47. His Highness’ Observation
94 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Using an old gazebo as an encampment, Prince Irvin along with four royal knights stayed there while compiling an investigation report. The rest of the troops fanned out the whole area in search of the missing people from the three Orders. 

What Sterne did not understand was why she also had to sit inside and listen to this meeting. She had given them enough clues to connect the dots. Gram already said his piece, so why all of a sudden she was being served tea in a dainty ceramic cup?

Emilia noticed the peculiarity as well. The rest drank from tin mugs including the prince himself! She eyed Viktor who was foolishly standing on the side, grimacing at the unpalatable tea they were so glad to partake in.

It has been a long day and Viktor has exhausted himself; he could barely collect his bearings. In fact, all of them are tired but they have no choice but to stand in attention in the presence of royalty. 

"Karion Ziege and Weevil are foster children of Ravencroft house. I did not expect that they were involved with all these, I do not have that good impression of them. They choose to be low-profile inside the academy, though they seem to harbour unknown resentment against a good friend of mine; it wasn't enough to raise an alarm." While speaking, the prince would shoot Sterne a knowing glance from time to time making her flustered. 

The information he received about Karion did not come from her. Even if she already uncovered the scheme, she had no way of telling it directly to this royal. She is a child of only twelve years, if she opens her mouth they might think she's making things up or worse, her words could end up dismissed as slander. Their family has no shortage of enemies, from the very beginning all she wanted to do is gather intelligence and give them all to her eldest brother as means to protect himself. But she was surprised to hear the prince sharing the same thoughts as she does. 

From his gestures he made it sure she understood that both of their conclusions were on the same track. He made no qualms revealing everything she had mostly compiled herself.

Did he intend to keep her out of it and shoulder everything?

Seeing the prince's resolute eyes gave her the answer. No doubt about it. 

"Students of Royal Academy, who would have thought they would scheme so low and use sinister means to elevate their status?" He said wearily.

Sterne, rubbed the rim of her cup slowly. 

"Speaking of which, I heard you had quite a performance at today's events?"

"Not entirely, Your Highness." 

"But witnesses said you fought so well. Your sword skills in particular were highly praised." 

She looked up to a pair of quiet eyes and it was too late to look away. 

"Y-Your Highness praises too generously. My party and I, not just me alone— each of us performed splendidly."   

"I'm sure you all did." He agreed readily. 

"If Your Highness has no more to inquire, may we beg to be excused?"

Prince Irvin looked dismayed. "You are spent from all this fighting I suppose." 

Sterne felt a huge thorn was taken out of her chest. Hooray for being let go so easily. She stood, curtsied in a hurry and was about to exit when she heard him say;

"Today's gallantry reminds me of a certain person," Prince Irvin said thoughtfully, eyeing her. His amber eyes twinkled. "He was such a fine knight but he can be cruel sometimes. The scamp deliberately left all these burdens to me while he went out exploring a new territory. Truly heartless, what do you think laddie?"

"Why… I, I'm not sure why the prince asks me so." 

"Just some idle talk, nothing to fret about." 

The prince's familiar manner of speaking has cracked the nonchalant mask she put on herself. Sterne wanted to bolt out from here and escape from Aster Town as soon as possible. Since things are just about to be settled, and her disguise could barely hang on there is no need for her to linger. 

Royce observed the beads of sweat pouring down her small face and a ridiculous smile appeared on his lips. Could there be any more guilty face than hers?

"Speaking of which, you resemble him quite… a lot." 

Mother of peanuts! She screamed inwardly. He knew and this prince is bent on prying something out of her. 

"I was not to appear here originally," he said casually. "If fate had been in my favor I could have been one of the few to join an expedition. It has been my wish since the plan was formed years ago but alas."  

"Why was Your Highness not included?" 

Prince Irvin leaned back on his seat, he watched her intently as he let the silence build before replying. "Perhaps because they found me ill-qualified."

Sterne felt a cold breeze blowing on her neck. The spacious tent suddenly felt cramped.  

Under his inquisitive gaze, her miniscule courage wavered. She was suddenly unsure. She doesn't know how shallow or intimate his friendship with her elder brother is or what his thoughts about their ducal house was. What if Prince Irvin intentionally softened his attitude in order to know why she came here. For all she knows, he could just be acting as a ploy to make her admit about her meddling in Aster and use it to persecute her father. 

They had too few alliances and she had not heard of the royal family being mentioned by her father or brothers. Just now the prince sounded as though he had been tricked by her brother into coming here. If things were to get out of hand, their family is going to be questioned. 

She did not want to implicate them. 

She had to say something to keep everyone out of trouble. 

"Why do you not speak?" He asked, making her heart jump. "Did I say it right?"

Sterne's pupil's dilated, "You Highness could not be more wrong on the intentions of a more loyal subject."

"Loyal subject?" He raised a quizzical brow. 

Sterne was miffed. Does he question her family's loyalty?

"I'm sure Your Highness understands that it was your friend's and any of the people in the kingdom's deepest wish to have your own safety prioritized." However angry she was, she had to curb her temper lest she  makes an even bigger spectacle of today's events.

An effort that did not escape his notice. 

"You are saying he did not intentionally send me out here just so I could avoid the danger from elsewhere?"

"Exactly." 

Prince Irvin did not make any remarks. He sat there pensively as his eyes followed her like how a lion would look at a deer. 

The silence was disconcerting. Sterne felt anxiety rising. 

"Your Highness must know about the dangers when exploring new territories. Our kingdom sits directly next to the notorious Sleeping Forest and we have been subjected to periodic attacks which we could barely stand if not for the efforts of our knights." Oh dear, her mouth felt dry, "It was your vassal's duty to ensure your well-being while disregarding their own. Only when safety is guaranteed should they be able to acquiesce to your request."

"Hmm," Prince Irvin smiled without humor. "Leaving me out, eh. Isn't that because they considered me weak? An added burden?"

With her widened eyes and barely hidden indignant expression, Sterne emphasized, "Certainly not."

"Are you trying to console me?"

"I do not think Your Highness has the need to be consoled." She said evenly. "You amongst anyone else knew what you are capable of and I doubt flattery would do any effect either." 

"You have no wish to get into my good graces?" The prince probed. 

"I cannot consider myself as someone resistant to favor. Your friendship is mostly welcomed but I dare not ask. Servility will only put you off." 

Come now, when are you going to let me go? 

Oh, how much she regretted coming across this person. Who said Prince Irvin has the mildest of temper? 

Sterne had sweated enough to water a flower garden and because of her nervousness, she overlooked the hint of teasing on the prince's voice.

Servility will put him off? Indeed there are few things he detested and being flattered immensely by ubiquitous subjects was one he could not stand. The girl was right. 

Kyrios' little sister is quite amusing. No wonder he could not stop harping about her since the day she was born. She is indeed as bonny and jaunty as described. That little bit of childishness disappeared when he took a subtle jab on her family. 

Prince Irvin did not stop himself from laughing out loud startling the already tense Sterne. 

"Be at ease laddie, as I said, I was merely making small talk," the prince resumed his gentle appearance. 

He flashed her a heartbreaker smile that can usually calm a restless child but, against a nervous twelve-year-old, it proved no effect at all. 

"I forgot to ask, is the tea to your liking?"

Sterne was thrown off guard at the abrupt shift of topic, "Y-Your Highness?"

"I suppose not. I was told the ones from the town of Freesia in the southern territory are the best of them all being carefully picked and dried…"

Sometime later, a knight came in and whispered something making his face brighten. Prince Irvin came with utmost secrecy with the purpose of catching the enemies unaware. Based on what Kyrios has explained, there is only a slim chance of success— that is to wait for the signal of Phantom Corps and coordinate with them. 

Unbeknownst to Sterne, the eldest had already made preparations for her. Prince Irvin and the corps had been exchanging correspondence regarding the issues within Nebel. Once the city lord makes suspicious movements they will capture him. 

Poor prince, if he knew that his best friend used him as a cushion for his sister's safety he would be weeping for days.

Prince Irvin looked at the silent girl standing near the exit and finally gave her the permission to leave. 

Sterne hurriedly curtsied and ran out like ten devils were after her soul. 

 

 


 

Earlier on the other side, at the hidden path towards Leise Mountain. The original two hundred groups have met with a huge mishap. Several torn up bodies of clerics, mages and knights were strewn haphazardly while the remaining wounded and healthy people were caught inside a circle of the monster horde.

"Why?"

"The path is supposed to be free of monsters… we are sure of it." An old magus stared out in horror. The glow of his staff growing dimmer indicated mana exhaustion. "Grandmaster Xanthous assured us there will be no danger."

Weevil spat and roared. "The grandmaster you say? It looks like you were used as well."

"Insolent fiend, keep your filthy mouth shut!"

"Oh, as if I'd care for your opinion now." Weevil sneered. "Why should I? We are all going to die anyway. I do not know if you are either devoted or just plain stupid, it was clear enough to know that you have been thrown aside just like the rest of us."

"You be quiet you little bastard, the grandmaster will never forsake us."

"It was you, you and your bunch of traitors from the damned Chivalric Order. You should have died!"

"Just keep fooling yourself old man." Weevil continued to rile him up. "Maybe your mouth can save you."

"No, no, no, it's not supposed to be like this!" The captain of Blue Robes shivered in denial. He had long thrown his arrogance away the moment they were ambushed. Earlier, he had exchanged blows with Karion and Weevil when he confronted them about their arrival at the hidden path.

Karion's answer was a sly malevolent smile. Declaring to everyone that they also came to subjugate the sacred beast. The captain shot back with a string of curses and insults since he abandoned the role of leading those adventurers to the pantheon. 

What made his fury seethed hotter was when Dorn, currently pretending to be a survivor of Aster, appeared with them. No wonder he lost the person when he came to his inn this morning. Karion has already snatched him!

It is was then clear that Karion and Weevil have turned their backs on the original goal and wants credit for themselves. The mages of Magic Bureau has long viewed them in contempt

When the horde was ready to pounce and tear them to pieces, a pillar of flame from the direction of the town appeared. The horde that was surrounding them all prostrated to the ground, tucked their tails and ran back to the mountain.

The unprecedented surprise left them all not with joy but confusion.

"The sacred beast."

"It's the sacred beast!"

The magical energy that erupted moments ago is no doubt the creature of such calibre. How could it show up in Aster? 

A curtain of silence enveloped them.

They were fooled. Not once, but many times. 

Karion and Weevil exchanged glances. Confusion to loss until eventually dark anger. 

The same expression can be seen in the faces of their companions. It appears, the journey to Leise mountain was all in vain. 

Their conclusion and root of resentment are, however, wrong. It was true that there was a sacred beast in the heart of Leise Mountain but after it had its fill of crane flowers growing on the banks of Mirror Lake it had long left the place. The monsters that once occupied the area remained in scattered groups, it was not until later that the powerful presence of the sleipnir disappeared that they began moving back. It was unfortunate for the subjugation party to run into the horde of rushing monsters, causing this tragic clash.

But who's to blame?

As for Dorn, no one paid him attention any longer. Each and every one of them is brooding over their own foolishness. He quietly snuck out of the party to retreat back where Sterne and the rest of his team were. His goal of sowing discord among the enemy is accomplished. On the way back, he saw the Halcyon knights on the trail. It looks like it's too late for those greedy bunch to run and deny their crimes now that they are caught red-handed.


 

"Oh, what have I done?!" She chastised herself as soon as they left the royal tent. 

"Milady, you must calm down." Emilia said in a low voice.

Viktor, Royce and Solis followed from behind, listening to her drone on.

"This is a mistake, I shouldn't have gone there!" 

Royce asked, "Was the prince angry with you?" 

"No, no."

"Then what are you worried about?"

"I," 

As the party made a turn a shadow came. 

Sterne just escaped the close proximity of the prince and her nerves were tight, when she felt danger approaching she fended off the attack. It all happened too quickly and before she knew it, she had accidentally thrown Monique's body to the ground when she leapt towards her for a confrontation! 

It could be said that it wasn't her fault, nor did she mean to do it. It was done by reflex.

The shrill scream pierced the quiet afternoon and alarmed many people. Monique laid flat on her back as her eyes widened in shock. 

"Ahh,  y-you, you despicable— abominable cur. How dare you?!" Monique crawled back up in a disheveled and furious state. "You threw me over! You threw me!"

"I'm very sorry, it was an accident." Sterne took a handkerchief in a fluster to help her wipe the blood trickling down her nose.

"How could you do this to a lady? Don't touch me!" Monique screamed, swatting her hand away. "Remember that when my uncle gets here I will tell on you and... get your filthy rag off I do not want it!"

Monique took her own handkerchief to wipe her nose and shot her a ferocious gaze. 

"I have never been treated so horridly."

Royce stepped forward, "What was your intention when sneaking at us so quietly?"

"Why, of course, to ask why the likes of you are skulking about His Highness' tent?" She sneered. "Did you really think the prince would deign to entertain your lot? You quickly get out of here before I call the guards!" 

She could not believe her ears when she heard that the party of these shabby adventurers came to the prince's tent. She had to see for herself and thus rushed.

A knight and medic came shortly, they bowed to Sterne much to Monique's horror. 

"His Highness sends for us, young master Sterne. May we be of assistance?"

"Impossible…"  

"Kindly see through Miss Monique's injuries." She instructed. 

"Right away." 

They helped the squeamish and furious girl into the tent but her mouth kept spewing insults and refusing Sterne's awkward apology. Apologizing once or thrice even a hundred times wouldn't make a difference. She hated her since their first meeting anyway.

"This is not the end of it. Oh, my face, you ruined my face!"

Royce could not stand the shrill voice snapped, "If you think you are something special, miss, you think wrong. I see neither talent, beauty nor intelligence in your person. There was nothing else to damage in your face." 

"Royce!" Sterne was too late to stop his sharp remark. 

Monique's lips quivered, her eyes were watery. "W-What did you call me?"

"Mediocre." He lambasted her unrestrainedly, making Sterne feel very sorry for the other girl. She tugged on Royce's sleeve to make him stop but the action only incensed him more.

"Why stop me? She is plain! I did not say anything wrong. She hasn't even done anything extraordinary either except run when the scourges came. It makes one wonder where she gets the gall to act so high and mighty."

Monique cried louder. She felt so sad and ashamed being spoken to as such. She never expected that this seemingly gentle looking boy would mercilessly spill those words towards a girl like herself. 

How come he owns such a lovable face but with a thorny mouth? He never saved her any dignity. 

Royce snorted. Now she feels offended? What about the people who were relentlessly abused by her earlier? 

She tearfully looked at him to elicit a bit of pity, unfortunately, this only made Royce repulsive of her gaze. He frowned in displeasure as though seeing the word 'opportunist' carved on her forehead.

"Young master,"

"We are not friends." 

Monique looked away in anger, fully regretting coming for them. 

Royce's anger was not completely without reason. Monique's original aim was to embarrass Sterne for coming into the prince's tent. She was greatly dissatisfied. It could be the prince's attention that earned her vexation or the fact that Sterne displayed excellent fighting skill despite not using magic. Additionally, the heaps of gratitude and praises from the adventurers might have added more to her jealousy. 

It was natural to feel inferior and envious but to act on that feeling is another matter.

"If she doesn't want your apology then leave it be." He said to Sterne, angry now that she kept apologizing. "You have shown manners and courtesy, there is no need for you to stoop lower just to accommodate her grievances! Enough."

Sterne pinched her fingers together feeling the sting of his rebuke. Well, what he said was right and she has no retort to that. It's not like she did not understand she was being disliked. She sighed before turning her back and left the Healer's tent.

Solis looked at the pretty little thing with droopy shoulders. From millennia until now the Black Knight's heart remained gentle. But what good is heart when it can be exploited and used against you? 

He let out a sigh as well causing Sterne to look up to him.

"Mr.  Solis, thank you for your assistance today."    

He smiled and rumpled her hair. "There is no need for gratitude. I did what I must."

She nodded in a quiet response. He and Royce are strangers, today's battle proved that they are no ordinary people. Viktor and Emilia are already strong and yet they folded like leaves giving in to exhaustion. These two, on the other hand, can still walk around, free of fatigue. Not even a speck of dirt on their clothes.

Where did they come from by the way?

 

Sterne decided to leave today's matter in the hands of that prince. After listening to his and Gram's conversation, she concluded it is safe to trust him. Prince Irvin may look genial and amicable, but he is decisive and resolute when it involves the kingdom's overall safety. A good trait for the future sovereign. Anyway, she gathered whatever information she could, the rest of the decision is up to him.

She left the fief for almost six days now, Sir Ahmose and Miss Amy only gave her ten days for 'sightseeing' and 'experience' better not squander the opportunity given lest she won't get another.

"Kid, wait!" 

Following them from behind was Gram. 

"I forgot to thank you for helping me earlier." He said scratching the back of his head. "You were the one who stopped Sil from shooting me with an arrows when I was busy with the scourge, correct?"

She neither acknowledged nor denied it.

"Thank you anyway. Are you going to leave just like that? A secret door suddenly appeared inside of the pantheon. Aren't you going to come with us and explore the ruin's bottom floors? The Halcyon knights' scouting party said there are monsters below. It would be another kind of adventure so…"

"I would love to but I cannot stay longer." She explained further telling him that she was only allowed to go out for a limited time.

Gram understood her meaning. The little 'boy' does not seem to be the kind who is in desperate need of money, he could see through their extraordinary bearings their implied strict backgrounds. They were so unlike him that was free, his purpose is the benefits that the ruin can offer. 

Sterne learned earlier that Gram needed a lot of money to buy back their property and to hire a Healer for his mother and sister. For that she admires him who works hard to support his family.  

"Since I cannot join you, why don't I leave this here and have you fill it up with my share?" She said, pushing her very first spatial bag to his hand. "You did not carry a sack with you considering you are about to explore ruins. I say, big brother, aren't you a little forgetful for your age?"

He smiled sheepishly and accepted the unassuming brown satchel. He did not pay too much attention to it at first, what the boy said was right, he had no bag nor a sack so where is he going to put his loots? Later he will find that the simple bag did not only help him gain advantage down at the ruins but also became his ticket into elevating the status of his founded party.     



4