30. Bad Guys and The New Playmate
78 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Dorn is about to leave the headquarters when a message was relayed to him.

A suspicious individual has entered Nachtwald with the goal of kidnapping female children. Moreover, he is disguising himself as a lackey of a wealthy aristocrat to easily intimidate his targets.

Phantom is currently tracing his tracks before he arrived at the fief. The job of monitoring this person now falls on his squad.

About time. He is starting to get moldy from waiting for a mission. He set off quickly to find the kidnapper's nest.

 

Emilia, on the other hand, hurried back to fetch her lady from Golden Leaf but the girl left already. According to the information she got from a trusted friend, the kidnapper's background is not as easy to confront. Toad, the name he is known for, has a master serving as an officer in the Mythril Order of Knights. Contrary to what he said earlier that he has some connections with the Justice Bureau.

The said master has two trusted aides by his side but they are most likely tasked in protecting him rather than do manual labour like Toad. One is a hulk of a seven-foot-tall man in contrast to his partner, who is a willowy youth with a docile face. The real problem however is…   

"There's a report of those two entering Nachtwald early this morning. It wasn't even half a day but your enemy has already multiplied." Her friend said alerting every cell in her body. "Do you need a hand? Lonely Maiden will be more than happy to cooperate."

"I've already troubled you enough by asking for this information. Besides, Phantom is already on the move."

"What, you doubt my skills? I can dig out every bit of dirt any person hides and air them out in the open provided I get permission from my Lord." The friend said proudly. "This one, I'll give to Emilia for free since you're doing it for that adorable little lady of yours. You know I love loyalty more than anything else! So, want my help?"

"No need, just give me a rough estimate. If I move against these two, what are the chances of victory?"

"Forty out of one hundred. Though they rarely move, those people are notorious for finishing their jobs neatly, they also surpass you in years of experience. You will be having a difficult time alone. The good news is that you're not the only one after those kidnappers. Someone from the royal capital commissioned our people for clean up. A huge amount of money was given to have Toad killed. Naturally we will comply, unfortunately for those other victims, the choice this client made will completely absolve the real criminal behind."      

Lonely Maiden is a privately armed force with mysterious origins. They specialize in the collection of information and are known for completing impossible requests. Rumor has it that there must be an influential noble behind it that is why the court never confronted them head on. 

It was purely by luck that she befriended one of its members when she saved his life during a pursuit from an enemy. Later she found out that they have a branch here in Nachtwald with a special permission from the lord.

Whoever they are, Emilia does not aim to dig deeper. As long as she knew they meant no harm to the Obsidian and the lord's family she could put her heart at ease. 

"We're not going to make the same mistake. If your end is satisfied with this kind of work, Phantom is different." Milady wants them all uprooted. Emilia added silently.  

What she finds strange is that they only met the person this morning. Lady Sterne did not even get down the carriage to directly face the man but from her simple request, she did not expect to uncover this huge controversy. It was as if she already knew the person's background beforehand.  

"It's not that we're lazy, we are just complying with the request. But if Miss Emilia finds other ways to apprehend the real criminal naturally we won't stop you."

 

Back to where Dorn is at.

It did not take him a quarter of an hour to locate the place where the kidnapper stays. The room was empty of its owner but it sure is full of clutter. A sack of fancy clothes haphazardly strewn on the couch, a wig and several other articles he did not want to look at. Hell, even a pigsty would look decent. When he checked the stable below, the carriage he uses was still inside. The size can fit six adults and is spacious but only because the interior doesn't have seats. While the outside looks flamboyant and lofty, the inside is shabby.  

Well, it's a vehicle for abduction. Why else would it be suspicious?

He moved around the room checking if there are other useful things they can nab as evidence when a knock sounded.

"Sir, I was asked by the manager to clean up the room. Said you left a note before leaving?" The adolescent voice said from behind the door.

Dorn's first thought is to jump out the window but seeing that it was barred he discarded the idea and frantically searched for a hiding spot but this place is too small and simple not even a beam nor a closet exist.

The teenager on the other side of the room grew impatient and attempted to knock again when the door opened revealing a sleepy-eyed person rubbing his belly. He slightly narrowed his eyes, seeing the person in front slightly different from the description.

He was told Toad is tiny fat man. Who is this guy? 

"You're staying here?"

"Why else would I be here?" Dorn pretended to get annoyed.

"Good. It's you then."

"Huh?"

It was too late to defend from the incoming attack. A heavy fist landed on his solar plexus pushing his insides far back. He vomited the food he had this morning along with the darkening of his surroundings. The meek looking servant boy abruptly changes into a smiling wolf catching him off guard.

"Why did that client have to pay mountains of gold just to have this idiot killed? He can't even defend to save his own life but I admit his disguising skill is somewhat better than expected. To change face to this extent." He shrugged looking at the scattered costumes inside. "Whatever, it can't save you anyway. Lonely Maiden sure has it easy."   

Seeing that no one noticed, the servant boy dropped his act, carried Dorn's unconscious body over his shoulder and entered the room. The bars on the window stood no chance when he bent it to the side allowing him and one body to pass.

 

On the other hand…  

Three times, she almost tripped three times!

Did she accidentally anger the Goddess of Fortune or something? Concluding her business to Omnia Sterne indulged in a leisurely stroll outside when she bumped into a cute porcelain doll. She thought at first that it was such luck that she saw someone so adorable but soon, she found out that what she bumped into is no lady luck but a walking curse and disaster packed in one.

With teary eyes, the girl with silver hair curled under a fancy hat of yellow bows and blue flowers looked at her. She was so pretty Sterne couldn't take her eyes away especially when she batted those long lashes fringing her sparkly aquamarine eyes.

"What seems to be the problem, little miss?" She asked. "Are you lost?"

Little girl nodded her head making those platinum locks sway.

The sweet cinnamon bun barely reached her ear, she looked fragile and helpless like an abandoned baby bird outside the nest. Sterne's heart stirred.     

(≧◡≦) ♡ It's not every day you meet such a cutie. 

"You can tell big sister where you live or where your parents are and I'll accompany you, how's that sound?"  

"Really?" She asked looking up with dependence and hope in those pretty eyes.

Ugh. Critical hit. So cute! She barely contained the urge to squeeze the cinnamon bun.

And so, here she is playing hero to the lost little girl. They walked around the streets, inns and stores following where her slim finger points but nearly an hour passed they still couldn't find the missing parents. Instead, they collected quite a heap of things like toys, snacks and the like.

Honestly, the toys are ugly. An orc head with a hatchet buried complete with red paint as blood was handed to her.

"For you."

"Oh, thank you."

On the next store, she found a gecko made of unknown material that felt absolutely real and disgusting to the touch.

"For you."

"O-Oh… t-thank you."

Sterne felt like dying now. 

Aside from those, there are a few more additions that look fantastically ugly. She had no idea that a delicate girl like her would have such an extreme taste. Her worldview was overturned. Sterne still patiently received them though because she said those are gifts.     

Sterne: I suspect the cutie is making fun of me but I have no evidence… 

"Is the place you're living right now a huge or a small inn?" She asked, holding a segmented wooden snake toy.

After ten minutes of walking…

"Are you sure your parents went that way?"

Too many questions but the little girl did not answer. She was just looking at her blankly, not a hint of comprehension in those lovely eyes the same as she did for the past minutes. Goodness, could this little one possibly be impaired? 

Oh, what tragedy!

Why did her parents let her out when their child has this condition?  

Poor baby. Sterne once again held herself firm. It doesn't matter if her toys were ugly, she needed to deliver this one safe and sound.

"Lady Sterne?" Cecelia called seeing her standing in the middle of a crowded street looking a little fierce. "Are you alright?"

Sterne turned and smiled, "Oh, Cecelia it is you. Alone? Where's Grandpa Haw?"

"Grandpa is inside the Apothecary still talking with the elders." Cecelia replied shyly. "Who's this?"

Sterne snapped to attention. "I don't know. I picked her up in the square in front of Omnia and we have been looking for her parents since."

Picked up? She looked at the girl in fancy clothes holding a bunch of things, a suspicious feeling rising inside Cecelia's chest. The little girl looked at her and narrowed those jewel-like eyes. 

Cecelia: (◯Δ◯∥)

Sure enough, the seemingly innocent girl is not what she appears to be! How did their usually bright young lady get snagged in its claws?  

Feeling the razor-like stare of Cecelia, the pretty one whipped her head to the side with a 'humph'.

Cecelia's eyelid twitched. "Milady, may I suggest turning this lost person to the knights' station nearby? They can easily find her parents, maybe they were already in there looking for the girl."

"I don't want to." The girl frowned and stomped her foot. "I like walking with my big sister." 

In the next moment, the two other girls and the people around were surprised when she jumped and hugged Sterne's neck with a heartbreaking wail. 

Sterne: Σ(゜ロ゜;)

"Huhuhu, does big sister hate me?"

"Erm, it's not like that…"

"You don't want to walk with me anymore? Huhuhu, nobody loves me… I'm so sad."

Batting those big wet eyes incurred pity and love from many. Cecelia on the other hand rolled her eyes up and resisted the urge to vomit to such poor acting. What's even more ridiculous was that her young lady is being led astray! 

"Uh, no… i-it's not like that. It's just that it's dangerous to walk around unattended. I want to find your parents soon because they are most probably worried about you by now."

"No! No! No! I have no mommy, and daddy is always away. He doesn't even know I'm gone."

Oh, so that's how it is. Sterne unwittingly thought that she was just throwing a little rebellion because she was sad. Her heart softened like cotton. But you see, we still need to get you home!

Cecelia's nose flared while watching on the side. While the little girl pretends to sob in front of Sterne, she secretly turned to Cecelia with a triumphant smirk.

The other was so mad she was grinding her little teeth. 

What's with this little snot crying crocodile tears? Once the lady finds out your prank, see if she doesn't pummel that little smug face of yours. You'll be crying real tears then, hunn!    

 

At this moment, a certain manager inside Golden Leaf is at his wit's end because his Young Lord suddenly went missing.

"Ahh, what do I do? That person will skin me alive and pick my bones when he finds out I lost the little monst— err, master."

In the middle of his dilemma, one of the staff came running holding a leather case.

"Manager, manager look, Young Lords' disguise kit is empty. I think he went out for work so don't worry. Calm yourself now."

Work? What work? There was nothing like that. He came here to play this time, that's all but he was specifically instructed not to let him out until his guardian arrives. Oh, what a headache!

 

On the square, three little girls sat in silence eating freshly baked Almond Bear Claw. 

Not far from them Toad hid as he watched them. 

He stared at the treasures that would give him piles of gold coins. It doesn't matter if he lost that maid, what's important is that he is about to gain not only one but three.

Those smooth tender skin, he was sure he could triple the usual price. It's not every day he has this kind of luck, better make the most out of it. His hand excitedly reached to his pocket where he stored a pouch of sleeping powder. It was a good thing that they are in this secluded part of the garden, nobody will see when these children fall asleep. Later he will get his carriage and pick them up.

Slowly he untied the knot of the pouch. 

"Big sister, Cecelia is glaring at me!" The dolly girl exclaimed with a face filled with grievance. 

Cecelia looked incredulous. "I. Was. Not. Milady, please don't believe her. I'm quietly eating here."

"But your eyes just now is a little bit scary." The girl sobbed dropping pearls of translucent tears. "Sister Cecelia, don't you like me?" 

Cecelia: (ʘ言ʘ╬) 

"Sterne, look. She clearly hates me." 

Sterne sighed helplessly. "Children shouldn't fight. It's bad behavior to be quarrelsome." 

The little girl pouted not getting what she wanted. "She glared at me."

"I did not." Cecelia replied. 

"You did so."

"Did not." 

"You did!" 

Sterne looked at the two quarrelling girls feeling her energy drain rapidly. It could have looked cute if it were an ordinary kitten fight but no, they have to start picking on the things they bought and throw it at each other. Worse, she is caught in the middle. On her left, Cecelia grabbed the squishy gecko as a weapon and started brandishing it like a sword. On the right, the seemingly harmless girl chose the extra hard orc head, her eyes suddenly widened.

"Oh no, no, no, no, not that one." Sterne warned in a fluster.

If this landed on Cecelia head, it won't be just a small bruise she might need to sprinkle Regen Solution in it.

The dolly girl looked at her with huge innocent eyes, "No?"

"Yes. NO." 

While she was being distracted Sterne plucked the harmful thing off her hands and tossed it towards the bushes where it made a violent landing.

A loud THUNK was heard followed by a sharp grunt and finally blessed quietness.

The girls: "..."

The three of them turned their heads in one direction.  

Toad who was secretly hiding behind the bushes was smacked by a flying orc head right to his face. He was still mentally calculating his earnings when he suddenly conked out from the pain.

2