The Syndrome
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I have a weird sleeping syndrome. I know this is weird to start off with, but I get these hazy but lucid dreams all the time. I told my parents at the time but they ignored me. It's not until I went missing for a day did they notice anything wrong with me. Everything they did changed nothing but cause my behavior to change with it, since I couldn't ignore what I saw in my dreams.

I was taken to a psychologist, but they couldn't get anything defined about what I saw when I slept, but requested I make a notebook on them. A Dream Journal as they say. I listened though, noting down all the creatures I saw in my dreams. Mostly out of the window of my bedroom, but sometimes when my dreams became lucid I was not in my room, standing in the country park that old people fed pigeons and kids played on the playground. 

The creatures were never completely awful, Just slightly weird and sort of there. Like if I was seeing a shadow turning a corner, they flickered and swayed as if they'd be gone at any moment. Back when I went missing did I notice it wasn't normal. They say, my parents, that I was sitting on the park bench asleep. I thought it was all a dream? 

Sometimes when I was writing in my journal I started making up things I thought were true, like a researcher jotting down notes on anything. The Psychologist when he saw them only told me that I had an impressive imagination, and that I had a quite serious case of sleepwalking. We moved from that town a week later, since I somehow kept sleepwalking to that park. 

That was the strangest thing though, I tested it once, and only once, since we moved the next day. After that diagnosis, My parents locked up the house, multiple locks on my door, the front door, and all of the windows. I still somehow got out into the street. I knew I was dreaming as always, but I saw a ripple of something smoke-like at our door, and I walked through it. It felt like I was walking through a thick liquid, and went to the park, notebook in hand. The next day My parents and I had to move. They said it was for work but I think they were trying to get me away from the park. 

We moved to a bigger city, much more noisy and smelly. My syndrome was getting worse, but my parents couldn't tell. How was I supposed to tell them I could see what I saw in my dreams whenever I closed my eyes?

 

 

It's been 3 years. I'm 14 now, and my syndrome has plateaued. I have multiple journals of the creatures I can see, so they can't scare me since I know they don't mean to. Since I can control my walking my parents think it's gone away. I don't bother trying to prove it to them anymore. In return they let me hang out in the city's park more often. The creatures I see tend to hang out where nature is, the ones in the city are grayish, while out there they have much more color. 

Then I met a man. I did what I usually did on the weekends, sitting out in the park at 9am till the afternoon. When I got to one of my usual benches there was an odd looking man sitting there. He looked dazed, one eyepatch and the other eye had had a white pupil, making the man blind. His cane was a gnarly piece of wood with strange carvings on it. They were the same carvings on his eyepatch. In all honesty he looked pretty cool. 

 So I didn't mess with the man, other then giving an acknowledging nod and sitting down. Pulling out my sketchbook and charcoal pencils I started to sketch the landscape, in the same black and white I see with my eyes closed. A few sparks of color whenever one of the creatures are there. The comfortable silence falling over me. 

"Can you see it?" 

I spun around facing the man. He was still looking into the distance, as if he hadn't spoken, but he spoke again, without moving. 

"You can. You are the one who can see past the seen. The fire without eyes. I've been searching for you."

"What?" I looked at him confused. 

"Don't try to deny it, you can see what others do not. I know for I can see too." He points to the creature I was sketching. 

"What do you see?" 

"In simpler terms all I know is something is there. In abstract, the truth." He sighs and leans back. 

"That doesn't mean anything." I was slowly inching away from the man. 

"I can't see it the way you do. Mine's artificial." The old man lifts his eye patch, and nothing was there. Just an empty socket.

"You'll have to look without your eyes to see what I mean." The old man states, keeping his eyepatch lifted.

I close my eyes and I do see what he means. From his eye socket a beam of yellow light emanates straight out, hitting the creature in the distance. The creature itself looks pleased, hopping about energetically. 

"How do you do that?" 

"I am what Is without the Ego. If you want to learn more, come back at midnight tonight." and with that the old man gets up and leaves. I try to follow him and ask questions, but he doesn't answer, as if I'm not even there, hails a taxi and leaves. 

I walk home, In a sort of daze, eating dinner, small talk with my parents and getting in bed. Am I going to learn more about my ability? Do I even want too?

1