Dark Descent
358 12 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What time is it?

I woke up from my sorrowful slumber and wiped the drool from my mouth with my sleeve, blinking a bit to readjust my eyes to the sudden brightness of the classroom. A very empty classroom, that is. It seems like no one woke me up for lunch again, so I hurriedly stood up and made my way to the door after grabbing my bookbag. I took my phone out of my pocket only to realize the battery was dead.

What? I had just charged it this morning. I really hope it isn't broken. I wasn't even sure if I could even afford to repair a broken phone, let alone afford to actually even get someone to look at it. I head back and attempt to plug it in to an outlet just to be safe, figuring out that it wouldn't even turn on or charge at all. Great. I yank the charger out of the wall and leave, cursing under my breath.

The hallways were a bit quieter than usual, but I didn't really care nor pay attention that much. I just made my way down the stairs and walked towards the cafeteria. Strangely enough, my scheduled bathroom break did not occur. Usually I would need to pee around lunchtime, but my lack of breakfast was probably the cause of this. Finally arriving at the breezeway, I enter the cafeteria. I stood in front of the door for a minute before realizing it was empty. No staff, no teachers,  no lunch ladies, and no students. I rubbed my eyes thinking I may have still been tripping or something but nothing had changed. I yell into the empty lunchroom. No answer. Slightly panicking, I check the clock on the wall to see what time it was. The clock hands were missing and it appeared that time itself had ran away. 

*Ding!*

What? What was that? I looked around, sweat falling from my forehead. My breathing had sped up and my heart was racing.

"Hello...?"

I quickly ran outside the cafeteria only to realize there was nothing there. The outside of the cafeteria had disappeared. Completely erased from existence. I turned back to realize everything was gone. I was standing on absolutely nothing, floating in a void. My breathing stopped too.

You have died!

What...?

I couldn't even describe this feeling. I was completely void of every sensation that one would normally feel. Everything that once was, isn't anymore. I've gone away now it seems. The blue box that had suddenly appeared in front of me said so at least. I twitched a bit, subconsciously smiling at the sudden message I received. This was short-lived as I suddenly frowned. Wait, what even is this thing? What is even happening right now? My heartbeat couldn't even be felt anymore, but just the memories of my anxiety made sure I was on edge nevertheless. I tried to touch the mysterious floating box only for my hand, or rather what my hand had been replaced with, to phase directly through it. My entire body had turned into some ethereal mass, like a ghost or something. This was... unnerving.

Although nothing happened the first time, I still swiped at the box. I was already on edge, so attempting to make the only bright thing in this comfortable darkness disappear was my first goal. To my luck, it did end up disappearing. Very neat, I guess. At this point in time, I didn't even want to question what was even happening anymore. I had turned into some sort of ghostly being and was floating in a void. I simply assumed I was dreaming and had actually hadn't woken up yet. This thought process had calmed me down thankfully.

Do you accept your end?

I mean...

Let's be reasonable here. No one really wants to die, but rather just stop living. If that makes any sense. Anyway, yeah. Pretty much. Did you expect me to think something else? The things that were currently happening in my life were so insufficient that I'm surprised I hadn't killed myself earlier. I mean living was already tough enough, so how hard could dying be? I mean, c'mon. This is a dream anyways, right? None of this is even real. This is just a strange lucid dream that happens every so often. It had to be. I had tried to do it once before, in an attempt to have a bit of harmless fun during my sleep. I always wondered how lucid dreaming actually worked. Am I just supposed to think things into existence?  What would I want right now... 

Would you like to be reborn?

A selection pane appeared in front of me. with yes and no options. Reborn? I mean, I don't see why not. I select the "Yes" button with no hesitation, deciding to let the dream do most of the hard work for me. The screen disappeared, the void quickly getting brighter and brighter. There was nothing left except the bright light in front of me. There was nothing left. It's time.

Please wait...

*4 days later*

I don't know what is even happening anymore. It was a very cold feeling, if that's what you could even call it. I had been floating in some sort of dark cavern aimlessly for a while. My body had completely transformed into an ethereal mist of some sort and I was struggling to actually move how I wanted to the entire time. I can't say that it mattered too much, as I didn't really know where to go from here. I didn't even care. There were other beings that were similar to me that lingered around as well. When I ended up floating too close to them, a somewhat pleasant feeling occurred and the funny box popped up again.

You have consumed a (1) Lesser Spirit! You are now level 2! You learned "Projection".

I gained experience every time I ate one of these lesser spirits. You know, like some sort of RPG game. There was no more rationalizing any of this and I just accepted the fact that I had turned into some sort of Pokémon. I had finally eaten five of them after days of floating around doing absolutely nothing. I know, boring right? I started to realize that this probably wasn't a dream after a couple of hours of this same charade. This meant I could expect the most likely scenario as it was presented to me. I had actually died, and I had reincarnated as some sort of ghost. Great. This is exactly how I wanted to spend the rest of, well, the remainder of my life. If I even am alive, which I'm probably not considering this status of mine.

Status
INFO EGO
JOB
HP:  12/12 STR: 0 INT: 7 Lesser Spirit (2)
MP: 6/6 DEF: 0 AGI: 1 N/A
Rank: F- LUCK: 14 WILL: 11 N/A

Yeah. I'm some sort of lesser spirit now. Undead creature, blob, mass, or crime. Doesn't matter. I'm no longer human. My humanity is gone as well as my past life. Everything I did until now, all the skills I had acquired meant nothing to me as a spirit. I can't say that I should feel obligated to feel sad or something though. My past life was horrible, literally putting effort into just getting up in the morning was making me want to kill myself. I had nothing going for me. So why, why am I feeling this way...

15