Chapter 1
73 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Haaaa"

I put down the book and lean on my chair. Business is slow for a little bookstore owner like me. Oh? Who am I? Well, I'm the owner of a little bookstore on the edge of the city. The name is Gabriel Faldin, a man born in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Sounds ordinary, right? Well, how about I tell you that this is my second life? Yup and this is my second chance in life. Sadly, this reincarnation process is not as exciting as many novels and fanfic shows it be.

I did not meet a beautiful goddess or a wise old man. No. There is nothing. There is darkness, and suddenly I'm in my mother's hand being breastfed. Yeah. After dying in my sleep (I don't know how I died), I wake up as a baby.

No meeting with God/Goddess means that I did not receive any cheat item. I guess I'm okay with it if I'm reincarnated into an ordinary, magicless world. Unfortunately for me, I get reincarnated into an Urban-Fantasy world.

This world is the same as Earth. The exact amount of continent, island, and language. The only difference is that this world has a few artificial islands created by the government worldwide. The other difference between this world and my previous world is that there is a giant fuck-off tower around the world.

Those towers are called the Tower of Heaven. If you play a tabletop fantasy role-play game, this tower is a dungeon that many adventurers search for treasure and riches.

The Tower of Heaven is like another world. Each tower has a different amount of floor inside it. The highest number of floor towers is in Philadelphia, USA, and in Beijing, China. Those two towers have at least one hundred floors. People did not know the exact number, however. No one can clear the twentieth floor or above.

Most of the floors have different kinds of themes. Let's take the dungeon in the middle of Jakarta, for example. That tower has fifteen floors. The first, second, and third floors of the tower have a grassland theme.

What I mean by grassland is a land filled with grass. The land is around the size of Sumatra Island, and it is filled with tall grass. The shortest grass is at least two meters tall, and the tallest one is seven tall long. There is an invisible barrier that blocks anyone that reaches the edge of the tower.

Each floor of a safe zone is placed in a random area. Floor one of the Jakarta Tower has a safe zone at the starting point of the tower. The safe zone size is four hundred meters around the spawn.

The Tower of Heaven also has a boss room. The boss room is usually located at the end of each theme on the floor. Jakarta Tower has five boss rooms. Third, Sixth, Ninth, Twelfth, and Fifteenth floor. Each boss will give the one who defeats it an enormous reward.

Speaking of clearing the Tower of Heaven, the people that try their hardest to clear the tower are called Hunter. Hunter is a person that has an innate ability. Hunter is divided into classes. From F-class to S-class.

While an individual with a powerful innate ability can jump ahead in their hunter class, they cannot jump above the D-class. A hunter is not about powerful innate ability. A hunter also needs to have experience and leadership to attain a higher level of class.

The reason? C-class hunters will be given a couple of F-class and E-class hunters to be trained in the tower. Because of that, a C-class hunter needs leadership and experience in dealing with a monster to protect his/her party group.

A group of hunters can make a guild. Guild is like in the online RPG game. A group of people that help each other to make the guild successful.

Anyway, my parents are a hunting couple. They are a high B-class hunter at that. B-class hunters are people that have been in the hunting business for a long time. They also need to show excellent and steady performance.

My parents are a B-class hunter that goes around the tower protecting the miner harvesting the Energy Crystal. What is Energy Crystal you ask? Well, Energy Crystal is a crystal being born from the energy the tower released. They are a crystal that stores clean energy that can be used as everyday fuel.

From your everyday tools to a weapon. Yeah, this world has already abandoned other sources of energy. Fossil fuel has never been used in this world. Electricity is still used, though.

Anyway, this crystal is mined inside the Tower of Heaven, especially in the place where many monsters spawn. Because of this reason why many hunters get hired to protect the miner from the monster that just spawn.

The crystal will respawn every year, starting when the tower appears.

Anyway, while my parents are blessed with a rather powerful innate ability, I did not have it. Because of this, they don't really care about it. They still sent me money every month, but they never did tell me that they loved me.

My sister is the only person close to me who owns a powerful innate ability called Greater Pyrokinesis. This ability lets her create and manipulate fire as much as she wants. A regular Pyrokinesis can only produce fire from their hand, while Greater Pyrokinesis enables the user to produce and control other fires as well.

This ability let her become a strong backline damage dealer.

Her name is Adriana, and she is the only one that really cares for me. My parents have four children. Two boys and two girls. I'm the third child. My big sister and brother did not really care for me and were even disgusted at my talentless self.

At least my parents only ignored me and did not actively ostracize me.

Anyway, what happens to me is what people call talentless. A Talentless can only occur at a rare chance. There are only 10% talentless people in the world, and I'm one of them. It is like racism in my previous world, but instead of skin color, it is the ability to do an extraordinary thing.

"Haaa… I guess it is a good thing that my parents are willing to give me some funds to make my own bookstore."

Why a bookstore, you ask? I like to read, and the bookstore owner is not a demanding job as far as I can see. I guess this is because of where my bookstore is located. Jakarta is a dungeon city and filled with people, but it was only true in the center of the city, where many people walked in and out of the dungeon.

The outskirts of Jakarta are not as many people, and because of this, my business is relatively slow. However, I did not mind it very much. Because of the Tower of Heaven, the food price is low as the land in the Tower of Heaven is very fertile and grows a normal plant very fast. Because the cost of living is cheap if you are far away from the dungeon, I did not have any money problems.

"However, it is good to have a customer from now and then."

As if hearing my complaint, the door of my store opens up, and I see a young woman walk inside.

"Welcome to the Wonderland bookstore. What can I do for you?"

2