Chapter Eighteen: Persuasion
235 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The mayor of Redsville was named Jonathan Summers and he was a busy man. As the mayor of a city with a population that numbered around six hundred thousand people the man found that there was always more work to be done. He was a stern, but fair, and fairly popular mayor with an approval rating of 62%, which given the diverse political makeup of the city was quite impressive. That said, he was not expecting to be interrupted when he was in his secondary office. 

The city hall was a complex labyrinth to navigate, and the truth was that it had been designed that way on purpose. It was supposed to be an intimidating place to visit, not to scare people away but to ensure that visitors followed certain protocols when visiting. The mayor was a man who had a fixation with order and decorum and he liked people setting appointments and talking to his secretary when they came to visit. These new visitors had not done that, instead, they had found his not-so-secret office and caught him off guard. 

Now normally this would have irritated the mayor, but as he stared at the trio he found his anger rapidly fading. All three of them, but the two women especially, were among the most beautiful beings he had ever seen. The young man looked like what Jonathan imagined a physically perfect Hispanic man would look like, while the two women were each almost heartstoppingly beautiful. It was almost physically painful to look at the three of them, but Jonathan wanted to look at them. He wanted to watch them for as long as they'd allow him. Nevertheless, the three did not keep staring at the mayor in silence.

Aside from the eager words spoken by Titania the first person to speak to the mayor was the young man. Right before he began to speak, his eyes shifted from being a soft brown to being an unnatural shade of gold, and he activated one of his powers. 

"Mayor Summers, it is so nice to meet you." The young man said, with surprising humility. He had a deep voice that suited his appearance since he looked like what the mayor imagined a super-soldier might look. He was a bit on the more lithe side for such a creature, but he had the height and the thickness of muscle to be considered such a being, even before things like the fact that he had the "Absolute Condition" and "Leviathan" powers nestled within his soul.


"Absolute Condition" was a potent power that granted the young god total and utter control over his body and the forces he exerted. With it, he was the undisputed master of himself on even a conceptual level, capable of exerting universe-destroying force with a gentle tap, and he could resist attacks that could annihilate pleniverses without even a scratch.

"Leviathan" was a similar power which was the "Pinnacle Power" of a set of superpowers that focused on enhancing the body and mind without overtly changing either of them. With "Leviathan", Antonio could focus and expand his senses to the point where he could hear conversations on the other side of the planet, he could fly at speeds that infinitely surpassed the speed of light, and he could manipulate force itself in ways so as to render himself totally immune to physical attacks and even do things like see quantum strings connecting all of reality around him.


"Umm... Hello, may I know your names?" The mayor asked me a second after I told him it was nice to meet him. I chuckled, and for a moment considered activating something like "Emanation" and thus automatically allowing him to learn more identity. That said that was the more direct route here so I did what felt like more fun. 

"Haha, of course! Sorry, I'm a Redsville native and I've been a longtime fan of your method of doing things." I explained, before taking a step back and preparing for how I was going to introduce myself. The mayor smiled at me as I considered how to go about this. 

"Well, I'm Antonio Lopez. I'm a student at the University of North Carolina at Redsville, and I just wanted to come in and introduce myself." I explained with a broad, happy smile on my face. He then turned to my two companions and waited for them to introduce themselves. Unsurprisingly Titania began to speak almost as soon as he did this. 

"Hello! I'm Titania Lopez. I'm his wife." She explained, proudly, which caused the man's eyes to widen. I chuckled at her introduction but didn't contradict her because it wasn't inaccurate even if it was a touch on the dramatic side. 

"You're... His wife? Wow..." He replied, even as he slid back. There was a look of astonishment on his face, but weirdly enough he wasn't all that shocked. If I had to guess it's because Titania and I were both divine beings and we were both dazzlingly beautiful to look at. That said, the bluntness of her delivery also no doubt affected the man's reception to her words. Imani, a second later, also chimed in. 

"I'm Imani Abara. I am a worshiper of Antonio's." She revealed, as casually as Titania revealed that she was my wife. Her voice was also proud and beautiful, much like Titania's was. That said, instead of reacting with shock the mayor simply turned to look at her and smile. 

"You're... a worshiper of his? Is he a god?" The man asked, with a witty and proud smile on his lips. It seemed that he was adaptive because he was taking this news with remarkable humor. Imani, however, did not respond with humor and instead honestly nodded back at the mayor. 

"Yes, he is. He is the last true god, a member of a species of beings known as the Living Gods." She explained, honestly and accurately, but to someone who was admittedly quite a skeptical sort. 

"Hmm... So you're a cult leader?" The mayor asked, turning to face me with an amused smile on his face. I was still for a second and then began to nod as I considered the fact that he was not wrong. 

"I mean it's not a flattering description, given the things that humans consider 'Cults', but you aren't wrong. And very importantly... Neither is Imani." I responded, with a soft smile on my face. This caused the facial expression of Mayor Summers to change subtly as he considered my words. 

"I am an attentive man Mr. Lopez. I heard how you said the word 'Humans'. Do you consider yourself... separate from 'us' humans?" He asked, his eyes narrowing into thin, judgmental slits. I nodded at him honestly and decided to prepare a demonstration of my skills. 

"I was never human Mr. Summers. But I am also a man of action. The actions themselves might be subtle, they might be indirect, but they are actions nonetheless." I explained, with a sincere smile on my face. 

"Hand me a pencil, Mr. Summers." I added, a second later. His eyes relaxed a second later and the look on his face shifted from one of curious judgment into one of an amused, condescending adult. He looked around the desk and quickly found a pencil, which he placed in front of me.

I studied the mundane object for a second, and my psychic abilities caused me to learn everything the pencil had signed. I knew about all of the forms that the thing had been used on, and laughed as I learned that it was the pencil he used to fill out personal forms such as various divorce-related papers. I then targeted the thing with one of my favorite, but least used powers "Ex Nihilo". 

The pencil began to turn into dust, disintegrating before the very eyes of the mayor causing him to watch in shock as I erased the object from reality. That was not the only way I could have done that, but it was the most fun and the most decisive. 

"That... What was that?!" He asked, now clearly unnerved. A pile of dust was now exactly where the pencil had been. I smiled proudly as I looked at him. 

"That was me proving my point. I am a god. You'll find that I prefer not to be as overt as the gods of your species's mythologies tended to be, but I am every bit as powerful as they are." I explained, happily. The mayor was now staring at me openly. 

"I... You can't be serious." He stated, bluntly, as he attempted to rationalize what he had just seen. I could sense his mind twisting and turning in knots as he worked to make sense of the weirdness he had just witnessed. 

"I am perfectly serious. As serious as a heart attack." I told him, a witty smile on my face as I spoke with perfect confidence. 

"I know things, Mr. Summers. I know things about you. I know your most secretive dreams and your worst nightmares. The kind of dreams you reminisce about, years later, and the sorts of nightmares that plague your waking mind for years. I know your fears, your hopes, your dreams." I explained with ease, as I stretched my hand and pointed it to the left of the mayor.

A second later a glowing silhouette appeared next to the man, a silhouette that had the basic shape of a human being. Mr. Summers turned to look at it, his eyes filling with awe as he gazed at the strange being. The creature outstretched an arm and put it on the man's shoulders, before gently squeezing him. 

"It... It is true..." He realized as he stared up at the silhouette whose powerful hand was softly squeezing his shoulder. I looked up at the silhouette and smiled softly. 

"Yes, yes it is. And Mr. Summers, I have some good news for you." I informed him, all while smiling at the silhouette. Those words caught his ear and he turned to look at me, now energized by the revelations I had revealed. 

"I have plans for Redsville. Plans which involve you, and other influential people throughout the city." I teased, my eyes softening as I spoke. He gazed at me, awe and curiosity mixing in his gaze. 

"Antonio... How do I factor into your plans?" He asked. I closed my eyes and activated another potent power of mine. This time the power I was activating was "Emanation" which manifested in the form of potent, surreal lights which filled the room. They did not reflect my beauty, this time, but rather reflected my serenity and my wisdom, traits of mine which I valued quite highly. 

The man, as well as my wife and my high priestess, gazed at the surreal, bright blue lights that filled the room around me. As they did their minds filled with an awareness of my divine intelligence, intelligence which was passively boosting even my most idle and spur-of-the-moment thoughts. My plans were touched by and altered by my passive, ever-increasing intelligence. 

"Why, Mayor Summers, you're gonna be one of the more important figures in this town. A vital friend and ally." I explained, cryptically. He was, nevertheless, enthralled by the powers I possessed, even passively. 

"I fully plan to keep you working, in any position you want, for the rest of your very long life. If you want to be mayor for life, I'll make it happen. If you want to be a senator, that's well within the realm of possibility in a few years. Hell, you could even be the president, if you were willing to be patient." I added, a potent smile on my lips. This caused his eyes to widen in reverential awe as he considered the weight of my words and the implications of what I was dangling in front of him. 

"And now that you're a believer... All I need to know is what you want." I told him, grinning evilly as I did. Power suited me. 

"My... my lord, if you know as much as you know, why do you need me to say anything?" He asked, curiously. Imani grew angry at his remarks and stepped forward in fury, before I rose a hand. 

"Don't question our master!" She hissed, but I silenced her with a stern look. 

"It's fine Imani. Humans ask questions. It's part of why I like them. And Mayor Summers," I said, turning to face the mayor again. "There is power in words. If you are willing to speak about your desires, to give voice to them, and to share them with me, I am willing to help you achieve them. In exchange for worship and service, of course." I told the man, causing him to relax. 

"I see. Thank you, my lord." He said, humbled by my willingness to answer his questions. I relaxed, though I had been well aware that he would ask me that. He leaned back in his chair and considered what to say in response to my query. 

4