Chapter 9: Blackout
1.6k 7 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"U-umm…… Thank you all for attending my birthday celebration!! and, o- ooh... Ahh… H-hope you all enjoy your day!!"

Ignoring the fact that she stammered during her speech, the king held his head high and smiled.

As soon as she concluded her speech, the king whispered to her, "Didn't we do this before, sweetie? Don't be afraid to say whatever you want. You are the shining light of our kingdom."

"B- but, Father, that's a ridiculous thing to expect of me... After all, so many people have gathered solely to celebrate my birthday with us..."

"Don't worry about them; just have fun and don't be bashful, dear."

"Uuu.."

Kendrick winced as he saw the father and daughter whispering to one another.

He hoped he could return home right now. He didn't come to see a father and daughter having fun together.

And to sync with his complaints, a woman's voice chimed in with her own.

Kendrick shifted his attention to the source of the voice, and there he discovered someone he'd never want to meet. Silvia Frost, like her name, had silver hair like snow. She was the second daughter of Duke Ariya Frost. She was one of the people involved in the poisoning, as well as the most aggravating villainess in the game.

Silvia Frost had a frown in her eyes as she glared towards the current king and his daughter, Ruri Dhair.

Silvia Frost soon shifted her sight to him, and their gazes connected. Silvia shrieked her displeasure without a care in the world. Kendrick's eyes were likewise penetrated by her look, revealing her disrespectful demeanor.

"What are you looking at?!"

"N-nothing…"

Kendrick lowered his head and shifted his gaze elsewhere. As he had suspected, there were no sane people in the otome world where he had been reborn.

They ignored one another, and as soon as Ruri Dhair's speech concluded, she descended downstairs like a fairy and sat next to Kendrick.

The nobility went about their business, but some couldn't help but be drawn to the beauty of the king's daughter.

Even the nobility of other nations was taken aback.

Kendrick had a strange feeling as he noticed the aristocrats' disgusted stares at him. They're upset because he comes from a viscount family, yet he can sit next to the princess when she's meant to be with higher-status families like theirs.

Kendrick chose to chat with Ruri Dhair in order to relieve the strain in his heart.

"....Princess Ruri, How've you been..?"

Ruri Dhair slowly turned her head to him and smiled.

"Dan, there's no need to be formal with me... I wanted to strike up a conversation with you, but I was too embarrassed..."

"....How could I possibly do such a thing, Princess Ruri? You have the potential to one day be queen. I fear I will disgrace and blacken your name."

The aristocrats who were happily eating their dinner stared at Kendrick with irritation when he stated that. Even others who weren't paying attention to him began to glare in his direction. Kendrick seemed to have dug his own grave.

Some nobles laughed in ridicule at his comments, while others, thirsty for a loftier status, began to ogle Princess Ruri, as if she were a valuable, fragile jewel.

"E-hehe, don't joke around, Dan! My other siblings are far superior to me in every aspect."

'I'm not kidding, but....'

The diary of the king stated that if she hadn't died of food sickness, she may have been crowned queen.

Kendrick locked his gaze on Ruri, scanning her entire body from head to toe.

"Princess Ruri, you've matured into a lovely lady, just as I imagined."

"...D- don't tease me like you always do, Dan! Can't you at least save it for later… Even though it's my birthday today! Look at the crowds, aren't their eyes all on us?! What if they think we're a couple…?"

"It's fine that way, Princess Ruri! Being misunderstood as your fiance is like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for us men. I mean, who wouldn't wish for a beautiful lady as a fiance like yourself~"

"Y- you?!.... Gosh, didn't you know when to choose the proper time to say such an embarrassing thing….?"

Kendrick was going to taunt her further when Viscount Anwir interrupted his meal and called out to him.

"Dan! Don't forget to be polite in front of the princess, would you?"

Viscount Anwir had a big smile on his face, but Kendrick could see...

For a brief moment, everyone in the castle heard footsteps upstairs. The audience put down their forks and knives and turned to look upstairs. Soon after, the king emerged, accompanied by his other two daughters and two sons. 

Prince Ian was the king's eldest son and firstborn. Prince Ryan was the youngest son and fourth in line for the throne. Princess Vanessa was the eldest daughter of the king after Ruri. Finally, Princess Peach was the youngest of all the siblings.

Those of the royal family had gathered upstairs and were all looking down at the crowd. 

The siblings, except Ian, were looking coldly at Princess Ruri in secret.

Soon after, the ginormous cake arrived at the castle, along with Princess Ruri's awaited drink, dubbed "Lilac." The drink was brought from a foreign kingdom originating from another continent; its main ingredient required four years of patience to be harvested in an ancient forest on the continent of Sunsharr. 

"Lilac" is claimed to make whoever consumes it twice as powerful as they are, with some health benefits. 

And before the last performance, the drink was supposed to be delivered to where Princess Ruri was sitting.

Without warning, everything turned pitch black. Panic swept across the palace. Some of the nobles screamed at the top of their lungs. The palace was soon abuzz with nervous chatter, so some candles were lit to help ease the situation.

 

 

 

54