Chapter Forty-One: The House of Mac and Cheese
95 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nestled on a side-street in the False Creek district of Vancouver stood the Craft Beer Market. From the exterior, one might have assumed it was an old factory or warehouse– and they’d have been right. It once served as the center of trade for salt in the city from the 1930’s. Prior to the 2010 Olympics, it had fallen into disrepair. But with the neighborhood’s renewal, the old industrial structure changed with the times, and became one of the most popular restaurants in the area.

The interior had retained much of its original design. The basement was almost untouched, and visitors to the establishment’s bathrooms could gaze through the glass walls to see a glimpse of the building’s original purpose.

Miles sat across from Quinn tucked away in a corner of the main floor. The ceilings were still lined with the old metal tubes he presumed were once used to move refined salt to various stations within the old warehouse– but were now used to hide the numerous tubes that delivered over a hundred different types of beer and ale on tap.

Quinn looked as fresh as the last time he’d seen her– it had been three weeks, but with all that had happened, it felt like much longer. From her rejection of his proposal to his throwing himself into his new role with Project Babel, it might as well have been a lifetime.

“I guess they’re not serving Bishop and Rook,” Quinn commented while perusing the menu. “I heard half their staff died during the… you know.”

Miles, for his part, remained quiet.

“So what are you getting?” Quinn asked.

“I’m not very hungry,” he responded. There was some venom behind his words. He was still hurt by what had transpired. By what she had said to him when he tried to propose. Part of him wanted to ghost her, to ignore her entirely and not come out. It wasn’t as if he didn’t have more pressing concerns than to hear her out.

“Well,” Quinn said, oblivious to his attitude, “I guess I’ll go for the Baja Chicken Salad. You should try the Mac and Cheese. It sounds really good.”

Miles raised an eyebrow at her. He knew her well enough to know that was her way of saying she really wanted the Mac and Cheese, but wanted him to make the decision for her so she could enjoy it guilt-free.

“Quinn, if you want the Mac and Cheese just order it,” he snapped.

She dropped the menu and looked up at him. “Miles,” she began. “I’m sorry. Look I’m just… I’m trying to make peace here.”

“The last time I saw you, you acted like I was a burden you had to let down gently,” he replied. “Three years we were together, Quinn, and you pretended like I was just an infatuated summer fling.”

Quinn sighed and leaned back in her seat, twirling a lock of her blonde hair. “I know,” she said. “I told you, I was scared.”

“You could have fooled me,” he said.

Quinn remained silent for a moment, looking down. “You’re right,” she said. She reached for her purse. “This was a mistake. I shouldn’t have called you.”

“So why did you?” he asked. “Why now?”

She sighed. “When I saw you on TV the other day, it… it just reminded me why I fell in love with you. The way you defended that girl from the other world. I guess I… I guess I just missed it. Maybe even a little jealous.”

“Jealous?” Miles asked. “Of Sizilen? She’s an assignment. Nothing more.”

“She’s pretty, though. Your type.”

“She’s a foreign dignitary,” he said. “I’m just her handler.”

“Does she know that?” Quinn asked.

“What are you trying to say?”

Quinn shook her head. “I guess… I guess I was afraid you’d moved on.”

“Is that what this is about? You see me on TV and you’re upset that I’m not laying in the fetal position pining over you?” He furrowed his brow.

“Of course not,” Quinn said. “I knew you’d move on. You’ve always been more emotionally mature than other guys. It’s just that… I don’t know, part of me hoped you’d try to fight for me.”

“You made your feelings extremely clear, Quinn. You ended this.” He growled, and she shrank back, avoiding eye contact.

He suddenly got the sense he was going too far, and took a deep breath. It was obvious even to him he had some unresolved issues with Quinn, but he had more important things to focus on than her. The dinner that night was a courtesy– a willingness to show that he was willing to have a clean break. A chance for closure. He decided to change the subject.

“Sorry,” he said. “You said you got a new job?”

She nodded. “Last week,” she replied. “I got headhunted via LinkedIn. You’ve heard of Exterra?”

“The oil company?”

She nodded. “Not just oil. They’ve got their fingers in everything from deep sea resource extraction to prospects for asteroid mining. Anyway, I’m now the personal assistant for Justin Madding,” she explained, wearing an excited smile.

“Is that name supposed to mean something?”

She shrugged. “He’s the Vice President of Operations,” she explained. “They saw my experience, reached out and offered to hire me right after my interview. I beat out like fifteen other candidates.”

Quinn had been working as a personal assistant to a prominent fashion designer in Toronto since she’d gotten out of college, so the role made sense.

“How’s the pay?”

“The pay is amazing,” she explained. “And part of the job is I go where he goes, so I’ll be in Vancouver for at least a few weeks. He’s here for some negotiations with a foreign investor or something.” She leaned forward. “What about you? I have got to hear all the juicy details about this other worlds. It’s so wild.”

“I can’t really talk about that–”

“Yes, yes. National Security. I know. They talked to me as part of your background check. I’m not asking you to give up state secrets, but like… come on. The inside edge? What’s Sizilen actually like?”

Miles sighed. “Smart,” he explained. “A quick study. She picked up English really fast.”

“So she’s some kind of princess from another world?”

“No, that’s not… exactly right. She’s a Clan-Mother, which gives her some political power, but–” he shook his head. “I can’t really get into it.”

“What can you get into? There must be some juicy gossip you can–”

“Nothing,” he said sternly. “I can’t talk about it. Sorry.”

Quinn sighed. “No, I’m sorry. I know you can’t really get into it. I just…” she paused. “Look I’m just going to lay it out. I messed up, Miles.”

“What do you mean?”

“I said things I didn’t really believe. I was scared, I was confused and on-the-spot,” she explained. “But I have not been able to stop replaying that day over and over in my mind. Did you know I even went to your hotel later that night? I was hoping to talk it out, but that’s when I saw on your Instagram you were going to Victoria. I was just… so overwhelmed I didn’t know how to respond. So I hurt you.” She reached out across the table toward him. “That’s the last thing I wanted.”

“But it was the first thing you did,” Miles said.

“I know. I admit that. But… look, I still love you. And I think– I hope you still love me.”

“Of course I do,” Miles said. “It’s not easy to fall out of love. But Quinn, you can’t just take all that back. You said things to me I’ll never be able to forget.”

“I know,” she said. “I know you won’t be able to forget, but I was hoping you could forgive.” She sighed. “I’m not ready to let you go yet, Miles. But everything is in your court now. If you aren’t willing to try, then there’s nothing to be done.” She looked him dead in the eye. “Is there any hope between the two of us?”

Miles wasn’t quite sure how to respond. His first instinct was to yell at her. Maybe even laugh at her. He couldn’t deny there was a part of him that wanted a reconciliation. A part of him that longed for Quinn. To lay with her in his arms, to be in each other’s company.

But it was too much for him.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea,” he said. “I’ve got my new assignment. You’ve got a new job. Maybe it’s best we just find what closure we can and move on with our lives.”

“But what does closure look like?” Quinn asked.

Miles looked across the table at her and remained silent while he thought out his response. “No hard feelings,” he said. “We wish each other well, and move on.”

Quinn looked down at her hands. “Does it have to end tonight?”

“Quinn, it ended weeks ago.”

“I know but… look, I’m just not having an easy time of this.”

Miles sighed. “You’re in town until next week?”

She nodded. “Mr. Madding’s got a few meetings, some events to attend. Then we’re going to Switzerland for a conference.”

“Look let’s just… for tonight, let’s not worry about it,” he said. “Let’s just be two friends having dinner on a work night. We can figure out the rest before you leave. Is that an acceptable outcome?”

Quinn nodded. “I think I can do that.”

“Hi are you ready to order?” asked the waitress approaching the table.

“Oh!” Quinn exclaimed. “Oh yes, I’ll have your house Mac and Cheese!”

2