41. He Came To Slay The Black Knight
61 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Several months ago an oracle came to the Zircon Empire delivered by the venerable priests of the primordial city. A matter of great alarm concerning the destiny of the apparent heir to the empire's throne: a formidable force from the south will soon awaken.   

Spurred by this grave news, the emperor sent his most trusted retainer to guide the one tasked to face the abomination. The tragedy of its awakening has to be prevented at all cost! 

"Solis, do I look like someone easily deceived?"

In a span of one day, the boy before him changed drastically. Gone is the ruthless reckless streak he always carried and is now replaced by a dangerous calm.

"Primordial city Holy Dipterus will pay." He vowed seethingly. "To think I, Royce vi Zirconium almost became fodder for their scheme. No more! This farce ends on my terms."

A little while ago…

Having been subjected to the harshness of the succession trial, Royce only had little energy left. His whole being screamed of pain and there is nothing sweeter than to close his eyes and fall into a dead faint.

But after hearing the ancient one's answer, all the fatigue and aches lingering on his body faded away. He might already have felt it in his heart a long time before coming here that is why the truth did little to shock him.

"What would become of the south if the griffins perished?"

"The same as any civilization that has been buried to the ground. It will be wiped out and forgotten once their guardian ceases to exist."

Then to the question, "How do I slay the Black Knight?"

And be answered. "It is not for you to decide." He felt more relieved than disappointed.

"Then the prophecy…"

"Is a sham."

The boy was rooted to his spot. "I see." 

"You don't appear too surprised." 

"I had my suspicions but I still wanted the absolute truth." 

"Haaa… you poor misguided fool. You bargained yourself so cheaply. You came to face me with that puny strength of yours and despite not knowing the true intent of your so-called confidants?"

Confidantes. Did he mean the people from Holy Dipterus? 

"Tell me, is the ward of Sun King nothing more than a pathetically gullible child? A pawn blinded by sweet lies. A weapon to be used?"

"Perhaps I was and I wish to deny this that is why I came to you to seek for answers." 

From beyond the smoke, the ancient emerges. In the flickering light produced by lightning, the image with hooves and mane of blue fire appeared, Royce realized that he asked the wrong question to the wrong creature.

"Sleipnir… Dark King." He shot Solis a resentful glare.  

Well, if it isn't the Black Knight's very own beast! No wonder Solis was so confident his questions would be answered.

"Oh, so you know who I am." The Dark King remarked in its uniquely cold tone. "You dare intrude in my domain, boring ill-intent to one I serve. Child, I do not commend recklessness."

From a thousand years of oblivion, the faithful mount showed itself once again. Bathed in the brilliance of the hottest star, the sacred beast stood majestically in front of him. From the battlefield of the bygone era, the Dark King reaped many lives along with its master. Royce could only look up, his widened eyes arrested to the creature. 

His gaze then sharpened and went to the hateful Sun King who stood not a few feet apart. 

"You did it on purpose."

Solis stood on the side trying to avoid eye contact, seemingly perfecting that solemn expression as he listened to his old friend's harsh admonishment directed towards his young ward.

"You never told me you are acquainted with the Dark King!" Royce barked accusingly. 

"It is the answers you seek so I brought you to the one who can provide them with sufficient truths and clarity."

Very well, so he asked, was answered and nearly died! 

"You had your prejudices against the Black Knight. A little urging from Holy Dipterus and you came down here to the south, did you not?" 

Royce was being stared at by two pairs of eyes as if he were a stupid child. It made his teeth itch in anger. 

"I had my misgivings." He said after a short silence. "The tales I heard of the Black Knight, none of them were kind. Everyone was  keen to believe his follies and offenses but I never judged him according to the books. You know that!"

The Dark King took a second look at the boy. 

"But you had your unshakeable trust in the primordial city." Solis said calmly. 

"Only because I made it appear so." He reasoned smoothly. "After all, one must maintain a superficial friendliness." He just never expected they would have the gall to use him. 

"I have every reason to believe you intended to seek a fight when you so arrogantly declared  that you were keen on defeating the griffins of the south."

"I," Royce's shoulders fell. "I was in the wrong. Despite having my own suspicions about Dipterus' claim I still have to be cautious otherwise." 

The Zircon Empire and Holy Dipterus have had a harmonious relationship for hundreds of years. In order for him to grow and realize their careful machinations Solis admits he did not offer any advice to dissuade the child. He needed to discover truths by himself. 

"Royce vi Zirconium, why is it that you look relieved? Did you not want to slay my knight?"

A faint smile touched his lips. "I lack enough hostility to see through the task." 

But he could not thoroughly be complacent until he sought for the answers himself. 

If it wasn't for the damn oracle from Holy Dipterus telling the revival of Black Knight he would never grow this preposterous idea of searching for the ancient one, let alone angering it. His goal was to come here to observe the situation, if the south is proven to be brewing an evil conspiracy as painted by the primordial city he will not hesitate to stop it but since there is none he continued to adopt a wait and see attitude. 

He should have stuck to the original goal of capturing their fugitive! Now he finally understands why his trial had been so merciless. The sleipnir viewed him hostile and vented its ward's anger for him. But he wasn't to be blamed for this, he is also a victim here nonetheless. There he was having a mighty fine time in the empire when those old prunes from the primordial city paid a visit and started talking about his fate making his old man paranoid.   

"Perhaps deep inside I do not wish to slay your knight." He answered simply. But it would be an honor to exchange blows with him.

Coming here facing the Dark King, enduring his wrath was not because he was dedicated to that oracle. It was to test his limits. 

Now that he realized he had been used, there is no need for him to maintain the shallow cordiality with those tiresome and abhorrent people from Dipterus. 

Those old prunes kept saying that the Black Knight's fate is bound to disrupt his inheritance. It did not bother him one bit since he has long received the protection of the Sun King. As the sole heir, there was neither threat nor competition. What is there to be worried about?   

One thing bothered him though. Why are people so afraid of a single existence such the Black Knight even spurring the reclusive primordial city into action?

"When the world scorned my ward, only I remained by his side. His body may have perished but his soul did not. For those who condemned him to perdition, his return signals their end. All the wrongs from the past centuries shall be rectified."

It appears there is more to the story than those written in records. 

"Fool." His thoughts triggered the sleipnir's ire making the flames on its back and hooves flare up boiling the water underneath it.  

Royce had no plans of fulfilling the primordial city's request at first since he had nothing against the Black Knight. The west and south continents are divided by mountains and oceans. But according to the tale, his revival will usher in a calamity and even empires as powerful as Zircon will shake.  

They made him believe there was a threat. The truth was rather absurd, however. Dipterus wanted to pit him against the griffins, the protector of the south. It was only now that everything came clear to him. If the south falls, he will also fail to ascend to a new realm of power. Heaven will not forgive him for harming those who bore divine power. He will never be able to protect the west continent and it wouldn't matter how many lands he rules nor how large the armies he commands, devoid of blessings, all is bound to be lost. 

All along Dipterus planned to leave the empire at their mercy.  

They miscalculated this time. They never thought that he would seek the council of the Sleipner and undergo the succession ritual. In the end, it was their greed that pushed him to these new heights.

He ascended two years early before he came of age. He can now be properly called the ward of Sun King, the dragon of the west. Bestowed not only with the title but with strength almost equal to his guardian. 

"Congratulations, Young Lord— or should I say Your Imperial Highness?"

Royce's mouth twitched. This damn dragon did not even bother to hide the sarcasm in his tone. 

"Has everything been cleared up?"

"I believe I can settle with this answer." Royce said dryly. 

When you are so badly beaten and nearly died, you'd be a fool not to settle. 

"What do we do with those codgers from the primordial city?" Solis inquired.

"Continue playing along. I would like to see where their schemes lead us, once their suspicion ebb they will eventually go back to Holy Dipterus. I surmise Father also had enough of their meddling but he cannot just throw them out since they are people directly under the Holy Master. Meanwhile, we stay here in Aurum."

"And what do we tell your father about that criminal you refuse to capture? You were tasked with returning him to Erebus."

"My old man personally assigned me to it. Aside from you, my entourage and I no one else knows the reason why I left the empire. Whether I bring the fugitive back or not will not affect my position."

Solis held his forehead. The boy is predisposed to saying high-sounding words. Why can't he just phrase it bluntly that he wants to stay and play some more? 

"When would you be coming back to Sleeping Forest?" solis asked the Dark King

"I am yet to have my fill of magical herbs." 

Royce sat on a boulder to see his injuries and wounds while the ancients talked.  

"With the disturbance we caused here, I fear it will become restless so I suggest you vacate the place soon."

"Your concern is very much appreciated, Sun King." The sleipner replied. 

Leise Mountain finally entered a state of calm when the trial ended, but the two did not care whether it was only for a short time or permanent. The monsters that frantically ran for their lives still refused to return to their usual spots. 

Even when the sleipnir did nothing but stay by the side of Mirror Lake and chew on some succulent wild crane flowers, none of them even dared let out a snort.

Royce scrubbed himself clean in the water making sure all the dirt from both yesterday and today are nowhere in sight, after that he changed into fresh clothes prepared by Solis.

"How far is the nearest city? I'm famished." Royce said stretching his limbs for an exercise. All the wounds and fractures he suffered are gone. One may even think he never suffered any injuries at all. 

Searching for food, the two darted out of the woodlands passing by numerous huddled monsters on the side. Seeing that they were approaching, they obediently gave way.

      



3