3: (As the Brush Wills)
214 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

3: (As the Brush Wills)

=====

At the siege of the Demon dimension Grandmaster Jiang wore a younger man’s clothes. No better than a new recruit that was finally promoted to an inner disciple, even then he was just a plain doctor who worked behind the scenes. 

Perhaps Jiang thought himself a coward for not joining his long since departed friends that protected the frontlines on the battlefield. It mattered little as too who was the strongest but those left behind to survive. 

Nonetheless the Heavenly Demon King and his horde decimated the greatest orthodox warriors. The result of which left the greater cultivation world in shambles. 

Any connections with the heavens were severed when the highest court ruled by immortals and deities fell. In the ensuing chaos the newly created power vacuum needed to be filled. 

Therefore Sects that tended to focus on one niche subject rose. Thus it was the ever popular opinion that groups like the Mystic Dragon that had many areas of specialization were destined to fail.

The Five Phoenixes Sabers, Obsidian Turtle Leaf Clan, and Triade Tiger Tribe were gone. It only made sense for the Mystic Dragon Sect to be next.

Meanwhile the daily life for the next generation of cultivators was stagnant as it was prosperous and dangerous.     

Due to mysterious forces Shao Zheng, one of the top pupils suffered a Qi Deviation, but at the Core Formation stage it was common. However, Grandmaster Jiang believed malicious forces to be at work.            

On a more comedic note a pair of disciples decided to “spice up” their dual cultivation with a rare plant. Since the effect was too powerful Grandmaster Jiang was forced to comb through old archives for a cure.   

“Grandmaster, I believe it's of utmost importance that we finally have that talk to refresh things.” The scathing voice of Shao Zheng cut through the silence of the library. 

Which of course the sudden noise unintentionally succeeded in almost scaring the living daylights out of Grandmaster Jiang. 

Given that Shao Zheng couldn’t go a day without training it was normal for him to be out of bed, although as a doctor Jiang would prescribe a week of rest.   

For a minute the elder cultivator thought he was seeing a ghost, Shao Zheng’s father; Shao Qing the Conquer of Tides. Yet that vision of the past promptly disappeared.

Direct descendants of the Azure Dragon were from the Meng family but after decades the lineage split off into the Jiang and Shao. 

Since Beastkin had the ability to shape shift many were hunted in secret for ingredients because the practice was looked down upon. Combined with the ensuing war against Demons they were no more.  

Literally they were taken for granite. Although because of the coupling of Shao Qin and a nameless common rogue cultivator, a known member of the bloodline remained. 

That and it was only after a close to death situation Shao Zheng’s dragon heritage reared an ugly head. At a glance pinpricked irises and slanted eyes scrutinized Grandmaster Jiang.  

=====

My second impression of Grandmaster Jiang is that he was an astronaut lost in space.

Nonetheless there was next to nothing about him in the original novel so I kept my guard slightly up. However, he also seemed to be the type of person that I could trust.   

Meanwhile since other people were studying I tried to get his attention in the politest way possible. Considering that I had qualms about the mishap I made previously, uncertainty may have carried over to my speech. 

Once old man Jiang finally gathered his bearings he was back to looking as wise as ever. Yet then he proceeded to clear his throat and roll up the scroll he had been reading…

All it took was for a split second for me to nearly choke on my own tongue! To sum up the situation, it's best explained that Grandmaster has very questionable taste. 

The document he held was called “Demonic Plant Milking and Potent Aphrodisiacs 101.” It's okay for everyone to be into different things, but a small portion of respect I had for the dude was shattered.  

“It's good to see that the young master is committed as ever to cultivation but rest is imperative as well!”   

I’m not sure where the sudden lecture was coming from but whatever. The sooner this awkward situation was over the better. 

“My memories are a little foggy so do you mind enlightening me on the nature of things  and any upcoming events?” I inquired. 

His words were similar to how a quack doctor might list off a diagnosis. “There's the Inner Council meeting in a few days. The boat race competition with the Scorpion Flower Pharmacy’s disciples is next month. Then once frost on the ground heralds in autumn the Hua Swordsmen are entertaining guest students for a term.”     

“Interesting, that’s exactly what I wanted to know.”

“Still… If you continue to feel under the weather I refuse to let you attend any of the events besides the meeting.”

“As it stands I promise that I’m fine. Now if you'll excuse me there are important matters I have to get back to.”  

Ugh, for the most part I got the information I needed but at the time I was still completely clueless. There were plenty of questions I longed to ask yet such an action is what I deemed as acting out of character. 

Hence I did the next best thing I could think of. The archivist paid no mind as I carried a stack of books out of the library. Following that my next step was to find a secluded place to hunker down.

As trifling as the Azure Pavilion was to navigate, I spotted many good locations to study. Eventually I settled in an area that was under a small pagoda near one of the numerous ponds.

Koi swam slowly under crystal clear water while reeds and lotus bobbed on the surface. Next time I would make sure to bring food to feed some fish. 

Finally I cracked open one of the encyclopedias that were laid out in front of me. Thus I sat cross legged and began to read.           

In terms of the book's continents a lot of it was metaphysics stuff that I had a hard time grasping. Whereas things like talismans and seals were easier to understand if I applied modern day math. 

Soon enough my thoughts ventured to the subject that was the different levels of cultivation.  

Compared to other stories, power scaling in the universe of [Immortal Rankers of the Six Realms] was watered down and confusing. There was Meridian Unlocking, Core Formation, Nauseant Soul Awakening, and Heavenly Ascension stages.    

Can’t forget to mention the exceptions to that natural order. Apparently if enough people thanked the humbled deeds of a farmer he might become a god of agriculture. 

It's probably even possible for a wicked Demon to become a tranquil monk, etc. While an immortal at the dissatisfaction of the Jade Emperor is easily cast out of the sky.     

Maybe one of the great universal truths about cultivation is there's no set in stone path to reaching divinity in any of the Six Realms. That being said it's just a theory, a dumb theory. 

Inedia is the practice for fasting. While my cultivation level was certainly high enough that I could go without eating, I preferred to go with the latter option.  

Tomorrow was bound to be exhausting because in the morning I had plans to start with stretches and pick up a blade.    

The suns began to set which bathed everything in an orange glow. Therefore I took that as my que to head back but along the way get some food.

3