The Abyss
66 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Next to a giant cliff seemingly leading into the abyss stood a little house, in this little house lived a very special person: the Gatekeeper to the abyss that is located next to the house. When someone wanted to go into the abyss to face the terror or go on a vacation with a very unique setting they all had to pass it.

But the gatekeeper didn't just let everyone through, only the bravest of the brave or those that gave it a bit of money were allowed passage and could attempt to enter the abyss. 

There were two main ways to enter the abyss: climbing downwards; usually regarded as the safe way and hated by the Gatekeeper, it perceived those picking this path as weak and boring, and jumping. Jumping was definitely the simpler way to get down, it required no thinking, no ideas and no money. It was cheap, efficient, fast and heavily supported by the Gatekeeper. The only problem with jumping was the fact that you were jumping down a cliff into the abyss.

Any attempts to slow the fall with something fancy like a parachute or magic was strongly forbidden and the Gatekeeper stopped entry for everyone trying to attempt it, but that didn't mean jumping was impossible or a fool-only method. It was mainly used by highly sophisticated Idiots and geniuses alike. 

The Gatekeeper could not differentiate between these and it didn't really have to either, they would notice themselves depending on life or death. In fact it was very possible to survive a fall since the portal to the abyss not only had a 1/128 chance to completely negate all momentum it also transferred all vertical momentum into horizontal momentum. As long as you are thrown out at the right place and know where to fly towards you could fly through the door of the temple the portal is in and stop yourself with many consecutive rolls.

Doing this not only gains you the respect and admiration of many onlookers, you also don't have to pay a fee to enter the abyss because you are one of the bravest of the brave. The only problem is upon attempting to go into the abyss after one such successful attempt the Gatekeeper will not let you go any other way, it's jumping or nothing from there on.

All successful jumpers are written into the Table of Glory the Gatekeeper keeps up, though only a selective few know where it is placed, and are called "Fallen Angels" by many for years to come. 

Since the Gatekeeper is the only thing stopping people from easy, free, reliable access to the Abyss many have attempted to defeat it, but none have survived these attempts. Some say for every attempt at killing the Gatekeeper the cliff rises slightly and becoming a Fallen Angel becomes harder, but this is not proven and nobody is sure where this myth originated from. 

Weirdly enough entries into the world from the Abyss aren't a problem at all, the Gatekeeper sells "Entry Stones" to Fallen Angels for a low price of 33 Souls. Getting souls is in no way difficult either since you can use any animals and even plants soul for this. It is said that some have effectively created a Soul Factory with some special type of bacteria, thus souls will probably never run out. When this method of buying Entry Stones was found many questioned for what else Souls may have a use but except giving it to the Gatekeeper to buy more Entry Stones no other applications have been found.

These so called Entry Stones provide a possibility to create a portal that let's you exit the abyss, or enter the normal world depending on how you want to see it. You place one stone in the abyss, go through a different exit and place the other in the real world. To enable them simple hit it a few times, it might take a bit but it usually starts working pretty reliably afterwards. After activating the Entry Stones they cannot be moved anymore, this turned out to be an incredible useful concept and is how all our flying islands are flying; They are literally build upon the exit of the abyss, that seem to somehow be able to stay in a perfect orbit around the center of the world; This center of the world is static in the stones mind and cannot change after activation. Which means you can even do some tricky manipulation of meteorites to have a island in space that cannot possibly fly away or move in general.

Some wonder how the first exit points were made if it requires a different exit to create a new exit, but the Gatekeeper ensured us that in reality the entry to the Abyss can also be used as an exit under certain circumstances. This was a really anti climatic revelation to a tricky question people wondered about for quite some time and gave rise to many people asking tricky questions to the Gatekeeper to hope for new unknown information. The Gatekeeper stopped talking to us afterwards.

Sometimes people also wonder why it is not possible to just go around the cliff and enter the abyss from the other side, ignoring the Gatekeeper and possibly entering more hassle-free. This quite obvious idea was attempted by many but "behind the cliff" seems to not exist in the first place. It appears that the abyss only exists if you come from one specific, and usually instinctively taken, path. If you come to the cliff from any other side you won't even see a cliff at all, it appears more like a normal grass field. This grass field is not only indestructible it also is more illusion than reality, you cannot take anything from it and everything you attempt to leave there will suddenly appear back where you had it before you tried to leave it there. Leaving this field in any direction will make you appear in an all year round foggy grass field not far from the actual cliff, and if you do not pay close attention you will once again instinctively walk to the entry to the abyss where the Gatekeeper is waiting for you.

All in all the abyss is a very popular travel point and a lot of vacations are made in the now quite harmless area. Because of the unexplainable being called Gatekeeper the entry is usually quite tedious and has a cost associated with it, which makes this travel point more often visited by middle to high class people. The special scenes and eternal night in the abyss make for a wonderful setting and the unimaginable usefulness of the unmovable Entry Stones bring a lot of new possibilities we now heavily use in flying islands, quick transportation from near the entry of the abyss to a faraway exit is also sometimes preferred to the usual method of using the Angels Realm for transportation since it can bring more privacy and is in some cases quicker.

A few are still skeptical and believe that adding Entry Stones as foundation to many of our structures is a problematic choice, giving the possibility of a sudden attack from creatures of the abyss but it is still widely recognized as one of the fundamentals of modern society as it currently exists.

5