21. Nights In The Outpost
113 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

She could have done better. 

Knowing that her recklessness had thrown her knights into panic, Sterne couldn't help but severely castigate herself. She was too eager to take action without considering the ramifications. The knights continued to assure her hadn't allowed the guilt inside her to improve.  

"I'm sorry, it was I who caused it. I should've consulted you from the beginning…"

The Obsidian came closer while Freiin rubbed her shoulders gently. Dorn dug out a piece of candy from his pocket but soon found out it already melted. Forget about giving it, it may just drive her to a new bout of crying. His shoulders sank and threw his somewhat helpless gaze afar. 

"No, it should be our fault for losing composure in the presence of a sacred beast." Captain Legrand said gently. "You have done nothing wrong, it is our duty to protect you and the incident is only one of the many that may come in the future. As your knights, it is our responsibility to face dangers before it reaches you."

She shook her head like a rattle as streams of translucent tears continue to pour down from those silvery eyes. Captain felt helpless against it. 

It’s easy to manage naughty children, a few flicks here and there would make them settle. But how do you coax a particularly sweet one?

Freiin also added, "If you still feel uncomfortable about it then just take it as a lesson so that it may never happen again. But as the captain said, it is our duty to protect you so allow us to serve with the best of our abilities." 

"This won’t happen again. I had completely ignored the difference of strengths between us and invited the gryphon carelessly. Forgive me for causing everyone to panic."

Several pairs of puzzled eyes turned to her. It was her guilt that turned her into a sobbing mess, that and the fear of estrangement once she admitted her fault. She liked the knights’ company and it was the fear of losing their friendship that made her apprehensive. The warm relationship she won over the years. When the gap in social status forced them to respect and cherish her, she earned their genuine feelings with her candor after she interacted with them. Sterne treats them the same as her brothers and they deserve an apology because what she did nearly cost them their lives. 

The knights who knew of her fear tried to cheer her up. "There is nothing my lady can do that will upset the rest of us."

"An up close and personal look of the sacred beast is a tale that must be told to future generations."

"If anything, it is our honor to see it." Captain Legrand said solemnly. 

"What happened was the result of our complacency. After the defeat of the Behemoth we nearly neglected that there are far more stronger beings within Sleeping Forest. This is, in fact, a good wake up call." 

"You see milady, no one here thinks that you have done something wrong." Dorn patted her shoulder. "You worry too much for such a little girl— oh, what happened to your nose?"

Sterne blinked and her fingers came up automatically to touch her nose.  She had been crying for a while making it runny. Freiin extracted a kerchief from her pocket and dabbed her face hurriedly. She couldn't bear seeing the matte of mud and blood mixed with snot and tears anymore. The knights may be blind, but this appearance was simply hideous. She looks like a beggar that dove on the mud!

Thanks to the interruption her crying was halted. 

"Sterne, it's alright. Take a deep breath." Freiin softly patted her head. 

On their way back to the outpost, she began recounting the meeting with the gryphon while she was in the cavern. Most of them had a brief look of surprise but afterwards, they smiled.

"I see…" Freiin mused. 

"Meeting it is a sign of good fortune. Milady’s lovely face must not be stained with such anguished tears."

"There will be no next time. It was simply a disgrace to make the one we serve cry!" 

"Never in my life did I expect to meet an ancient beast. That one was truly unlike any other, it had my stomach turning the entire time."

Another knight nodded, "I am ashamed to admit this but my knees gave in. I was rolling on the ground the entire time and could barely manage myself."  

"I don't blame you at'll." Dorn grinned. "Nearly soiled the trousers m'self." 

The men shot him with a look of disgust followed by peals of laughter and playful jeers.

"So it was 'that' gryphon." The captain nodded. "It was our first time feeling its presence. Safe to say that it went home now?"

Sterne nodded her head vigorously trying to shake off the picture of Dorn soiling his pants.

"That magical energy might have been suppressed but the surplus still leaked out." Freiin said in awe. 

To think that such a beast would turn to Lady Sterne for help. The knights were in awe. 

"Wait," Dorn, looking very confused, turned to Freiin, "do you know that monster?"

For that, he got a knock on the head from Captain Legrand. Freiin rolled her eyes at him.

"Insolence! Do not compare the sacred gryphon to a lowly monster, you clod. I'll have you know, the Nachtwald's crest is adorned by its figure."

"If it is sacred as you say, then why did it get poisoned?"

The captain heaved a sigh and explained patiently to the thirteen year-old. "The subjugation of the Behemoth three years ago was near their home. Females and the young are usually susceptible to poison that is why they do not leave the security of their mountain. These creatures would never show themselves to any mortals unless of course there is mutual trust. In order to drive it away, the Lord Commander had to lure Behemoth back to its nest."

"How? The Behemoth is not some average monster, it was enormous according to the record."

Captain heaved another very patient sigh. "The Behemoth was very territorial, there is only one effective method."

"Such as…?"

"To lure it back, we ransacked its nest."

Simple as that, Captain Legrand had a lovely serene smile on his face. Even Dorn with his frequent dullness felt the danger of pestering him further.

"We came across the same class of beast and nearly got flattened. Even when the gryphon meant no harm, the result was still the same. We failed." 

"The Lord Commander would surely lop our heads if we put the lady in danger once again." Dorn shuddered.

"The Lord Commander, better than Sir Ahmose, would understand." Freiin added with horror.

The knights collectively stopped moving and touched their necks. 

Oh God, the girl had a point there. Duke Al can be reasoned with. Suffice you explain the situation from beginning to end. However, Sir Ahmose is a different matter. Aside from being his disciples, their squad was formed especially to protect her ladyship due to the incident three years ago when she received her blessings. Meaning, they have gone ten times the training than any regular Obsidian soldier. 

The old man will come after them with a rusted knife. 

As Griffin's story settled down, Sterne and the knights continued to trudge the trail towards the outpost located in the craggy side of the safe zone. They walked from the prairie then entered a small woodland and after three hours of travel a small fort nestled on the side of a rocky mountain came into view. 

Sterne breathed a sigh of relief when they arrived. It had been days since they last went here, she secretly brought Regen Solution with her just in case one of them got into an accident but the medicine on the tiny pouch that was supposedly meant for the squad was given to the sacred beast. Thankfully none of them got into an accident and she fervently hopes the gryphon's family recovers. 

Another thing that she had to carefully think over was the people of Iron Bulls.

Dorn gave her a wide smile. "Rest assured, they will not be doing any mischief from here on."

Of course, they won't be. Those five are already on their way to a very nice place. Dare to touch their lady? They'd be lucky to be granted instant death, who told them to sneak in the Order and display their dirty tricks out in the open?

First, they tried pushing her off the lake. If not for the baker's son who came just in time to grab her she could have drowned. That damn baker's smelly boy is now being treated nicely by the young lady. Next was the attempted poisoning, they tried masking it well by putting the drug in her failed cookies, too bad for them a certain glutton of a knight snatched one and sampled it and almost kicked the bucket. How dare they waste those cookies? They couldn't even bear to throw the dark thing as long as it was from the little lady! Then finally this failed murder. 

Now you've done it well this time…

Not only once but thrice… a hundred lashings and torture are not enough. They need to experience horror as consequences for their crime.

 

That night at the garrison Sterne volunteered to help cook the venison from their hunt. It was hard persuading the Obsidian at first but she is determined to make up for her mistake. Tonight will be grilled venison racks and steak. Excusing herself, the girl marched into the kitchen where a large man in white linen uniform stood along with two lanky boys only a bit older than her.

"I'll be intruding in your kitchen, please take care of me." Sterne greeted shakily as she looked at the hulk of a man in front. 

Mother, the Mr Cook looks more like a Mr Butcher.

"What? A girl? Is the garrison so short on staff that you even pick children randomly now?" The boy with the yellow bandana grumbled.

His companion shrugged, "I don't mind if it's a girl or a boy but her arms are skinny. Bring the little milk bag back to her nanny, I don't want to hear her wailing later on."

"You miserable clods!" Mr Cook bellowed angrily. "The little milk bag ya referring to is Lady Sterne, Lord Commander's little daughter. Do remember that name and face if you wish to live past your current age."

Instead of changing their attitudes, they look more aggrieved.

Badana boy snorted, "Oh, great. A lady. The very last person we need in this place. What is she going to do 'ere, play tea party?"

"You're in the wrong place missy."

Sterne held her ground despite feeling a bit intimidated. Boy, aren't you two too energetic? Who would've known that it's not only soldiers that are fierce, men in the kitchen are much more aggressive! Once you enter their territory they turn rabid. But that just makes them interesting, people who neither balk or curry favour are those who are genuinely dedicated to their craft.

"Zip yer mouths you two and get yer bloomin' arse moving or else I'll string you up inside the storage room and let you dry for a week in there."

"Sir!"

Sterne felt the threat might just come true so she hastened to ease the growing confrontation. "No, it's fine… I'm the one imposing." She said, her face brightening.

The large man is the garrison's head cook Mattia, many says he looks intimidating but his food is good. Duke Al also praised him so. The purpose of her going here is also to test out the two fermented liquid condiments she took from Lost Recipe. The citric aromatic vinegar made from grapes and the black savoury sauce extracted from multiple spices. With these new condiments, they can enhance the flavor of food and begin to improve the eating habits of the people in the territory. 

But first, they have to try it. Combining black sauce, aromatic vinegar, olive oil and tomato puree in a large bowl this will serve as a glaze. The meat will be seasoned with salt and pepper and pre-cooked shortly, then dipped into the glaze and finally on the grill.

"These are some good meat, milady." Mattia said while looking at the venison. "That damn Renault doesn't have the slightest plan on sharing what he learned. I'm glad milady came here."

Is he and the manor cook fighting? Sterne mused. When she gave a cursory glance Sterne saw his eyes burning with intense competitive fire. Cook Renault has advanced his skill and has now a 'Chef' title. His license card changed and he got too overjoyed that his mask of sternness fell off. He excitedly showed it to everyone else in the manor like a giddy boy receiving a present.

Hmm, so this is the crafting skill for people with low magical energy. Cultivating one's own craft has its rewards.

"Tonight's meal, I will give you a walkthrough and later hand you the recipe."

Looking at each other with frowns, the two boys grew curious. Why would a little girl hand in a recipe? Although they were from a common background, they still know that recipes from large households are held as legacy. 

Cook Mattia said, "Bastards, what are you waiting for? The lady will hand us a new recipe. Get your tables and stove ready. Go!"

The two in a state of confusion moved doggedly following the instruction. There in the corner, the two whispered to each other. "You heard Cook, he said she will hand the recipe. Don't tell me… " The freckled boy mumbled.

Bandana boy who was preparing the table neatly remarked, "She could be that 'one'."

"Impossible. How could it be her? She's a little girl!" There was a rumor about the sickly daughter of the duke going around the duchy who loves to make eccentric food out of particularly odd ingredients that eventually changed the entire Nachtwald menu.

They said that the great social divide between commoners and nobles can be first seen on food and clothing. Nobles who are proud will never lower themselves a step below their class but the emergence of food from monsters shocked the whole territory especially when it was popularized by those in the upper class themselves.

What is monster meat? Before the enlightenment, it was considered taboo and unclean that even the lowest of peasants would rather starve than consume them. Suddenly, the exposure of mysterious recipes from the lost era changed everything. It appears that it was them who had forgotten. Monster meat is not unclean as claimed. It contains a vast amount of energy that once sustained their ancestors to longevity and aided to enhance their abilities.  

The one who broke the old belief was the girl who uncovered the secrets. (Duke Al claimed that it was his little daughter who loved to tinker around the old house who found those old scrolls.)

"Will she really share it with us…?" Freckle boy recalled his attitude earlier and was perplexed. 

"I'm not sure but Cook said so."

Sterne saw the two whispering like old gossipy ladies in the corner. Curious, she stepped near their side unwittingly giving them a scare. "Be ready. It's going to be a long battle." was the only thing she said after seeing their look of horror.

I don't eat people. She sighed inwardly.  

"Milady…"

"We apologize for our attitude earlier!"

Baffled by their abrupt change, Sterne waved her hand off. "There is no need for that since I never took offense in the first place."

Brothers, spare me the manly tears. I don't know how to comfort you!

Minutes after preparation they began prepping the meat by seasoning them with salt and pepper. Leaving the glaze to Mattia, she asked Bandana Boy to heat the large flat pan.

"The rest are placed in the freezing room to be delivered to the market but who will dismantle these monsters?"

"Ah, that would be me as well. Although I look like this, I was a former adventurer from Gran Crux Kingdom. I have both a cooking and dismantling license."

"My, th-that's an advanced level of skill." Sterne could not hide the awe in her voice when she realized that Cook Mattia is multi-talented. Her eyes were literally shining when looking at the giant man.  

Hit by that extra bright smile, Cook Mattia rubbed his nape sheepishly. "Oh well since I can't use magic, I have been relying on my sword for a long time but when I got weary of being an adventurer I took another path. For us masses, there is no limit to acquiring basic crafting skills. As long as we do not yet find our one true love."

Bandana Boy listened attentively while searing the meat on both sides to seal the juices and flavour, next Sterne instructed Freckles to dip the seared meat into the glaze.

For the grilling, she left it all to Mattia since she doesn't know what the individual knights like in their steak.

For the past half hour, the four of them are searing, dipping and grilling the venison.

"One true love?"

Cook Mattia smiled. "A craft where we can immerse ourselves into for the rest of our lives. Just like that Renault."

Now she understands. Sterne thought Chef Renault was just peculiar because his head was only filled with food-related things, he simply found what he loves. What a faithful man.

"What about Mattia?"

That soft faraway look was his answer. While we were talking the aroma of the glaze and the fat of meat wafted in the whole kitchen, split to the corridors and out to the large hall. Since the four of them are smelling the food point blank, their mouths watered uncontrollably.   

*GULP*

"Sorry, that was me." The big man said with his cheeks dyed red.

Before they realized it the kitchen door was already blockaded by a number of hungry soldiers. She may have seen Dorn's red-orange hair flickering somewhere at the back. The mess hall was large enough to fill two hundred men but since half of them were out for subjugation, the area appears particularly large and relaxed at the moment. 

"It's here, it's here!"

The excited commentary from the Obsidian earned the attention of those adventurers who came to rest, making Sterne scratch her head. These men, aside from swords, the second best thing they are good at is perhaps eating.  They can demolish several pots in minutes! She shrunk small on her seat wondering if what was in the kitchen would be enough to fill their stomach. It was a good thing that Freiin was sitting along with her, calming the embarrassment a little.

"I've been looking forward to this ever since I was stationed outside the fief. You have no idea how I missed food exclusive only to Nachtwald… such fat and juicy meat."

"I heard milady is here!"

"Milady?" An adventurer asked curiously. 

"That little girl over there. Duke Al's daughter." 

"Coming home after patrolling in the northern fiefs is such a bliss especially when one is being welcomed with food like this."

"True, true, food here is simply unmatched. Not even top restaurants in some territories can compare to ours."  

The mess hall was in a frenzy for some time with the Obsidian clamoring to eat and the adventurers asking questions one after another. Sterne tried looking at Freiin to seek a little comfort but she found that the other girl was immersed in the gossip. Dorn has forgotten about her existence and drowned himself in spargel, mashed potatoes and grilled Stone Deer meat.

The dinner progressed with a jubilant mood coupled with the soldiers' hearty appetite wiping away that afternoon's tense mood. It is to say that Sterne's first task in Sleeping Forest was a success. However, a cloud of gloom came over the captain's eyes. Aside from those Iron Bulls, who else out there aimed to hurt Lady Sterne?

All her life she stayed inside Nachtwald territory. Aside from the townsfolk, the merchants and soldiers she had no other interactions. Besides, her secret from three years ago has never leaked. He is certain of it.

A slight crease marred his smooth forehead.

"Milady," Bandana Boy who had been silent prompted. Sterne momentarily forgot he and Freckles were seated in front of her. "To get this rare chance to sample your cooking is truly an honour."

After almost an hour of spending time with the little lady in the kitchens, the most important thing they learned about her is that she is very generous and engaging. 

Sterne turned to them with a secretive smile. What cooking? I only handed out the recipe. Which part of me did you see cook?

Freckles followed. "After hearing what you and Cook Mattia said I have also decided, I am going to pursue the path of food as well. I was inspired after seeing the soy sauce and aromatic vinegar."

"Are you certain about this?" She asked. 

"We'll be at your service Lady Sterne."

With a bright smile on their face, Sterne accepted their offer. Why it's hard to do all this alone. Condiments are delicate items and backbreaking to make, there are still a lot of sauces that needed to be made and she could always use a couple of hands or more.

7