Part 6 ~ My House, My Rules
89 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elsprinc 13th, 799 – Evening


You understand the concern of the big knight before you and take his advice.

"I'm going home, Sir Barton, but I want to know what happened. Can you report to me tomorrow? I'm at the castle's training grounds.”

“Of course, Young Master. I will come."

"And whatever you might find tonight, if you do find the culprit, I ask that you keep it a secret from everyone else. My father’s not here, and Sir Ezron is sick, so only to me can you show it. Do you understand?"

This time Sir Barton hesitates for a moment, before nodding. "I understand."

“Thank you, Sir.”

After that, he leaves, running again following his men.

You turn around, and immediately say to Hanna who is waiting anxiously at the door of the restaurant, "We're going home now."

Once the two of you have boarded the carriage, you say to your friends who are standing on the side of the road, “All of you, you better go home too. I don't want anything to happen. We'll meet again tomorrow."

Your gaze meets Reyna, who looks at you sharply. Looks like she no longer believes that you're just an ordinary young man named Louis. You don't care. There are many things occupying your mind right now.

In the carriage, just like when you left earlier, you and Hanna are mostly silent. This time you are not only thinking about Sir Ezron's condition, but also the riot that has occurred in the city. This must not be an ordinary occurrence, because of the sound of the gunshot that could be heard. There's something going on here that you find unsettling, but also interesting. Jenn will definitely be interested too, and will probably come back to Ellandhar again.

But when you arrive at the castle you both forget about the incident. You and Hanna hurry to the room where Sir Ezron is being treated. The man was still sleeping, while his wife who continues to sit beside him looks tired.

"Lady Winda," you say to her. "I have prepared a room for you. For Hanna and Eamon too. Please get rest, you all need it. Let Arini take care of Sir Ezron," you say, glancing at the quiet girl sitting in the corner of the room. "When Sir Ezron wakes up, Arini will wake us up."

"I want to wait here a little longer," says Lady Winda. The woman is almost as beautiful and stunning as Hanna. She married Sir Ezron at a fairly young age, so she’s probably only about 35 now—fifteen years younger than her husband— but the weariness on her face makes her looks older.

"No." You smile at her. “If you fall asleep here, when you wake up you will feel tired and sore in your waist and neck. Eamon, take your mother to her room. Now, Eamon, if you don't mind. You too, Hanna, rest.”

Hanna shakes her head. "I told you. Tonight I will take care of my father.”

“Yes, I heard what you said earlier and I had no problem with it, but that was before I found out that you were playing at the beach this morning. Sorry, Hanna, but you look tired and should rest too.”

"But-"

"No need to argue, Hanna. My house, my rules. Okay?"

Hanna stares at you stunned, then nods. "Okay."

You look at all your guests. “You all can go to the rooms. Master Harlin will show you your rooms. Please don't worry, let's just pray for Sir Ezron's speedy recovery and tomorrow hopefully he can laugh again with us."

Everyone finally left the room, leaving you and Arini Raidan, who is still sitting in the corner of the room. As you walk up to her, Master Harazi's assistant stands up and bows respectfully to you.

"Are you all right, Arini?" you ask. "You must be tired too after working all day. Sorry, I asked you to stay here tonight."

The 20-year-old girl with short black hair lifts her face, smiling. "It's all right, Young Master. I'm used to doing this."

"Don’t worry. Tomorrow you will have a full rest, I promise."

"Thank you, Young Master."

“Is there anything you need? I've brought you a roll-up mat, that one, in case you're tired and need to lay down. Is there anything else?”

Arini came from a foreign country. She's the daughter of a merchant who's only lived in Ellanor for a year, so sometimes you have to explain what you're saying in detail so she could understand what you mean.

“Everything I need is here. Thank you, Young Master."

"Don't be so stiff, Arini. We've known each other for a long time now."

"Sorry, I'm still not used to it."

"Take care of yourself. You already know my new room, right? On the second floor, at the end of the corridor. Just knock on the door, if you need anything."

“Mmm… what do you mean, Young Master?”

“If Sir Ezron is awake, or if you need something, you can wake me. You can convey it through the guard who is in the second-floor corridor, or you can go straight to my room as you used to when you came to treat me in my old room if you like. Either way, I don't mind. The important thing is that it can be fast, and convenient for you. Do you understand?"

"Yes, I understand."

"Good. Good night, then."

You close the guest room door, then walk into the castle's central hall. You see an old man standing waiting for you. His hair and beard are gray and he wears a long, sand-brown robe. He is Master Harlin, the head of the stewards at Valerin Castle, who has worked here even before your father became a count.

“Are all the guests in their rooms?” you ask.

“Yes, Young Master. The maids have also provided clothes and food in case they need it.” The man looks at you. "You should rest too."

"I will. Oh, tomorrow after breakfast I will train until noon. Ruy and Issa will come to see Sir Ezron. If they look for me, say I'm at the training ground. After that … is tomorrow my schedule for studying at the library?”

"Yes, in the afternoon you have a schedule with Master Rashir."

"Okay. Anything else I need to know?"

"Starting tomorrow there will be a new maid for you, replacing Matilda who retired yesterday, and… actually, Miss Amelia wants to see you right now.”

"She's here?" You look around. "Where?"

“I asked her to wait on the side porch,” Master Harlin says. "I told her to talk to you tomorrow at the library, not now, because it's getting late."

"That’s alright. Perhaps she has important news from Master Rashir. I'll see her."

You walk out of the room onto the side porch. An 18 years old girl with shoulder-length brown hair was standing there, looking at the garden lit by lanterns. A cute girl in a beautiful place, always a great combination. As soon as you see the scene, you immediately think of it.

“Amelia,” you call as you approach her.

The girl turns her head, then quickly bows.

“Young Master, I… sorry I have to bother you at this time of night.”

"That’s okay. What is it? Master Rashir sent you here? He shouldn't have done that."

"Oh no. He didn't. I... I just came to give you something.” With both hands, she holds out a thick book with a dark brown leather cover.

You take the book, then open the leather cover and read the writing on the first page of the book. 'The Passionate Adventures in Salanir by Gerold Insina de Qoure – Part Two'. You laugh right away.

“You're really looking for it! Where did you get this book?”

Amelia grins in amusement. Her face is red, between joy and embarrassment. “I looked for it on the old bookshelf. That place is really dusty. Maybe no one cared about those books in decades. Some of them have been damaged. But fortunately, this book is in good condition, because it is stored in a small leather bag. So I took it, and… hopefully, Master Rashir doesn't know.”

You grin. "I don't think he should be upset if someone borrows those books."

"He always gets angry when someone takes them out without his permission, and I couldn't possibly show him this book and then try to ask his permission."

"Why?"

“Because… that book…”

"Dangerous?"

“Mmm… yes. You know why." Amelia's lips look slightly pouted.

You laugh. "So you've read it?"

“Of course not!" Amelia shakes her head. “I just… read the first few pages.”

"There's nothing wrong with reading to the end."

"I can’t ..."

You laugh again, then smile. “Thanks, Amelia, for taking the trouble to find this book and give it to me. When I've finished reading it I'll return it to you, and you can put it back on that old bookshelf so that it won't be touched again for decades. Or, I suggest, you might as well read it too.”

Amelia shakes her head again, but now with a sweet smile.

"Are you going home now? What do you use to get back to town?"

"I'm going in my friend's carriage. She is a servant here."

“There seemed to be a riot in the city earlier, so you have to be careful. I don't want anything to happen to you. So I'll have the cavalry escort you, and he'll escort you all the way home."

“Thank you, Young Master.”

You summon a guard near you and give him orders. Amelia and the guard then walk away leaving you.

You go back into the castle. You wave at Master Harlin who is standing not far from you, then take the stairs.

The second floor is a much quieter place. There is only one guard near the stairs, and another at the front of the corridor leading to the east wing of the castle. Your room is in that wing. It is located at the very end and the largest in size. To get there you walk down a long corridor and past several smaller rooms. Lady Winda, Eamon, and Hanna each got a room there.

You have also prepared a room for Arini. That girl needs a full rest tomorrow. Arini might choose to return to her small room in Ellanor, but you still prepare a room for her here. There is also a room for your maid, the one who will clean your room, prepare clothes and food, and provide whatever you need. It's right next to your room. Master Harlin said there will be a new maid tomorrow. You really hope she is as nice and diligent as the old Matilda.

You enter your room, which is about a hundred square meters in size. You are very tired and sleepy now, so as soon as you enter, it feels like you want to jump straight into your king-sized bed on the left of the room and go to sleep. But with all the things you've been through today, perhaps it would be better if you take a bath first, so you could sleep more comfortably.

What would you do?
  • Go to sleep Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take a bath Votes: 3 100.0%
Total voters: 3 · This poll was closed on Oct 25, 2021 03:46 PM.
3