Chapter V: The Life of the Forest
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The forest was quiet in the deep of night, and there was a small home carved out of a great stump of a deku tree. While it wasn’t large enough for an adult to fit into comfortably, it was quite convenient for the accommodations of someone the size of a child.

Indeed the home did house a child, or so the Hylians and Men of the world would call her. But of truth she wasn’t exactly a child as she was indeed old. She was in fact the oldest of her standing kind alive today, for she was a Kokiri. Of the Kokiri the outside world had very little understanding. Only the Hylians knew of them, and even then they were few to have heard of them whereas what brief knowledge was recorded was kept in store of the Hyrule Castle’s library. But even then their knowledge of Kokiri nature was quite limited and they simply understood them to be but mere children of eternal youth whereby the records take to call them ‘eternal children’ While it is true that they maintain a child’s spirit in nature, there are a few who have been known to grow in great maturity to exceed the very wise and be more adult in heart than the noblest Hylian. But no matter how mature one could be, a Kokiri would ever have the merry cheerfulness to frolick in its child like nature. Yet this girl was one of such as she was living at five hundred years.

Deeply asleep the girl was in her small cozy bed as her hair splayed out in emerald green, and a green orbed fairy slept nestled amidst her locks thereof. But then to her irritation many lights of divers colors illumined her home, and she woke to find many fairies carrying a great bundle.

“What?” She started in marvel, but she was interupted.

“Hold it gently!” They commanded in small and quiet voices. Then the fairies laid the bundle upon her lap when then her hands took to hold of it as it had been carefully wrapped.

 As most of the orbs had then departed, one remained. “I am Navi, the Fairy of the Deku Tree’s highest bough. Open the bundle easily, Saria.”

As Saria opened it, she gazed with befuddled awe and her emerald eyes dazzled as not knowing whether to be cheerful or to be overwhelmed. For the bundle wrapped a baby with slender blond hair and a small cute smile, and she reflected his smile with her own. But she was quickly confused as her consciousness stirred with questions and she looked up to Navi when her own fairy stirred to fly and hover by her side.

But the fairy of blue answered Saria’s questioned face. “It is not a Kokiri babe as he is Hylian. … The Great Deku Tree desires that you take care of him as he grows until the child can handle himself to live among the other Kokiri.” Navi paused before she approached Saria with a final question. “This is quite a responsibility that the Deku Tree entrusts with you Saria, but he does not require it of you as the choice is yours…” Saria looked solemnly then upon the fairy as she continued, “Will you care for the child?”

Then Saria took a deep breath as she thought for a moment, and when the babe grasped her finger she knew the resolution of her heart. “I will, gladly.”

“Then your guardian fairy, Falith, will guide you in your care for him, and if there be any issue that she cannot answer, then do not hesitate to seek counsel from the Great Deku Tree.”

“I will guide her.” Falith acknowledged soberly.

And Saria nodded, “Alright.” But then she asked with a cocked head, “What is his name?”

 “Link.” Navi replied before leaving.

At this Saria looked upon the child in her arms as her smile deepened with joyful eyes. “Link” she whispered to herself.

Upon the following days, Saria tended to Link as she prepared a temporary small bed in her little home, feeding him milk from the local foothill goats. She was amazed at how fast he grew over the days and years, and he was known by all in the village to be the youngest Kokiri; whereas, none save herself knew that the woman who was buried was his mother.

'His mother...' Saria thought on it, for after all she now was filling the role of his mother to care for him. But she never felt like a mother as rather to her it was clear that she was a sister to a beloved brother who increasingly would grow to be her friend just as the other Kokiri. And she was content.

Link eventually grew to handle his own amongst the others, and he took the initiative to select his house to be carved for him. And as close as he was to Saria, he chose the tall trunk that stood down hill next to hers. There he prepared his home high as he prepared a balcony with a ladder for his porch. Saria called this a courageous act of Link as he was unique of all of the others. For no Kokiri was brave enough to stand the heights of it to visit him for many months; whereas, he had built and carved out his house himself. It was a humble abode made simple as he had set his bed and pantry shelves with a table set in center for himself and any guest who might attend to visit him, for he loved company as long as company did not include some unexpected trouble. And of course there was a fireplace made at a knot hole where the hole traveled upward in shaft to serve as a chimney.

Like his Kokiri “kin”, Link wore a green forest tunic which Saria had sewn for him along with a short pants, and as she taught him to sew for himself in the event he should need it, he made himself something that the other Kokiri did not have, a hat. For while there were few Kokiri who climbed trees, there were none who climbed as high as him to be willing to reach the sun in its full blast of light. Thus, he learned the need for a hat; whereby, he made one. Unusual though for a hat, it was tall and long as it extruded upward and flowed behind him in a great green point as though it were a single lock of hair. He wasn’t sure what inspired him to make it in such shape, for it seemed as though his heart had crafted it from some different memory of its own.

Yes, the lad was set to live as a Kokiri except for one matter: a fairy. For all of the Kokiri had guardian fairies to aid them in wisdom in their walks of life. For as the Great Deku Tree was their father, the fairies were there to aid them in place of a mother, and of course later on they grew long in age as their dearest friend. A Kokiri was one in the bond with his or her fairy, so they were one with the Forest. And this was a defining aspect of being a Kokiri. But Link was different, for no fairy ever came to him. And for that, to Link’s distress, the Kokiri shunned him. But that is not to say that they had intended to be mean to him. For they surely would talk with him and give him due attention, yet there was always a lack of respect and not all cared for him.

But Link still had friends. There were the Know-it-all brothers, Forest Spirits who the Great Deku Tree had brought to form from the same spirit. For while they would be quick to point out every discrepancy of Link’s actions, they would do so for anyone, all for the sake of learning. They would take notes, and always declare the odd matter of facts to all in their presence whether anyone wished to hear their input or not. Link was of the few who gave them respect and listened to them more attentively, though they were to be heard with a grain of salt. A good friend of Link’s was Fado, but which Fado? For Fado had a sister named Fado, and she regarded Link to be a person of indifference in her opinion altogether. But while the brother didn’t spend a whole lot of time with Link, he was soft spoken with fewer words than his fellow Kokiri, and he treated Link with kindness.

The worst of all though was Mido, the Kokiri Boss, or so he proclaimed himself to be. A bully would be the name that the outside world would have given him. He was outspoken for his own name, and with his brute strength he found advantage over others to carry out his will through intimidation if not manipulation. Mido was fond of Saria, and as Link was honored by the Great Deku Tree and well favored by the attention of the green haired girl, Mido’s heart grew hard in envy. He hated Link, calling on Link’s differences and named him “Fairy-less” Moreover, he encouraged the shunning of the lad.

Yet, Saria always stood for him and all listened to her with most reverence. For of truth, she was the true leader of the Kokiri under the Great Deku Tree. She had a heart of kindness with a smile of sun’s light in spring that no one could match. And thought she was knowledgeable, she was humble and respected everyone for their beliefs. Even so, she was very wise so that her countenance bespoke of a maturity unparalleled by any other Kokiri. Wherefore, she was often seen as the village mother. She could be lighthearted at times with her cheerful smiles and bad jokes, and only she with her merry heart and mature kindness could make Link truly smile. Her irises were emerald green as so was her hair that reached down to her shoulders to rise with a curl. Her tunic shirt with short pants matched her eyes and hair as the color of the forest always served signature to her personality.

In time, Saria and Link were scarcely seen in absence of each other’s presence. And they became the closest of friends with their hearts inseparable. They would travel about the forest, play games, and have adventures. They were always together even in the Lost Woods where few of the other Kokiri would go. And there the spirits of the forest would come to sing before them, the dark shade of the trees would dance, and the Skull Children would come out to play in mischief. Moreover, Saria would take Link to their usual place where she would play her wooden fairy ocarina where the forest spirits would illuminate the forest with their lights and those spirits would dance in obeisance to her will. Link never understood this, but it never mattered for him. He was there having a great time with his dear friend who had always cared for him.

There was a time as Link was six years of age that the Kokiri were at play. All of the girls would stand upon the hill crests and the boys with sticks and bark shields would fight in game to be victorious for the honor of the “fair maiden” Many girls would cheer frantically with excitement, and they made their gifts ready to be given to their noble heroes. Some girls were not as entertained by the heroic games so that they battled for their own honor, taking sling shots and shooting at the battling heroes in disregard as to who should be the victor.

As Saria stood on her hill, there were none to fight for her as none dared to challenge Mido. But then there was Link and he and Mido had at it in such epic suit that it never mattered how often Link was pinned or beaten down, he would only rise again. Link was persistent and endurable as Mido was tiring, and Saria knew that Link would be victor. For she believed in Link as her heart chose him. So, she looked abroad with such excitement and found a flower on the hill to give to her winner. But then the fuss of the boys came to the hill top as the two cast themselves on the ground. Saria seeing it, rose in evasion just in time to not be overwhelmed in the impact. Yet the flower was ruined being utterly smashed, and her emerald irises wept bitterly so in such sadness that the boys saw it and misunderstood the context of it.

Their faces were red and so pitiful that Mido tossed Link aside with disdain, and brushed aside his orange hair, “Fairy-less, now you’ve done it! You’ve hurt her!!” And the orange head ran off as though to shed blame upon Link. Saria was speechless from the shock of losing the gift that she had set her heart upon to give Link, and now Link pouted as though his day had ruined. For he and Mido were both equally guilty.

But then unlike Mido, Link stood up to Saria with head bowed, taking her hand in his. “I am sorry Saria. I shouldn’t have hurt you and we should had known to be more safe.” Saria was about to smile and embrace him, but he had left as he went in shame. Yet her heart ever smiled upon him, for he was different than the others. Link had a nobility about him that the others did not have, courage. As they were best friends, she grew very fond of him.

Link, lacking a fairy and not relishing the differences he had with the others, was very solemn and smiled seldom. Only with Saria did he truly smile. And their days of frolicking and fun were many for years.

But then came a night as all the Kokiri Forest was asleep and the Great Deku Tree’s meadow still that there loomed a shadow in the great tree’s presence.

“What business dost thou have with the Father of the Forest, oh King of Thieves?” The breath of the great deku uttered.

The man stood in armor that absorbed the darkness of night as no starlight might reflect upon it, and he removed his helm as his crimson hair illumined the meadow as a fire gives light to a hall. “I come on business of spiritual affairs.”

“Ah, yes.” Replied the tree, “The Stone. But what spiritual matters as that can call for a thief to claim it? Indeed have you not manipulated the royalty of Hyrule and even intimidated the princess concerning these matters. Ambition reeks about you, Dragmire, as death reeks about the hungering lust of a wolfos in desire to feed.”

“As the King of Thieves,” Responded Ganondorf, “I am the lord of Darkness as it only is honest with ambitions for the taking, and that is of itself an equality. The world of Light deceives all from the ability to reach for one’s every desire. Yet we suffer merely the cruelty of light’s burning purity and the bitterness of the wind’s cleansing breath.”

 “What then is thy desire, oh king?” Asked the Great Deku Tree solemnly.

Then Ganondorf looked up into the tree’s shaded bark eyes. “A power… to a more noble answer.”

“A reshaping rather.” The Great Deku Tree returned gravely, “But no matter how noble you esteem to make your answer, you will only find destruction. For any will that would defy the will of the goddesses will bring doom upon the world as well as to itself.” The great tree took a long and patient breath as he then proclaimed his answer. “The Spiritual Stone of the Forest was meant to be safeguarded against such wills as is yours. You may not have it.”

But Ganondorf was persistent to pursue argument. “Is that your answer when my will may bring your forest into smoke and have every child made a thrall?”

 “Though you have the power to conquer Hyrule, even the forests, I could never give to you the Stone, and there is no power of wills save for the goddesses themselves that can contend with my will.” The tree returned.

 “Fair be it. … Then I know my course of action.” The evil one replied.

Then Ganondorf called up with the voice of a wretched raven which spoke of death, and then a great shadow loomed into the meadow. And as Ganondorf’s power did cast the tree into a great sleep, the great shadow proceeded to force its way into the mouth the great tree.

And so Ganondorf left.

No fairy was aware of Ganondorf’s visit as his darkness had put all in the forest into a deep and troubled sleep.

Link’s sleep was frightfully troubled. For in his sleep the boy had dreamed of a great darkness, and in that darkness was produced a great fierce storm in a dark night unlike any the world had seen. Yet Link found himself standing on a field unfamiliar to him, and before him stood a great castle wall at mote with a draw bridge that then opened. And out galloped a white stallion with a mysterious rider of unknown origin, and with her was carried a frightened girl of royalty and the girl’s eyes beckoned to Link as though he could help. But then she was gone into the night. In following, he felt a great dread as a looming presence stood behind him, beckoning his attention, and as he turned about he fell from fear at the sight of a man of dark armor with crimson hair standing tall in the saddle in mount of a dark horse. And the man laughed deeply as he held up his hand in giving birth to a new light that grew within the hand, and then that light issued forth to envelope Link in a great pain unlike anything he could imagine, burning him as though a fire had been set upon him. And throughout his sleep the pain never ceased.

But then he felt very heavy and slow as all went dark, and then something tried to stir him as a light pierced his consciousness. A small light in the enveloping darkness appearing cold and distant as that of a blue star, and a voice begun to wake his thought in a pleasant note. A note that soon became immensely annoying.

 “Wa … Wake … Hey! … Wake Up!!” It repeated, and then the small voice became the more agitated. “Listen!! Can the world really depend on such a lazy boy??”

Grumbling then, the boy of ten stirred himself as he sat himself up, and his blue eyes widened as there flew a blue fairy before him.

“Finally!” The fairy whispered to herself as then she turned to greet him. “Hello!”

“Hi…” Link replied with a crackly voice.

And the blue fairy didn’t hesitate to conduct her announcements. “I am Navi, and I am here to be your guardian. …” At that Link’s mouth dropped in bewilderment. “And the Great Deku Tree wants to see you immediately. Urgently!”

Link was so excited that he could hardly hold himself from bursting with a cheerful yell, but then he paused as the weight of her words dawned on him. “Urgently?” His head cocked then, “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know!” She returned, “It’s very important!!”

Then Link zipped out his door as quick as he could onto the balcony, and there he paused as his eyes had to adjust to the light. Soon, he could see clearly as he overlooked the village. There were many great stumps carved into houses each, quite simple and convenient for dwelling, and the sunlight trickled through the leaves of the over head tree branches. And the light licked upon the dancing grass blades in the meadow before the houses. In the center sat a great burning place where a fire burned every night for by-passers who felt cold could warm themselves. It gave light about the village in the evenings, and some would occasionally cook about it, preparing delicate meals of rabbit, potatoes, special stews, and the such like. And upon special events with great parties, there was built a bon fire as the Kokiri would gather around. For at the bonfires were held some of the best occasions of feasts, sing-a-longs, games, and every festivity the Kokiri could think of. Except of course, the most special occasions were held before the Deku Tree himself as they would have the Feasts of Seasons, the days of the Goddesses, and more. To the north of his house, the hill climbed up on which the Know-It-All brothers lived in their isolated standing. For few liked being around the “Know It Alls” Then to the south of Link, next door, was Saria’s house, and then he stood guiltily as she came running to his house.

“Yahoo! Link!!” Saria excitedly and seeming half annoyed shouted, “How can you sleep so long?!? Our whole morning has been wasted!”

Link’s face turned red as he answered with a shrug, and then he immediately hurried down the ladder where he quickly greeted, “Good morning Saria. I’m sorry for sleeping in.”

But Saria’s attention was turned to the blue orbed fairy that flew beside him. “Is that your fairy?” She enquired with hope.

Though Link didn’t get to answer as Navi spoke instead, “Yes, I am. And we have to see the Deku Tree immediately!”

Saria then was excited with enthusiasm. “Link, that’s great! That is just Fantastic!! … Now you’re truly a Kokiri who no one can question. Even Mido will be stumped.”

 “This could be the best day of my life.” Link added, “A fateful day at least.”

 To which Navi’s orb lolled about as though it were a rolling eye. “Let’s go!”

 “Come with me?” Link beckoned to Saria as she stood serene with a smile that was warm and her voice as vibrant as the sunlight that pierced the sheltering trees.

“Of course, I will come.”

And so they went together as they went to the pathway as great boulders of the hillside stood fast as that of a great natural gateway. There before them, stood Mido as he was talking with his fairy. But then as Link came, he stood firm as if he were a sentry. “What do you think you’re up to Mr. No Fairy?”

“I come to see the Great Deku Tree.” Link proclaimed.

Mido however, merely sniggered, “And why would a ‘Fairy-less’ need to see the Deku Tree? For only true Kokiri have business with the Forest’s Father. And as long as you do not have a Fairy, you are not even a ‘real man’!”

“And just what do you suppose I am?!?” Navi sarcastically asked, beaming a little red in her orb with annoyance.

Then at the sight of her, Mido fell back in shock with eyes so wide that one would had supposed that they could had popped out. “What?!? You … You have a Fairy?”

“Yes!” Link answered with a proud and emboldened stance, "And the Deku Tree has summoned me to see him urgently.”

For a moment, the brown eyes of the orange head bully twitched with puzzlement. Yet, he eventually regained his stance, and declined Link’s passage, “Even so, the Deku Tree has bidden me to stand ward of his meadow. No one, under any circumstances are to pass.”

“What?” Saria stood forth in disgust, “After the Deku Tree as directly summoned Link, you are going to withhold him in contrary to the Deku Tree’s authority.”

But Mido stood firm, “The Deku Tree commanded me by his own mouth.” And then his own eyes changed in demeanor as though he were sincerely troubled. “He says that something is wrong with him, and that there’s trouble ahead.”

Saria and Link stood concerned then before Saria enquired further, “Is something wrong with the Deku Tree?” And she turned to Navi before Mido could utter a response. “Was he troubled when you left him?”

Then Navi’s orb turned a pale blue, “As I left him, he did not seem well.”

Then Mido injected, “If you want to see the Deku Tree, you should at least be equipped with a shield and a sword.” His tone started sincere enough; however, it emerged quite pompous at the end as it was clear that he did not believe that Link could fill the requirements.

At that, Saria paced off as she mulled over the matter.

Link nodded as he began to do the same. Yet Mido grabbed him by the shirt collar with both hands as he whispered to Link’s face with gnashed teeth. “How did you get to become the favorite of Saria and the Deku Tree? … You will never find those tools to equip.” Link returned gaze with narrowed eyes as Mido continued. “You will let them down, the tree will get better, and Saria’s heart will be mine before the end.” And then Mido shoved the blonde haired lad off with anger.

“That bum!” Saria mumbled to Link as he strode forth, whisking off his shirt collar with his hands. “If the Deku Tree is in trouble, we’ll have to work fast without a moment to spare.”

“The shield should be easy enough as they sell Deku Shields at the Shop.” Link noted.

Saria nodded thoughtfully, “Sure enough, but the sword will be difficult.”

 “I don’t remember ever hearing of a sword in Kokiri Forest before.” Link thought aloud from his vague recollection.

“There is one,” Saria said as she thought hard from life’s tales heard as she was most learned of the Kokiri in her five hundred years, for she attended to the Deku Tree’s tales and lessons most fervently. “You are still young Link, and even many of the others are very young. While we are children in form, we are more mature and knowledgeable than even we ourselves can fathom and understand. As we are “children of the forest”, we are not just merely children. Kokiri are children of the forest just as Hylians are children of Hylia. All creatures of creation are children in one means or another. We are forest spirits, and our spirits have a long history untold. As the Deku Tree has told me, the early Kokiri of old were sophisticated as they served the Royal Family of Hyrule in secret, and among them a sage lived in an old temple who harnessed the wills of the forest spirits in support of the construction of Hyrule’s great temple of utmost importance. Though I never understood what that importance was. But they crafted a sword for the coming Kokiri as it was foretold that a Hero would rise among them in the humblest abode. He would brave courage as never before seen by the Kokiri and take the Kokiri’s precious stone, token of Hyrule’s friendship, and bring it to Hyrule’s great temple. And then a sage would again be seated by the Kokiri. I never understood it, though I always loved the tale.” She smiled faintly as she thought on the legend and reminisced of the Deku Tree’s voice in telling it.

Link felt very sober in that moment, considering the idea that he now attempts to wield the tool of such a legend. But he was quick to bring Saria back to the moment’s matters. “Do you know where the sword is?”

“I don’t.” She simply stated, shaking her head. “But I can ask around. … We’ll make better time if we split up. See what you can do about purchasing that shield.” And then Saria quickly sped off tossing grass blades in her tracks.

Link sighed then, and he hurried to his house. Kokiri didn’t have much need for currency as Hyrule did, but they did have trade. For after all, what civilization exists to run without it. The Kokiri traded things of weighed value against another such as Deku Seeds, Nuts, and Sticks. Literally anything. So, as Link reached his house, he dug and searched about, tossing bed and mattress, turning over every piece of firewood, and withdrawing all cabinet drawers. And what did the boy have? Many rocks and stones of divers colors, minerals, and shapes that he found in the foot hills. There were the acorns and the Deku Nuts. Also he had a few seeds and berries. None of these items were worth very much in their own weight, but they added up. Except, they were still not enough. He would have to raise up the rest for the required sum.

Swiftly again, Link shot out of the house, breaking his steps just in time to prevent himself from flying off of the balcony. Then once on the ground, it was not long before he was scrounging around the village for anything that nature had to offer. And then he noticed Halfir busy about Saria’s house.

“What are you doing?” Link curiously enquired as he looked on the scraggly headed boy who was grumbling on his knees with his hands filthy from pulling grass in Saria’s front yard.

“Bah!” Halfir puffed, “That Mido is making me pull out all of the tall grass in front of Saria’s house! … Thinks he’ll make an impression on her or something.” His eyes rolled upon stating that last remark.

“I know that Mido can be bossy at times as he is a ‘rat’” Spoke Link with a shrug, “… But how can he ‘make’ you do anything?”

“I’ll give you two words how. …” Halfir said bluntly, “ … ‘Mido’s Fist!’ … You know that no one can stand up to his punches, except maybe you at times.”

“I see.” Replied Link with understanding. “Perhaps I can help if it’s alright with you that I keep anything that I may find while working?”

“Will you?!” Halfir returned enthused. “Sure!! Knock yourself out to anything. I just want to get this over with.”

So, Link made haste as he pulled and snapped the handfuls of grass blades while he also searched diligently for anything that might stand out. There wasn’t much save that he did find a half a dozen of crickets. An exciting find as live fishing bait would really help add to his valuable merchandise. Even better if he had actual fish. … Ah, that was a thought as he could use the bait to catch some fish to trade with. So, he quickly rigged up a line and hook.

But as he was making his way northward to the stream, he saw another unfortunate fellow bending his back over great boulder rocks in Mido’s front yard. So, with a sigh, Link walked over.

“Hi Bilf…” Link greeted with a rather unenthused tone.

Bilf huffed as he paused his labor with a short breath, “Hi Link.”

“Let me guess, Mido’s got you removing the rocks from his front yard.” Link plainly stated.

Bilf sighed, “Yep! He’s got me picking up the rocks from his yard.”

“Rolling them more likely.” Link returned with observation.

Bilf sighed again, “Yep!”

With a deep annoying breath, Link told him that he would help, and asked if he could keep anything that he could find. Unfortunately, there was nothing to find this time except for maybe a few spiders, and that was valuable to nobody unless the boys were playing tricks on the girls.

Link was about to return to his fishing expedition when Fado came up to him. “Hi Link.” The other blonde head greeted, but his demeanor quickly became one of concern. “I just talked with Saria a short while ago.” His eyes were dead serious. “Is it true? … Is something wrong with the Deku Tree? Is he ill?”

There was a pause at first, and then as he took a deep breath Link nodded, “From what we know, yes he’s ill.”

Fado nodded in response, “That would explain the increase of shades in the forest. Shadows grow, and baba plants are suddenly spreading. Not to mention that howls of wolfos were heard this morning, coming from the Lost Woods. The Deku Tree’s health would render such effect.” He paused for a moment of respect before continuing. “Saria said that you needed enough trade for purchasing a Deku Shield.” Link’s brows raised up with question then as Fado went on to say. “Take this, it should be enough to add with what you have to make the purchase.”

Then Fado presented a Slingshot of all things, for he was known to be of a steady shot. Link’s eyes widened with marvel and disbelief. “You can’t give me this. It’s too valuable for you to part with it.”

But Fado stood and spoke with wisdom of years, for he too was quite aged. Though he was a little less wise than Saria. “The Deku Tree gave you the most esteemed Fairy, Navi, and he chose YOU to come to him in his hour of need. And as Saria seeks the sword of Kokiri legend for you to wield, … I will give anything for you to accomplish what must be done.”

In that moment, Link stood serene and as encouraged as he had never felt before. With respect, he accepted the gift. “Thank you, Fado.”

Hurriedly, Link sped to the shop, and at the desk stood old Bafo, the shopkeeper. “What can I help you with Link?” His expression was quite serious.

“News travels fast.” Link observed, and Bafo nodded. And Link presented his items. “I have these to trade, if they will purchase a Deku Shield.”

Bafo could sometimes be quite the sharp trader, but he was also honorable, and wasn’t hesitant to give where a need mattered. “These will be enough.” He took everything given, but the slingshot. And when Link gave a questioned face, Bafo replied. “You have need of that more than I. Help the Deku Tree, and you will owe me nothing.”

Not knowing what else to say, Link nodded as he graciously accepted the Shield.

The Shield was as fine quality as the children of the forest had to offer, carved from a sheet of Deku wood, sturdier than black walnut wood and tougher than the most aged cedar. The emblem of the Kokiri stone was engraved upon it and painted in red. Quite fitting for one aspiring to brave off any warranted dangers.

Gratefully, he was not hesitant to seek out Saria, and eventually he found her on the crest of the Know-It-All’s hill. And there, Saria was waiting for him.

“I have the Shield, Saria. …” Link said then taking a breath, “What have you found about the Sword?”

“Well,” Saria began. “I have gathered several of our fairies, along with the Know-It-Alls.”

But then Link broke in, “You mean the Know-It-Alls actually knew something about the sword?”

Saria brazenly shook her head, “No, no, no, no … Their fairies actually knew some things about the sword. And for my understanding, it’s hidden in the labyrinth of this forest atop the hill’s crest.”

Link looked over to see the forest grow about great stones that have been impassable as the Kokiri have climbed it. Or at least, none have ever really tried. “Over there?” He indicated, and Saria nodded.

“But I don’t know how to get over.” Saria admitted, “…and that’s what I’ve been studying on.

“What if we stood together, one on another and one reached that tree branch that hangs from the other side?” Suggested Link.

Saria cocked her head. “Okay!”

Then after Saria won a short argument, she graciously stood for Link to stand atop of her. “I can just about reach…” He stretched. And then after Saria tipped on her toes, he had it. Eventually making it to the other side, there stood a path with equally tall boulders on all sides So, link followed, yet then there were multiple paths. Thus, he would choose one, and then there was another set of paths, unfortunately followed by another. Even then, he only met a dead end. He was forced to make a course correction and trace back his steps. The maze obligated him to do so often, and when he had tried all of them to no avail, he stopped with a sigh of resignation.

“What do I do now?” Link muttered aloud, “I can’t find it.”

“Is that what you believe?” Navi briskly remarked, “According to the legend of the sword, only those who believe in the legend can wield it. …” She paused with a moment of observation, “… And that’s it isn’t it? You don’t you believe that you’re the Hero. You can’t fathom the hero inside of you.”

Link returned a glare of annoyance and frustration and would had rebutted with a sharp complaint. But then he stopped himself as he thought about it. ‘That’s it, isn’t it.’ He thought, ‘I have to be able to accept the role and bravely face the challenge it brings. Despite my own desires of wanting no part of this, I have to be willing to lay myself down for them. For everyone.’

And when he raised his head again there was a great crack in the wall as it opened itself up to a new path. At the end of which, there was before him a great chest of Deku wood, with aged scars of rustic character and the seal was engraved with the Kokiri emblem. Link opened the chest and there was a cloth of lavender velvet fabric wrapped about the treasured object. As he reverently unfolded the fabric, Link found a short sword of the perfect length for a child. It was crafted of hardened steel with a hilt of bronze encased with Deku wood wherein a beautiful stone of opal had been set.

Link held it up as the light of the sun glimmered upon it as the spring greets the rising bloom, and Navi’s light flickered with delight, “You did it.”

“We’ll see.” Link stood soberly.

Upon returning to the entry wall, there was still the issue of getting back over it. “How do I get back now without Saria to help?”

“Hey!” Navi shouted, “Over there you might be able to climb those vines.”

Agreeing, Link took to the vines immediately. He tested his weight at first and as it showed to hold, he hauled on up over. Saria was overjoyed to see that he had returned with the sword strapped in its sheath on his back, and she jumped on him with her arms around his neck in an embraced hug. “I knew you’d find it.”

Link smiled, “Thanks Saria.”

Saria smiled with him for a moment before turning to make haste, “We’ve got to get you to the Deku Tree.”

“Yes, Please!” Navi remarked out of irritation. “Finally.”

As they were about to see Mido, Saria commented to Link, “As the Deku Tree needs to speak with you about such trouble you will have to go in alone.” She took his hand in hers, “But I’ll be waiting for you. Alright?”

Link stood still for a moment before nodding with understanding. “Alright.”

When Link returned, Mido was ‘still as a board’ while he was showed the shield and sword. “What?” He exclaimed, “Fine! Go in then. … But having a fairy and tools don’t change who you are Link!” The orange head commented as Link was about to head in. “It’s what’s inside your heart. You are not one of us as you don’t belong.”

Link’s jaws stiffened then as he glared at Mido with silence, and without answering the bully, he moved on to the meadow without hesitation.

Saria remained outside, and she looked up to the great tree’s boughs and leaves, seeing how they were changing rapidly. And then and there everything came to her in flashback as she mulled on the legends and stories, and she relived the memory of the night when Navi had brought Link to her, the Hylian child. Moreover a realization dawned on her as she gasped with understanding; whereas, the emerald girl turned quickly to her home as she searched frantically for something of great importance to her.

“What are you doing? ... What’s the matter?” Falith alarmingly enquired.

And Saria paused as a tear dropped from her face that was filled with dread. “I know. Everything will change now, and no matter how much I will hate to see it, there is nothing that I can do to stop it. There’s nothing to do but to … accept it.” Upon those words, she buckled into her seat at her desk and trembled her small head onto her hands upon the desk top, and Saria wept bitterly.

How do you rate this chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
1