Chapter 4 – Final Warning
156 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Heyo! Thanks for the read, any suggestions or comments will be looked at! I apologize for any grammar mistakes :)

He had fainted. Lukas was lying in a bed that could be considered comfortable, at least better than being slumped over the table he was at before.

His father must be worried now. First the fall and now completely passing out in the library. Unless his dad was completely neglectful, he probably wouldn’t be on the bed.

 There was a knock on the door, before it opened with a creak. 

“Oh, you’re awake.” Gareth walks over with a steaming bowl in one hand.

A notification blinking dimly.

[World Record has been updated.]

“Are you feeling better boy? I made you some stew to get your strength up. I found you on the floor sweating and quite pale.” Gareth said as he checked the temperature of Lukas with his hand. It was quite warm.

[Host experienced source overload. Due to overusing source energy that the body could not handle at its current stage. Please apply caution in the future!]

There was silence and he realized that his father was giving him a worried look.

“Ah, I’m feeling much better, father. Just felt lightheaded after I ate something yesterday.” He talks as he takes the bowl of stew from the man.

It smelt good and nothing at all like he would’ve assumed was made in such an era as this. The taste was even better. Creamy and warm, with various chunks of vegetable and meat that melted in the mouth. 

After a few minutes, slurping sounds gradually filled the quiet air. Gareth took the empty bowl out of his hands before Lukas could try to scrape the bowl clean.

“There’s more out on the table if you want more. I have to get to the library and open up.”

He starts walking to the door and pauses. “If you need to skip work today it’ll be fine. Just make sure the books get organized when you come in. We at least need to keep up our appearances.”

The door shuts gently.

“Remember to get the ladder before you come in!” A muffled yell is heard behind the closed door. As the footsteps get quieter, Lukas starts looking through the menus of his system. Starting with the World Record.

[New Source Era. Source erupts from the core of the world, filling the once stale air and earth with fresh energies. This has brought about a natural phenomena of evolution that can be perceived by more sensitive beings and existences.]

[Congratulations host! You’ve made your first mark on the World Record of this world. The more historical events you influence, witness, or participate in will increase the world’s Fate and be recorded here. This can mean extra rewards for you, so please work diligently!]

[Of course other relevant events unrelated to you will be recorded here if they make a significant change in the Fate of the world, but you will not be credited with the merit.]

“Hmmm. I see, so what are the rewards then?”

[Host, you received your rewards already.]

With wide eyes he opens his inventory and finds that indeed it was already there. It was a metal watering can with various runes engraved on its body. It seemed ancient just by dingy look. He was kind of unimpressed until he saw the description.

[Eternal Showers. A special watering can that can water plants and inspire their growth. It just needs to be filled with water once and can water till the end of eternity! Decreases growth time of plants significantly.]

It was a glorified watering can.

“System, what is this reward? Do you expect me to be a gardener? First a seed, now a watering can? Are you broken??!”

[Will gladly dispose of items that the host deems useless. Are you sure?]

“NO! No, no, no. The rewards are great.” He mutters and moves out of his bed to get ready for the day. Exploring.

------

The air was fresh, unlike the pollution filled air in his past life. It was cool too. People are busy with their lives like nothing happened or changed at all with the world.

Lukas was examining the surroundings trying to figure out how the magic he introduced into the world would change this scene. Would it be more prosperous than it is now? Or would the changes just emphasize the issues that are silently plaguing this kind of livelihood in the background? He hopes otherwise.

He walks towards the direction of the library, taking in more of the sights and silently trying to find out how to harness the new energies he can clearly feel around him. It was untamed and wild, Source.

He could feel Source surging in an invisible whirlpool around him, but refusing to be a part of him. It seemed like a joke really, since he created it. 

Before Lukas could try anything else he found that he was in the vicinity of the library, however there was a commotion afront its doorways.

“Listen Gareth. We’ve given you a season’s time to get the coin ready to keep the ole library running and you’re still overdue!” A slightly strident voiced man says. The clothes they wear seem to point out that they weren’t people of importance but as thugs.

He assumes this had to do with the Filial Piety quest from before and maybe Eliott’s poisoning too. The boy’s death allowed him to live this new life after all, he owed it to the dead guy to avenge him in this way.

“Give me a few more days, Logan. You already know that in a town like ours here in the mountains, libraries don’t necessarily get that much-” SMACK!

Before his eyes, Gareth was thrown to the floor, groaning.

“All these excuses man, you got till this evening before nightfall! Give me the money at the Grizzly Birch tavern, ya know at my usual table. If not, expect the consequences affecting you AND your kid.” 

Logan spits on Gareth, as does his lackeys before turning around. He sees Lukas and flashes him a crooked smile.

“Mornin’ kiddo. Maybe ya should convince your pops to give up that old shed of a library. Heheh. It’ll be good for the both of ya!” Logan says, giving him a rough pat on the shoulder before leaving, his lackeys laughing as they follow.

Lukas brushes off his shoulder and rushes to Gareth and helps him up from the ground.

“Are you okay dad? What are they talking about?” Lukas asks worriedly. He knows what it’s like owing money to sleazy guys like Logan and his gang. Just, he couldn't understand why a library needed to pay anything to them. The town seemed to be without much danger based on his earlier observations.

“I’m fine son, just a bunch of good-for-nothings trying to extort us. Sorry you had to see that.” Gareth says as he cleans himself off.

“We better get started opening the library, maybe we’ll get some interesting guests today.” Lukas nods albeit wondering how libraries earn money in this era. Gareth opens the doors to the library, showing off the quiet and gentle atmosphere within. 

Books line the shelves they have from top to bottom. Sunlight shines through the windows, highlighting most of the things within the building.

“Alright Eliott, I’ll head out to get a new ladder. You can stay and watch for any visitors.” Gareth smiles and offers the keys to him. Lukas takes them promptly, noticing that there was a strangely shaped one with the bunch. The bow has the shape of an open book.

He nods to Gareth, promising him to keep an eye out for visitors as he leaves towards the woodworkers’ area of the town.

------

[Filial Piety: Your family is on the verge of complete ruination due to some unforeseen circumstances. Help your father tide through the troubles and save the business.

Reward: Runes and Variations by Faust XX, 1x Essence Orb (Small).]

Lukas was studying this task trying to infer what the unforeseen circumstances could mean. He gave up after a few minutes, it should sort itself out since he’s been chosen by a system after all.

There were no visitors still. Not even a shadow of a person crossed the threshold of the doorway, So he had decided to focus on trying to get started with his magical cultivation, maybe it’ll help solving this issue with Logan.

------

Source swirled around Lukas, slowly converging like a skintight cocoon before it forcefully entered his body through the pores. CRACK!

Then the untamed energies rushed into his body forming a shallow pool, before it slowly turned deeper. Lukas felt alive as the energy coursed through his body. He could feel it pool into his chest, like the most refreshing breath of air in his lungs.

[Congratulations host! You’ve become the first existence in this world to be able to harness Source.]

[Main task established: Chosen Few. Use the [Champions] feature to choose a few gifted individuals to help incorporate Source into the world’s Fate. Expect great rewards based on the quality of the chosen champions.

Suggest the host to do this task as soon as possible.]

Lukas lifts up his hands and summons the energy. A blue wave of energy dances around his fingers, almost alive.

Maybe it was time to deliver what was owed to Logan tonight and test out the magic he could only wish for in the past. A devilish grin made its way onto Lukas' face.

6