38. Old Company Needing A Boost
83 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Baron Wilbert Maurer is a shrewd upstanding gentleman with fierce looks. As the steward for Lutum and is someone who has proven his crafting and negotiation skills, it is known that the other men around the room look up to him. For the time being, Sterne had to put aside her worry about Golden Leaf's owner to face the five elders.

As she welcomed the visitors to the parlour, Sir Ahmose, and Emilia naturally stood on the side to accompany her receiving the guests.

"Milady, we deeply apologize for the delay. It has taken quite a while to gather all the stewards after your summon."

"It's alright uncle Wil, as long as I do not intrude in your busy schedules." She answered sweetly.

Whether it is the strict uncle Wil, the amiable uncle Jurjs, the eccentric uncle Bern who loves poisonous plants to the beardy uncle Asse and cheery uncle Ed, she loves them all equally and has always a smile at the ready.   

Before the talk continues, the parlour maid entered with a cart of new things she intends on introducing today. There is tea and a different pot with a fragrant smell along with the pastries they never saw before. Sterne then prompted them to sample the food.

"These are… bread, no, it's far too soft and it's sweet and creamy. Melts in the mouth."

"This black beverage with a strong aroma—"

The five of them exchanged looks as they slowly tasted the food and drinks. The black hot drink's kick of bitterness greatly surprised the five of them. There wasn't anything like this before, though the taste pricks the tongue, one cannot deny the urge to have some more. The buttery soft sweet bread paired with either the tea and this new beverage will not lose out either. A little while later it was all completely wiped from the tray, then Sterne proceeded with the explanation.

"The bread is called a sponge cake. Our two chefs Enoh and Cairn were given the recipe to make them from ingredients we can find around the fief. The bitter and black beverage is called kofi. That, however, came from the Sleeping Forest."

The beans were brought over by Dio when one of the knights who grew up from the southeast continent suggested they bring home samples. When Sterne looked through it with the Herald's Eyes she found out that it was a rare class bean growing in the warm areas of the forest.

Exclamation of surprise rang after hearing about the kofi. As expected they would make different kinds of faces after knowing that there is only a limited amount so she hurried to placate them by her plans of replanting. 

When she first tried roasting the beans according to the recipe and let everyone at the house sample them she got quite a favourable impression. The bitter bold taste and aroma of the beans are popular with the men while the ladies prefer putting sugar and milk to smoothen the taste. They had it every day and as a result, they seem to have become attached to it.   

Kofi has become a morning ritual since, while tea with refreshing taste is reserved during the afternoon.

When she looked at her uncle Wil and the others, they were seriously having a muted discussion.

"First, milady. Do you plan on adding this to the products of Omnia?" Bern, the uncle who loves exotic plants asked. His eyes brimming with curiosity. 

"Aye, if it is something that captures your interest then it by no means will capture the people's interest," Sterne said, clearing her throat. She just knows how this uncle of hers would react. "But I would love to hear the adult's honest opinion first."

All of them turned to her with kind smiles.

"Good product, what's there to think about? My Datura Town will handle growing these things. You can rest assured my lady, this old man will take care of them."

Jurjs, the soft-spoken steward of Trefoil chimed in. "It is a revolutionary taste that can rival the well-known mildness of tea, milady. It will sell. With old Ed's Freesia handling the tea plantation and old Bern on this Kofi, you will have fewer things to worry about."

"The sponge cake especially," Uncle Wil said, nodding his head. "The noble ladies will move mountains just to have this quality of sweetness and softness. Remember the rage back then when we first served the morning rolls?"

Right, and sponge cake is even softer than that. It may seem a bit of an exaggeration there, but Sterne had to admit that she herself squealed in delight after tasting it. She couldn't even stop from dipping her finger on the batter before they put it in the oven.

It wasn't until recently when they started trying out these new confection recipes, with the help of Enoh and Cairn. Along with their apprentices, the number of desserts multiplied in just a few weeks making them advance levels from apprentice cooks to chefs with an extra title 'Confection Specialist'.  

"Now that we are on the topic of selling new items, milady, there are a few more things that we would like to consult with you." The next one who spoke is the old uncle Asse of Silva where a large amount of lumber comes. "As someone who witnessed firsthand how my crafted pieces of equipment are put to use, I was deeply moved. The loom apparatus is indeed extraordinary. Does milady also plan on selling the fabrics produced by those?"

With Silva and Trefoil cooperating, Craftsmen, particularly in weaving and embroidery, have grown enough to establish a new shop. Sterne has personally seen them work and is quite amazed.

"Yes. The target for our new type of fabrics will be those wealthy households and the nobility." After all the articles are quite difficult and tricky to produce, a Craftsman needed his full attention and artistic talent to make a single bolt of fabric so it is only natural that it is priced as valuable as well.

"Our products bear the company's logo on it. Thanks to that we have gained quite a good reputation all over Aurum in both common and noble individuals again. Omnia's articles are being recognized as Rare-class items. If we introduce new products, the reception will be good as well." Uncle Wil said.

"I'm hoping we could as well spread our food culture to the general public outside Nachtwald." She sighed.

In times of extreme scarcity, the new crops and dishes can overturn the current food problem faced by the common folks.

It's a pity that outside people adhere to the austere tradition where food eaten by the nobility greatly differs from the ones eaten by common folks. Extravagant luxuries on cuisine with the usage of expensive spices and condiments are exclusive only for the elites that can afford them. There is definitely no chance of sampling multiple sumptuous dishes in the everyday meal of the commoners. The divide between social classes runs deeply that it sometimes could end up a crime by merely eating a good meal— as if it can even be considered a 'good meal'. This norm makes Sterne feel really complicated.      

"Lady Sterne need not to fret, it is up to those visitors who came in here to spread the word. No matter how prejudiced they are to eating monster meat and new types of grains, despite their fear of trying out new things their pride will melt the moment they get a taste of it."

Uncle Asse second. "Aye, that is for sure. Any ideas that milady suggested are all things that were never given so much importance before."

I'm pretty sure it was because the Herald's power blocked people's memory and erased most chances to progress. She laughed inwardly. Haa… Herald, you really did good at information control, huh. Just look how difficult it is to bring back the sense of normalcy around here.

Going back to the topic at hand of selling the new kind of fabrics, Imperial Moth is an A-rank monster that at least needs five Crusaders and Warriors to destroy. Harvesting their cocoons from the nest is extremely dangerous because they are kept on tall trees. In order to gather them while keeping safe from swarms of moth monsters, they needed to pick the time where the adults leave the breeding ground, which is only twice in a year.

"For the Imperial Silk, Pixie Wings Lace and Drifting Mist Gauze, they are highly valuable so I recommend withholding for a while more until we gain a steady source. Those fabrics are sinful…"

Those fabrics came about because of the Lost Recipe. The technique of making is laborious and the materials used are very difficult to get.

"My lady is right," this time Sir Ahmose joined in. "It is indeed of the highest quality, once the nobles recognize its value they will swoop down and press on just to acquire it. Unfortunately, the method of gathering the basic component is fraught with dangers. Moreover, the Silver Moon Pavillion and other business in the royal capital that also ventures in textile may find Omnia an eyesore once it starts to sell."

Uncle Jurjs agreed. "Sir Ahmose has a point. Omnia is currently planning on expanding. The last spot of good land in the North District is under negotiation with your father. If we timed the sale, we might not get good results. Rivals will definitely start acting to stop Omnia from relocating near their area."

There was a slight pause after that.

"If by chance we fail to acquire the land, the company can remain in its old place," uncle Wil concluded with a heavy sigh. "But if we want to expand, we must bid for the remaining land beside it at the Carnelian Auction House. For now, we can only delay the release of our new products until we secure additional space. We cannot afford to attract the eyes of our rivals in the capital."

The latter piece of land her uncles were talking about is placed right in the middle of the Southern District. According to what Duke Al told Sterne the majority of the area is occupied by overgrown weeds, vines and trees with Omnia in the middle. There were only a few buildings in the vicinity which attracted little people making it somber. Thirty percent of that empty land has already been acquired by a private company, Omnia owned ten percent and another ten percent beside them is to be put in auction soon. The remaining fifty is a property of the royal family which they also kept vacant for long because it was intended to be developed into a park by an elusive master architect.

"There is no need to relocate," Sterne said. "The current place is fine as it is and we can always try our luck in the bidding." But first, she needed information about that private company who's buying the lands around Omnia. Perhaps they could negotiate and come into an agreement.

"We also came to that decision after some thought." Uncle Wil said with a glint in his intelligent eyes. "It's best to just renovate the old Omnia in the royal capital and if possible buy the nearby lots. By then, we will have a bigger and brighter area for our new products."

"Alright, we will go ahead with the renovation." said the uncle Asse rubbing his beard. "Meanwhile, Duke Al will continue negotiating for the land in the north as cover." 

Sterne held a smile as she contemplated something. The land the royal family kept, soon that area will be cleared away and a beautiful glass house will rise in the middle of it. Good thing the uncles came to consult with her about the expansion today or else they could have let go of one of the most perfect spots. What North District? Even if it is popular and unrivalled among other places in the royal capital there will be a time when its beauty fades.

With her advantage of taking a glimpse of the future, she is confident she will be able to help the company prosper.

The south will begin to rise from its years of desolation and neglect. In fact, beneath it, a change may have already occurred. Just thinking about it made her heart thump with excitement.     

"By the way, it is Lord Kyrios' graduation three months from now. Finally, the eldest son is going to become an ordained knight. You are going to the royal capital with your father, correct?"

That she wasn't sure of. The men of the family left for the expedition, it will take a while for them to return.  

In three months Kyrios will finish his schooling. Sterne mulled over it for about a moment trying to figure out why those things gave her a strange feeling. Her eldest brother's graduation is supposed to be a joyous event. He will finally— her whole body froze instantly after realizing something.

The dream!

 

When the invite for lunch came the men protested one after another. 

"It is highly inappropriate, absolutely not." Uncle Wil said.

"It's just a meal. What could be so odd about it?"

"The meal itself is not odd, but the manner of us intruding will not set a good example." 

"Do my uncles worry about formality? Come, come, I do not mind such trivialities. This is Nachtwald for heaven's sake. I dine with fifty or so families every week and nothing will change."

"We know you are a generous and good child who does not impose upon your advantage to your subjects but society will not tolerate this disregard."  

Sterne pouted her mouth and pulled a long face, "My uncles, may I take this refusal as if you are no longer fond of me?"

The old men looked at each other.

"It makes me sad that a simple meal would become so complicated. I might cry… and I might even tell Father…" 

Old Bern laughed, "You mean to frighten us with your father? Ha, that boy is still years behind from doing so."

"It would do him much better to continue slaying monsters." Uncle Silva second as he flexed those menacing arm muscles. 

"Well, we did tie on our last fight ten years ago." Uncle Asse grinned. "It might be a good time to settle an old score." 

Sterne looked appalled. I beg you uncles, have mercy on your brittle bones. 

It appears her plan is failing.  

Then Sir Ahmose cleared his throat and smiled genially, "Gentlemen, milady insists you dine with her today. It is such a rare occasion to have you all here at the house. The lord is not often home these days and so are the two young masters. It would alleviate her sadness to have some company." 

Sterne gave Sir Ahmose two thumbs up for approval. 

The men thought about it for several moments before giving in. 

"Very well," Uncle Wil sighed softly. "But this is not to continue as a habit." 

The little lady did not reply, she just smiled silly and hopped all the way to the east wing. 

In the dining hall, the men were finally tempted to ask the most curious thing they had seen earlier. They may not have spoken about it at first but all five of them noticed the change in appearance of the manor. Particularly its whole form. 

Thus the dwarven masterpiece was explained to them. It was a good thing that they also have prior knowledge of it that is why the shock lessened considerably. 

"So that was the reason," the uncles said in awe. 

"I did hear the dwarves have an amiable connection to the first landlord but I thought it was merely a gesture of goodwill. It never occurred to me that they would leave a magnificent gift as a token." Uncle Silva said.

"Might this be the reason why no matter how the manor is fixed, it continues to deteriorate."  

"It could be." Uncle Asse agreed to uncle Jurjs conjecture. "The carpenters from my town had been mulling about this problem every year. No matter what repairs they make, no materials seem to fit." 

It was because it was never meant to be tampered with. It should have been reawakened using magic.  

"It has changed so much since our last visit that I doubted whether I am still in the original place." Uncle Bern said with a hearty cackle. "I knew this house was special, I used to say that but no, they always say 'it's because the lord is a good man'. Well hell, I know that of course… What I mean however was the amount of magical energy surrounding it. Those fools!"

Looking up at him and grinning, Sterne said. "They sure didn't know any better, right uncle?" 

"Indeed. Building a house in the heart of the battlefield is out of a question unless of course it is a fortress. The dwarves knew what the margrave needed the most and they built it for him." 

It took a long time to discover its secret until the little lady who fortified it.

"About the territory's growth, not so long ago people from other domains were not optimistic about the recovery of Nachtwald, going as far as rejecting the offers of business and promotion of innovation to farming and livelihood. Who has the last laugh now?"

Uncle Bern lives in the town northeast of Nachtwald where the highway leading to the Royal Capital is located. Baron Bern Shade is a cranky person to those he had argued with and only to Sterne he is a sweet and jolly old man. In fact, he is the one who gave her the seedling of her precious crane flowers. Uncle Ed on the other hand is the steward of Freesia, the neighboring town in charge of cultivating their cash crops and they get along well as fellow farmers. 

"Since the life vein of Nachtwald has recovered we have more visitors than before. Who would have imagined we will be able to turn over? Sure there are skeptics among them but I never tire of seeing them disappointed once they see the improvements for themselves." 

"Quite so." Sterne nodded. "I found several coaches in these few days stopping by the western slope. Just yesterday morning a family came by to see the manor." 

The old men turned silent. 

"You child," Uncle Wil censured. "Did you allow it?"

Sterne took a spoonful of soup before nodding. "There was no danger to it, besides the house was always open for the civilians to view— well, it's not as if we had welcomed any visitors in the past decades. I was surprised when people came and as long as the lord is not present, they are welcome to tour around the vicinity and the selected rooms."   

Uncle Jurjs rubbed his beard, "I suppose there is no harm to it, what do you say Ahmose?"

"Those who come close to the estate are under the approval of the stationed guards outside and Miss Amy." Sir Ahmose replied. "We make sure they do not disturb milady's rest." 

Though it's another matter if their lady sneaks about her own house to follow some curious stranger. 

The meal progressed amiably but as soon as they were about to part, Sterne was once again bombarded with caution. 

"Come on, it's just the appearance that's changed. You are my uncles and you came from  a long trip. We are family so why mind the rules all of sudden? This pains me to no end."

Uncle Wil was not to be defeated by her dramatics. "You really don't care about social positions don't you? Same as your grandfather and father."

"I'm a Nachtwald," Sterne giggled as if it was to be expected naturally, "The afflictions of having a strong dislike to constraints runs deep in the family."

"These extreme leniencies can only be done within the territory. I insist you begin minding from now on. You are about to be launched into society in a few years!"

"But I don't want to debut at all." She muttered. 

"My dear lady, it is your duty as a nobleman's child. Once you are in Aurea you have to act out your role as a duke's daughter. In the first place, it is unheard of to eat with your retainers on the same table, what's more it is the esteemed dining hall of the great warriors."

"I'm sure grandfather will be glad." As she said so she swept her hand playfully to the portraits of her ancestors adorning the corridors. "I'm aware you have my welfare to heart and I perfectly understand what you are worried about. Rest assured my uncles, I will do nothing to shame my family's name—" 

The old men nodded in satisfaction. They trust she will follow through with her promise being sensible that she is, but sometimes it is the same precociousness that worries them. 

"—but it does not mean I have to let go of my cordial relationships in order to maintain the nobleman's dignity." Sterne added cheekily. 

She had no plans of living a stifling and boring life within the territory, her father does not adhere to it so why should she? She can emulate the teachings when needed, she was drilled with decorum lessons after all so that she may be fitting of her title but she also knew that she had a choice to employ them should the need arise. 

"Do not be alarmed, my uncles I shall take that advice to heart."

Uncle Asse patted her head fondly, "As much as we are delighted to have your presence all to ourselves, milady still needed to widen her horizons. One cannot help but feel deeply disappointed if such exquisiteness should be kept in just one place." 

"I second that," Uncle Bern approved. "Mark my word, your debut will be most anticipated. In my opinion there is no other girl out there who is more handsome than our very own Lady Sterne."  

Sterne wished she could melt into a puddle from embarrassment. Having had a good laugh at her reaction, the uncles soon boarded their coaches. She waved them a cheerful goodbye as they left the estate but as soon as she was left alone, her smile faded. 

Her elder brother's future is at stake! 


2