6. The Lady of The House
214 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

After the meeting, Emilia brought Sterne upstairs to rest.

On the bed with eyes closed, she looked at the girl staying still in her cocoon of blankets. Emilia did not sense anything off, she looked as if she had obediently fallen asleep. She had no idea however that as soon as she blew the candles and closed the doors the 'cocoon' on the bed wriggled energetically and poked her tiny head out. 

Sterne snickered and opened her eyes wide.

"And what is the meaning of this?" Emilia who was standing on the side of the bed said ominously. 

Seeing the deadpan look of her handmaid made Sterne scream in fright. "Emi~ you scared me!" 

"I knew you were up to something." Emilia sighed, "Milady, it's already very late. You need to rest." 

She pouted but Emilia wouldn't budge. 

"You had a long day today. Whatever it is you want to do, leave it for tomorrow. Good night, milady."

Once again, she let herself be tucked into a pupa.  

"Night Emi," she replied weakly. 

Guess there is no helping it. Sterne momentarily closed her eyes waiting for Emilia's footsteps to fade. When she made sure she was gone, she opened them again. 

[Herald's Eyes] 

Activation condition: Blink. 

Range: Infinite

Description: Blessing endowed by the Herald of Creation. Truth seeker. An ability encompassing all creation. To perceive what was hidden.  

The eyes itself were already enough cheat, what about the rest given to her? First, Sterne wanted to understand to what extent she could see things by concentrating. 

[Lost Recipe]

A cornucopia of knowledge from an ancient civilization. 

A series of words floated in her field of vision in an orderly manner. The most convenient thing was whenever there is something she needs to view specifically, the answer comes right away. Like the information about the Regen Solution for example. She tried doing the same for other treasures, the advanced magical formations for one. Although the answer came as soon as she conjured the question. Her current level does not meet the requirement to be able to try her hands on them. 

It was sad but the most amazing thing to experience at the same time. I must say, Herald, you gave me such an entertaining gift.

While there are formulas that she can easily access, there are more profound things hidden deep within the Lost Recipe and every time she attempts to extend her consciousness to reach it, a force would forcibly pull her back. She then realized that those were not to be touched unless she finished studying the patterns tailored by the blessing for her.

Sometimes, she wonders if the Lost Recipe is a conscious being. How could it arrange itself in a way that would match her current strength? It's not that she was complaining but it leaves her in awe. 

Sterne's only worry is that, how long will it take until she could progress to the next step? There are practically hundreds if not tens of patterns nearby that she needed to decipher.

Feeling a bit frustrated, she decided to take her studies up a notch by picking the readily available ones in front of her.

"This one is good…" 

Utilizing a [Rune Ore] or magical stone's potential. 

The idea about fiddling with this one was merely a coincidence. She caught a glimpse of the Behemoth's rune ore when the knights unlatched the box where it was kept. A stone about the size of an adult human's head and has veins of purplish light streaming from it.

Rune ore. A power source that can be processed as a barrier and ward for monsters lower than the original bearer. 

Hm, that means any monster below SS-rank cannot get past it. 

The stone has to be broken to fist size chunks and placed inside a magic circle that connects to a matrix of spells.  

Magic circle is a catalyst or a switch that can open the rune ore's sealed power. If you write the correct script (chant) and command for the barrier spell, mana will flow into the so-called circuits that will activate and create a matrix. Hence a barrier is formed.

Sounds easy?

Dividing the rune ore will roughly make four fist size lumps. It's not that she had been aiming for it, it's just that the Lost Recipe revealed its tantalizing benefit or so Sterne told herself. 

The Nachtwald Duchy stretches for another four hundred miles composed of five towns. A wall made of stone forming a C inwards separates the territory and Sleeping Forest. At every one hundred mile distance a bastion is built where the knight guards stay for lookout duty. If the rune ore were to be divided for each bastion then connect them with circuits of spells, a barrier will appear reinforcing that feeble old one a hundredfold.

It's effect will be unimaginable. They wouldn't have to be in a constant panic every time the Monster Tide arises.

The duchy suffers from periodic monster attacks being so close to Sleeping Forest. Every time they manage to get past the old walls the same tragedy repeats houses destroyed, crops damaged and animals ravished to the last bone.  

The Lord Duke's first priority had always been his subjects, that was why knights first evacuated people inside the town walls rather than secure the buildings. When the gong sounds, it is time to pack up to hide.

Sterne very much wanted to help lessen everybody's burden. She did not want to stay inside the estate and hide anymore. This time for sure, she will do something. She promised herself. 

Unbeknownst to everyone in Nachtwald, this year ought to have the most horrible monster tide. 

Beyond the walls, miles away to the deepest part of the Sleeping Forest, horde after horde of monsters gathered at the fallen Behemoth's feet. The carcass stood silently, even in death it towered above all. Beneath the silken ray of the moon, the monsters madly growled and howled with joy.

At last, they can finally cross without fearing the gargantuan being. The oblivious creatures beyond the boundary, this time they will taste their full wrath.

It was an upcoming tragedy that none of the people knew…   

Life in the border has always been difficult, thankfully, the people of the fief have steely resolve. Even when many have long left and moved, plenty still remained to keep the vast land going.

Sterne let out a tired yawn. Ah… so sleepy. Let's think about it later.

That night she had an interesting and horrifying dream. A dream about discoveries and war.

 

"Kill him… kill the Black Knight…"

A tall man clad in a magnificent black armour fell to his knees. As the crimson flame blazed outside, the floor was dyed red with his blood. The roar of great beasts echoed and struck terror to the hearts of men. The only hope they have now barely clung to life as both arrows and swords pierced his body.

"W-Wake up my king… do not let the trickster control you…"

It was a feeble desolate voice thick with pleading. The shadow of a valiant man waning, what remains of it is the last vestige of sheer willpower.

"Silence! Your insolence will no longer be tolerated!"

A cold vicious voice cut through the conversation.

"The blood of people has been spilt… the forest is restless. Enough already."

"The prophecy is the only thing that is true."  

The prophecy? A false oracle from a trickster intent on plunging the land into a sea of fire.

"The Gods weep. You discarded your faith and let the trickster fool you."

"Gods weep?" One man spoke derisively. "They don't even have eyes to see your suffering!"

The Black Knight pleaded but again was met with a heavy voice of refusal. "Your heathen acts will be cleansed by your blood. The Herald passed the judgment."

The Black Knight, along with his dying words let out a sad smile. This has become of the man he trusted… 

"Is this really for the sake of peace?"

"Peace?" This time, the words are spoken in a whisper. "The moment you refuse to surrender you already cut your chances for peace. Too bad Black Knight, I could have brought more glory to this land. If only you willingly submit… but all is wasted. Since I cannot have it, let me be the one to destroy it."

In Sterne's eyes, the scene of beautiful land was abruptly dyed in crimson to grey ash leaving not a single pulse of life. She was clearly in the throne room just a while back but she was suddenly brought in this place wearing an armor so black and a sword on hand. 

Standing in the middle of the charred ground. Piles and piles of corpses littered near her feet. The acrid scent of smoke burning her lungs and the rotting smell of flesh made her stomach queasy.

What is this...?

Where-- am I?

"Surrender Black Knight!" 

The thunderous declaration shocked her. 

Surrender? An unprecedented wrath filled her heart. 

Be it now or in the future, the same outcome awaits them. A sorrowful laughter burst. With streams of both blood and tears falling on her cheeks, she cursed fate.  

The dream ended but her mind churned as the clashing of swords, the cries of the people and the mad laugh of a lost man slowly sank back to the vast sea of memories…

Sterne woke up with both her hands hanging mid-air. A terrible premonition came to her… the first half of the dream, it must have been from the past. Then the second one was no doubt telling her of the future. A vision so cruel and sad.

"Aghh…"

Abruptly she grabbed her head as stinging pain seized her.  

Someday the tragedy will repeat. Pushing herself up from the bed, she quickly rummaged through her writing table and dipped the quill to the inkpot. Hurry, before she completely forgets. Too many things to consider, she mustn't neglect!

After several minutes, four pages of rough paper was filled with scribbles and ink blots. Sweat formed at the tip of her nose, her right hand smeared with black but she paid no mind to that and started reading as her muddled head became clearer.

When she put down the paper, the terrible feeling came back again. A few years from now, Aurum Kingdom will fall.

 

***

 

Outside, after the little lady and everyone else has fallen asleep, a change is slowly taking place. 

Beneath the dry soil, under layers of rocks, sand and mud. To the deepest part, inside a tiny cavern lies a dying golden core of the duchy. The life vein of the land. A flickering light about to wane.

From the stalactites, a single drop of liquid came dealing the final blow snuffing the minuscule flame. The whole cavern returned to darkness.

The sound of dripping water was the only thing that could be heard.  

Until suddenly, light returned once again. Stronger, fiercer this time it was scorching. The orb emitted a strange ray similar to a newborn golden core of ancient times. Filaments of light hit the cavern walls burrowing deep, extending for miles and miles beyond.

Below the desolate Nachtwald, a fire burned so hotly recharging the stagnant life vein of the land, and none of its people had noticed until the next day.

 

Note: this happens before Duke Al went to see her sleeping.

 

11