34. The Hallowed Ones
83 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

A few days after going to Freesia the report of Toad's disappearance reached Sterne. Tossing the sheet of paper back to her table she faced the grumpy looking Freiin, and the barely decent looking Dorn. The poor guy is riddled with bruises and scars. It makes her wonder who had such a black heart to beat him like this.

"Was the opponent too strong?"

"Yes." Dorn answered with a voice comparable to a mosquito. His watery eyes filled with hurt and bitterness.

"What could be even harder than his father's fist?" Freiin said with a helpless shrug. 

Dorn then, as if on cue, began shaking like a leaf. He really could not repeat the same mistake again. The punishment was simply too… traumatic. 

"Vice Commander did? Why?"

The reminder of this lad's folly sent Freiin grimacing with disgust; she gave him a knock on the head for good measure. "It wasn't enough that this chump lost track of Toad; he even had the gall to get caught by another group while on a mission. Then we later found out that Toad has already been nicely tucked inside the prison with the help of milady and her friends. Imagine the children doing your supposed errands? If that is not humiliating, I don't know what it is!"

"I was too complacent but could you please tone down with the beating?" Dorn pleaded rubbing his injured head.  

Sterne looked at her two childhood friends and couldn't help but smile wryly. Why must they be so hard on themselves?

If it happens then it happens.

"You two, don't pressure yourself too much." 

With her eldest brother's approval, she was able to mobilize Phantom in places she had marked as black zones where the tiniest hint of abnormality could occur. Freiin and Dorn's responsibility is relaying any news the corps has gathered to her. It was not as elaborate as the professionals in the Order does but she had made sure that she was not blindsided nonetheless.

Freiin said they were supposed to report earlier but Dorn's punishment was too severe; he needed a whole day to recover and wasn't given any medicine to get him accustomed to pain. Toad suddenly vanished inside the prison, that much they know, as for the third party who took him they have no single information about the person.

Aside from Toad, two more people entered Freesia but they too disappeared after taking the carriage and leaving it to burn ten miles away from Nachtwald Duchy. It looks like the person behind Toad is also after his life or there is probably a much bigger reason for that. They left his room untouched but tidied up the carriage.

Sterne remained silent while listening to the two exchange opinions. Her fingers drummed the desk, a thoughtful frown on her face.

Toad has done much work for that person, once he disappears the case of missing girls will only temporarily stop. There are plenty that can replace him and unless they go directly to the mastermind, the kidnappings will continue in the future.

 

"That damn Toad, he must have done something stupid as soon as he arrived to have the Obsidian coming after him in droves. We can no longer help him inside the prison. Whether he lives or die inside is not our problem anymore. Anyway, we destroyed the carriage and did as told. I just don't know what the old master plans." 

As the two head back to the mansion in the royal capital to meet the lord, the young master they are supposed to be serving is immersing himself with a row of courtesans inside a famous brothel in the red light district unaware that calamity is coming for him.

"Milord, I heard your family's madam is quite friendly with the Hallowed Ones' number one candidate Lady Regina Stolz. Does that mean that your house will soon support her?"

The handsome man still in his knight's uniform broke into a pleased smile.

"Naturally, if one is going to side with a candidate it is very beneficial to choose someone who shows a lot of promise from the onset. It has been three years and many of them have shown great potential in arts, etiquette, and magic. Above all those talented girls stands Lady Regina, the real gem."

The women giggled coquettishly hiding behind their fans and thick layers of powder and rouge. The smell of cheap perfume and smoke chokes out whatever fresh air comes from the window, yet for someone like Captain Edel Ravencroft who is already accustomed to this stench, this is only a part of the haven he likes.

Though the said madam is not his biological mother, the news still pleases him as it will be favourable to his career. Everything could have been more perfect if that brat did not exist. Just thinking about that sorry looking figure loitering in the manor is enough to dampen his mood.

"Then what about Lady Bernice of Vallis? She is equal in status, wealth and beauty, why not her instead?"

Long ago he also eyed Lady Bernice's camp but after being dissuaded by the old patriarch, he naturally discarded the idea. That girl's only flaw is her temper. Though others say that her attitude is only fitting of a child her age, some even find that horrid frankness refreshing, it does not hide her domineering arrogance. The future Queen cannot be shrewish and a snob, but of course, it will be a different story if she proved to be the fateful maiden in the end.        

Some other candidates prefer to be discreet. Some had unfortunately fallen off the list whether deliberate or by fate, none wanted to pursue the issue.

As the old saying goes: The Herald protects its Maiden.

If they fail, that only proves that the favour is not on their side.

 

Royal Castle. North Garden.

For over hundreds of years of tradition, the Hallowed One is not only regarded as the fated maiden,  how she can be the perfect match for the upcoming sovereign for one but also an exemplar of benevolence, grace and courage. The blessing, the power bestowed to each of the chosen candidates can help them ascend on top depending on how those girls utilize it. Since the selection day, the Royal Capital has never been the same, there was hardly a matter that wasn't influenced by the candidates, trends from specific books to read, desserts to eat to hairstyle for example. Lady Regina and Lady Bernice enjoyed the limelight, having been able to grasp people's attention for being the leading candidates among twenty or so girls. The people are struck with the thought that those two are the ideal of what a future Queen should be like.

But those were just people's opinions. If one has to ask Crown Prince Irvin Aurum du Roi one will most probably just earn his snort. The eighteen-year-old highness does not even bother himself with the affairs of his spouse-to-be. The eldest does not bother, so why should other princes waste their time as well?

"Arty, have you heard? Royal brother pleaded with Duke Nachtwald to let him join the exploration of the third layer in Sleeping Forest but got whacked instead." The youngest prince, His Highness Prince Siegfried whispered.

Prince Arthur, the second prince raised one graceful eyebrow. "Serves him right, I was the one who opened the topic of wanting to join that expedition but he suddenly went ahead of me."

"That's unfair, I wanted to go as well!"

"Shh, quiet. Mother is looking over here."

Prince Siegfried straightened himself, pretending to pay attention to the ongoing outdoor banquet to avoid being glared at by their mother.

Ugh. No way, that glare could instantly turn a giant to stone!

The threat is always effective. Prince Arthur already had enough of his eldest brother spoiling his chances to get in Duke Nachtwald's good side now the youngest has to join in as well.   

"Dream on, it's still too early for you."

"Tch, I'm thirteen. Did you know Kyrios and Dio entered when they were only twelve? I really wanted to go and see for myself if the Behemoth's body is as huge as the knights say." There was longing in the voice of the youngest prince.  

From the tales told by knights who joined Obsidian for a short-course training added by Prince Siegfried's colourful imagination, his simple dream of entering Sleeping Forest has now blown up to sightseeing.    

"Are you not curious yourself? I also happen to hear a tiny bit of gossip that Duke Nachtwald's daughter was able to enter herself because the duke gave permission. And why not? She became a veritable swordmaster at the age of twelve!"

Prince Arthur restrained the urge to smack this little brother suddenly. Although the said duke's family has little concern for superficial appearance, still, the society will not be too kind once it is spread that the young lady Nachtwald wields a sword and runs about behaving like a man. He admires the Obsidian's Lord Commander, though he has no personal feelings for that little girl it's better not to blurt things that may be detrimental to her future prospects. She is, after all, still a lady of nobility.

"Did you hear me, brother?" Siegfried asked.

"Loud and clear." Arthur replied flatly. "But don't go about telling anyone about this." 

"I'm not that foolish." 

The center of attraction for today's banquet are the two most favoured hallowed candidates. People instantly flock around them like ducks as though someone has sprinkled the most delicious grain beneath their feet.

Lady Regina, as graceful as a butterfly in her light pink colouring, faced the guests of various high ranking families with her warm smile while Lady Bernice mingled with friends and fellow candidates in her carefree cheerful ways.

"Congratulations to Lady Regina for gaining the support of the Heraldic Order. With them behind you, you can rest assured that your talent will only continue to grow from here on." One of the guests said, earning a few more gasps and congratulatory messages.

"Such a beautiful and talented child, even the Heraldic Order cannot deny her brilliance. In just three years, her fire element's magic has become purer and stronger than most mages with the same element. From a 1st Tier Flame Orbs to the 4th Tier Hellflare but that is not the best she can do yet, the young lady can even use Healing Magic not even most of those in the Healer profession have. I say, isn't it obvious already who the fateful maiden is?"

"That's not all, her gentle and noble character has won many hearts. As for Lady Bernice, we are excited to see her antics whenever that young lady goes out. Her charm has hooked the masses especially when she bravely reprimanded a fellow candidate who bumped into an old lady. The candidate's family complained about her behaviour for publicly calling out their daughter but I say, Lady Bernice only did what is right. Her valiant and undaunted spirit shows more of her character as someone from the family holding the Vermillion Order of Knights."       

"There were a few more good seeds, take that child Lady Maelys from a wealthy merchant's family. Normally, the merchant's even a baron's daughter has no chance of becoming Crown Princess but since it is the Herald who chose, the mortal rules do not apply. The poor girl is starting to gain supporters but that tragedy has to happen suddenly."

The gaggle of women turned quiet at the mention of one candidate's tragedy. For a commoner to be bestowed a title of "Lady" is already enough blessing that can last for several generations, even more, when one was given power from the Herald itself. Unfortunately, not all good things would remain unchanged.

Not family. Not the idyllic days. Not position.

"The girls will enter the Royal Academy four years from now for the experts to gauge and monitor the improvements of their skills. That is the hardest part of this competition. It will not just test their abilities to adapt to a difficult situation, the academy will also serve as both a gateway and platform for them to gain allies from various large powers."  

While the favoured candidates are being exalted, praised up to high heaven the rest of non-aggressive girls, on the other hand, without strong backings are slowly sinking. At the whole course of the banquet, they did little contact with people aside from their own mothers and friends. None made a move to approach several established families that can very much change their fate, as a result, those who are already on top win a few more support.

The clueless Lady Odette has no idea that she was also dragged along with it. The young lady was busy stuffing her face with shrimp egg custard Omnia recently released. She had two cups already but because she couldn't get enough of the sweet, soft texture wrapping her tender tongue she wanted more. Alas! Someone was faster than her.

"Aren't you supposed to be out there?" Prince Siegfried asked.

Small Odette shrugged her shoulders, threw a brief glance at the crowd then get back to eyeing the food. Since her good friend Maelys left, she lost all enthusiasm to mingle with the rest.

"They are them. I am me."

Siegfried: Child, you sound like a weary old man. 

"You were not good with crowds, I take it." Siegfried nodded. 

"I do not wish to be a candidate any more." She murmured. "It's not fun when everyone is fighting."

"Fighting?" 

"You'd be blind not—" Realizing her blunder, Odette stopped eating at once, covered her mouth and gave a quick curtsy before fleeing from the little prince. "I overstepped, begging your pardon, Your Highness." 

Odette flee faster than a comet leaving the young prince feeling the cold breeze.  

Σ(‘◉⌓◉’) Did I do something wrong???    


2