16. Jingyi Bo Gets Into The Library
53 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jingyi Bo stood in the entrance hall of the library, her usually timid features turned to anger.

“What do you mean I can’t come in?!”

“I’m sorry, sir, but you can’t. Only the instructors are allowed in here. Them, and me. Though I’m only here to tidy and keep people out, so …” The rambling Qin boy trailed off, as though that was a good enough explanation. He had a kind of punchable face, Bo reckoned, though she had to note that she was in quite a mood.

Not even an hour prior, Bo had learned that there was a library at all. A rumoured repository of knowledge from all three of the great nations (and possibly even the not-so-great ones), she had hoped that she might find some information regarding the other two disciplines she had recently awakened to. With nothing but the basics being drilled into her, even Jingyi Bo was a little antsy to see what else there was. Yet, here she was, staring up at some student.

“What’d you say your name was, again?”

“I, er, didn’t, sir. Seo In-Soo. And you are--”

“So ‘n’ so, or whatever your name is, I’m gonna figure out how to get back there, even if it takes me all day!”

“Again, it’s Seo In-Soo, and I wouldn’t suggest that. Magus Hwang personally put up some powerful formations to keep unwanted interlopers out.”

Bo didn’t have much to say to that, but she didn’t expect to force her way in either. Fighting wasn’t really her style (to say nothing of her skill in the matter), so this was going to be an issue of information. Unable to rebut the Qin (Goryeon?) man with the punchable face and unremarkable name, she turned on her heel and walked out.

“So, how’d it go?” Chao was waiting outside, along with Youni, Wang, and Tatsumaki. The muscle-bound man had apparently attached himself to the group after finding out he had been left out of the marketplace adventure the other day.

“Not great. Some guy’s at the desk saying that only the instructors are allowed to read stuff from the library.”

“What’s the point of havin’ a library if you can’t check the books in it?!” Chao shook his head. Wang shook his head along with him. Youni snickered. Tatsumaki … just continued standing there. Apparently, he hadn’t figured out what his thing was yet. Perhaps something to do with those crazy eyebrows?

“Did you happen to catch the man’s name?” Wang Wei gently pushed Chao aside.

“So and So, or something like that.”

“Ah, Seo In-Soo. Young scion of the newly renamed Seo family, a family noted for having moved entirely from Qin to Goryeo sometime within the last 100 years, to better study magic. They are collectors of tomes, archivists, and quite avid readers. Or so I have heard.”

Everyone stared at Wang. Bo was somewhat flabbergasted “Did … you have that all just ready to go?”

“Chao knows everyone in the Academy of note. I make it a point of knowing everything Chao knows.”

All eyes turned to Chao, who just nodded as though he knew what was going on.

“So, what does that all mean, anyways? Chao?”

“Heh, I dunno! Probably means he got picked for the job of receptionist because he’s a huge book-nerd or something.”

“... Wang, do you know anything more?”

“I know everything Chao knows.”

A slap rang out as Bo buried her face in her hand.

--

“So, only the instructors and the receptionist can get in?” Izumi confirmed the details as they were explained, now that the gang had moved from the library to the Saoka pitch. While the guys practiced some of their martial arts forms, Bo went over the entire exchange with the girls.

“Well, ya can’t be an instructor. Yer a bit, erm, inexperienced fer that, Bo.” Hizashi’s normally brilliant smile passed behind a cloud as she attempted to soften the blow.

“If you can’t be an instructor … why not become the receptionist?”

“What? They can’t possibly want to have two receptionists, right? I can’t exactly walk up to Elder Hwang and say, ‘Hey, kick that so an’ so guy out, and let me do it instead! I promise I won’t eat the books’.”

“Why did you have to specify not eating the books … ? Anyway, my suggestion is, why don’t we try and remove him from the role?”

“Sounds a li’l bit risky--”

“Sounds like a great idea!” Chao rather suddenly burst in past Hizashi. “Why don’t we all come up with an idea, and we can each try an’ get him to leave?”

Before the girls could say ‘That sounds like it could backfire really easily’, all of the guys shouted a hearty “Yeah!” and it was a simple matter of being outvoted. All nine of them sat in a circle and thought up plans. Only time would tell how well they would work.

--

Around midday, the group returned to the library. Each of them had an idea they would act upon and, when one failed, the next would try. The order was decided by pulling numbered slips of paper from a pouch and, to everyone’s surprise but her own, Jingyi Bo was last. Chao Da was up first. Everyone else carefully peeked through a crack in the door - there was no way any of them was going to miss seeing what would happen.

With all the confidence of a great ruler, Chao Da strode up to the reception desk.

“I’m sorry, the library is off-limits to students at this time.” Seo In-Soo barely looked up to see who it was, apparently rather busy reading through a small, dusty book.

“A-hem, Mr So. I’m afraid you are quite mistaken. You see, I am the son of a great and powerful noble family of Qin - the Chao family has reach even here, you see, and it has been permitted for me--”

“Mr Chao, I presume. Unless the Emperor himself descended and told me otherwise, this library is off-limits to students. Leave now, or I shall be forced to make you leave.”

Chao’s fancy noble act shattered like glass, and he fled as the young man began to pull out a rather elegant-looking talisman. Next up was Wang Wei.

“Do you require an assistant to help you sorting out this library?” Wang’s approach was quite straightforward.

“No, thank you. Will all of you out there be doing something similar to this … ?”

“I am afraid so.”

“Emperor preserve me …”

--

Youni De and Tatsumaki Ryu were a complete write-off of an attempt. Both had seemingly attempted to stand there until Seo decided to concede - both had taken an entire hour of their precious time, as the man continued reading and ignored them.

“Avenge us, Ichiro …” Ryu dramatically fell to his knee before Amai, who gave a sweet smile and trotted in. The man was barely thirty seconds before returning. Bo hadn’t heard what had been said, but it had been decisive.

“What happened?!”

“He did not want to go on a date.” Amai simply shrugged. Hoshikawa Junpei sighed.

“Not everyone shares your eagerness for a sunset stroll, cousin.”

“Isn’t it your turn, Junpei?”

Junpei hopped back a full metre and crossed his arms. “I’m not participating in this inane game. Ms Hizashi, it’s your turn.”

Hizashi was gone for barely thirty seconds.

“Guess he din’t want to go on a date with me, either!”

Izumi and Bo shook their heads and sighed. From inside, Seo was looking expectantly at them, awaiting the next challenger.

“Okay, ironically, Amai and Hizashi had the right idea, but their execution was flawed. Jingyi, look at this …”

--

“So, remind me again why we’re followin’ this girl?”

The group had gone from hiding behind the door of the library to barely hiding behind a series of benches, bushes and other small obstacles in a nearby courtyard. The girl in question was a half-spirit, who could have been mistaken for Qin if it wasn’t for her tiger-like fangs. She was rather strong-looking, but otherwise fairly unremarkable. It wouldn’t have been a shock if someone specifically looking for half-spirits would overlook her.

“Chao, I explained an entire plan-- you at least remember what to do, right?”

“Of course! Chao never forgets a mad-cap plan, Senior Izumi!”

“Jingyi, why does he insist on calling me Senior? I specifically asked him to stop.”

Bo’s shrug went largely unnoticed. “Chao, we’re following her because that So-or-whatever guy has a crush on her. If we can get them together, then he won’t have time to stay locked up in the library all day.”

“And you know that how?” Chao looked back at Bo, who looked over at Izumi. Izumi simply smirked.

“That’s a secret~”

“P-Pyeon!” A surprised cry turned their attention to the courtyard. Apart from the rest of the group, who had hidden themselves well, there were only two people there - Seo In-Soo, and Pyeon Sa-Rang. “I didn’t expect to meet you here.”

“Either did I … I just had the strangest encounter.” Makoto’s plan had involved altering the routes the two took to reach home. Tatsumaki had stood implacably in the alleyway Seo usually skipped through, forcing him to take the long way around the library towards his dormitory. Youni De had taken a seat in Pyeon’s usual afternoon snack eating spot, leaving her to find an alternative - The fact that he had covered every other bench in the area with grease using his spiritual art narrowed down her choices considerably.

The pair took a seat on a covered bench, with Pyeon’s afternoon snack between them. Rivalling in size a full-course meal, the stack of boxed lunches were nothing before the woman’s apparently voracious appetite. Attempting to strike up a conversation was fruitless for Seo, the sound of her munching impossible to penetrate. It was time for part two of the plan.

“We meet again, Mr So!”

“Mr Da. How unexpected to see you again.” Chao had swaggered his way over to the pair. Pyeon had barely taken her eye off her meal, but Seo was on high alert.

“I didn’t expect to find you here in my spot,” he smirked, using his height to loom somewhat over the smaller Seo, “But here. You. Are. Don’t s’pose you’re ready to cough up the toll for using someone else’s sitting spot, are you?”

“How the mighty have fallen, Mr Da. Is this a joke, or are you seriously attempting to mug me?” Seo’s eyes glowed green for a moment and he looked Chao up and down. “You couldn’t hurt me if you tried.”

“I-I s’pose I’ll let you off with a li’l warning this time, Mr So! But say, what a pretty, erm … is she alright?”

Pyeon had finished devouring one of the boxes full of various treats and was moving onto the next one - dumplings were disappearing at a concerning rate. Seo cleared his throat politely. “Ms Pyeon works very hard, and deserves herself a treat from time to time.”

As though sensing that someone was coming near her food, Pyeon looked up, ate a dumpling whole in a single gulp, and growled a terrifying, low growl. Chao excused himself immediately, much to Izumi’s dismay.

“Alright, Amai! Plan B!”

With the disgraced Chao out of sight, Amai Ichiro sauntered into view. He had been just around the corner, working up a sweat - the top half of his robe was pulled open to fall around his waist, leaving his impeccable musculature on full, sweaty display. If the land of Yamato had such things as fashion magazines, Amai would have been a staple feature of their covers.

“Whew, what a work-out! Do you mind if I sit here?” Without waiting for a response, Amai sat himself down on the only unoccupied piece of the bench, next to Seo. Both of the two Goryeon students turned to look at him in surprise, their eyes drinking him in. A small blush graced Seo’s face as he had the wherewithal to look away, but Pyeong didn’t stop staring. Instead, her face turned into a snarl. I feel like I should have asked what Plan B entailed - is this good?!

“Mr Seo, I apologise for my earlier conduct.” Amai put a gentle hand on the man’s shoulder, subtly forcing him to turn and look him in the eye. The afternoon light glistened along the sweat on his face, and Bo found herself blushing as she realised how close the two boys were. Pyeong had noticed too, her eating slowing to a carefully measured gulping.

“I-It’s no problem, I just … wasn’t expecting such a question. To think that a man would ask such a thing … I’ve heard it's rather more acceptable in Yamato.”

“We may no longer be in Yamato, but we’re no longer in Qin or Goryeo, either.” Amai reached a hand up to Seo’s chin, tactically hesitating for just a moment before turning it to ensure their eyes were locked. “Perhaps it's time you embraced more foreign traditions …?”

Half a dumpling fell out of Pyeon’s mouth and back into her lunch box. Her jaw had dropped, her eyes wide, her entire body tensed and ready.

“What … what did this man ask you, In-Soo?” Her words were slow and methodical - Bo noted the use of his given name. Even Seo seemed a little surprised.

“He, um, asked me--”

“I asked him if he wouldn’t mind taking a stroll with me, perhaps to somewhere we could enjoy a private moment to get to know one another.” Amai’s smile was gorgeously sweet. Bo genuinely couldn’t tell if this was an act or not. If it was, it was fooling Pyeon. “Why don’t we go now, and--”

“GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY IN-SOO!” The half-spirit girl pounced, bristling with uncontained fury. Makoto smirked, and Bo at once saw the genius of her plan. Amai used his body-hardening technique to survive the girl’s blows - she may have been only a mage, but she was still a half-spirit with the heritage of a tiger. Her nails, evidently rather sharp, shredded bright red lines in Amai’s face and across his arms - the man begged her forgiveness.

“I can’t let a pretty-boy like you sweep up my precious In-Soo! You’ll never talk to him again, got it?!” 

“Precious … ?”

“Yes, yes! I’d never stand in between true love! I can see now - you two are perfect for each other!”

Amai worked his charm one last time and Pyeon relented her assault. Hopping off of him, she grinned broadly.

“Pyeon, what is this all about?” Seo was mostly just confused. The girl grabbed him in a tight squeeze of a hug, and Bo could’ve sworn she had heard a crack.

“In-Soo! I can’t take it a moment longer! I’ve been in love with you from the moment I laid eyes on you! But you’re from a powerful family, and I’m just a lowly girl who got in on a technicality--”

“Pyeon, no, don’t speak like that. Here in the Academy we’re equals … nothing can keep us apart.”

“In-Soo! You feel the same way?! Oh, ancestors, I’ve never had a happier day! I’ll never leave your side!” As if to emphasise her point, Pyeon pulled Seo into a deep kiss. Bo almost felt like cheering - Amai offered his silent nod of approval as he snuck away.

“Pyeon … no, Sa-Rang! I love you! I love you with all my heart! I’ll make you those sweets you like every day, and those pies you like, and rolls, and … oh, where am I even going to find the time? I can’t just leave my duties at the library …”

“My sweet In-Soo, why don’t you just get someone else to do it? Tucked away in that stuffy old library, I can never come see you … why don’t you just hand it to someone lonely-looking? Like, uh … that person!”

Pyeon let Seo go just enough to see where she was pointing - right at Bo, who had just moments before been forced out of the bush she was hiding behind by Amai’s return.

We did it!

--

“... So, the library needs to be cleaned at least twice a week, the chairs and tables kept free of obstructions, and the catalogue checked over at least monthly - the task takes about that long. Any missing items need to be reported directly to Magus Hwang …”

Jingyi Bo had succeeded in convincing Seo In-Soo to hand over the role of library receptionist. Unfortunately, she hadn’t banked on the amount of work required, or the lack of perks. Despite having a key that would let her in, there were still sections she was forbidden from entering - nor was she allowed to take even a singular scrap of paper out of the place. There were cleaning and maintenance jobs galore - if Bo had been as friendless as when she arrived, hiding away in this library might have been an ideal scenario, but now she was going to be stuck working in here half the time. At least she could sneak a peek at the manuals and scrolls as she worked.

“C’mon, Soo-soo, this one knows what to do!” Pyeon grinned a wide, toothy grin and tugged at Seo - despite being the weaker of the two, Seo put up a good fight.

“I-I suppose you’re right, Sa-sa. Junior, I leave the library to you. Remember, the deans will have your head if you mess anything up, understood?” Bo nodded emphatically - she didn’t need reminding of any kind of existential threats. That nasty little voice in the back of her head reminded her of them daily.

With the pair of lovers gone, and the key to the library in hand, Bo was now the only student even allowed to set foot in the place. A prestigious prize, if it weren’t so chained up in the roles and responsibilities of a glorified cleaner. She had won, but at what cost?

6