible power that was itself responsible for my awareness of my powers. Through it, I was able to know the ins and outs of my other powers and possessed incredible control over them so much so that I was an immediate, indisputable master of the potent powers that flowed through me. And now that I had an awareness of “Power Matrix” I knew that there were other powers within me, I could sense their presence and wanted to know their names and in doing so gain power over them. 

“What a power…” I muttered, as I gazed at my own fist, now keenly aware of the potent power flowing through atom and particle inside of me. I turned my gaze to the floor at my feet and willed myself downwards, landing on the floor that I had previously been standing on silently and with a smirk on my face. 

“It truly is…,” Whispered the voice in the back of my mind. “And it’s far from the last one you possess.” The voice added, and though it lacked a face I could distinctively hear the smirk in its tone. That said, my smirk only grew bigger as I realized that even now the powers I possessed were truly incredible. 

I was keenly aware of the absurd possibilities of my powers. With the powers that I knew I possessed, I could both run to and survive in the other end of the universe if I were so inclined. That was an incredible ability to have. If I wanted to escape, all I had to do was look at the sky and opt to leave this world behind. I also knew that this universe, heck even the multiverse I was in, were far from the only ones in existence, thanks to the knowledge that came with the “Planeswalker” power.

If I wanted to see some other place, even one in a different pleniverse, all I had to do was will myself away from this world and wish that I were somewhere else. My body was perfectly adapted to surviving in any environment, from the fires of different Hells to the deepest and darkest pits of Earth’s oceans. Things like distance had no real meaning to me anymore. 

“That’s the attitude! In order to be a successful true deity, it is important that you accept that the things that limit mankind and mortals independent of species do not limit you.” The voice in the back of my mind whispered again, interrupting my introspection. 

“Yours is the sort of fantastical freedom possessed only by the mightiest of deities. It will take some time to adjust to, truly, but it is well worth the effort needed to do so. In order to truly be who you are meant to be, you must let go of the part of yourself that thinks like a mortal.” The voice whispered as I realized that it was once again speaking the truth. If I wanted to really master the abilities I possessed, I needed to let the part of me that thought like a mortal die and embrace the truly endless possibilities that came with being what I was, and what I could do as a deity. 

“But… What can I do?” I asked myself, still speaking aloud since I wasn’t able to be heard by anyone. I heard the voice that represented my untapped potential and my truest self, chuckle again. 

“You can do… Well, anything really.” The voice teased, causing me to chuckle and shake my head. And then the voice spoke once more. 

“Your powers are yours, intimately and wholly. They are a part of you that has always been there, slumbering in the depths of your soul, even as a child. Now they are awakening. You are awakening.” The voice told me, speaking a bit more seriously. That caused me to close my eyes and sigh, in both annoyance and recognition that its words were true. Every word it uttered, a small but increasingly growing part of me recognized were truthful, literal, and necessary.

“Yes, but I wish to be awake. Well and truly awake.” I replied, even as I began to make my way to the institution’s student center, a building a fair distance away from the school of education. I could have made it there in an instant, but I didn’t want to do that. Instead, I wanted to take my time, to appreciate the power I had gained, and to have a conversation with myself.  

“So… What next?” I asked myself, quickly adjusting to this new and rather strange reality. As I began to make my way to the university’s student center, I felt the voice in the back of my mind sigh and then hiss in delight, the sounds stranger and more alien than I could have imagined them being. 

“Well… Now you can begin to have a bit of fun.” The voice whispered before I suddenly and abruptly felt a new sort of awareness form in the back of my mind. I turned inward, all while continuing to walk towards the distant university student center, and mentally inspected my mind to detect the focus of the strange new power I was aware of. And I saw it. “Inventory”.

“Oh, I know this one. Nice!” I mentally uttered, aware of the potent possibilities of this specific power just by glancing at its name. With it, I could store any non-living thing inside of a dimensional space with an unlimited capacity. This potent power meant that I never needed to worry about lifting things if I didn’t want to.

“I think you should go ahead and look around the inventory.” The voice informed me, causing me to fill with curiosity. I silently activated the power and in doing so was pleasantly surprised to see two things already “Inside” of the power. Without really thinking about it, I “Reached inside” of the dimensional space the power granted me dominion over and pulled out the two objects.

The first object was something I immediately recognized as a bank card. It was a sleek thing, and somehow as I glanced at it I knew that it was far more than appeared, but I wasn’t sure how. The other thing that I pulled out of my inventory was a letter in a white envelope addressed to me in the loosest possible sense, referring to me as “The Last Living God” that had a strange seal stamped onto the front of it. I carefully opened it and pulled out the letter within. 

“To whom it may concern,

If you are receiving this letter then you are the possessor of the true and unlimited ‘Inventory’ ability. That is indisputable, irrefutable proof that you are a true divinity, a living god, the very last of your kind, though not the last ‘deity’, and hopefully, you are opening this letter before terribly long after discovering that fact about yourself.

I, the author of this letter, am the scholar and theologian known to my people, the species known as the Manatis, as Alphor. I would be delighted to learn that this letter has been read by the last of the great race known across the omniverse as the ‘Living gods’, and that my humble gift has been received by the inheritor and last child of the architects of the omniverse. I am also attaching a relic known as a black artifact to this letter that will serve whoever receives it by attuning them to a number of vaults and storage spaces that are packed with all sorts of cosmic goods, artifacts, and more. 

The vaults and storage spaces the black artifact is tethered to are vaults and storage spaces containing the infinite wealth, artifacts, technologies, and artificial armies of civilizations who owed and devoted their existences to your ancestors, the living gods who in the distant past created the omniverse. The morphic black artifact in your possession will serve you as a sort of omniversal bank card that will work anywhere in existence, and can also allow you to visit the vaults and storage spaces where the civilizations placed their wealth, artifacts, technology, and armies, so that you may utilize their gifts to you however you see fit. 

If you use the black artifact in any way I will learn that you are out there, and I will gleefully serve and worship you if you would be willing to be worshiped by me. In recent years I have become the C.E.O. of a gigantic omniversal corporation known as Atlas Incorporated and my greatest desire in life is to be a loyal servant of the last living god. If the day comes when this letter is opened… I can only hope that this is all deemed a worthy gift for you, and that you would deign to let me know of your presence somewhere in the omniverse.

Your devoted and faithful servant,

Alphor Redmane”

As I read the letter I felt a strange sort of alien sadness, and also a quiet hope fall over me. The object in my hand radiated a series of conflicting, intense emotions, sadness, and hope in equal measure infusing every single non-human letter. I also knew that the thing was written in an alien language, but as I read the words within the letter my mind automatically translated their inhuman shapes and penmanship into what my conscious mind could recognize and read as clearly as if the words were written in modern American English, undoubtedly due to the potent power of “Planeswalker”. 

In the seconds that the letter was in my hand and I was reading over it the voice in the back of my mind, the voice that supposedly embodied my unconscious self whispered yet another potent word: “Worldmind”. That word practically vibrated with power, and unlike with my other powers I hesitated to mentally gain a true awareness of it. I knew that the instant I did I would forever be altered by it. After steeling myself for a few seconds I willed myself to mentally approach the prominent word, and in gaining awareness of it allowed myself to fully activate it.

“Worldmind” was an incredible power, and the instant that I gained an awareness of it my connection to the rest of the world, to the rest of existence was forever altered as my intellect and wisdom abruptly and powerfully increased. 

I was so stunned by the increase to my intellect, wisdom, senses, and even the countless additions to my actual abilities that I physically stopped for a moment and caught my breath. Fortunately for me I had stopped in front of my university’s student center, and I was able to act as though I was just admiring the architecture of the place and in doing so hide what was actually occurring to me. 

I felt myself developing a staggeringly breathtaking array of psychic and psionic abilities, and frowned. Powers ranging from telepathy to telekinesis at scales that would have blown my mind minutes ago were now suffusing my brain. And the power didn’t just grant me psionic abilities either, it also granted me knowledge. I took a deep breath as I felt the sheer potency of the knowledge afforded to me as the recipient of “Worldmind”.

“Secrets galore…” I muttered, as my frown began to relax and became a contented expression on my face. “Worldmind” was an unbelievably powerful ability and with it I had gone from having a relatively mundane mind to being able to alter reality itself with a thought. As I approached my university’s student center I felt my mind filling with knowledge about the thing, from the exact composition of the building to the number of people who had ever set foot inside of it. 

“Visual psychometry… The ability to learn secrets and trivia with little more than a glance. Remarkable.” I uttered, as my mind continued to absorb new information about the building, and then about its inhabitants. I walked into the building, and silently entered the food court where I planned to reveal my presence to my soon-to-be-friend and future worshiper, Alphor.


The food court was a large, multi-floored area with several kiosks that contained “Express” versions of numerous popular restaurants. It was filled with hungry students, staff, and faculty who were treating themselves to delicious breakfast food in celebration of having survived their first classes of the new school year. My expanded senses found and alerted me to all sorts of stimuli as I stepped towards one of the closest kiosks, one that brilliantly illuminated a small corner of the food court and sold its customers all sorts of southern breakfast foods. 

When I reached the thing, I began to click on it and ordered a simple breakfast: a chicken biscuit combo. And before I knew it, I found myself staring at a screen asking me how I intended to pay for the food I had just ordered. I chuckled and clicked on the bright option that said “Card”. When it asked me to insert my card, I pulled the thing out of my pocket and stared at it for a second, now consciously aware that it had taken on the form of a bank card because it was adapting to the world it was in. I dexterously twirled the card around before sliding it into the kiosk, and listening to a quiet jingle as the machine read my new card. 

A second later I watched the digital imagery on the kiosk change as the card was accepted, and internally I found myself both sighing with relief as well as now nervous for a whole new reason. Now… Somewhere in the cosmos, a person was aware that there was a new “Living God”, and I could already sense that that was going to cause all sorts of changes. 

I took a few steps back and walked to a nearby table, where I sat down and allowed my mind to wander. As I did, I felt my senses continuing to expand, and what’s more is that they were now beginning to expand at a greater and greater speed proportional to how powerful they were. That allowed me to possess senses so honed that I was keenly aware of conversations in other countries, and to see the distinctive particles in the air around me. Meanwhile the voice in the back of my mind decided to speak to me once more. 

“So… Are you having fun?” The voice teased, causing me to smile idly. It was hard not to enjoy these sorts of powers since with them I could already do an incredible amount. And I knew that the voice had more gifts to bestow me with. 

“I am! All of these powers are so incredible… It’s hard to put into words, honestly.” I explained, honestly. 

“Oh absolutely… But you have yet to get the most incredible ones.” The voice explained, keenly aware of each of my powers, in ways that I wasn’t. It was me, but the unrestricted, unrestrainable aspect of myself that was fully aware of each of the powers lurking within me. 

“And so… Somehow even ‘Worldmind’ isn’t one of the big ones?” I asked, rhetorically. A small part of me was excited, but also scared. With “Worldmind” I could alter reality with thoughts, and even create both beings of thought as well as espers, people with extrasensory abilities. If that wasn’t the most spectacular ability nestled deep within my divine soul… I shuddered at the possibilities of the powers within me. 

But before I could delve into the potent powers lurking within my heart and my unconscious mind, I heard someone shout my name. I saw an employee behind the kiosk about to repeat my name, and before he could I got up and walked over to him, ignoring the information that I learned via visual psychometry about the food court employee. I gently took my order from him and smiled at him, before sensing the strange, superpowered arrival of someone new behind me thanks to my deific senses. 

When I turned around I saw a figure dressed in a custom-made suit and tie seated exactly where I had been sitting. He was looking at me intently and smiling brightly. Even without my superpowers I would have known he was looking for me specifically. I fearlessly approached him, since I had the ability to learn about something or someone merely by staring at them and I immediately knew that he was a friend, an ally of mine that I just hadn’t met yet. He was not Alphor, but he was an ally and follower of Alphor. 

When I reached him he got up and motioned for me to accompany him. As he did he began to introduce himself.

“Hello young inheritor. My name is Manuel, and I would be thrilled to know yours but I doubt I deserve to be blessed with such holy knowledge.” He explained, speaking sincerely and without a shred of doubt in his mind or voice. He was Manuel Mondragon, and he was a merchant who served Alphor, and now, if I gave him permission, would begin to serve me.

18