Chapter 11- mysterious elder
989 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up feeling energized like a breeding bull. The light of the setting sun lit my room orange. It seems I slept for quite some time; I unwillingly got away from the comfort that is the bed and went outside my room.

I should visit the martial hall; Hong Lin is already a step ahead of me. If I continue to postpone, he will leave me behind. I passed his room and went straight for the martial hall. This, unlike the mission hall, is easy to spot due to its sheer size and grandeur. A picturesque drawing of two figures sizing each other in their various stances greets me on an enormous maroon double door. An old man that I assume to be an elder lazily sits on a small mat with his wrinkly eyes closed. Is he cultivating? Can he sense my presence? For some time, I stood and silently sized him up.

"Boy, do you want something?" His groggy voice jolted me out of the stupor, but strangely, he still had his eyes tight. Is he trying to act mysterious and aloof? There is no reason for him to have his eyes closed, at least none that I know of. 

"Excuse me, senior, I have come to pick up a martial technique," I adjusted my tone to show politeness and didn't forget to cup my fist.

"So you're one of the new disciples?" The elder took some time to answer me, and finally, his eyes shot open. His gaze is that of a ferocious tiger, stalking its prey under the cover of a thick thicket or that of a mass murderer after a successful village slaughter. I think I prefer them shut, I steeled myself, and even though his eyes are fierce and unpleasant to look at, I didn't waver. I retaliated with my fiercest look. Even tigers are born as cute little kittens.

"Hahaha... good kid, I like your spirit. Others would have long kowtowed and called me their master," the elder raised his white sword brow in surprise before saying. His eyes then wandered to my waist, where my identification talisman is located. I pulled it and gave him a closer look, "You're indeed a new one," he then shut his eyes, causing me to heave a sigh of relief. "Do you know what type of spiritual roots you unlocked?" He asked, and I furrowed my brows at the strange term, "if you don't know, then insert your qi in this thing." Somehow the old man didn't make a move, but a globe came floating to me.

This thing again? To open meridians, they used a globe now to test my roots. Are they also using a globe? Do they like globes this much, or do they not have an alternative? Nonetheless, I inserted my qi as instructed to avoid being a nuisance, but the globe didn't glow, contrary to my expectation. It registered no movement or difference, causing worry too well up in my heart.

"It seems you have no roots," the old man nonchalantly said. I looked at him with anticipation, hoping he would continue with an explanation. Even though his eyes are tightly closed, I'm positive he can still see me. "Don't worry, that just means you will be a multi-law user but a master of none," I remained silent, hoping for more. "Spiritual roots determine what law you will be most suitable to use; fire, water, earth, wood, and wind. So far, you have awakened none or none that this old ball can record." I gained a little understanding from his words. For Hong Lin to freely manipulate fire, does that mean his fire roots? 

"Since you have no roots, your choice isn't limited. You can select any technique from the five categories," the old man then went silent, and I took that as a cue to step inside. I was immediately greeted by towering shelves filled with books of all kinds, my movement stopped, and for a moment, I was overwhelmed by the grand sight of the massive information before me. Can I take them all? Can I even take them all? The elder didn't give me any instructions, but even if they said to carry all I can, I wouldn't be able to unless I have something that could help me... hehe. 

I rubbed my palms together like a resting fly and maniacally laughed like a deranged lunatic in my mind. I approached the first shelf that was near me. A black plaque with the symbol of water loosely hangs just beside the shelf. I ignored it and fished out a blue book from the shelf. A vivid drawing of a shark is displayed on the cover. The beast has razor-sharp teeth beared out and a ferocious glint on its menacing eyes.

Trying to open the book led me to my first barrier; the book can't open. I gritted my teeth and thought about using my full strength, but I calmed down after rationalizing that my full force could rip the book apart. I put back the book and picked another, but the same happened, I tried another, and another and another... after a while, I almost grew mad. That damn elder should have said something. I rested my back on the shelf and contemplated if I should ask the elder for help.

Just as I was about to go, I thought of something. Should I try inserting my qi in them? Most of the things related to cultivation are related to qi. I picked a book and unsurely poured my qi into it. Success. The book was immediately coated in a blue glow. The glow then coalesced into a thin light and shot for my head; right at the glabella. The light penetrated my glabella, and a stream of information filled my mind.

The information was on how to control my qi and combine it with the invisible water globules in the atmosphere to generate a powerful water blade. I marveled at discovering how to use the books, but I felt something was missing, like the information in my mind is incomplete. 

I replaced the book with another and inserted my qi into it. The process wasn't different from the first one, but I still encountered unfinished information. After going through more books, I concluded that; incomplete information should be a mechanism set to prevent people from learning everything. What would stop me from doing the same to all others if I could learn every bit of information, a technique entailed? After that conclusion, I rummaged through the library to locate a book that best fits my style.

"I'll have to go with this," I settled on one book that I thought stood out from the rest. It is a book on the wind element side. Theoretically, it should allow me to influence my qi with the wind. Feeling satisfied, I walked out of the hall. I discarded the thought of stealing more books and storing them in the small world as you never know who is watching; that plus, if the old man had a way of counting the number, I would be discovered at an instant and labeled as scum.

"Ho...you didn't take an extra? And here I was thinking you would after seeing the expression on your face earlier," at the door, the elder directly told me, causing goosebumps to well up on my skin. I was right not to take more; otherwise...

"Elder, I will return it after I'm done," I announced, but the elder insisted on acting out his aloof and mysterious persona. I left him, but I think I heard him murmur incoherently behind my back. After arriving at the courtyard, I rushed to my room, eager to learn a martial technique. 

Earth grade; first stage, feel the wind...

Opening the book, endless information filled my mind. I then learned that the technique has three stages, and each stage has accomplishments divided by levels; beginner, minor, major, perfection. Right now, I'm a beginner...perfection will be after I learn to fully and freely induce my attacks with wind. I entered into a meditative stance and started to comprehend the wind element.

****

After some time of diligently comprehending, I was able to get a glimpse of the wind element. The book doesn't only teach about the wind element. It teaches qi control too. To comprehend the wind, I have to start from within; I have to unleash my qi without concentrating. It has to be as easy as breathing. I can't say how good my progress is compared to others, but I think I'm starting off well. I can release my qi to a few meters and still maintain perfect control. As for the wind element, I have already started to feel the naughty wind globules.

Right now, I feel exhausted to continue comprehending, as unsurprisingly, it is very mentally taxing. I should see how that flower is doing, then go and train my attacks; it has been some time since I planted the virility-enhancing flower. If there's an issue, then I should discover it by now. I ensured the door was locked and disappeared to the small world.

What I saw made me flabbergasted, the small stalk sprouted into two? I moved in for a closer look and observed the tiny sprouting stalk just beside the main one; it is actually real! I felt the sprouting plant to make sure I wasn't under an illusion. Does time move faster in this place, or does the soil contain some sort of growth-enhancing property? I will have to test that out. For now, let me enjoy this new discovery.

***

I need to find more stones to power the stele. After some time, I was forcefully ejected from the small world; it seemed to sustain me. I have to offer it energy. If I don't provide energy, then my time becomes limited and restricted. For now, I'm still waiting for the guard to come back with either good news or bad news. I shrugged off the troublesome thoughts and went outside to train.

I selected a stone once outside and aimed my qi at it.

*Bang!*

The stone shattered into fine particles after the qi contacted, it is this powerful? My hands trembled as a result of my attack. To do that to a stone, doesn't this mean flesh doesn't stand a chance? I didn't think qi was this powerful. How powerful will it be after I enhanced it with the wind element? I shuddered at the possibilities, but soon, I thought of a possible problem. If I can do this, so can others. I expelled the looming worry and thought of preventing the same fate as that of the stone. If an attack technique exists, defensive once should also exist. I'll just have to search or ask the elder about them once I return the book.

"Jiang Ming, let's spar," Hong Lin creeped out from the shadows and said. My lips curled into a smile; he came just at the right time when I needed to check on how powerful I am compared to others.

"I'll give you the first attack."

Don't forget to favorite


14